Borderlands: Controversial Screenshot Gallery

By Alec Meer on April 30th, 2009 at 6:32 pm.

We got our first look at the internet-dividing redesign of Gearbox’s open-world shooty/drivey game a couple of weeks back, and now the venting’s mostly out of the way (because it is out of the way isn’t it, shouty men?), we can all enjoy a whole host of screens. Personally, I think it’s looking pretty bloody spectacular, and a blessed relief from what’s threatening to become a homogenous look for shooters. Also: LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING. Er, that thing beneath the cut, I mean.

It’s fascinating to compare it to the gallery of BL’s original look we ran about 18 months ago. Some of the character and monster designs are shared, but the old style looks so plain and generic against the hyper-stylisation of the new look. And a couple of these shots really nail the Mad Max vibe – a far punkier, spunkier take on post-apocalyptic than Fallout 3, no?

Prepare to be shot and punched in the face (someone else’s ridiculous line, not mine) by the high-res versions of these shots, simply by clicking on ‘em:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Professor says:

What is it about game designers and their desire to make monsters that look like giant vaginas?

I mean, seriously, that thing has a CLITORIS.

2. vordhosbn says:

I’m really glad they decided to change the art style so radically, the original game seemed really underwhelming in every way. Now I’m carefully looking forward to this.

3. Radiant says:

And now Professor THAT’S ALL I SEE.

4. CTD says:

@Professor

You say it as if it’s a bad thing. I, for one, welcome more vaginal monsters.

5. AlottaFagina says:

Didn’t see any vulva likes? That 4th one looks like a hormogaunt.

6. Professor says:

@CTD
    Yeah, seems a lot of people are taking inspiration from that C*nt game, eh?

7. DigitalSignalX says:

Damn, Those screens totally sell me on this game. Fallout meets lost planet and FUEL? SOLD.

8. bergotronic says:

The new visuals look great, hopefully the coop gameplay will be equal to the looks. I would LAN this game… HARD.

9. DaFox says:

When did Antlions grow armor?!

10. spell says:

I was looking forward to that game, but now…
    The celshading on these looks awfully bad.

11. PrinceOfPersia says:

Yeah, they’re totally harshing my style.

12. elias says:

It’s not the designers, it’s the artists. Maybe they are afraid of vaginas, so they use them as parts of their big scary monsters?

Anyway I think the new style is awesome.

13. RARGPHLAM says:

I don’t know what you’re looking at spell, because the cel-shading looks fantastic. In motion I’d bet it’s spectacular.

14. Jeremy says:

Looks pretty good, loving the style.

15. Dracko says:

Professor, they do it just to equally intimidate and intrigue pre-teens who still giggle about sex.

You should check out what Valve had in mind for Half-Life back in the day. Ooh, boy!

16. Lack_26 says:

I’m really looking forward to this game, I love the style (and the amount of guns).

17. Yontan says:

@Professor

I struggled not to bust out in a horrific singular laugh when I read that. Being in the quiet section the library and reading RPS is dangerous….

i need to get out more. :S

Edit: Also on a more games related note, that is a nice looking game. I’d play it and enjoy pretty pictures if the gameplay was good enough. If all it has are pretty screens, then I’ll just wait thanks. Looking forward to some reviews.

18. unclelou says:

Looks fantastic.

19. GabeNewell says:

You mean besides that thing with the giant nutsack?

20. Heliocentric says:

I’d hit it.

21. DMJ says:

Indeed, it looks fantastic in stills. Whether it looks that good in motion is the real question. It has the potential to look stylishly awesome, or alternatively it has the potential to look freaky.

In a way, I like how the new look was added quite late in development. That way, at least there wasn’t this conversation at the first production meeting:

Man 1: I got a great idea for a game!
    Man 2: What?
    Man 1: A cel-shaded game!
    Man 2: What sort of cel-shaded game?
    Man 1: I don’t understand the question. Cel-shading is awesome!
    Man 2: Sold. Go get some programmers and a year’s supply of whiskey.

I’m looking at you, XIII.

22. Dominic White says:

Vehicles, huge swarms of little flying/crawling monsters, and bosses the size of houses? So far, so Lost Planet. And that’s a formula I like.

Here’s hoping there’s more subtlety to the bigger fights than holding down the fire-button while kiting/circle-strafing.

@DMJ – They shaded it that way because XIII is based on a long line of French graphic novels, which also look that way.

23. Meat Circus says:

SEXY screenshot gallery.

Mmm, giant vagina beast.

24. Muzman says:

Where was this shoutiness I apparently missed?

Anyway; does anyone think the outlines are heaps more obvious in some shots than others (the first one vs.. the rest really)? I wonder if you can adjust it.
    Anyway 2: The problem I find with some of this stuff is you just get an outline around things which is a trifle odd. I guess they can do whatever they like (it’s obviously not a comic book after all) but I think Street Fighter took a better road (several). They made it so the “line work” included details and folds in the fabric etc which made for more comfortable viewing.

25. Dracko says:

Yes, Gabe. Apart from the giant walking nutsack.

Like Mr. Friendly.

26. Rep says:

Where do you guys find girls who have vagina’s like that? Just so i know where to avoid.

And by avoid, i mean hunt.

27. PleasingFungus says:

I’m… kinda uncertain as to how to feel about this. (Though I really like the creatures in the first screenshot.) Will wait until I can see it in motion to RENDER JUDGEMENT.

28. Noc says:

Hah! I get it, it’s a ‘Render Judgment’ because you’re judging the rendering!

Oh, man.

29. DavidDuchovny says:

@DMJ:

You forgot to mention my talented voicework in that game.

30. Clockwork Harlequin says:

Professor: Compare this apparent vaginosity with recent discussions here on RPS about breasts. Games are aimed at people who love breasts but fear vaginas. The conspiracy becomes clear. . .

31. Jetsetlemming says:

I like the comic book render for the characters, but not so much the wold, and definitely not the explosions. C’mon, go all the way with that shit! I want to see comic special effects, especially on stuff like the elemental damage weapons.

32. JamesSunderland says:

I don’t know about you guys, but those monsters in Silent Hill turned me on.

33. Mort says:

Also, remember that one of the the final bosses in half life was a giant testicle with legs (though it´s not as scary as a vagina with teeth)

Anyway, I hope gameplay is as dynamic as the screenies seem to indicate.

34. Sajad says:

TOOOOOOOOOO GGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD

35. Morti-Mer says:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt !!!!!!!

36. Jetsetlemming says:

@JamesSunderland
    Ahahaha

37. Marcin says:

I think I’ll skip Fallout 3 and go straight for this, if it plays as fun as it looks.

38. ...hmm... says:

looking beautiful; i just hope they tone down the fallout 3 lookalike baddies: see the raiders in fallout 3 and their armor style etc. some of them in the shots above i feel like i know personally.

there i go again being the stupid armchair critic. it still looks more lovely than fallout 3 in many regards though; and i totally would in regards to that giant beast.

39. bantros says:

Looks bloody amazing

40. Rath says:

My immediate thoughts are “GorkaMorka” and that two-part episode of Farscape with the dune buggys that had weaponry attached to them*. This game looks awesome.

* 3×14 and 3×15. Go look.

41. Aldaris says:

When I saw the pics, I thought they had seen 3 things and blended them together into those mosters, being, in order of popping into my mind:
    1: Alien Planet (The movie, anyway, I never read the book.)
    2: The zerg. (Mutalisks, anyone?)
    3: Not so sure… Ah, right, Half Life (2).

Some of those things look like they were straight out ripped form alien planet, but in an awesome way. I’m still looking forward to this.

42. MrBejeebus says:

sold!

the previous art style wasvery underwhelming imo

and lol @ the vagina face monster…

43. DeliriumWartner says:

DMJ made me lol. Also, I think I’m in love. This is (after COD, um, MW2) my most anticipated game of the year so far. When can I have it?!

44. Schmung says:

This is superbly pretty. Interestingly, looking at ye olde screenshots it doesn’t look like they’ve deviated massively from where they were previously, it’s just that rather splendid comic book shader thing they’ve got going on. I think the original Far Cry had a similar (albeit far cruder) bit of shadery goodness tucked away in it accessible via a cheat mode.

45. Dan K says:

Looks bloody gorgeous. The art style change made me want this game, I previuosly dismissed it a bit because it was a tad bland looking, but now I can’t wait for it.

46. Tom says:

Looks awesome.
    I love the fact devs are starting to experiment with art styles more. Guess we’ve got PoP to thank for that.
    It never fails to amaze what some poeple will moan about.

47. Tim says:

I have to say, I’m now interested in this game on the strength of this new style alone. I just hope it’ll be a decent game in its own right. Though to be honest, so long as it’s mediocre or better I might well give it a whirl.

Comment on this story