Game Over: A Message For 2K Australia

By Kieron Gillen on April 30th, 2009 at 2:19 pm.

When I quit RPS I'll just punch John in the balls and steal his stuff.

Aw, bless. Jarrad Woods of 2K Australia (i.e. Irrational AU) is now Jarrad Woods Ex-2K Australia (i.e. Ex-Irrational AU). And to actually inform his employers of this change of status, he did a somewhat novel resignation letter in the form of a videogame. You have to applaud. I mean, really, you have to. We just passed a law. He’s going to make the move to full time indie development – which we look forward to the fruits of, not just because of the stylish farewell – but because he’s also the creator of previous RPS-fave ROM CHECK FAIL. Good luck, sir.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ian says:

How is this law enforced if you don’t applaud? I don’t plan to test it because it’s a cool thing to do, I’m just curious.

2. cliffski says:

You don’t need the law. I applaud willingly in this case.

3. Markoff Chaney says:

And sound waves emanated from my palms as they rapidly hit against each other in cadence of my own free will (or did they?). Best of Luck, Good Sir. I saw this a couple days back and it really made me smile, especially since it really was positive, despite (or was it because of) the message.

Seriously though – Seizure warnings if you are epileptic.

4. Kieron Gillen says:

Ian has now been killed by an RPS-death-squad who has climbed out of his modem to strike him down for disobeying us.

Next!

Note: Any further Ian’s in this thread is a double we have created to keep everyone calm.

KG

5. Ian says:

Hey, I applauded!

[sadface]

6. Norskov says:

I loved ROM CHECK FAIL!, so I’m definitely looking forward to new games from this guy..

*applauds*

7. a rob amongst many says:

The game is really difficult since Mario is a bit slippy but also because I CAN’T STOP CLAPPING

8. Feet says:

Tee hee, that’s awesome.

9. Lack_26 says:

I’m going to replace my signature dead fish with a note above the ceiling tiles with this as my resignation method of choice.
    (http://www.vulomedia.com/images/69079howtoquit.jpg)

I’ll probably get less civil law suits this way.

10. jonfitt says:

Saw this the other day. Do we think he meant his foray into indie games development to be marked with such poor collision detection?

Or did I miss some inside joke where 2k AU have huge problems keeping characters on the floor?

Very funny though.

11. phil says:

I’d like to do something like this for my current employers, though that would involve tattooing it onto the flank of a sedated cow.

12. Heliocentric says:

Unless you like 2K games you probably shouldn’t work for 2K.

13. Rei Onryou says:

2k Australia should hire this man. Clearly he is awesome and talented.

Since I can’t clap and type at the same time, I’m repeatedly thwacking my head against the desk in my best attempt to continue clapping. Hopefully there won’t be any long term side effektsdfxzxczzzzzzzzzzz

14. Icepick says:

Apparently as his last act at 2K Australia, he wanted to give the entire staff seizures.

15. The_B says:

When can we stop clapping? My arms are getting tired…

16. DMJ says:

If I ever resign, I plan to do it by carving my resignation in the company headquarters using my orbital death-laser-cannon satellite.

Now where did I put my giant parabolic reflector and that Energia rocket I bought off ebay?

17. Pace says:

Hate to be a party pooper, but it looks to me like this is a public announcement that he’s going indie, not a way to inform his employers. (It says “actually, I resigned last week.”)

(and it mentions his last day, so he’s already worked things out with 2K-Australia.)

18. Gap Gen says:

*applauds*

I expected it to be bitter (as joke resignation letters often are), but it’s actually actually kinda cute. A previous boss once put bikini babes in his resignation letter.

19. Patrick says:

Is it the norm for non-competes to get in the way of indie game development so badly?

20. cyrenic says:

Looks like he doesn’t have to worry much about his promotional/marketing skills :P.

21. Chaz says:

Will there be any mainstream PC game developers left in the future?

I fear that pretty soon the only PC gaming left will be pompous indy games with clever cryptic titles like:

“You have to burn the rope”
    “I Fell in Love With The Majesty of Colors”
    “My world was all brown but then I came out of my arse”

Or maybe I’m just a cynical cunt.

22. Klaus says:

OMG! How can the rest of you people applaud and type?

“I Fell in Love With The Majesty of Colors”
    I like this

23. PleasingFungus says:

Klaus: It’s not clear from what you said, but I want to clarify that it’s an actual game.

Chaz: waah waah waah. I would totally trade a future with an endless succession of GEARS OF WAAAAAAAR for one with only pompous indie games.

24. Tei says:

I hope theres not GOLDRUSH!!! to become indie, because maybe the market size is not big, so maybe theres not enough users to support a buckload of new indie devs. Well… and no one can raise a “Nintendo Wii” here, to add a few million more users to the market. Flash already did that for the PC. I think the engines like Unite (or whatever is called) can do something, but not something that level.
    But.. What I know? I am just a gamer.

25. AnotherOneBitesTheDust says:

Cute. Like those Flash email birthday cards that were in vogue a few years back.

@Chaz: Lol true. I think (hope) there’s a maturing phase after the initial “I’m Indie! I’m free from bondage after slaving under game publisher demands! I can do whatever the fuck I want!”

26. Klaus says:

@PleasingFungus
    I barely remember that. Although, you were right to be confused as I was just speaking of the name.

27. Rosti says:

Wonderful – Daft Punk-age only makes it better, really.

28. IDontGetIt says:

It’s just Mario that says “I Quit” whenever he picks up something.

So did he spend company time making it?

29. Xhumar says: