Some Random DNF Renders and Screens?

By Jim Rossignol on May 8th, 2009 at 6:44 pm.

Not particularly interesting, as it’s just some character renders and a couple of environments, but Duke Nukem Forever materials nonetheless. They’ve apparently been posted by former art director from the project, Tramell Isaac, who also worked on Planetside and the original Fallout games. He’s looking for a job now, natch. And – assuming these are real – I expect we’ll see more such assets turning up on the web in the coming weeks. I’ve posted the most interesting ones after the jump. Click on them for full size. [Via Bluesnews.]

, .

1. A-Scale says:

That looks… dull.

Schaulustiger says:

What’s worse: it doesn’t even remotely have the Duke looks.

3. Tei says:

I love it, and has Duke Nukem written all over it. Duke has this mix of “Aliens 8″ and “Ford Farlaine” that is amazing.

4. Centy says:

HOLY SHIT ON A STICK!!! LOOK AT THOSE BOXES!!!!

I can’t belive we will never get to see those crates in game it truely is a sad day

5. Pavel says:

Ehm, apart from Planetside (who cares?) T-Ray also worked as an artist on Fallout 1 and lead artist on Fallout 2.

So…any positions open in Obsidian? huh?

6. Jim Rossignol says:

Planetside was awesome.

7. Theory says:

It’s a pretty good design. Muted, but then we’re seeing it without any bad guys in place.

8. 2DRealms says:

Where are the strippers?

9. MetalCircus says:

And everything else that made Duke 3D good?

10. jonfitt says:

That’s some fine looking alien drool.

11. CPY says:

DNF? What that means? Did not finish? XD

12. Bhazor says:

By render do you mean these are actual levels, mood boards or just pictures of what they think the game would look like? Either way, not overly impressive though the character renders are pretty nice but hardly 13 years of work.

Reply to 2DRealms
    They’re all round my house. We’re having a party. Candice brought nachos and Hank’s brought a jelly he made with Trev.

13. Bas says:

CPY: Did you ever think of starting a comedy career? Cause that comment was HILARIOUS.

This looks bland. And I can’t believe they couldn’t come with anything better than a couple of empty renders. 3Dfail amirite?

14. Resident says:

The graphics in the 2001 trailer looked better, only because they weren’t portraying a military industrial cave warehouse.

15. dan- says:

Is it just me, or do those screenshots remind anyone else of Half-Life? :S

16. PaulMorel says:

wow, those crates sure do look compelling!!!

God I am tired of space marines and aliens-inspired settings. Ditto with elves and Tolkien-inspired… in fact, I was truly amazed that King’s Bounty manages to rise above its generic title/setting.

Well, with regards to DNF, at least we didn’t miss out on some unique experience.

17. danly says:

At least the palettes are on the bottom of the crates, and not uselessly propped beside them or piled nearby.

18. Dyscharge says:

Shacknews has all of the screenshots that have been released:

There’s a NSFW artwork image in there, too, for the ones asking for boobies.

There’s also an in-game one, the fifth-from-last, which looks horrendous. I thought the jokes about them procrastinating most of the time were funny, but it seems like they were true, as well.

19. Flint says:

Dyscharge: I think that in-game shot you refer to is from around 1998-1999. I remember seeing it or something like it in a game magazine hype article back then.

20. Theoban says:

So it looks like in DNF, French electrical supplier EDF are the bad guys.

21. Gregory Weir says:

These actually look a lot closer to the original two Duke Nukem games than the flashier Duke Nukem 3d. I’m interested. I hope some form of this game can be released.

22. Comment system, what comment system? says:

Character renders? Environment shots? This the kind of media that accompanies most companies press releases for game announcements. Sorry if I don’t believe the Jason Hall video but all the materials released from 3d Realms suggests that the current build of Duke Nukem Forever was no where close to being done.

Now that 3d Realms is out of the picture 2k will probably get the game completed, for better or for worse.

23. jsutcliffe says:

Nobody else finds it amusing/ironic that this is the most we’ve seen of DNF* (heh – “did not finish”) yet?

24. Halibut Barn says:

25. qrter says:

Hm, these pics just look drab and uninspired.

26. LionsPhil says:

+5, Fact

Also, heh: http://sikander.shackspace.com/DNF/DNF%20refund.jpg
    It’s kind of saddening that the only thing in those pictures that isn’t standard Unreal Gears of Epic Greyness is a radio-controlled toy car. Looks like Duke3D’s sequel died inside before 3DR did.

27. Zyrusticae says:

I think these show some promise – promise that will unfortunately never be fulfilled. Well, unless someone competent manages to take up the reins, but don’t color me optimistic about that…

28. Adam T says:

Duke Nukem Forever has long approached the task, but now the work is done. The game has transcended mere existence. Many try – games are hyped, but eventually they are played and their possibility function collapses to a point of experience. This game, however, will live forever.

All that is needed now is for some semi-believable story to emerge of the one man to have played a test build, that it was AMAZING.

29. Shadowmancer says:

When 3D Realms went bust they should have just released everything they had on Duke Nukem Forever and let the fans finish it off.

30. Gap Gen says:

This actually makes the chair story’s idea of DNF as a continuous, never-finished proof-of-concept for the Unreal Engine more plausible, not less.

31. Resident says:

Adam T:
    Will this suffice?

32. LionsPhil says:

Yeah, Jace Hall is that man. I wonder if any NDAs he was under died with the company? ;)

33. I am beginning to understand this comment system says:

Halibut Barn said:
    “These pics are being put up as part of the portfolios of the guys now looking for work, so naturally they’re going to be focused on certain things they specifically worked on. They’re not meant to be “hey, here’s DNF in all its full glory!” shots.”

Point taken, but the stuff they released BEFORE going belly up was pretty much a joke also. Small little render picture of a few enemies and 3 second teaser of Duke. At least with the old trailers they were trying to impress people.

34. MetalCircus says:

I remember the e3 trailer footage and I remember being totally blown away with how awesome it looked.

35. Larington says:

Frankly, I had expected Duke Nukem to have a sort of old feel & visual style to it that would inevitably go on to be called dull. Its telling that someone thought of Half-Life when they looked at those images.

And yes, Planetside *was* awesome, could have been awesomer though.

36. Bob Hope says:

Some time back I saw a video from the actual game… it was a gameshow where the host got to play it at 3D Realms. Does anyone know what I’m talking about and where to find it?

Cheers.

Edit: Sorry didn’t see Resident’s post.

37. Scandalon says:

I remember the original footage when it was using a modified quake engine…

38. Explosive Coot says:

I agree with the comments that the 2002 version looked a lot better than the newer shots – this looks one hundred times better than the fake-plastic, uncanny valley shots. I was sad to hear about 3D Realms finally closing, but if this is what DNF would’ve looked like then I wish the best to the recently unemployed, but am glad to that the world is spared another generic-looking shooter.

39. perilisk says:

“hm, apart from Planetside (who cares?) T-Ray also worked as an artist on Fallout 1 and lead artist on Fallout 2.

So…any positions open in Obsidian? huh?”

He was the art lead for NWN2, FWIW.

40. Pavel says:

perilisk – Wonder why he left to make……..Did Not Finish….if he stayed, he could have been working on a new Fallout today.Silly him : )

41. PC Monster says:

After 13 years I think it might be time to lay this bad joke to a long-overdue rest. Farewell, DNF. It was fun while you lasted…and lasted…and lasted…and lasted…

42. LionsPhil says:

I remember the original footage when it was using a modified quake engine…

I still have that trailer. And the “high quality” Bink version of the 2001 one, that changes resolution to 640×480 when run.

Tired of shooting crap? Looking for the real deal? Always bet on Duke!

43. congo says:

By the looks of it, theres hardly anything new from since DN3D. What a waste of time.

Bloody sequels, gaming didn’t get the way it is today by everyone cloning pong and tetris.

44. toro says:

Wow, boxes fetishism is so trendy today. :P

45. LionsPhil says:

Softly softly leakee footage.

Enh. Too grey, too brown, too shiny. Boss fight that looks like “kill it three times, with button to press after each”.

46. party gowns says:

I really enjoyed reading this article.Thanks.