Orky Lookin’: Forged By Chaos

By Jim Rossignol on April 20th, 2009 at 12:36 pm.

Moscow-based developers Panzer Studio have announced that they’re going to be using CryEngine 2.0 to develop their multiplayer fantasy combat game Forged By Chaos. They also claim that their spectacular “tech demo” video was “recorded during actual fight on the test arena”. If that’s true then this game embodies a rare kind of stupid cinematic magnificence. It also seems to have been influenced by something familiar. I can’t quite put my finger on it… Judge for yourself below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heliocentric says:

pretty!

2. Ashurbanipal says:

What is going on?

A fight, I understand that, but what exactly is going on? Is this a team-based deathmatch? Is this some sort of demi-god equivalent? Dawn of War 2 in an arena? It’s all a little confusing.

3. RARGPHLAM says:

I can see how that could be real time, by the animations and movement mainly.

Now for the real question, if I paint my orks red, will they run faster?

4. SirKicksalot says:

Looks just as gloriously stupid as Blood Bowl!
    Too bad it’s a multiplayer game.

5. Tei says:

This is how Warhammer Online could habe look, if photorealistic where the target. And if this is ingame. It loks like theres collision player -to-player.

6. teo says:

I don’t have any faith in russian games anymore

7. Okami says:

@teo: You mean because King’s Bounty and Men of War were such awfully bad games?

8. ReturnToNull says:

Now there’s a good use for the CryEngine, finally.

9. crozon says:

this looks interesting. will keep an eye on this un

@okami: men of war is one of the best RTS’s ever made. its got such great detail. been playing the campaign on coop and its great. and i am saying this after finishing dow2 on coop and many hours of empire total war. both of which are brilliant too.

10. Max says:

Finally someone recognised, what drawfs need to compete:
    Pogo stick boots!
    If the rest of the game wouldn’t look that cheesy and artificial, I would like it for the pogo stick boots alone.

11. Okami says:

@crozon: *sigh* forgot the [irony] tags yet again…

12. Rabbitsoup says:

looks good except that online hand to hand is a netcode and lag nightmare.

Nice to see more developers realising that Vs FPS needs not be “gritty”.

Reminds me of project offset which (having just checked) might not be vaporware. apperntly its now owned by intel and if they ever deliver on what their vids show it will be amazing.

13. Gorgeras says:

You can tell it’s the CryEngine 2.0: look at the massive frame-rate drops.

14. The Fanciest of Pants says:

Good to see a cryengine hitched up to something that doesnt suck :3

15. jph wacheski says:

looks like a tolken-esk TF2 in a gladiator arena,. may have been “recorded during actual fight on the test arena” but that is not ‘game camera’ as it would be unplayable,. may be a 3rd person game though,. would make sense with all that character detail,. wunder how it will play?

16. Overwatch_UA says:

looks like a tolken-esk TF2 in a gladiator arena — same thought crossed my mind

And holy crap, does this look great! FPS drops and lag-fest — yeah, probably, but you have got to give this credit for looking so beautiful.

17. Okami says:

EDIT: this got posted in the wrong article..
    EDIT OF THE EDIT: The edit function is back. Yay!

18. M.P. says:

OMG! It’s the bastard child of Guild Wars and Warhammer! :o Which could end up being either fun and geektastic or generic and puke-inducing.

EDIT: One thing I didn’t get – does the player control his whole team of orcy-looking beasties, or just one guy as in every other third-person action-rpg?

19. Andy`` says:

They describe it as “a symbiosis between RPG and classic multiplayer – huge interactive world, NPCs, solo and team quests, along with integrated deathmatch-like battles (up to 32 by 32 players).” More here:

I’m guessing 3rd person, controlling a single character (with maybe NPC support sometimes, like in Guild Wars). Hard to be sure though. Screenshots look pretty at least.

20. Erlam says:

It looks like WSG to me, hahaha.

I agree that the framerate drops were indicative of the CryEngine.

If I ewre to play that game, I sure learned one thing from that video – play Ranged!

21. Gnarl says:

Reminded me of Labyrinth (the film). And Flash Gordon with the moving floor bit. And Overlord in places. Oh, and WAR! obviously. Any of those Mr. Rossignol? Or were you just being sarcastic?

Looks possibly promising, if the fighting’s any fun. It seems unlikely that those two sets of fellow lined on up without a bit of training though. Unless they’re some sort of pet, which could be amusing.

22. Krondonian says:

Reminded me a tad of Painkiller. Sounds like a nice concept, should be interesting to see if it gets a good community behind it on release.

23. Okami says:

along with integrated deathmatch-like battles (up to 32 by 32 players)

Wouldn’t that be 1024 players?

24. manveruppd says:

So they’ve taken the Savage 2 idea and expanded it? (And dressed it in a Warhammer skin.)

25. djomg says:

meh. too piggy for me. too much snorting. reminds me of RFK.

26. Serondal says: