Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis Demo. Yes. It is.

By Kieron Gillen on April 28th, 2009 at 12:32 am.

I especially like how the female character clearly can't give a toss that the person's been crushed. Maybe she did it, the loony.

In seems those Secret files aren’t very secret at all, unless you count being available to download from Gamers Hell as secret which I don’t believe it is. (It isn’t. It isn’t very secret at all – RPS’ CIA Contact) Anyway – weighing in at just under a gig is a demo for Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis which contain this adventure’s full first chapter and the prologue. I haven’t played the original, but John Walker has. I mention it to him in IM and… he says he was going to blog about this. Oh noes! Quickly, post before he does. Steal the post, Kieron. Steal it. Er… the original wasn’t very good, by all accounts (i.e. John says so), but maybe this one will up the ante, eh? There’s a “Disaster Trailer” beneath the cut, which may imply incredible honesty if the game’s a duffer, but more likely that the game prominently features disasters of some kind.

Yup, it was the latter. Phew.

Any thoughts on Secret Files 2? Mine is: I’m off to bed.

, , .

1. Adventurous Putty says:

Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider team-up?

2. suibhne says:

Seriously, what’s up with that raised eyebrow? Is that a medical condition?

3. Z says:

New York just can’t catch a break.

4. Helm says:

Haven’t played the original. The token female protagonist in this one has an especially punchable face. Not sure what it is… the lip job? The cheek job? The nose job? The ‘tude eyebrow? I like the leather jacket though.

Oh, there’s Indiana Jones in this too!

5. nordwindranger says:

I’m sure “puritas cordis” means something nice in latin, but it sounds really really dirty. It sounds like it would be better suited for “Leisure Suit Larry: Puritas Cordis”

6. someone says:

Actually, I quite liked the first one.
    nordwindranger, it means ‘pure of heart’.

7. Dinger says:

yes it does, Someone. It’s also an anagram for pudoris castri or “of the camp of shame”

8. a rob amongst many says:

That screenshot reminds me of the Blade Runner game Westwood did back in the day but I can’t understand why.

9. Martin K says:

@a rob amongst many, you aren’t alone, it’s uncanny. I think it’s the slightly under/over-scale character models and the complete lack of an attempt to make the setting appear anything other than completely pre-rendered.

10. a rob amongst many says:

Martin – yeah I think you are right. I’m sure it resembles a very specific scene – wasn’t there a bit with a guy sat on the floor like that? Maybe with a backlit fan on the left wall? Or maybe I am confusing two scenes. Was it the bit where you had to shoot the guy off the wall before the room exploded? All I really remember is the dog and the car salesman.

11. Rinox says:

Not a lot of love here for Secret Files…Tunguska wasn’t all that bad. It had its charm and I enjoyed playing it, but then I never would have picked it up if it hadn’t been out on a budget release either.

Of course, back then adventure game were virtually extinct and standards were low-ish. The second installment might not stand up so well in the current adventure revival wave.

12. Larington says:

The original wasn’t bad per se, but it wasn’t great. I still got some enjoyment out of it though.

I’m more interested in the announcement of a Syberia 3, myself.

13. AbyssUK says:

@Larington

Syberia 3 ! What has this been announced ?

Edit: Google says yes on april 1st! RPS you failed me…

14. Larington says:

Oooh yes. Most certainly. First I heard about it was here: http://www.developmag.com/news/31702/Sony-slammed-for-exorbitant-royalty-demands

I’ve also heard recently that roughly as many Wii Balance boards have been sold as PS3s… lol

15. Kabouter says:

Original was entertaining enough, would have been good had it not been for awful awful localization. This time, I simply chose to buy the game in Germany, for the non-awful voice acting.

16. Dain says:

Oooo Syberia 3…

17. Vincent Avatar says:

Those… those eyebrows!

18. Clovis says:

I enjoyed Tunguska but it was an EXTREMELY by the book adventure game. If you don’t like adventure game tropes then I’m guessing you should stay away from this. It had some really off the wall solutions to problems. Checking a FAQ every once and awhile never ruins a game for me though.

It looks like it is making a mistake of looking exciting. Adventure games are NEVER exciting. No matter how explositastic the cutscenes are, after they are over you are now standing around pixel hunting. Or worse, they actually put terrible actions sequences, like QTEs, or throw a timer on the screen. I hate when AG scenes time out. Comedy has always been the proper setting for an AG, not horror or suspense.

19. flo says:

hey just finished the demo, and I actually kinda liked it. It has a quick recipe against pixel hunting (a button that lights up everything clickable with different symbols, also a mouse pointer that makes it obvious what you can just look at and what you can use/pickup. I was happily surprised that the demo was decently long, but without being boring, or being long because you have to spent way too much time on retarded “puzzles” that wouldn’t even remotely work. So if that wasn’t half the game already, but at tiny portion, it might actually be worth buying. The only weird thing was the prologue with the old priest “ewh, you want me to play as that old priest … I dunno … church is ewh and priests too … but luckily that was just the prologue.

20. flo says:

oh noes … just found out I would have to buy it retail, not available on steam or any download shop … I don’t know …

21. Saturn says:

Secret Files 1 already had the “Scene Hotspots” button, it also havs an in-game tips for the puzzles. Both are in the second game.

Tunguska was actually one of the best traditional adv. games in the recent years and this demo was good. You don’t see alot of demos that let you play a full chapter.

Anyhow, its not like it will matter in reviews. It’s going to get panned. The new-generation of reviewers and gaming sites pretty much hate\dont get the genre. They might give decent scores for one or two games like Penrumba, but thats’a about it. I’m not even sure if the games who are considered as “classic” in the adv genre will get good press if they were to be released nowdays.

22. Grawl says:

I just spent over two hours playing this demo (and loved the first Secret Files). It’s not the same, but I think this’ll be a great game anyway.

It’s a shame I can’t find a site to pre-order it (Netherlands).

23. Rinox says:

@ Clovis: not that it was an adventure in the strict sense of the word, but would you say that Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy messed up as well wrt action sequences and timers? I mean, I think it can work in an adventure game if implemented well, like in Fahrenheit. It just requires a not-so-narrow definition of what an ‘adventure game’ is really.

(and yes, the quicktime events in Fahrenheit were horrendous)