Sha-Boom Sha-Boom: Mafia II In Game Footage

By John Walker on April 27th, 2009 at 11:24 am.

Finally you get to see the video this shot's from.

After a few unofficial leaks, 2K have made sure there’s a far more comprehensive set of game footage trailers for Mafia II. Three of them, in fact, which you’ll find below. The show the truncated mission that was shown to press behind vast stone doors earlier this month, which show off the three main aspects of Mafia II. There’s the walking and driving around the remarkably detailed streets, the way the cutscenes work, and some of the shooty-gun-bang action. You can read more details about it all in our preview and interview.

Tell the videos you’re 109 years old three times in a row, and you’ll see Vito and Joe as they sneak their way through a building complex to plant a bomb, and the resulting chaos. It’s the tiny details that these videos show off really well. The destructive environments, the bustling life of the city, and the humming. So much humming.

, , .

1. Schmung says:

This looks utterly splendid. Can’t wait for it to be released.

2. matte_k says:

@ Schmung: Seconded.

3. Sum0 says:

To think I’d almost forgotten what pure fun looked like in a video game.

This looks fun.

4. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Looks good…although I did detect a degree of pop in from pedestrians and cars. GTA had ‘fade in’ for a less jarring effect, hope the devs add that.

5. Qris says:

Where is the life bar?? (see fotage nr 2)

6. beloid says:

there’s none, it’s a CoD2 regenerating health system

7. Lars BR says:

Degree of pop in? That was pretty jarring. Hope that gets fixed (or at least better on the PC!)

Also, the last bit of the shoot out before the getaway, there was some hint of stupid ai – the player (who’s probably played this bit a thousand times) knew exactly where they’d put their tiny head next. Hate that.

Not to say that I’m not looking forward to it, obviously :)

8. bob arctor says:

Driving camera needs making more fluid, apart from that looks ace.

More fun than Mafia 1, which was punishingly difficult. You want to feel like you’re in an action mobster film.

9. Ziv says:

@mr wondrewstuff: so what??? it seems like it works much better than GTA4! the game looks very promising, let’s just hope it doesn’t get fucked up like far cry 2 did…. and GTA…. and hellgate….. and stalker…… and fallout 3(to some extent)…. mass effect…. crysis warhead…. so if that’s what going to be wrong in this game than I’m totally fine w/ that, the developer seems serious and the game too so why be so picky about these stuff? did you know that making this fade in make your line of sight closer because anyway the whole model has to be loaded, it’s just for the looks and doesn’t give you anything especially for the people who play on lower spec systems.

10. Cooper says:

RPS R ON THE MAKE FRM 2K!!!11! MAPHIA, BIOSHOCK R ALL OVR HERE LIKE THEIR ADVERTISIN 4 2K!! BOYCOTT RPS LOLZ

11. Jubaal says:

It is looking very nice. A few small gripes, firstly I hope the amount of apparaent cut-scenes doesn’t take away from your involvement and perception of being in control. Also the moving animation and facial expressions could probably do with some work while they are in combat as there wasn’t a sense of urgency in their movement and expressions.

12. Aldo says:

Other than the pop in, looks rather spiffing.

13. skalpadda says:

Have to agree with the above that this looks like pure amazing fun!

Did he turn over a grand piano with gunfire there though? Impressive kick in those guns ;)

Vandelay says:

Only skimmed the videos, as this is a game I really want to enjoy properly. Everything looks in order. The graphics are absolutely stunning and the acting and animation are as good as I’ve seen (HL2 finally has a contender.) The pop-in was quite annoying and also didn’t seem to be at a fixed distance; I’m sure I saw people walk to a further distance than those that magically appeared and managed to stay on the screen, which made the effect even more jarring.

But this is such a minor niggle. Mafia was still amazing with whole buildings that jumped up out of no where.

15. Pavel says:

I think the pop-in and too stiff car camera will be fixed…this is just a prealpha version, after all.

16. El Stevo says:

Ah, the old classic: give great care and attention enacting elaborate plan, and then end up having to shoot fuck out of everything anyway.

Looks brill though. Really looking forward to this.

17. Post Maker says:

If you look closely you can see the lid of the grand piano slams shut, toppling it over.

THE POWER OF PHYSICS.

18. Chaz says:

Yep I found the pop-in of the pedestrians and cars very noticable too. Lets hope they make it less jarring on the eyes and fade them in or something. Apart from that it’s looking very nice indeed. The combat is the only other thing I’m a little worried about, as the aiming looks a bit twitchy à la Kane and Lynch at the moment.

19. ZIGS says:

I could have lived without the damned cover system. Seriously, why does every game nowadays have to have a cover system?! I dunno about you guys but I think it completely kills the pacing and makes the game boring. Take Wanted for example: little over 3 hours long and I STILL didn’t finished it. Why? Because the cover system makes the game BORING.
    I’m hoping the open-endedness and overall scope of Mafia 2 can be enough to nullify the effects of the cover system. I want to enjoy this game, like I did with the first

20. John Walker says:

When I was shown this vid at 2K Czech we were warned that it would show pop-in, and that it would be fixed before release. They would say that, of course. But release is still a fair distance away.

21. Kieron Gillen says:

I remember when people got really angry about all the games which didn’t let you lean. Be careful what you wish for and all that.

(Cover systems are an interesting one in another way: Cover systems are much more elaborate than what we had before. It’s a “how dare these console games clever-up our PC games” response.)

KG

22. HidesHisEyes says:

the AI sidekick looked like a bit of a chocolate teapot; apart from the one he threw out the window, did he do anything?

still really looking forward to it, anyway.

Vandelay says:

I don’t have a problem with a cover system here at all actually. I seem to remember spending most of my time in the original Mafia’s shoot-outs behind cover, so it makes sense. At least it isn’t a first-person game, with the camera jumping out into a third-person perspective for cover.

24. ZIGS says:

@ Vandelay:

That’s my opinion anyway

25. Dizet Sma says:

“Hey, Colt 1911′s with modified clips, 23 shots… Be careful, only two in the world.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be reloading after every three shots anyway”

Oh, and how if the bad guys hide behind a thin table, you manage to shoot through it, but when the hero does the same, you can’t? And as for the idea of hiding behind a stack of cases on a trolley while a guy blazes away at you with a Thompson SMG…

26. psyk says:

“At least it isn’t a first-person game, with the camera jumping out into a third-person perspective for cover.” who ever thought that was a good idea needs to be shot.

27. Koopa says:

Using cover is fine by me, but for the love of all that’s holy, I cannot comprehend how hiding behind a cover gives you full health all of a sudden. I want my medkits!

28. Simon says:

It may be just me, but there’s a much more .. deliberate vibe to this. If you don’t mind the console game comparison: more Yakuza then GTA.

Other things console game brought to the pc:
    Inaccuracy, specifically in the military sims (think: the expanding/shrinking crosshairs).
    Apparently, neither dual analogue nor mouse & keyboard is suitable on their own, without some software fiddling with the hit percentages, for proper shooting.

29. Jochen Scheisse says:

Meh, Kieron. Thief had cover before it was teh seks.

30. Colthor says:

On an entirely different note, I wonder how many people – according to GameTrailers’ statistics – are born on the first of January?

(The game looks interesting, and quite pretty – especially the tree at the start of video 3.)

31. Kieron Gillen says:

Jochen: Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about.

KG

32. Chaz says:

My favourite “cover system” if you could call it such, was from Vietcong 1&2. Just normal first person moving up to and ducking behind cover, but when you went to aim down iron sights you would lean out to the side or over the top of what ever it was you were sheltering behind. It looked and felt so natural. None of this pressing a button to glue yourself to a wall, which you then have to awkwardly pull away from to unstick yourself. Despite a few having already moaned about it here, as far as those systems go I thought the R6 Vegas one has been the best so far, although clearly designed for a joypad.

33. Ashen says:

Are you suggesting the binary GOW-style cover system is more elaborate than what Thief had? If so, the mind boggles.

34. Mr Wonderstuff says:

@Ziv

Chill out please. It was an observation not a critique of the game (how could it be? I havent played it). I was saying that GTA 4 had a smoother transition for pop-in…not sure what you problem is.

Oh and I disagree with all those games you mentioned as being “f***d up”. They were great…all of them, even FC2.

35. Kieron Gillen says:

Ashen: Yes, because all PC games had the Thief cover system.

KG

36. Xercies says:

Oh god please can we get rid of this stupid regenerative health system, the guys said they wanted to make it realistic and they put a regenerative health system in it. Uh yeah that’s realistic isn’t it. I really hate regenerative health.

37. skalpadda says:

Post Maker:

THE POWER OF PHYSICS.

Ah, just watched it again, and it is indeed as you say. Perhaps the pianos in this game are sentient beings and it was trying to assume a non-threatening pose of submission by rolling over on it’s back? :)

38. Serondal says:

@Simon I don’t think that is something consoles gave to PC. As far as I remember Rainbow Six had this feature in it, can’t even think of an FPS for the console that predates that with the inaccurate sights that change based on your movement/posture. Could be wrong ;)

39. no says:

I have the original Mafia somewhere, but I didn’t play it much. I probably played it for an hour or two after it was first released. Maybe I should go back and play it again? Especially now that I’ve heard how bad Godfather II is (which is a game I had really looked forward to).

Vandelay says:

“One thing is being able to take cover, another is this “Gears of War” cover system that’s being used more and more in new games, which I think detracts from the gameplay. It pretty much turns any game into Time Crisis.” ZIGS

I don’t really see the difference between me planting myself behind cover and holding the crouch button, to me planting myself behind cover and pressing the cover button. The only thing that changes is the fact that it does a more realistic cover animation instead of a crouch animation, the effect is still the same.

41. Guhndahb says:

I’m still grumpy when I can’t lean in a 1st person game, but unfortunately, that’s far less often an issue anymore with less and less 1st person games – which I far prefer over 3rd person. But I know I’m in the minority on that since that trend is obviously following people’s preference.

42. Weylund says:

@Chaz: Yes. Vietcong did that really well. With a more open-ended story that game could have been a blockbuster in addition to being excellent.

@Simon: Dude, Navy SEALs (a PC game that came out in 1994, if memory serves) had “inaccuracy” based on your stance, movement speed, the amount of fire you were taking, etc. You could easily burn through your ammo load without hitting anything . And that was, yes, an FPS, which as far as I know never came out on consoles, despite sharing a name with later, inferior, games.

43. Serondal says:

I dunno if squating down behind some cover then popping out and shooting someone in the head is realistic as it appears in Gears of War. I’d say more cinematic for sure though! It is a lot more fun to watch than just squating down behind the same wall in First person plus in 3rd person you can cheat and look over the cover and see what is going on without poking your head out.

I’d say games like ArmA ect that allow you to lean your head and gun around corners is a bit more realistic but less interesting to watch ;). A game like Mafia II should go the most cinematic route possible since it never claims any level of realism.

44. The Colonel says:

If they’re fixing the popping then that’s fine. My big concerns are with the combat mechanics. Firstly, why would you replace the character reacting to being shot and it disrupting your ability to shoot with the screen going red like EVERY OTHER BLOODY CONSOLE SHOOTER!!? It just looks awful. One of the things that made Mafia’s combat so satisfying is that being hit was actually detrimental to you rather than completely irrelevent. With recharging health the only thing you have to watch out for is not getting hit too much. The cover system just makes all games play pretty much exactly the same.

45. DonCornholio says:

I hate this over the right shoulder camera angle shite. What’s wrong with having your character neatly balanced and centered in the middle?

46. psyk says:

“fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make the moment you shut out there shrill tremulous(think thats right?) voices the happier you’ll be for it” Needs to be updated to just say gamers.

47. MetalCircus says:

Oh it looks beautiful. Nice to see they’ve retained that attention to detail in the enviroments. The street activity was splendid, the people in the office building was great too, and the trademark cinematic style is still there (when the barman runs out and gets shot to pieces)

It’s strange, it looks like Mafia, but like a more fun version. Which is good.

48. Rei Onryou says:

I told the video that I was 110 years old. Take that Walker!

49. Aorawn says:

What bugs me is the tight chase-cam while driving. I prefer a more loose cam, gives it a more cinematic feel. Must just be me =/

50. Dave Gates says:

I’m loving the gangster swagger, very nice.