CapComfirmed For PC: Resident Evil 5

By Jim Rossignol on May 1st, 2009 at 6:47 pm.

Capcom have stated that Resident Evil 5, Bionic Commando, and Streetfighter IV will come out on PC across the summer (although only SFIV is firmly dated, for July 2nd, as far as I can see). Bionic Commando will also land in July, with Resident Evil 5 coming “later in the year”. There will be PC-exclusive features for each of the games, as we’d already seen with Streetfighter IV. I asked a Capcom spokesperson about Lost Planet 2 on PC earlier today, and received the reply: “No word on Lost Planet on PC. Yet.”

Full press release below, and thanks to Sub Edii for the tip.

SAN MATEO, CA — May 1, 2009 — Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that three of its blockbuster hit console games of 2009 will be coming to the PC beginning this summer. Bionic Commando®, Street Fighter® IV and Resident Evil® 5 will all be coming to the PC, beginning in July with Street Fighter IV and Bionic Commando, while Resident Evil 5 comes later in the year. All three games will be optimized for the PC platform and will have new PC-specific features added to the already great games. Street Fighter IV has been rated T for Teen by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB), while Bionic Commando and Resident Evil 5 are both rated M for Mature. All three games will be available both at retail and via various digital distribution methods, including Capcom’s own e-store.

Street Fighter IV features a mix of returning favorites such as Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and Guile along with new characters created for this game, such as Crimson Viper, Abel, El Fuerte, and Rufus. Characters and environments are rendered in stylized 3D, while the game is played in the classic Street Fighter® 2D perspective with additional 3D camera flourishes. Instantly familiar six-button controls are the hallmark of the game, with a host of new special moves and features. Mixing classic genre-defining game mechanics the franchise is known and loved for with all-new, never-before-seen gameplay systems, Street Fighter IV brings a brand new fighting experience to fans the world over. The PC version of Street Fighter IV will feature online play, higher screen resolutions and three new shaders based on three of the “artistic” trailers released in 2008 that will change the visual appearance of the game: “watercolor,” “posterization” and “sumi-e ink” styles.

The first true sequel to the classic 1988 Nintendo Entertainment System® original, Bionic Commando sees the return of the bionically-enhanced Nathan “Rad” Spencer. Time has not been kind to Spencer: 10 years after his heroic defeat of the Imperials, he has been betrayed by the government he swore to serve, imprisoned for crimes he didn’t commit, and sentenced to death. Bionic Commando transposes the swing-and-shoot gameplay of the 8-bit original onto a stunning 3D environment of towering buildings, suspended roadways and monorails, deep canyons and sheer rock faces, where every environment is scalable using swinging, scaling, climbing and wall-walking techniques. The PC version of Bionic Commando will support higher resolutions than the console version, remappable controls including mouse and keyboard support, support for both DirectX®9 and DirectX® 10 and online connectivity for multiplayer sessions.

In Resident Evil 5, returning hero Chris Redfield is sent to Africa to investigate a biological weapon that is transforming the populace into aggressive and disturbing creatures. Joined by another local BSAA agent, Sheva Alomar, the two must work together to solve the truth behind the frightening turn of events. Featuring a revolutionary new co-op mode of gameplay, Resident Evil 5 will let players experience fear together as terror moves out of the shadows and into the light of day. The PC version of Resident Evil 5 will feature online play for co-operative play sessions over the internet and will also take advantage of NVIDIA®’s new GeForce® 3D Vision technology (wireless 3D Vision glasses sold separately).

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. suibhne says:

RE4′s PC port was terrible, so I’m not holding breath on the quality of RE5. Otoh, the user community eventually turned it into the best version of the game.

2. Adam says:

The RE4 port was done by ubisoft though, all of Capcoms in house ports have been pretty flawless.

3. Hümmelgümpf says:

@suibhne:
    Devil May Cry 4 and Bionic Commando Rearmed were perfect ports.

4. Markoff Chaney says:

I was just about to lament on the RE4 port as well, but Capcom has been being nice to us since then, it seems. DMC4 was almost a poster child of how to do a good port to the PC.

5. Starky says:

RE4 was mainly horrible because they ported the PS2 version not the DC version – though thanks to mods you can replace the textures and get some HDR in the game that makes it look pretty sweet, just lacks the dynamic lighting of the DC version.
    The controls were horrible granted, no mouse control – but I just used my controller and it was fine, honestly I think mouse control would have made the game too easy in many ways.

And as mentioned, Capcom seem to have changed their ways when it comes to sloppy horrid ports, and then wondering why no one would buy them at least it seems so for the most part.
    At the end of the day though it’s still a port and if you want to play it you have to expect that it’s going to be better with a controller as that is what it was deigned for.

6. Brer says:

BC:R wasn’t in-house. It was developed by GRIN. That said, I’ll be interested IF they implement a working WASD+mouselook system. If it’s an otherwise good port that assumes I’ll be playing it with a gamepad, then no sale.

7. Dominic White says:

A multiplayer demo of Bionic Commando recently went up for the 360, and it plays really well. It’ll almost certainly be standard mouse/keyboard on the PC, and due to most of the weapons being lock-on oriented, it shoudn’t turn into a rapidfire headshot-fest like so many console shooters that make it to the PC (It may be blasphemy, but I think Call of Duty 4 plays a LOT better on consoles than on PC).

Swinging around while shooting like a hybrid of Spiderman and The Punisher is a lot of fun.

And N’thing the whole ‘Capcom do good PC ports’ thing. Ever since they stopped farming them out to Ubisoft, and using their in-house MT Framework engine for multiplatform stuff, it’s been all good. Forget about the terible DMC3 and RE4 ports. They weren’t Capcoms doing.

8. Pavel says:

RE4 port was done by SourceNext, and yeah it was horrible.I am just about to play it though, with the patch and highres textures and gamepad it is not that bad.
    Will probably buy Resi 5, not so sure about the rest.
    And yeah, DMC4 had flawless port.

9. pilouuuu says:

I’m really pleased how Capcom has been treating us PC gamers lately. OK, Resident Evil 4 was flawed, but once I tried to play it with a gamepad and put High Res textures Mod on it, it became a wonderful experience.

It is so great that so called exclusives for consoles come to the PC later, with support for better graphics and extras added.

Maybe the so called “next-gen” console supremacy won’t last for too long after all. But when developers like Lucasarts realise this and that PC is the place to be, it will be too late for them. I don’t intend to buy another game from them again.

Thumb up for Capcom!

10. Nick says:

Without the taint of an Ubisoft lazy port job I’m looking forward to RE5 on the PC.

11. Pavel says:

I am just about to play Resi 4 on PC.I have logitech dual action.Is it normal that the controlling of the analog buttons feels “digital” ? In that if I move analog a little bit, the game does not register it until I move it over some threshold, and then it moves with the same speed no matter how quickly am I moving the analog?

Because that sucks.

12. pkt-zer0 says:

BC:R’s lack of proper support for gamepads or an alternative method to steer the hyper bazooka’s rockets is a pretty serious oversight, given that it makes the final boss practically impossible on Hard and above. The GRIN folks seem to have some trouble with controls, considering that someone saw fit to highlight “remappable controls including mouse and keyboard support” as an extra feature.

Can’t really argue with DMC4, though. LDK mode and turbo is what saves the game from being an unimpressive sequel suffering from nextgenitis.

13. Paul_M says:

I thought RE5 was really pretty disappointing. It didn’t even feel finished on the PS3. It’s the first RE game that I’ve played that has no magic about it.

14. catska says:

PC gaming has declined so much in recent years that its devout now consider getting ports of games the consolers played months ago a victory. It’s a sad state of affairs when developers have you so desperate for games that people are thanking them for releasing stuff everyone stopped caring about a long time ago, like its a charity.

It’s like the Salvation Army platform.

15. Jim Rossignol says:

Yeah, PC gaming is dead and stuff. (Yawn.)

16. Shadowmancer says:

Street Fighter 4 is coming to steam soon http://store.steampowered.com/app/10670/

17. DV.antiq says:

What about Dark Void? Anything about a PC version?

18. damien says:

i’d buy a gamepad for that. (SFiv)

19. Jim Rossignol says:

Dark Void was confirmed for PC a while back. Not much new info on that, although I think there’s some new screenshots kicking about.

20. subedii says:

Jim, I don’t think you understand, you should be weeping now.

I know my own personal glass world has been dashed upon the shores of reality.

Anyway, really looking forward to Bionic Commando. RE5, not so interested.

SF4 I might be interested in getting but I usually suck at fighting games.

21. subedii says:

Oh, and it appears that Street Fighter IV is already set to head for Steam:

It’ll be interesting to see how it works in combination with Steam’s community features. I’m sure there’ll be at least a few dedicated Street Fighter groups cropping up as soon as the game’s launched.

22. mrrobsa says:

Yeah sorry Jim, catska’s right. PC gamers should be frustrated that they aren’t receiving the same treatment as console gamers and being included in worldwide launches

23. lumpi says:

Having played a few console-to-PC ports in the past, I’m very unexcited about this announcement. Whatever happened to the ideal of making great console games and great PC games each playing out the strengths of its platform?

24. Neut says:

Because some people dont want to shell out for a console as well as a PC and would like to just play great games?

25. malkav11 says:

One of those “exclusive” features had better be mouse aim.

26. drewski says:

Neut – Ha! What kind of “gamer” are you if desire to play quality entertaiment software is more important than blind loyalty to a particular piece of hardware??? None I say! None!

27. h4plo says:

I’ve wanted to play Street Fighter 4 more than pretty much any other game for awhile now – but I can’t find it anywhere! I don’t have a ps3/360, and I don’t have any pals with 60$ for the game. I couldn’t even find a damn arcade in New York City over February. So I guess my question is ..

How the hell am I going to play SF4 with a mouse and keyboard?

28. Jim Rossignol says:

That would be true if: a) I actually wanted to play more than a couple of these games every year, or b) I wasn’t already busy playing all the stuff that does come out on PC, or c) that having to wait a couple of months was worth getting upset about, really.

Catska’s implication is that we’re enormously grateful to Capcom because we’re starved of games or something. I am a career gamer, and don’t have enough time to play everything I want to on PC. So are we really short on games? Further: I’m pretty indifferent to Capcom’s games. I want to see if Lost Planet 2 is better than the original, but that’s about as far as I can bring myself to care. I’ll never play Res5 – I hate the series, and people say it’s a particularly poor outing.

The only time I can recall be frustrated enough by a late release to do something about it was when I bought Mass Effect for 360. Which is, perhaps, another issue: it’s been a long time since I identified myself as “PC gamer”, especially since I now own pretty much every console released in the past decade. A privileged position, yes, but it is an option. No one is tied to a single format, and RPS certainly isn’t arguing for the PC over consoles: we *cover* PC gaming, there is a difference. (What is with the assumption of partisanship? Honestly: go buy a 360, it’s a fun time.)

We’re simply covering the PC for people who do use it as we do. Which, as it turns out, is a hell of a lot of people.

29. Optimaximal says:

It won’t… It’s already using GFW:L for match-making & friends. Steam will just be for content delivery.

How the hell am I going to play SF4 with a mouse and keyboard?

Pretty well – unless they’ve really changed the dynamic of the game, it will work a lot better on digital controls (like an arcade stick) than analogue pads, which are too floaty and never precise enough for fast combos & special moves.

30. TheSombreroKid says:

@Jim thats a pretty massive turn around and pretty good go at alienating the readership you’ve aimed at, unless i’m mistaken, you’re saying go buy consoles and PC’s and buy games on them both.

You’re saying no one is tied to a single format but the truth is buying an extra platform is a hell of a lot of money and that does bind people to a specific format and it was my belief based on what the writers here say (mainly kerion tbh) is that you believe the PC being a democratic competitive hardware and software unlocked format was genuinly the best format for people.

31. Kieron Gillen says:

Sombrero: From the FAQ…

Reasons for doing a PC Gaming blog.

On console games.

I don’t think anything Jim said contradicts any of that.

KG

32. Jim Rossignol says:

you believe the PC being a democratic competitive hardware and software unlocked format was genuinely the best format for people

Not quite true: We believe that the PC being a democratic platform of the best thing for creativity, variety, ownership, and freedom of expression. It doesn’t mean it’s always the best experience for consumers.

As Kieron points out, it’s not a turnaround of any sort. We’ve never disguised our reasons for doing what we do.

you’re saying go buy consoles and PCs

No, I’m saying I don’t care which you buy, they both have their own merits. If you can buy both, great!

33. TheSombreroKid says:

the thing i kinda didn’t like is that you seem to be implying that people can go out and buy 2 formats, owning just 1 format is not the same as being a fanboy, poeple are tied to a single format once they’ve made that investment.

34. MacBeth says:

It’s not just the Hive Mind with their golden thrones paid for by the developers-in-the-pockets-of-which-they-dwell that have all the platforms available to them… the RPS readership demographic as a whole, I would imagine, probably has a lot more ‘older’ (i.e. post-student) gamers, such as me, who could quite easily afford to buy one or more additional platforms and get games of all types, and in some cases do so, but don’t have the time (or the inclination) to play everything. Having surveyed the options we chose PC for a number of reasons, but don’t disparage the other choices.

If anything it’s the gamers who can’t afford to be in that position, and really are tied to their single format, that will defend it (whatever it is) and attack the others the most aggressively, in an effort to justify their own decision.

So I see no conflict with what Jim said – this is what we like, but other stuff is good, too.

35. Funky Badger says:

Sombrero: an Xbox costs less than your graphics card…

36. subedii says:

@FunkyBadger: Yeah but so does a SNES. Doesn’t really mean much if you’re not interested in getting one, and it’s not really relevant anyway since it’s not capable of playing modern games like a good graphics card is. That’s not even comaparing apples and oranges, more like comparing apples to bricks.

Seriously, why is this argument even here? I’m not interested in getting a 360 since I don’t want to get an HDTV yet, and I’m really looking forward to getting my game on with Bionic Commando, which looks like it’s going to be pretty awesome.

If I actually had a shortage of games to play through here then I’d see some reason for complaint, but frankly how open your gaming options are really depends on what games you’re into. Whilst I love my action games, gaming on a 360 doesn’t mean as much to me when I’m also a hardcore RTS fanboy. If I were a Halo fanboy then I might actually have that HDTV by now. The PS3, with a few exceptions, is to a large extent still playing 2nd fiddle to the 360 for games. And the Wii is just something else completely that I haven’t really been interested in since it got released (although proper motion plus control might pique my interest again).

Ultimately who the hell cares if you’re platform monogamous or not, it’s not like your ATI card will divorce your motherboard the second you plug a PS3 in or something. I’m on what platforms I am because that’s what suits me.

37. whalleywhat says:

Console releases are the Beta. I’ll take the full featured version. >;D

38. Bhazor says:

PC ROOLZ
    CONSOLZE DROOLZ
    OK

39. kevlar says:

I can’t believe the comments went into Console vs. PC territory.

But in response to the first instigator, I would say I’m fine with the PC getting ports. Of course, there still are a lot of great PC-centric games out there, just not as many big budget ones.

Unless it’s really console-centric, even with owning all three systems, I still prefer playing multi-platform games on my PC. It’s no secret that traditional PC games aren’t selling nearly as well as they used to, yet still take much more QA time than consoles because of being an open platform. Those games that do well either are involved in subscriptions/microtransactions or are really low budget due to the big piracy problem, and have low system requirements. As someone who prefers the PC first and foremost, I’m just glad some companies like Capcom are making decent ports (including higher resolutions and stuff) for their big budget single-player focused games at all, even if we have to wait longer for them.

40. Bhazor says:

It’s worth pointing out that though we wait three-five months for a conversion. When the conversion does arive we do pay less as theres no console license to pay and they often bundle all the dlc with it for free (Burnout Paradise for example).

As for Resi 5, bring it on. Resi 4 was one of the best action games ever made, although it’s controls are terrible for the space year 2009. I’m especially looking forward to a version where some clever sods will doubtlessly patch the stupid out of the hot chick.

Reply to Kevlar:
    What about Dow2, Champ Manager, Spore, C&C Red Alert 3 and Empire Total War which all managed to top the all formats chart. Let alone the Sims 2.

41. runcrash says:

Personally I’m glad CapCom and other traditionally console based publishers are bringing their games over to the PC and making good ports from the look of it too. I’m looking forward to playing RE5 on my PC.

42. Nill says:

Which is, perhaps, another issue: it’s been a long time since I identified myself as ‘PC gamer’ (…)

@Jim: Then again, many of your readers probably do identify themselves as “PC gamers” (I know I do!), and as such they may even be starved of games, seeing as fewer and fewer quality games are released for the platform and an increasingly large portion of those are delayed console-ports.

PC-gaming isn’t dead yet, but it’s certainly in decline or at least some sort of shift. Just look what happened to the Rainbox Six-series starting with Vegas. There’s no denying that it turned console-centric, and at least for me, one out of your PC-gamer audience, it’s dead now. Same thing with CoD 4: they didn’t bother tuning it for the more accurate and faster control-scheme on the PC and it turned into an all-out spam-fest. That’s happening all across the board, and delayed ports such as these from Capcom turn into some of the year’s highlights for the PC, which is kind of sad indeed.

Sure, there are a few quality games designed with the PC foremost in mind, but they are very very few. Nothing like back in the day, sadly.

43. Thants says:

Wait, what’s wrong with CoD 4′s multiplayer? There may be problems with grenade-spam, but I’m not sure what that has to do with the controls. What should they have changed to account for mice?

44. jawwad says:

hi guys i loved resident evil 4..n now resident evil5 about to launch for PC
    can anyone tell me what will be the system requirement?
    i have only 128mb vga n 1gb ram 2ghz proccessor

45. Skylance says:

@Jawwad:
    Minimum Requirements:

OS: Windows XP
    CPU: Intel PentiumD Processor
    AMD Athlon64 X2
    RAM: Windows Vista (1GB)
    Windows XP (512MB)
    HDD: 8.0GB or more
    Graphics: VRAM (256MB)
    DirectX9.0c/Shader 3.0
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
    Sound: DirectSound Compatible (DirectX9.0c or higher)

Recommended Requirements:

OS: Windows Vista
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Processor or better
    AMD Phenom X4 or better
    RAM: Windows Vista (2GB or more)
    Windows XP (1GB or more)
    HDD: 8.0GB or more
    Graphics: VRAM (512 or more)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 series or better
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 series or better
    Sound: DirectSound Compatible (DirectX9.0c or higher)

In other words, you really need to upgrade, dude :)

Comment on this story