To Sphere Is Human: The Ball Trailer

By Kieron Gillen on May 6th, 2009 at 6:46 pm.

A load of balls (trad)
Schizoslayer pointed me at the trailer for the forthcoming Unreal Tournament 3 mod The Ball. It’s out on the 7th, and the trailer really looks quite exciting. It’s got a mesoamerican theme to its first person puzzling, and has the vague vibe of you being a tiny person in a world of Marble Madness. Except with stress on the word “Madness”. It’s got that horror-movie vibe about it. For more information, you can have a look at the site, but it’s best to just sink up the atmosphere from the trailer.

Ignore the “get it now” though, as you bloody well can’t. But we’ll forgive them, as their site features a lovely screen of an whacking-great ape.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Flappybat says:

Why, three days after I uninstall UT3 do two decent mods (this and The Haunted) pop up? :(

2. The_B says:

“Test your wits against ancient puzzles”

There’s something not right about that. That signifies to me that lifts have been around for way longer than you think.

“Third floor: Menswear, gifts and UG STONE WHEEL”

3. Aubrey says:

QPong! YAY!

4. Krondonian says:

Having said that, I really do like the game despite the over wrought graphics.

I’ve recently been playing The Haunted too, which is a nice action horror-y 4 player shooter released last week. (Moddb page here.)

5. Chris R says:

lol…. NOooooooooo…. not… the BALL!

That trailer made me lol.

Anyway, whats this about mods for Unreal 3?? Have I been living under a rock? I guess I’ve been more engrossed in L4D and the mods for Stalker: Clear Sky over the past 3 weeks, :P

What other mods are there for U3? Would it be possible for RPS to do a post just like the Stalker: CS one about mods for Unreal 3? That would be super keen.

6. hydra9 says:

Apes are reason to be cautious. Remember the sad lesson taught by the ape-men of Nu-Brooklyn?

However, this trailer does look pretty cool. Portal meets The Crystal Maze meets something-with-guns? I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

7. Xercies says:

This has got to be the most silliest trailer I have watched.

‘Lets hope they never find the ball’

8. hydra9 says:

Okay… I now see from looking at the site that two episodes of ‘The Ball’ have already been released. The third is about to be released. So people with UT3 can download some ball action right now!

9. Tim James says:

Speaking of QPong: games journalists seem to love multiplayer FPS mods that involve a large ball.

10. foobar says:

Don’t worry too much about the name. The mod started out without really having a story. It was just puzzles in an aztecish environment. As you can see it evolved quite a bit (but it’s still very much puzzles in an aztec environment).
    Why Hourences decided to call it “The Ball” is beyond me though.

11. Krondonian says:

Hydra: the developers are rolling them all into this new release, including lots of fixes and tweaks of the earlier episodes, so they advised new players to wait for the new version.

I’m happily obeying.

12. Michael says:

Foobar: I’ve got a hunch, though.

I’m very much looking forward to given this more story-driven version a go at some point, eventhough I don’t have ut3. I might just pinch it off a co-worker.

13. unique_identifier says:

@xercies

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllll.

@ krondonian. urgh, pun

14. DK says:

“Oh yes. This, and Planescape: Angels Fall First were pretty much the only reasons I bought UT3.”
    Angels Fall First: Planetstorm actually. Planescape is a classic RPG which everyone should play atleast once. Something that should also be done with atleast one of the Angels Fall First games (Nexus, Homeworld 2, UT3 and some standalone versions respectively).

15. Mman says:

Wait, Hourences was a major part of the team? My hype just got a massive boost.

16. suibhne says:

@Mman: “The Ball is designed and directed by Hourences and has a 13 people strong international team working on it: Toltec Studios.”

Wow, sign me up. Hourences is absolutely one of the best mappers in the world.

17. Ryan says:

Video’s gone :(

18. Mman says:

Yeah, looking up more I see that Hourences not only worked on it, but led it, which is even better :) .

19. Krondonian says:

DK: I always make the exact same mistake, and really don’t know why. But yes, that one looks incredible.

20. Muggins says:

Trailer removed by user makes me a sad panda

21. Kieron Gillen says:

Video working again. They deleted the original one and uploaded a new one with a different logo on. Bless them.

KG

22. D says:

“6 Levels. 4 Hours of Gameplay”

Ah, honesty. Bless’m.

23. Juror #9 says:

AUBURY!!! QPONG OMG that was the best mod for Quake, unfortunatly the purists i played Quake with, didn’t care for it.

This looks pretty interesting.