Dead Rising 2: Moose Of The Dead

By Alec Meer on April 28th, 2009 at 4:13 pm.

Given the entire internet is busy spaffing about this today, we might as well join the fray – if only cos it’s always funny when someone accuses us of trying to be like Kotaku because we’ve posted something pop.

While Capcom’s first tongue-in-cheek free-roaming zombie-smasher was strictly for the Xbox Three-Hundred-And-Sixty Machine, the 2010-due sequel will also arrive on our glorious personal computer boxes. Joy! Footage below, which despite being pretty crass includes at least two ultra-lol moments.

Key points:
– the setting’s moved from a Dawn of the Dead homaging shopping mall to what appears to be a Vegas nod
– The protagonist doesn’t look like a very nice man
– 6,000 on-screen zombies at once, apparently. Lawks.
– Moose!
– OH MY GOD HE JUST TOTALLY DROVE THROUGH A CROWD FULL OF ZOMBIES ON A MOTORBIKE WITH TWO CHAINSAWS STRAPPED TO IT.

Do we still have room in our hearts for another zombie death-orgy? For one as wantonly silly as this, surely the answer’s yes. My main concern is that the first game stopped being fun about two hours into the storyline, due to a series of really awful bossfights. Hopefully lessons have been learned, but without making the sequel too aimless.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Psychopomp says:

@Serondal
    Anyone who says RE5 is racist is daft. After a few hours with it, it should be clear to everyone that if it has a message, it’s that exploiting of Africa if fucked up.

As far as gameplay goes, it’s RE4, but prettier, with co-op, and not a batshit crazy.
    Other than the sudden onset of “trying to be serious,” everythings in good order.

2. Erlam says:

It’s funny, when I was working on my current project, four of our dev support members moved to Blue Castle from out company.

So I get to keep making a crappy PS3 exclusive, and they get to make a fun, quirky, amusing game.

Fuck.

3. SofS says:

RE4 is a polished and very satisfying action game. Dead Rising, however, is one of the leading examples of a favoured subgenre of mine. I’m not sure what this subgenre is called; I suppose I think of it as the freeform action game. Way of the Samurai is another example. It’s the sort of game where things aren’t binary. Success or failure for any given playthrough tends to be partial in nature, as even a botched run will probably teach you something useful. I really liked the limitations (the time, the save system, the difficulty of solving everything), too. The only things I didn’t like on my limited playthroughs were the text being ludicrously small and the occasional weird design decision (my favourite being the first boss fight, which I believe can only be fought at range. You get a gun and a sidekick, but the sidekick doesn’t hit the boss and I ran out of bullets when a sliver of health was left. My friend wanted a crack at this situation, so I had the pleasure of watching a man with a machine gun driven off by a can of pop hitting him in the foot).

All this is to say that I’m pretty glad that the sequel is being brought to my preferred platform and that I hope they don’t ditch some of the less-liked elements for the sole purpose of placating people. If taking them out makes the game worse, it won’t really please anyone.

4. daysocks says:

All I can say is: DO WANT.

*reminds self to go back and FINISH Dead Rising*

5. Smee says:

The two-chainsaws-on-the-end-of-a-fighting-staff weapon is from the Shaolin Monk comic. He uses it to fight a demon shark controlled by the head of a zombie god.

:D

6. Rob says:

I don’t understand why people complain about the boss fights. Yes, they were hard, but that’s how it’s supposed to be. A boss shouldn’t be a pushover. The gamers of today are simply spoiled with easy games and simple bosses.

7. Dominic White says:

I think PC gamers in particular are used to bosses being pushovers at best, mindbuggeringly retarded at worst. There are very few FPS’s where the final battle cannot be won by circle-strafing with the fire button held down, and a few where you don’t even have to do that – shoot four targets, maybe, or press this button, or (in the case of Quake, as one particularly terrible example) just walk forward.

As for the first boss in Dead Rising… seriously, how can you lose against him? If you run out of ammo, the NPC helper gives you more if you walk up to him, and you’re fighting in the food court, which is covered from top to bottom with healing food items.

8. DMJ says:

I endorse the strapping of chainsaws to random objects for maximum carnage.

9. Nick says:

Dominic: Whereas console gamers are used to them requiring the mindless repetition of a series of movements to correspond to the bosses “tells” and shooting a big red flashing thing.

Either way, bosses in general are usually crap.

10. Ajcon says:

love the chanesaw on a stick
    When I saw the chainsaw on a stick I laugh bcus the dudes on noobtoob.com have been joking around on it a while back and now we see it in a game… Wonderful. and then a few seconds later in the trailer 2 chainsaws on a motorbike
    perfect

11. SofS says:

Dominc White: that’s just the thing! That boss was impossible to lose against, but could drag on and on if you run out of ammo and don’t get more (which I didn’t know you could do and which is why he got can’d into fleeing). It’s not too hard in any way; rather, the problem is that the fight just isn’t that fun. You just trade shots until he leaves.

12. Vexor says:

Any word if this one will have multiple endings like the first? SofS & Dominc White, I never really considered that guy to even be a boss. Not even a mini boss. More of a story filler imo. Even Adam the Clown, or Seon, or any of those “bosses”.

The game is fairly tough until you gain a few levels and get some nice inventory space and some decent fighting moves. I hope they drop the whole “book” system to increase weapon durability. It makes the game way to easy. Although with up to 6,000, really?!, zombies (over the 500 in the first Dead Rising) in a immediate area that could up the difficulty considerably.