Packing Jets: Dark Void

By Jim Rossignol on May 5th, 2009 at 12:15 pm.

The other Capcom game that has been confirmed for PC is Dark Void. The jet-pack-happy science fiction shooter is being developed by previously successful air-combat game developers, Airtight Games. They produced Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge on the OldenXbox. What we know at the moment is that the game is set in a dimension on the far side of the Bermuda Triangle, has Nikola Tesla in it, and features both hoverpacks and jetpacks, for aerial combat. The trailer (below) isn’t much more illuminating about all that, but the game does look both aerial, and pretty (I’ve posted a couple of new images below) with its Unreal Engine 3.0 environments. Possibly one to keep an eye on.

Dude shoots snakey robot:

Dude uses petpack:

Suuuupeeeer-dude!

, , .

1. Andy`` says:

Crimson Skies + Gears of War + Bear McCreary + PC = Yes!

I’m braced for disappointment so far of course, but the other trailers on GT make it seem kinda fun.

2. LewieP says:

I definitely think this could be good.

3. Dominic White says:

A minor correction: High Road To Revenge was on the original Xbox.

Also, while it was less of a sim than the PC original, it was my favourite of the two Crimson Skies games. It was positively dripping with atmosphere and pulp sci-fi adventure cheese.

This looks to be Crimson Skies, minus Planes, plus Rocketeering, which is a very good combination. I’m looking forward to it.

4. SirKicksalot says:

Brace yourselves for horrible controls, lads.

5. Ian says:

One day a protagonist will discover a portal to another world. A world ruled by…. happiness, actually. He’ll then live there when he discovers racing on electric spacehoppers is a sport and that he’s pretty good at it.

He will live happily ever after.

6. Dominic White says:

SirKicksalot: Is that having played it, or it is more of an ‘OLOL consoles’ statement? Because if HRtR was any indication, these guys can make a game about flying just fine.

Also, I just realised that this is, effectively, ‘The Rocketeer Vs the Robots From Dimension X’, which is an awesome concept.

7. nihohit says:

dude, you shouldn’t use ‘dude’.

8. Simon Jones says:

Yeah, Bear McCreary is the main reason to be excited about this, I think. Hopefully the gameplay will be good too!

9. Okami says:

@Dominic White: I played an early version of the game last year in Leipzig. The controls were awful and the “vertical cover” passages were clorified quick time events.

BUT

That was last year in Leipzig and who knows how old the build they’ve shown there was. I guess they’ve been using some kind of vertical slice “this is how the game might look like once it’s finished” version that they’ve been showing around since before last E3 or even GDC, so that would make it roughly a year old.

A year is a lot of time to address all the control and gameplay issues they had back then, so I’m still optimistic about the final quality of the game.

Little known fact: Every game is shit until it’s good at which point you burn it on a DVD and ship it.

10. Snuffy (the Evil) says:

Looks like Gears of War and The Rocketeer married and had a kid.

Not that it’s a bad thing.

11. Whiskey Jak says:

So far, the only notable criticism in the various previews is that the transition in the controls when you go from flying to walking/running/taking cover is kind of clunky, but otherwise I’ve mostly read good things about the game.

12. clovus says:

I’m terrible with jetpacks. For some reason if my character’s feet leave the ground I suddenly cannot hit anything. Plus it is bad defensively. You are now up in the air and can be shot at from all sides. In Far Cry 2 I happily jumped onto a hang glider as soon as I found one. I then floated over one of the checkpoints. Total death trap.

Hope you can switch to first person too. I guess 3rd Person for GOW style gunplay, but I liked how Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 handled that. Just do 3rd person when I’m crouched behind something.

edit: Also, all 3rd person shooters should have female protagonists.

13. SanguineLobster says:

Nikola Tesla had better be a preserved head as part of a larger robot with electricity powers and glowing generator that is revealed as he overheats or I will be very disappointed.

14. Fenchurch says:

Man I miss Tribes now. x-)

Vengeance had this one level where you were a robot merc. and you got to bound around this huge level tackling objectives in the order you wanted. I wish there were more shooters with a consistent sense of vertical scale.

Also,

JETPACKS! =-)

15. jay says:

If David Bowie plays Nikola Tesla then I’m interested.

If not I will be listening to Station to Station.

16. suibhne says:

The console press has been drooling over this for awhile, but it seems like there’s been relatively little interest on the PC side. Glad to see it getting some attention…I guess. The game certainly has potential, but most bad games had potential at some point. ;)

17. Chaz says:

That looks fun, I like jet packs. The Rocketeer meets Crimson Skies meets blasting robots type shenanigans, count me in.

I only ever played the PC version of Crimson Skies, and it was one of the best games I’ve ever played with my force feedback stick, second only to Mech Warrior 3. So is the XBox version any good? As I’ve always wondered whether to bother buying it as an XBox Live Original on my 360.

18. Optimaximal says:

I want a petpack…

19. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I can’t think of good jetpack mechanics since Armed And Dangerous (which was a-mazing even without jetpacks).

Fark it, someone should just re-do A&D on like Crysis, but keeping all the sounds and dialogue.

20. Psychopomp says:

@Chaz, it’s *far* more arcadey, whether that’s a good thing or not is up to you.

21. Dominic White says:

The Xbox Crimson Skies was the same setting and atmosphere, but yeah, it was less of a flight sim and more of a straight aerial shooter, with an interesting campaign structure – each campaign area was a freeform region with places to land to repair, rearm, upgrade, and get missions. It also had some surprisingly great boss battles – 1920-50s super-science is always fun to shoot holes in.

22. ACESandElGHTS says:

Rossignol, I’ll be using that “OldenXbox” line from now on because I’m not original and you are and that designation is full of awesomeness. I’ll kick a nickel back to you every time I use it, and given the fact the OldenXbox is literally mothballed in my basement, you should see a dollar’s worth of royalties sometime in 2012.

I am rooting for this game. I’m with Fenchurch — even if there’s nothing but endless sky above you, why not USE it?? The fact that Tribes-style games disappeared from the face of the earth until now is somehow criminal.

23. ...hmm... says:

CRIMSON SKIES WAS AWESOME

24. Bret says:

I hope the twist is that you were Tesla all along.

Because more games should star America’s #1 mad scientist.

25. Grey_Ghost says:

Long as it isn’t totally broken on release, I’ve got to have this.

26. Sajmn says:

In many games where the main character wears a suit of armor, he doesn’t wear a helmet so he would look “friendlier” or cooler or something. Nevermind ofcourse, that not wearing a helmet in a combat situation is extremely exposing and looks stupid in all cases.

But in this game, the character wears a helmet… but fails to protect anything else. But nevermind this. The game has jetpacks so all is forgiven.

27. Dominic White says:

Samjn – there’s a reason for him not having full armor. If he did, he would not be a Rocketeer.

Classy as hell.