Last Night: When The Bomb Goes Off

By Alec Meer on May 7th, 2009 at 11:06 am.

This maudlin wee thing has amused me highly. When The Bomb Goes Off is a cartoon dose of apocalyptic giggles, accompanied by a silent movie-style piano-noodling soundtrack. The world is going to end (via atomic explosion) in 5 seconds – within that oh-so-short time, you must complete an array of unnamed characters’ final acts. Catching a football, jumping off a building, kissing the one they love, making it to class on time, turning the shower off, saving a dog from being run over, jumping to the moon… Essentially, it’s Wario Ware: Armageddon Edition.

Alternatively, it’s a late adaptation of Canadian movie Last Night, which chronicled the final hours and decisions of a series of splintered characters facing the sure knowledge that humanity was about to be wiped out.

The controls are simple, but strangely, charmingly different from vignette to vignette. The only instruction is this: “When the bomb goes off, everybody’s got one last thing to do before they go. Use the arrow keys to make sure these things get done.” Some of the micro-games are tragic, some are very funny, but there’s certainly absolute futility to each and every one – the world’s still going belly-up either way. The only sign you’ve succeeded or failed is that the inevitable image of nuclear death is either green or red. In other words, there’s no-one left to care if you did it right – except you.

Embrace finality here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Schmung says:

Wee, it’s splendid.

I love all the movie and game refs in there as well. Prince of Persia 2 was a rather random one. I must have played that demo to death. I shan’t spoil anything other than that for anyone, but there’s plenty of nods to things in there.

Excellent time wastey goodness.

2. rei says:

Awesome!

I refuse to believe that all of those can be done in the allotted time, though :\

3. Ian says:

36% first time, 53% second time.

The ketchup one is clearly the nicest.

4. jolson42 says:

I got 30% on my first try, 60% on my second. I think I’ve had enough.
    I think they’re all possible, but you need uncanny reflexes to know what you’re meant to be doing.
    I love the boxing one.
    And the turtles. All of them.

5. NukeLord says:

40% on first try, 70% on second. I still have no idea what to do on the blurred love one, and the police escape one is annoying when you expect to be looking at the centre of the screen…

6. psyk says:

80% third try, rubbish control by me stopping 100%

7. Rei Onryou says:

26%. Don’t let me be in charge of the end of the world.

8. Tei says:

I only see a message “Download the latest Flash plugin”.

Since I am webmaster, is double the pain, because good professionals don’t use the latest version of Flash. Using the latest of the latest version of flash is lame because not everybody can use the last version. Worse, Macromedia can’t release the last version to all OS’s. Worse, If your computer and OS is 64 bits, you are f****, since the m**** of macromedia can’t code a 64 bits version of Flash to save his life.

Web plugins: More fail than win.

9. Larington says:

Anyone know what you do for the blurred love one? Also, the spelunking one is causing me real issues can’t jump or get past the turtles.

10. Zero says:

Larington:

For the blurred one, your (presumably) drunken character has just professed love for someone he wouldn’t want in a sober state. Run away.

For the cave: you can control the height of your jump by releasing the up arrow early. You don’t have to kill both the turtles — just let up go short of hitting the spikes and jump over them to get to the right side of the screen.

11. cyrenic says:

The ones where your character has been suddenly sped up and can jump a mile high are both hilarious and frustrating.

12. Nero says:

Hilarious stuff. I particularly liked the one where you jumped on the chandelier, gave me a good laugh for some reason.

13. lumpi says:

Haha, this is bri-

14. ryan says:

i really enjo-

15. Calabi says:

That made me laugh. Nothing like potential armagedon to cheer you up.

I like the idea of someone failing at doing something before the bombs strike. The humiliation and shame they must suffer in the after life after not being able to turn of the shower, or just missing that boat or dying before the nukes hit.

16. Gap Gen says:

lumpi + ryan: Comment of the week.

17. Tei says:

humm…

18. Bhazor says:

Reply to Tei
    Well I’m using Vista 64bit and downloaded the latest version and it works dandily.
    So shut up.

As for the game I’m not so impressed. Not as funny as Warioware or as varied as some other 5 second flash games.

I give this game C% out of 5 thumbs.

19. Tei says:

Bhazor: You probably are playing a 32 bits version.

“Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser.”

20. Bhazor says:

Tei
    But you said a 64bit OS not a 64bit browser.

21. Down Rodeo says:

Bhazor: that means that you lose the advantages of 64-bit technology though. Not for the whole system, but for the browser. Admittedly not that many people I know take up over 4 GB of space with Mozilla, but the memory’s not the only thing. Add to that very poor support on notWindows and it’s a very poor product indeed. I can hardly wait for a good, properly optimised version of Gnash. In fact, proper cross-platform video support in HTML would be nice, rather than reliance on Flash nonsense. In fact this game and “Today I die” were slightly marred by poor Flash for Linux from Adobe.

22. Lucky Main Street says:

I think the kicking-the-can one is my favourite.

What’s the goal of the bird/platform/youtube one?

23. Tei says:

Bhazor: Windows 64 bits is a good OS, as It can run both 32 and 64 bits stuff. But If you run a 32 bits browser in a 64 bits OS, you have in memory 32 and 64 bits versions of libraries. It takes more memory that it sould need. But again, thats is in Windows 64, and not everybody runs Windows 64. Fact is… on the internet, you don’t know what the next dude will run. Maybe a netbook with 800×600 resolution, maybe a Mac, maybe Linux, maybe Windows CE, whatever… so you sould use the standards, and if that is imposible, use technology widespread enough. And no, the latest of the latest version of Flash is not widespread enough. There will be always lots of people withouth flash, or with a old version of flash. Using the latest mean these people are banned from using your stuff for not reason at all. I can understand avoiding Flash 4, because it was before scripting was stable, and stuff. But jumping from Flash 9 to the next? WTF?…

24. Scandalon says:

I keep my users updated to the latest versions of flash, otherwise it’s a security concern. (Well, still is, but you know what I mean…)

25. Capital-T-Tim says:

@Tei: seriously, you’re giving this tiny indie project a hard time for requiring a newer version of Flash than you have (a version that’s been out for months, and that is free to download, and would take you under a minute to install)?

What about every other game that’s discussed on this site, which are mostly Windows-only executables? You can’t enjoy most of those on a Mac or a Linux machine. Should we wag our fingers at these other game developers too?

26. Melf_Himself says:

40% then 50%.

Lol.

27. bakaohki says:

@Tei: you choose 64 bit, now live with it. Honestly, if you really really want 64 bits, with Linux you have chroot or the beta flash player 10 (which does have 64bit version on Linux) – and many of the “windows only” executables do work with Wine. I’m not a Linux fanboy and this is pretty offtopic here, but just wanted you to know. Btw the game is really fun :)

28. drewski says:

Managed to get to 76% after many, many playthroughs, before getting bored. Very cute concept though.

What does Tom Sennet have against turtles, though?

Long Division! *hearts*

29. MIguel says:

really fun and addicting, on my first try I got 50%, but after playing numerous times I can do 93%