Maybe, Probably: Lost Planet 2

By Jim Rossignol on April 29th, 2009 at 9:21 am.

All signs point to Capcom announcing Lost Planet 2 for PC fairly soon. In fact the big K reports that dev Jun Takeuchi said at the recent Capcom press event: “It is running off a PC now, so there may be something we can announce fairly shortly.” Anyway, a couple of trailers have appeared, and they’re ludicrously spectacular. Watch out, giant slug-lizard magma things, we’re coming for you. (Even if Lost Planet was a bit clunky, this looks splendid.)

, .

1. ZIGS says:

Well, the first Lost Planet was incredibly generic and boring, even though it looked amazing. So unless they revamp the gameplay for the sequel, I’ll be using it solely as a CPU stress test to see if my overclocks are stable under peak gaming conditions :)

2. DMJ says:

It may be running on a PC, but for that true “port” feeling they still have lots of work to do. It takes time to add ridiculous control schemes including requirements to press buttons we PC gamers simply DO NOT HAVE, and ignoring the dozens of buttons we do have in order to map nine functions to each of the six keys it deigns to let us use. It also takes time to remove all graphics options from the menu, it takes time to give us grainy “hi-res” textures by badly half-compressing their source textures, and it takes time to issue press releases about how PC gaming is being killed by pirates. This is why the game will inevitably be released six months late on PC, when everyone has seen how shallow and pointless it was on console, so they won’t bother to buy it on PC, and the sales figures on PC will be compared to the purchases on console (to people who will by anything shiny and new) to justify why releasing things on PC is not good business.

Wow, I’m bitter this morning. I’m going to get some coffee, hopefully I’ll have calmed down by the time I get back!

3. Ashurbanipal says:

Looks satisfyingly kinetic and I’m glad to see the grappling hook thing has made a comeback.

Lost Planet wasn’t bad, actually. Not stellar, but good for a bit of nicely polished mindless shooting which happens to have some fun stomping robot bits (or stomping robot suits, anyway) . Stomping robots have been scarce for a while on PC, so I’m delighted whenever I see them, despite the form they take.

4. phil says:

From the trailer it appears the game will be Shadow of the Collossus, minus the horse and plus the cast/armoury of Halo 3. And they’ve dropped the annoying heat collecting element. It should be, excellent?

5. pkt-zer0 says:

The only half-decent parts of the original were the ones with the big stompy robots. Then again, I’m a sucker for big stompy robots, so that might be a bit excessive praise.

Anyhow, LP2 seems to have less of that, so I’m proportionately less interested.

6. Real Horrorshow says:

@ DMJ – The first LP came out on PC back when Capcom still outsorced ports. They’re better now.

7. Pavel says:

LP 1 was above average (6/10), but the main good point about it was graphics and LARGE BUGS.

Now, please make a story that will not be full of shit and will instead make sense, give us a protagonist that does not look like japanese Zac Efronisque playboy, make the gameplay more interesting, and maybe, just maybe, I will buy it on the PC.

Right now I am more hyped about RESI 5 PC, but if it will be capped to 30fps like RESI 4 PC is, I will be pissed.I just bought RESI4 and this really surprised me, badly.Especially since my PC could handle the game in 200fps constant.

8. pkt-zer0 says:

@Real Horrorshow: AFAIK LP was the first in-house developed PC “port”. “Port” is in quotes because MT Framework games are developed on PC first and ported to consoles. Wikipedia says the PS3 port was outsourced, though.

9. A:\Big.bat says:

That’s looking pretty incredible actually.

10. Rabbitsoup says:

I don’t know about anyone else but the first trailer put me in mind of L4D style co-op with colour.

11. Bananaphone says:

Not my kind of game, but it does look spectacular. Love the animations, particularly the movement when he puts on that robotic suit thing.

What the hell is that on their back, though? Looks like the handle for a futuristic tap.

12. duel90 says:

Im loving the look of the new planet their on. But ive never understood why its a lost planet, if they’ve lost it where has it gone? could someone explain?

13. Radiant says:

WANT!
    [on the ps3 I don't think my pc can play that :( ]

14. Dominic White says:

Despite selling plenty and getting a re-release with more modes and improved multiplayer, it seems that I’m the only person on the entire internet who liked Lost Planet. The sequel looks to improve on it in almost every way.

It’ll still have features that are anathema for PC gamers, like invulnerability frames, safe-stuns, time limits and such, but that’s what made it work for me. It’s old-school arcade style gameplay mixed with modern shooter mechanics.

And to hell with anyone who complains about bosses. Every level in EVERY game (yes, even Peggle) should end with a battle against a 20 foot tall (bare minimum) mutant monster or killer robot.

15. rasmus says:

That first one is just juicy, crunchy gaming splendour.

16. Chaz says:

Am I correct in thinking the campaign in this one will be playable in co-op?

Anyway I kind of felt sorry for that giant beast in the first video. It was probably the last of it’s kind, making a desperate lonely search of the planet for a mate, and then it unfortunately crossed paths with mankind. That poor, poor lonely beast. All it wanted was a friend.

17. David says:

I also pity the giant worm-serpent.

18. A:\Big.bat says:

They always get a pretty rough deal.

19. TariqOne says:

Co-op. Heavily customizable characters. Lots of clothes. Space. Shooting things in space.

Lost Planet blew. Lost Planet 2 is looking frickin’ terrific.

20. Sid says:

I will probably buy this but I really wish it were more explore-y/puzzle-y and not so shoot-y/kill-y

I say that about nearly all action games, but this one has a decent setting where it would be interesting.

The first game provides no moral justification for killing and displacing the indigenous life so I suspect it’s making a point.

21. fugo says:

anyone played the monster hunter series? seems very much like that but with modern guns..

22. Radiant says:

@Sid
    You want Monster Hunter Freedom.
    Grab a PSP, buy that game and be prepared to lose days from your life.
    Also I just want it known that I am hunting beasts in the most awesome fur coat.

23. Radiant says:

The fur coat I bought in MHF is well snazzy too.

24. Wedge says:

I looooved Lost Planet. I’m worried about this with all the focus on co-op though…

25. Lucky Main Street says:

So you just shoot everything that’s red, is that it?