The Swinging Level 60s: Champions!

By Kieron Gillen on April 23rd, 2009 at 4:23 pm.

If this was outside I'll be swinging about and not fighting you, robot thing.

I tried hard to get a quote from 90s-chick-flick-for-blokes Swingers, but failed. And then I considered a Thin-white-rope gag… OH THIS DOESN’T MATTER. What matters is that Champions have revealed one of its new travel powers. And it’s one which any City of Heroes veteran would crave. Yes, it’s doing the impractical Spider-man/Daredevil/Anna Mercury zipline around a city-scape one. Footage of this is beneath the cut, and you can still register for the Beta.

If you were a superhero, how would you get around? I’d use unlicensed Minicabs. I’d be able to fly, but I’d like the element of random uncertainty in my megapowerful life.

1. Inanimotion says:

D:
    Do want!
    Need beta!
    Boring stats class!

2. DK says:

All this shows is that they took the incredibly horrible shortcut of not actually having the line attach to anything. It looks horrible and is a conceit to “gameplay” – aka make every travel power equally useful and equally boring.

3. Bobsy says:

Actually I thought it showed that they were having it attach to buildings and stuff where it was available, but still function in places where not-New-York skyscrapers were unavailable. Which is sensible, really. Travel powers that limit you to urban areas would be a pain.

4. Rob says:

I only played a little bit of the beta so far, and I wasn’t too fond of what i saw. But I’m waiting for the next playtest to try again.

5. DK says:

@Bobsy, City of Heroes showed that travel powers don’t have to resort to gameing the system to be viable.
    You only have to balance speed/user input and terrain dependancy in equal measure.
    For example, Swinging should be one of the fastest travel powers, since it requires a lot of user input and is very limited by terrain – in contrast to flight, which is an incredibly simple travel power with no terrain limits.
    Making the lines attach to thin air not only looks stupid, but is also a shortcut devised by someone who has no imagination (Bill Roper is their lead game designer – what a coincidence).

6. Bobsy says:

Lucky schmuck. The never got back to me. I want in for shiny hero antics!

7. roBurky says:

Left-hand only, eh?

8. Catastrophe says:

This is fighting al la CoX and WoW isnt it? Click to Target then click button to cast power? As oppose to DConline’s live action “aiming” al la Darkfall?

9. Lu-Tze says:

I wonder how it looks from someone else’s view… does the rope stop 20 feet above their head or carry on to infinity?

Actually, i’d totally take that power if a magic demon popped into existence through a portal 20 foot above your head and grabbed onto the other end of the rope, then vanished in a puff of smoke. That would be badass.

10. Jonas says:

It DOES rather look like some of those are basically tethered to thin air, doesn’t it?

11. Nick says:

Who cares.. it looks fun.

12. Theoban says:

I’d travel like the Wheelers from Return to Oz. Fast, unpredictable and always squeaking, squeaking, squeaking.

13. Nurdbot says:

Looks much more exciting that fly. It could top Jump as my favourite travel power.

14. Tei says:

This game hang by a rope. This is probably the less exciting movement type. I am sure all other types are more cool :-)

Gnarl says:

I’d like to fly, but with the caveat that it would only work if you did swiming strokes, especially the backward crawl. And yeah nothing hitting rope looks lame. By the by the mention of Wheelers will almost certainly mean I dream of them tonight, and not in the fun way.

16. Ginger Yellow says:

If I were a superhero, one of my powers would be to have buses turn up as I arrive at the stop and the tube to arrive as I get to the platform (with seats available, of course).

17. Marcin says:

Not bad. Considering that games that are fully dedicated to just the ONE travel power still fail to get it (exception being the incoming Bionic Commando, at least gauging by the videos), this looks quite, quite decent between-buildings, while not sacrificing mobility without them.

Now lemme into the beta! 799 CoH hours worth of experience (according to XFire) right here!

For me it’s always about the Superjump. I’ve started buying games solely on the presence of such, in fact (Crackdown’s have been the best, recently).

18. DMJ says:

Tribes had the best travel. The Tribes jetpack/ski system really rewarded those who took the time and effort to learn how to use it.

19. AlexW says:

It’s a pretty threadbare system, if we’re honest. Really ropey.

Also, Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man 1. Why can’t they get this? I fully agree with DK. Swinging should be doable wherever there’s something vertically above you only, but in those areas it should be possible to go almost ridiculously fast. With a little practice, it’d be possible to move through inside areas like the guys in Worms trick videos, thereby making up for the more mundane movement in outside areas.

Or perhaps it would instead go for the web-zip option in those locations – jump, swing-line forward, pull yourself along, repeat. Either way, pointing out the invisible ceiling in the sky = bad.

20. Antsy says:

This game is so money and it doesn’t even know it.

21. Dinger says:

You mean the Swingin’ Danglers, KG? I fail to see the reference; or rather, I’m not iinvolved at all…

22. Satsuz says:

AlexW reminds me of my days spent playing Spider-man games. I improvised several travel methods in those games for areas lacking the space or lofty items to web at. If they were smart, they would have looked for ways to use your rope tool other than just swinging (as AlexW said). Look at Spidey’s zip line or Batman’s grappling hook for examples. Launching ropes that can pull you to their anchor point makes so much more sense.

23. Nenad Ristic says:

I love it… Yet another reason that I cannot wait for the beta… Really hoping I get in on this one!

24. TooNu says:

We are really looking forward to this game, good and just a nice bright fun game :)

25. Rei Onryou says:

Applied in Jan, still no invite. Sadface. :(

26. Dirk says:

Wire Animals as the headline, maybe.

27. Melf_Himself says:

I have to agree, having a rope that’s not attached to anything makes no sense. Still, pretty cool though.

28. Nick says:

It was a play on “The swinging 60′s” which the decade is often refered to as.

29. Fentible says:

The rope isn’t attaching to nothing, it is attaching to something off camera. The difference is palpable!

30. ChampionHyena says:

Signed up for beta.

Got into beta.

Can’t log into beta, because there are testing “windows” I have to fit into.

Can’t log into beta ANYWAY because IT STILL WON’T LET ME IN EVEN DURING THE SCHEDULED TESTS NNNNNGNGNNGH

31. Freestylinyoshi says:

Ok , let me end this with something that hasn’t been done/said.
    Duel travel powers, for those that lack certain umph to them
    like Swinging should come with Superjump

By this i mean, it should be a seperate branch of a travel power. Take super jump for instance.

When you reach lvl 5 you get super jump, but as you stumble onto lvl 10 you should be presented with a choice stem, to continue super jump or add swinging. Thus , swingers won’t be limited in the jungle since they can still super jump.

Further more that which I intended to say has not been said. Someone please add Vehicles as a travel power.

Vehicles:
    Something you can only use outside, but you can call it to your location and it will drive to you. and you can have a teammate get in as well, depending on if it’s a motorcycle or a “bat-mobile”

And just to put it in there…some people enjoy aura when they fly….or some type of “super takeoff” not just oh watch me hover off the ground.

last but not least this game is the best in the making first of it’s kind (first of it’s kind being Free roam in character creation and power sets) customizing up the butt that you have ever seen.
    Who else lets you customise where your powers come from rather it be your hand or your foot you shoot your blast from…and who lets you choose the style in which you run.
    Keep your eyes on the videos the guy runs like a ninja! a NINJA!

so what I’m trying to say fellow gamers, be thankful for the opportunity to be part of something new