Mysteries Of Westgate Finished. Later, Released.

By Kieron Gillen on May 1st, 2009 at 3:34 pm.

This was something of a saga. Ossian studios, a team of modders gone pro, were making the first Neverwinter Nights 2 add-on pack. It’s now available to buy from Atari’s shop in the US for ten dollars and from DLGamer for everyone else for just shy of ten quid. Which is pretty atrocious, but not why the game’s already somewhat infamous. Go read Wikipedia for the full story. The game seems to have been finished towards the end of 2007 and ever since then has been delayed for mysterious reasons. Initially it was claimed that they were waiting for a security system to be put in place but… really? Eighteen months to patch in some DRM. Crikey. Anyway, it’s out now and you’ll find its trailer beneath the cut.

Anyone played it yet?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. a rob amongst many says:

Richard O’Brien, sage of Cormyr!

Schaulustiger says:

Wow, I remember reading about MoW during my NWN 2 fanboy phase and that was, like, years ago. Despite alot of RPS readers not liking the game, I really loved it and I might as well buy this.
    Opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially on the story.

3. Shadowcat says:

The trailer monologue was going so well (a bit generic, but in a good way) until they decided to name the organisation… “The Night Masks”!

Watching that made me think of TESA: Redguard.

4. Gauntt says:

I will grab it in the next couple of days. Looks pretty promising.

Good review over at RPGWatch for this one.
    RPG Watch Review

They link to RPS a lot so I don’t feel bad linking them here.

5. James G says:

Actually gone back to playing Storm of Zenhir at the moment. Enjoyed the OC, and absolutely loved MotB, but SoZ leaves me a bit cold. (Although I somewhat thought it might, as it lacks the things I most enjoyed in MotB) Will possibly give this a try.

6. jalf says:

Funny how SoZ seems to have reached out to exactly the audience who weren’t into NWN2 and no one else. Seems everyone who liked NWN2 or MoTB find SoZ pretty unimpressive. At the same time, people like me who found NWN2 dull dull dull, actually like the changed focus on SoZ. I had a ton of fun with it until I got distracted by some other game and forgot about it.

7. Cheshire P says:

@ Shadowcat

The Night Masks are an established part of the Forgetten Realms lore, they’re the resident Thieves guild of Westgate. Theres more to it than that of course, but I’m sure thats verging into spoilers for the game.

8. phil says:

Interesting that DRM was cited as reason for the delay; I wonder what could hurt game sales more, the potential for piracy or keeping the game off the selves for two years whilst other expansions introduced fundamental gameplay improvements and everyone generally moved on.

9. Andytizer says:

I would be more interested in this if it were available on some platform like Steam (which would allow me to install and patch easily).

10. Chaz says:

Wow what a couple of whoppers! I bet they don’t want for jellied eel in Westgate.

11. psyk says:

Im going to piss my self when steam shuts down.

12. Shadowcat says:

Cheshire P: Ah. Not as bad, then. Or at least, a little harder to avoid.

I should also note that it was the sequence showing the ship’s arrival that reminded me of Redguard, not the voice-over.

13. suibhne says:

In the current market, Atari has a downright hidebound orientation toward DRM. Stardock and Valve define the leading edge of the conversation; Ubi experiments with no DRM at all; EA finally fulfills its commitment to provide unlock tools for all of its legit customers; and Atari happily chugs along, apparently still running on coal and choking on their own fumes, with a hard 3-install limit and no possibility of revoke.

Bah. It marred Riddick, and it mars this title even more (since, as a digitally delivered game integrated into the NWN2 “platform”, it’ll probably be harder to find a crack that removes DRM for those of us who bought the game).

As for the game, I’m looking forward to it. Darkness over Daggerford was, as a free pack, superior to most (or all?) of the commercial packs for NWN. Ossian has at least proved they *can* produce quality, and $10 isn’t exactly a high barrier to entry for a module that’s apparently much longer than many $60 commercial games. (I’m glaring in your general direction, Mirror’s Edge…)

14. Orange says:

I just couldn’t get into Storm of Zehir and that has left me a bit cold on trying another NWN2 expansion, even though Westgate sounds really well made.

However MotB was such a high point for NWN2 and had such great moments, even if Westgate is well made I can’t see it living up to that. I’ll pass for now, unless I get super bored.

15. Evan says:

So the NWN2 exp were worth it? I got half way through NWN2 and gave up. Mainly because of the engine, and the fact I decide to be a Warlock. The original was the poop. Hopefully it comes around. Playing The Witcher right now and keep thinking “this is what NWN2 should have been”.

16. Vinraith says:

@Gauntt

Thanks, that was a good read. Sounds like something easily worth $10, but for the 3 install limit (with no revocations, no less).

I don’t buy rentals, but if/when they remove that idiocy I’m there.

17. Funky Badger says:

Is NWN2 fixed yet, was bust on release (obv.) – I tried it again a couple of years later and was still broken, is it playable yet?

18. damien says:

i’ve been completely fascinated by how polarizing NWN2 and its expansions are.

i personally got over my problems with the engine but couldn’t get past how much i hated each and every companion in the first campaign.

MoTB just felt melodramatic for the sake of melodrama, the soul eating mechanic seemed a crude way of trying to deliver the moral grey area and heft the first campaign blissfully ignored.

i loved SoZ, tho. it brought party play back to NWN without distracting me by constantly trying to get my party members killed because i hated them so much.

19. CakeAddict says:

Wow I totally forgot about this one since had been delayed so many times, I might get it when I’m in town again.. not looking forward to reinstalling everything though. x)

20. TwistyMcNoggins says:

I had to give up on NWN2 when I got to the final level and it wouldn’t let me rest to regain my spells . Which meant I was left with a two wizards, a warlock and a cleric having to melee their way through the toughest monsters in the game.

:'(

21. Nate says:

You know, if I was a high level adventurer, I don’t think I’d stand for some sage shouting and pointing his finger at me. I pay my sages for sagacious advice. Jesus, dude, just tell me where the mask’s from. Don’t get all hysterical on me.

22. Stromko says:

Wow this would’ve been such a definite buy 2 years ago. . . But now I have like six other games on my mind and I’m not in a NWN2 phase right now.

Way to go Atari!

23. James T says:

I love the “it was in the depths of some unnamed dungeon…” The writers got the lead out for this one!

“In desperation, you sought advice from the sage Jim Cramer… ‘DO NOT SELL!’ he screamed, ‘Ossian stock is on the UP!’ Days later, your gold was scattered to the four winds…”

24. jt says:

“Taking to long to release so one cares” That’s actually a good way to avoid anyone to pirate the game.

25. qtzlctl says:

hey RPS, help me out here. Is it worth getting this or SoZ knowing that I HATE the mechanics/engine/bloat of NWN2. Don’t get me wrong, both NWN2 and MotB have had fairly decent storylines, but how am I supposed to progress when I keep shouting at the camera?

26. Klaus says:

I tried going through MOTB, but I dislike facets of their personality. The whole expansion is pretty much –

“It’s not my fault I eat souls and no I don’t care about your wolf friend.”
    “I admire your resolve, but I think destroying the wall is stupid. Good luck with that.”
    “Red Wizards are evil, no I’m not biased.”
    “Please stop talking about yourself. And whining, stop that too.

And please **** off and die, all of you. Huzzah!

27. Vinraith says:

For anyone that should check this article that doesn’t already know, the 3 install limit has been REMOVED from Mysteries of Westgate. It still requires a single online activation, but beyond that there’s no DRM interference. Go forth and purchase, I know I will.