Huxley Beta Sign Up: For Americans

By Jim Rossignol on May 8th, 2009 at 1:55 pm.

The beta sign up for long-awaited MMOFPS Huxley has appeared on the game’s homepage. It sits alongside some swirly number things that you can hover over to reveal impressive video-splendor. Space armour dudes look angry. Sadly, you can only currently sign up to the beta if you are a resident of the North American continent. I’ve posted the now-ancient trailers for the game below. They’re probably not representative of how the Unreal-powered shooter currently looks. In fact, few details are known about the game, although the most notable aspects are that it will play something like Unreal Tournament, and support up to 100 vs 100 battles on servers of around 5000 players. Needless to say, I’m fairly excited.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Phooey. I’ve been reservedly looking forward to this for a while. Why no Europe love?

2. Dain says:

That lass on the bike must be freezing!

3. Nutkins Victory Otter says:

To the proxies!

4. Surgeon says:

I’m hoping it will fit into the Planetside shaped hole in my heart.

5. Rabbitsoup says:

ijji.com? don’t they host free to play micro transaction stuff?
    (checks)
    yes they do, hmmmm I hope this is ad supported not pay for gear, I’d rather pay for a level field or just watch adds. Made right this could be revolutionary anyone know if it will be any good or just a lag fest

6. Jim Rossignol says:

Rabbitsoup: I believe this will be full-on subs based, but I could be mistaken.

7. angelessme says:

some vids of huxley pvp from the koreans

UT in a persistent world is cool i guess

8. Rabbitsoup says:

Thanks for the Jim, I wonder if subs are good for games this fast packed because fatigue is much more of issue than in say WoW.

edit> that said i play a hell of a lot of tf2

9. Dave says:

Those videos would have been improved about 27% if they had just left off the “HUXLEY.” voice over at the end.

10. jonfitt says:

Argh. Most of the way through signing up, but I’m not at my gaming PC and therefore can’t get a dxdiag.txt.
    How annoying.

11. Tei says:

I play games where there are infantry mixed with vehicles, because I like vehicles. But If your enemy has powerarmors, and can kill your vehicle in two shots, then vehicles is not much fun. :-I

12. Senethro says:

Tei is the reason the only vehicles game I played was Quake Wars – EMP grenades were fun. I dislike the idea of vehicles as Easy Mode.

As its one of the possible futures of Deathmatch I’m interested in Huxley. I doubt Koreans can make an MMO that isn’t a grindfest but if its successful, who knows what it’ll lead to.

13. Finn says:

Lots of screenshots:

A shame they left us Euros behind. :/

14. Masterdog says:

Just out of interest, where does it say on the website it’s for North Americaners only?

15. Alex N. says:

This would be greatly improved by the addition of gibs and one or eleven shotguns.

16. Senethro says:

Gibs. Theres always one who can’t live without them.

17. l1ddl3monkey says:

@ Senethro: If it don’t gib, it aint dead :)

18. JayeRandom says:

I don’t want UT, I want science fictiony combined arms simulation. PLANETSIDE 2 OR BUST!

19. Kanakotka says:

KEEP THIS IN MIND;
    We’re talking of ijji here, who utilize rootkits and trojan horses as commonplace ”game protection”, have never harbored a game that works well, without little scriptkiddies knowing how to cheat in them, and offer absolutely no support whatsoever for their games. I have nothing but bad to say about this particular company, but i’ll likely test the game anyway, but for your own sanity, please, don’t expect anything good or great with anything that is affiliated with ijji.

20. Meatloaf says:

Hmmm… I don’t know, I never have liked the UT-style combat of Really Fast Strafing While Shooting Rockets.

I’m more excited about Global Agenda, but that’s just me.

21. Sonic Goo says:

I was hoping they’d spent the extra time on giving it a bit more personality, art wise. It’s a shame that they haven’t.

22. Marcin says:

@Meatloaf

I was going to say something similar, but you summed it up better than I would have, I think. :)

23. Inanimotion says:

I like how the beta sign up has a “check all that apply” type section that allows you to only chose one…

24. joncfc says:

how do you know the beta is only allowing septics to join? its let me sign up and im from the midlands :-/

25. Rudolfo says:

so it’s Bugs: the game, with an unreal tournament voice?Didn’t know they licenced the voices to go with the engine…

26. Batolemaeus says:

Great, had to read it several times, and everytime i read that i had to be a president of the North American continent.

27. plant42 says:

Eek… those graphics are pretty bad – the individual art assets look ok, but there’s so much tiling and empty space that it ends up looking all UT2002. I’m sure there are tech reasons, like having to support 100 people, but bleh.

The gameplay looks like standard decade-old FPS style fair. Adding MMO elements to this wouldn’t do anything for me. Grinding in an MMO is bad enough – grinding in a twitch shooter is a recipe for carpal tunnel.

On the bright side – running a spaceship into a players seems to be an integral part of combat.