Racy, Free-Roaming FUEL Action

By Jim Rossignol on April 27th, 2009 at 8:57 pm.

Okay, I promise I won’t post any more FUEL trailers until at least next week. Maybe the week after. But the first of these two game-footage spools really does give an impression of how free and open that game world is, although it’s a bit of a shame that whoever is driving keeps bouncing off the scenery. But, you know, this is one of those games where it’s probably not going matter to how good the race action is, because I’ll be off trying to leap over some crevasse I found. Anyway, go see… (And if you need a reminder as to why we’re interested in this, check out our interview.)

, , .

1. hydra9 says:

This looks great. The bit towards the end of the second trailer, where he’s driving through the trees, reminded me of a current-gen Deathchase.

2. tom says:

Man alive – that’s big!
    90+mph ove terain like that?! You can kiss your balls and future family goodbye.

3. espy says:

Is there any way to actually crash? That was ridiculously tolerant of driving errors.

4. Rep says:

I think i’m looking forward to this less as time goes by. The way you bounce off anything when you hit it under 40mph? Meh.

Also, the engine sounds are rubbish and annoying, and why does his bike get stuck on a slight-hill start? Is he riding around in 6th gear constantly or something?

5. Linfosoma says:

I like the open ended feel of the game, but control looks a bit floaty, specially when the bike “crashed” the first two times.

6. Monchberter says:

If this reminds me of anything, it’s Star Wars Racer. The sense of speed over open countryside, feeling of freedom etc etc.

Good, because i loved that game and am a huge fan of GRID and DIRT although the way you can’t fall off seems a bit immersion breaking.

7. Meatloaf says:

Mmmmm. Delicious delicious trailers.

FUEL is actually looking to be a splendid game. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

8. Hmm-hmm. says:

I’m so very much not into racing games, but this.. actually looks really, really fun. Also probably too much for my machine to handle, but fun.

9. Ziv says:

mototrbike maddness!!!!!!!! time to dust ye ol’ sidewinder!

10. Grey_Ghost says:

Aw, it had me till he started bouncing comically off obstacles.

11. The Fanciest of Pants says:

Hopefully I can run it, because me want.

12. James Allen says:

Very interesting, but I am worried about the simultaneous console release and how port artifacts might affect the PC version. The big question is: can I easily make my own race layouts (like draw with mouse or click waypoints)?

13. NuZZ says:

Isn’t this the future? If so, why is there an engine sound?

14. JoeX111 says:

Now, if you could mesh this with, say, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift’s crash and physics engine, it’d be the perfect game. But man, that bouncing-off-the-rock-and-tree makes me hesitate.

15. DF7 says:

It almost seems like you can tape a key down and go in a straight line for ever. The problem with an open world is that the best route between two points is a straight line. Which doesn’t make for an interesting race. I’ll pass.

16. The Sombrero Kid says:

i’ve got to second (100th?) the view that the bike collisions are well dodgy, i’d rather fall off and be immersed than stay on and feel like a concrete block.

17. Cigol says:

Boring. Not in a condescending jump on the bandwagon sort of way, but in a ‘hmpf… that really was boring’ sort of way.

And besides, when will someone make a game with proper off-roading physics, complete with annoying ramblers for you to run over (and over) on the way?

18. Ian says:

It’s a shame I’m really interested in this, because I will undoubtedly suck so, so hard at it.

19. jon_hill987 says:

The lack of proper crashing has lowered this game from “looking forward to” to “I couldn’t care less”.

20. Rei Onryou says:

Definitely need a definitive answer as to whether this is any good.

At the end of the first video, he does fall off from the crash, so I’m guessing they just have to make hitting objects a lower speeds feel more weighty, rather than BOING!

21. Flappybat says:

That was the least HD HD trailer I’ve seen so far.

22. r.dee says:

The idea of openspace racing was in off-road racing game INSANE. That one was really cool, except there were no bikes in it. Will check fuel demo for sure, looks interesting.

23. Hypocee says:

But sweeping powerslides on a motorbike is totally convincing!

That said, it was very silly of them to put those ridiculous collisions in a promo video. Hopefully they feel less stupid when you’re busy playing.

The straight line criticism’s been addressed by the producer in some interview, maybe even RPS’ – roady vehicles go faster, so you can wind up with a situation where driving the longer route at higher speed gets you there faster.

24. loci says:

terrain has no effect on the bike….you simply float along without a care for bumps etc
    ive now officially lost all interest

25. Chaz says:

Is there anything to find or discover in this huge open world? As it’s all very nice having a huge open world to explore, but if all you’re doing is just driving around it for the sheer sake of it, then it all seems a bit pointless to me. Maybe I’m just missing the point that this is a big open world sandbox racing game and that is all you’re supposed to be doing in it.

When I see a game like this I just can’t help but feel there should be something a bit more to it. Guns! That’s what this game is missing. Now if I could drive around the map and hunt people down and shoot them, then I’d be up for a purchase.

26. Davee says:

As long as they do something about the strange vehicle physics and handling so that it has some “feel” to it (like, say DIRT or GRID), this may very well become one of my fav racing games ever!

27. Like.to.Gamble says:

For me that looks really cool and i could feel the physics as great.

28. ACESandElGHTS says:

Hopefully all the criticism is premature. It’s unfortunate that they would release that with only a month to go before release, but it doesn’t completely ruin it for me.
    Before Burnout, there was racing. Really. You don’t need to pile up your vehicle every time you hit an obstacle. Where’s the realism in that anyway? Oh I completely fucking wrecked my vehicle! Oh, look, it’s perfectly shiny and new again now!