Dead Rising 2: Moose Of The Dead

By Alec Meer on April 28th, 2009 at 4:13 pm.

Given the entire internet is busy spaffing about this today, we might as well join the fray – if only cos it’s always funny when someone accuses us of trying to be like Kotaku because we’ve posted something pop.

While Capcom’s first tongue-in-cheek free-roaming zombie-smasher was strictly for the Xbox Three-Hundred-And-Sixty Machine, the 2010-due sequel will also arrive on our glorious personal computer boxes. Joy! Footage below, which despite being pretty crass includes at least two ultra-lol moments.

Key points:
– the setting’s moved from a Dawn of the Dead homaging shopping mall to what appears to be a Vegas nod
– The protagonist doesn’t look like a very nice man
– 6,000 on-screen zombies at once, apparently. Lawks.
– Moose!
– OH MY GOD HE JUST TOTALLY DROVE THROUGH A CROWD FULL OF ZOMBIES ON A MOTORBIKE WITH TWO CHAINSAWS STRAPPED TO IT.

Do we still have room in our hearts for another zombie death-orgy? For one as wantonly silly as this, surely the answer’s yes. My main concern is that the first game stopped being fun about two hours into the storyline, due to a series of really awful bossfights. Hopefully lessons have been learned, but without making the sequel too aimless.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Nick says:

I hope for a mod that replaces the name Chuck with something else.

Preferably anything but Randy or Zach.. or Todd.

Or Cody.

2. Schmung says:

I’ve still not finished the first one despite it coming with my 360 when I bought it. As mentioned, it just gets horrible difficult and a dull due to boss fights and to-ing and fro-ing, which is a jolly shame.

Would be if they used that fancy pants GTAIV/Force Unleashed euphoria physics tech in this new one – much hilarity one ensue.

3. Rob says:

Hell yes PC version.

I’m going to name my guy Ramrod.

4. Tei says:

I must probably not make a joke about swine-flu, or consoles, in this one.

5. duel90 says:

Chuck looks like a raving moto GP fan and his head is far to square for my liking. But he’s killing all the zombies so i guess its okaay…

6. lumpi says:

Swine flu, mutating.

7. Matt Kemp says:

I wouldn’t want you guys to be like Kotaku – you guys are good journalists.

I like the presentation of the trailer. The chainsaws-strapped-to-stuff gimmick – new feature? It would be pretty cool to take a semi-lethal weapon and attach four chainsaws with duc-tape to make it truly gory.

8. AbyssUK says:

Capcom eh? on the PC eh? just like SF IV eh!! Still waiting Capcom!

9. Björn says:

Oh, Moose! Since no one else has said it yet: I can speak English, I learn it from a book!

10. Inanimotion says:

My jaw dropped.
    Then I started laughing hysterically.

Can’t wait.

11. Dan Harris says:

I want Street Fighter IV too.

12. Ian says:

Would like this to be super-fun. Have still never played the original.

13. Moonracer says:

Never got to try the first one, but yeah looks like another great couch game. Fun and over the top enough that you can take turns playing and watching. Very cool that it is getting some PC love!

14. The Fanciest of Pants says:

I for one, can never get enough zombies. Naming my guy Jack Starburst btw

15. Vincent Avatar says:

CHUCK GREENE: ACTION HERO.

Seriously, where did they get these names from? Space Mutiny?

16. Serondal says:

I’ve always wanted to play a game where I can kill zombies and damn them to a moosey fate . . .

BTW there is a pretty good zombie mod for Arma if you wanna wet your wistle with zombie slaying action whilst you wait for this. Dare I say it is a “realistic zombie shooter” lol

17. Genki says:

Dead Rising 2? What is this, Kotaku?

…jk

18. Sinnerman says:

There is a fine line between the sublime and the ridiculous. Dead Rising was sublime but the amount of multiple chainsaws being attached to other things and used as weapons in this trailer is an interesting development.

19. WaywardBuddha says:

As a huge fan of the original Romero films and all zombie flicks in general, I really appreciated the first game immensely. It was one nod after another to Dawn of the Dead and other movies, while remaining truly fun and campy. I never even bothered with the story line, because it was never as much fun as just blowing off steam after a day at work by beating zombies over the head with a mop from the Men’s Room.

The sequel looks to keep that goofy fun intact from the trailer. Having it on the PC is a nice bonus too. The XBox360 has been relegated to a closet after getting frustrated with lockups and the ridiculous fan noise. No game console should be that loud. I never even got to finish Eternal Sonata because I just couldn’t take the sound of a Boeing 767 taking off in my living room anymore.

20. Dominic White says:

For those of you who never played the original Dead Rising, here is a fantastic review that should largely sum up why you should be interested in the sequel, courtesy of our now-defunct but still-fantastic friends in Scotland: VideoGaiden.

It’s one of those weird games that has a lot of elements that most would consider flaws that somehow actually work themselves excellently into the gameplay. Just don’t play it if you suffer from crippling gamer-OCD. It’s Romero style zombie stuff, so you aren’t going to be saving everyone first time round. There will be mistakes and casualties, and that’s fine.

It’s packed to the gills with time limits, escort missions, degrading weapons, random elements, a limited save system, chunks of content you can miss/fail permanently, and if any of these things were removed from the equation, it wouldn’t be nearly as intense and fun as it is. It really makes you feel like the hero in a zombie movie – always low on resources, always outnumbered, living from moment to moment on instinct and adrenaline and saving the idiot survivors from having their brains eaten, because you’re the only one who can. And when things go wrong and people die, you can’t just quickload – you have to accept that you’ve fucked up and keep on fighting, because that’s how it is in the movies.

Tis’ quite brill.

21. Octacon9001 says:

All we need is a montage of the guy making his duel-chainsaw/stick/lightsaber thing in a shed, followed by by him saying “groovy” and it would be the best homage to Evil Dead 2’s chainsaw hand scene of all time.

22. Serondal says:

This is my boom stick?

Vandelay says:

They’ve also forgotten our version of Resident Evil 5. I thought Capcom were meant to be the one company making any sense in that PC Gamers Alliance. They’ve made the right noises but where is the proof?

24. Alec Meer says:

We don’t want a version of RE5, surely?

25. Gap Gen says:

Is that Ali G?

26. Serondal says:

@Vandelay – That sounds like something I’ve asked my wife before . . . You’re made the right noises but where is the proof?

@Gap Gen – You’ve just created a wonderful new idea for a video game. An Ali G / Borat adventure game!!!

27. Nick says:

@Vincent – Bulk Vanderhuge! Splint Chesthair!

28. Funky Badger says:

RE5 = good. Surely?

29. Nick says:

I’ve heard mixed opinions.. mainly due to the inventory and the stupid crappy AI pal.

30. MrFake says:

RENAME: “Extreme Makeover: Zombie Edition” They’ve already got Ty Pennington signed up as the lead…

Seriously, why not go with the cheese-head face model from that concept art up top? He’s got the heavy-metal brow, cheek-bones, and shaggy-yet-clean-shaven drummer-beard, plus the faux-product-placement moto jacket could easily hide the beer gut. It’s still an awful choice, but I refuse, yes refuse, to fight the zombie hoard as pantywaist Chuck Pennington.

Man, my priorities are messed up.

31. dmauro says:

Because it can’t be said enough:
    “awful bosses”

I’m hoping they fix that and make the game that Dead Rising should have/could have been.

32. Mister Yuck says:

Man, it pains me that so many people seemed to miss the point of Dead Rising. You weren’t supposed to be able to beat it the first few play throughs: you have to dick around, explore and level up. Once you’ve leveled up pretty high the main story is doable.

It’s a very different game, and I hope they manage to get that across for the sequel. It’s too bad that so many people seemed to miss the point of the original and therefore miss the fun.

33. Dominic White says:

I beat Dead Rising on my first playthrough. Got the best ending, too. Only died three times, I think. It’s really not that hard – it just seems that modern gamers have gotten astoundingly wussy, unable to overcome even the simplest of pattern-based boss fights.

I refuse to believe that anyone lost to Adam the Clown. It’s just not possible if you’re not dumber than a dog.

34. Funky Badger says:

Nick: I’ve played through RE5 and it is good. Yahtzee over-stated the AI problems (which only erally become an issue in the final fight if you play it single-player) and the inventory isn’t too bad. (You could rationalise this away anyway, I mean, how easy would it be trying to fiddle in your pockets with a zombie nomming your brains?)

Basically, it’s RE4, but in Africa and not quite as batshit insane…

35. Pidesco says:

RE4 was bad enough and if RE5 is more of the same, who cares if it’s not on PC. Dead Rising 2 and SF4 can’t get here soon enough, though.

While writing this post, I read it with a Scottish accent, so please do the same. That Dead Rising review was awesome.

36. Nick says:

I say, RE4 was bad? It was great fun on the Wii…

Read that in an upperclass 40’s English gentleman accent.

But this is straying off topic – Dead Rising 2 looks pretty great already, I wonder how long we’ll have to wait for the port.

37. Stupoider says:

We’re all gentlemen here, Nick. Curled moustaches and suits by the bundle!

So yep, Dead Rising 2! Looking good! I still haven’t played the original, I should get round to getting a copy for my 360. Insane amounts of zombies, check! <3

And I might as well join this RE5 discussion. It didn’t really strike me that RE5 would fit in on the PC. I just thought it was a console series, through and through. If it was coming to the PC, I wouldn’t be too surprised if it arrived as a terrible console port. :< Plus, the reviews I’ve seen were fairly mediocre, so nothing of value was lost!

38. Serondal says:

Heard RE5 is racist or something? And this is according to X-play O.o Is this true?

39. mrrobsa says:

*agrees with Dominic and Mr.Yuck*
    Dead Rising was/is an amazing game, bar maybe one or two boss fights (gun shop springs to mind), I can’t think of a single thing that I would change. It had great replayability and part of that is due to the fact you cant go everywhere/beat everything in your first playthrough. Plus once you kill the clown you have an unlimited supply of the best weapon in the game (mini-chainsaw).
    Some people were put off I feel because the game doesn’t give you everything on a plate, examples such as no quick save and one save slot have already been given, but its all the better for it I feel, they stuck strongly to their creative vision.
    This sequel looks exciting but I’m still worried due to the new devs and I miss Frank.

40. Po0py says:

Nice. I had no idea it was coming to PC. No doubt, though, it will arrive four or five months late and with no fanfair and I’ll have already given in to temptation and purchased it for my box and controller machine.

41. Black Mamba says:

The one possible great thing about a PC version would be a mod/hack to remove any time limits. Apparently they are still toying with the idea of having the same 72 hour time limit in the first game.

For those unaware the first game had this great place to explore full of zombies but then cruelly had you stick to time limit to ruin any fun of exploring. There is a decent lets play over at SA currently ongoing showing off the first game if you’ve never played it.

The only other worry item is this isn’t being done by Japanese developers and it may be missing that entertaining weirdness factor that makes you go “oh Japan”.

42. Funky Badger says:

Hmmm, consensus forming that Dead Rising was/is better than RE4/5… ? T’other way round, shurely?

43. Phil H says:

God, that trailer was fantastic, I love the kill count in the corner and hope that it’s present the entire game. Hey, he’s got a chainsaw on a stick… wait a second, he’s doing a Darth Maul impression and has TWO chainsaws on a stick! SOLD. Now please tell me he also straps augers onto things, because that was really the best weapon out of the first one.

RE SFIV PC, Capcom teased us some more with this just a little bit ago: http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog/2009/04/28/captivate_09_street_fighter_iv_pc

44. Dominic White says:

Black Mamba: You do know that beating the game unlocks Infinite mode, right? All the mall unlocked, random psycho encounters, and no time limit beyond a very slowly draining health bar that needs to be stocked up with food.

There’s even an achievement for surviving a whole week in this mode – 168 hours in a single session, which should give you an idea of just how much food is lying around.

45. pilouuuu says:

I’m falling in love with Capcom now.

They had a big mistake with making Resident Evil 4 a crappy port, which by the way was extremelly funny, just needed a few mods which should have been made by the developers in first instance. Thankfully things got better with a classic 8-bit remake: Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Then they announced Street Fighter IV which was quite a surprise when all developers seem to want to keep cool games away from the PC. Well, there isn’t much news about it, but I’m sure we will have it soon.

Then we had Flock a simple, but polished and funny puzzle game. Now this and later most surely Resident evil 5.

It’s so good to see a developers who cares and know the importance of PC gaming if only it is to make extremely cool games with better graphics and modding.

I guess Lucasarts could learn a thing or two from Capcom and be at least a half decent developer again.

46. Pijama says:

@Nick, first poster: your Carlin reference gives +225 bonus coolness points. Enjoy.

Also, Prototype and this: ultimate goof-around saturdays?

47. Dominic White says:

On the topic of earlier Capcom port trainwrecks, like Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3, there’s a reason for them being bad. Capcom didn’t do them.

Ubisoft were doing the ports back then, and they managed to screw up on about every possible level. The PC version of RE4 launched without a lighting engine. I shit ye not – large areas of the game were stuck in Fullbright mode. They patched it in later, but it was still pretty terrible.

Since then, Capcom have been doing their ports in-house. Although they’re not really ports – their MT Framework engine (an amazingly powerful and well optimized piece of kit) is designed for multiplatform development, but they use the PC as the lead development system, then just tone down the detail settings to make it run on the other systems.

This is why the PC version of Devil May Cry 4 has significantly better graphics than the 360/PS3 versions. It wasn’t just a good port – it was back home. The extra time away on consoles meant they had time to get some fancy extra features in, too, like Legendary Dark Knight mode (DMC + Serious Sam enemy numbers = Win).

People bitched that you couldn’t play it with a standard mouse/keyboard setup, but that’s because people are retarded and how on earth would you play a complex combo-oriented 3D fighting game with a mouse?

So, expect any MT Framework-based Capcom games to be just as good (if not better) on PC as on consoles. No worries about ports. Just make sure you get yourself a gamepad (very cheap, and supported natively by almost everything) or you’ll be cursing your keyboard when Street Fighter 4 rolls round.

48. Ginger Yellow says:

I was a bit worried by the way all the early weapons and moves they showed were the same as the first game, but the moose head and the chainsaws on a stick won me over.

49. tom says:

I have a sneaking suspicion i will thoroughly enjoy this game.