Blurst’s Paper Moon: Now Live

By Alec Meer on May 2nd, 2009 at 12:22 am.

Yes, the latest digi-delight from the goodly Minotaur Chinashop / Offroad Velicoraptor Safari chaps is now up and running for your cost-free enjoyment. Go, go, go! These people make excellent games.

John shared some details earlier in the week, but there our words shall rest for now, as it is currently past the witching hour on Britisher shores and the Hivemind must retire to its briny jar-bath for the night. Thoughts on this pretty thing – which has splendid shades of Braid and Paper Mario – to follow at a later date, now doubt.

, , .

1. Skree says:

Hooray, new Blurst game :) I’m still personally turning to Blush in my minutes of boredom (never has a game been so swishy), but should be interesting to see their take on a platformer.

First impressions are that it’s a little less approachable than their other games, but perhaps this will grow on me…

2. Andy Baio says:

Gorgeous aesthetics and good gameplay, but is anyone else having periodic stuttering issues with the Trinity player? It’s making the game unplayable for me. Plus, I absolutely hate how you die once the time’s up, instead of being able to continue where you left off.

3. ZomBuster says:

I really like their games but do they to put a time limit in ALL of them.

4. Rob says:

I didn’t really enjoy this game as much as their other ones but the art style is great.

5. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Damn Flashbang and their Time Limits!

Starting over from scratch each time you get a time-out takes a lot of the wind out of my sails. I would settle for starting over from the start of the stage, even.

I wish some of their games had an “Explore” option that didn’t record scores but let you play to your heart’s content. Though I think this idea wouldn’t work too well with Paper Moon, come to think of it.

6. PleasingFungus says:

I kinda like it! Except for the blasted pirate ship bit. Hate that to death.

Anyway, I’m #279 OF ALL TIME, so that makes me a little bit happy. It won’t last, of course, but that’s all right.

7. motherpuncher says:

I really like what these guys do. Seems like it would be a cool place to work too.

8. Lars BR says:

Awesome game. Not starting over when you run out of time would ruin the game. There’s more than one path through it, and it doesn’t take a lot of time to complete it.

Just got the gold medal achievement as well as #28 :)

9. not the rob with a pony says:

My laptop won’t let me press more than two keys at once which makes this somewhat tricky.

10. KBKarma says:

I would like to point out that this is, in fact, a collaboration between Blurst and indie studio Infinite Ammo, which counts Alec Holowka of BitBlot as a member (and lead design).

11. roBurky says:

Why do all Blurst games have to have a time limit?

12. Nero says:

@Andy Baio: Yeah it happened to me too. Always suck when jumping on a cog and stutter and suddenly you fell down on the spikes and dead.

Anyway, nice game and I have wished for a free mode without time limit sometimes in their games but if you haven’t noticed they are all about getting the highest score in the time given.

13. N says:

Pencil Whipped-ish.

14. Kua says:

Well I can honestly say I have never played a browser game with my controller, though with xpadder I suppose I could now.

Didn’t bring the giddy joy that Minotaur in a China Shop did but a rather splendid achievement all the same.

EDIT: I see Blurst have implemented a new edit feature (tee hee!)

15. dadioflex says:

Didn’t like it. Slightly negative comments here seem to equal hatred. Or wotever. I should probably have said I thought it was rubbish but that would be the equivalent of burning the dev using his own family as kindling. But it wasn’t THAT bad. Not good, though.

BUT better than a lot of games I paid money for!

16. DaFox says:

I really liked it, I just wish there was one more level.

17. Thants says:

Well, I though it was quite lovely. The music really brings the whole thing together.

18. Valentin Galea says:

Poor man’s Braid with sucky controls!

19. Sunjammer says:

Man i’m not sure this is a good game, in spite of pretty presentation. It lacks the insanity and physicality of the other Blurst titles, and i simply don’t enjoy the scenery-popping mechanic. The bits in platformers where platforms show up and vanish in a sequence weren’t fun to begin with (I’m looking at you Mega Man), and being given CONTROL of the sequence doesn’t improve it one bit.

I simply couldn’t be arsed playing it anymore. It’s a shame, the presentation is killer.

20. surlyben says:

FWIW, the 5 minute time limit was in the original gamma3d game as well… Maybe that’s why blurst thought it’d be a good fit :) I miss the 3d version.

21. Wedge says:

I feel like I played a different game than everyone commenting here. Possibly because I had no problems with the controls at all and thought it was quite nice? It would have been interesting if they’d explored the mechanic of dying and restarting back at the checkpoint after you’ve done something a bit more though.

22. rabbitsoup says:

awww i think spelunky has ruined me it felt frustrating