4 Real: Thief 4

By Jim Rossignol on May 11th, 2009 at 3:26 pm.

(Thi4f? 4FS.) The giant rumour-phone they call the Internet has been a-rumbling with Thief 4 noises for many months now, and so it seemed certain the announcement was imminent. Naturally RPS’ enormous BFG-like ears had long ago picked up concrete information, but we couldn’t confirm it. Now we can. Confirmed. The press release (in full below) reports that the game is still at a very early stage, and is being developed by Eidos Montreal, who are also handling Deus Ex 3. They’re looking for new staff, too. Talk about labouring under the weight of expectations, eh readers?

Eidos-Montréal is excited to unveil its previously secret second title in development at the studio, Thief™ 4, the next instalment in the legendary series.

The original Thief game, Thief: The Dark Project redefined first person gaming and established an entirely new genre of stealth based game play. The critically and commercially acclaimed Thief series has won numerous awards and accolades including GameSpy Hall of Fame, GameSpot Greatest Games of All Time and The Academy of Interactive Arts And Sciences Outstanding Achievement in Character and Story Development.

Eidos-Montréal, which is also currently producing the much anticipated Deus Ex™ 3, has recruited the very best core team for the development of Thief 4. The team is comprised of industry veterans who have worked on an incredible collection of AAA titles and who each bring personal expertise in their respective fields.

“We’re in the early development stages for Thief 4, but this is an incredibly ambitious and exciting project for Eidos,” said Stéphane D’Astous, General Manager at Eidos-Montréal. “While it’s too early for us to offer any specific game details, right now we are focused on recruiting the very best talent to join the core team at the studio and help us make what we believe will be one of the most exciting games on the market.”

Development is under way and the team is looking to recruit the very best talent as production ramps up. If you are a world-class developer looking to join the talented Thief 4 team, visit www.eidosmontreal.com to submit your résumé or www.thief4.com to join the community discussion.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gap Gen says:

What about Thivf?

2. Bohan says:

Thifourf? That’s a bit of a mouthful.

3. jalf says:

Thi4f? This game shall be known henceforth as ThiAf.

Also, didn’t they already recruit “the very best core team” for Deus Ex 3?

4. kafka7 says:

At last: Thief 4. Even though it was the worst kept internet secret for a long time I still feel the urgent need to change my underwear.

5. AndrewC says:

I very strongly disapprove of this name.

6. Ian says:

Ain’t no way I’m ever typing that as anything other than Thief 4.

7. Senethro says:

I’m willing to give this a chance. Thief: Deadly Shadows was better than Deus Ex: Invisible War.

8. Jockie says:

Surely that logo/name won’t last until release. Once again I find myself flabbergasted at the lack of common sense in a major entertainment organisation.

On the other hand: yay.

9. Mejwell says:

They got greedy. An ‘H’ turns into a non-closed top 4 so easily!

10. hydra9 says:

Hoo-ray! To celebrate, I’m going to the bear pits tomorrow. Ya wanna come with?

11. Pags says:

“Man we totally missed a trick by not calling the last one Thi3f! People love that sort of thing. Perhaps if we call this one Thi4f then we’ll be forgiven.”

12. James says:

I’m willing to overlook the horrendous liberty taken with the name for two reasons:

1) Thief 4 exists. I now have a new reason to live.
    2) I’m clinging to the optimistic view that this will have an actual title by the time it’s released, or at the very least they’ll have the good sense not to print it like that on the box.

My excitement is the only thing distracting me from my overwhelming disappointment. The way they teased it, and teased May 11th, I expected a little more than ‘yeah, it exists’. How about a little info on the structure? Story? Estimated release date? Hell, a bit of concept art would have done!

If this isn’t at E3…

13. Yak Jazz says:

They don’t make Thief logos like they used to.

14. James T says:

4FS

Haha, quite.

Hope they don’t cop out!

15. Ragnar says:

I’m interested in how they will continue the story. Will we still be playing as Garrett or are we going to play someone else?

16. Jonas says:

They seem quite eager to be the next generation ION Storm Austin. It’s just a shame they haven’t managed to hire more of the old staff.

Still, I’m hoping this will be good. I’m also hoping it will be a bit of a break with the previous trilogy, narratively. Perhaps moving the setting to a slightly later era of steampunk? I guess they can’t get too Arcanum for fear of coming too close to Deus Ex 3′s weird rennaissance theme though.

17. Old Hat says:

This has potential to be absolutely awesome. As long as they bring back the rope arrow. Thief 3 was seriously lacking in the go anywhere you please with your trusty thief equipment department. Magic gloves? I mean, come on!

18. Rosti says:

Amused that thee-af makes it sound like some kind of Jamaican action game, mind.

Look forward to more info-news in the future.

19. whaleloever says:

I can’t wait for Thiaf!

20. PC Monster says:

YES! *punches air, dodges counterblow*

This has put the shittiest year ever right into context! Lost my job? Doesn’t matter – Thief 4 is coming! Broken up with GF? Doesn’t matter – Thief 4 will be all I need!

WOOHOO!!!! God, I love this series SO MUCH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

21. Alex Norris says:

I just made the mistake of checking out the official forum. It features people demanding that Garrett be the lead character, or else they’ll positively refuse to acknowledge the game! (I personally think the game should feature an old Garrett who goes missing as part of the plot, with the lead being his female apprentice who’s been working on her own for some time – as long as she’s as acerbic and cynical, everyone wins out) as well as people asking for a rehash of the Cradle, which would be bad for two reasons: a) a new Cradle level will never live up to the original (nostalgia and déjà-vu) and b) I would be forced to stop playing Thief 4 upon reaching that level (seriously, my mind refuses to acknowledge the existence of the Cradle; I remember entering through the basement, and then fighting the Hag in the streets, but nothing inbetween).

Gah.

Edit: for those worried about the “Thi4f” shtick, one of the Eidos staffers posted that it was a working title, and that all domains etc. associated with the game had been registered as thief4.com. See the official forums (but beware unrepentant fanboys) for more detail.

22. Carey says:

I should like to see increasing scales of criminality for each new game. I suggest Larceny (larcenist?) = Theft-with-trespass y’see?

23. Hermit says:

Seriously hoping they change the name quickly. Thiaf sounds like a disasterous attempt to be ‘cool’.

I can see the mission briefings now. “Got a hot tip from my mate Heartless Perry, innit. Rich geezer, Lord Julian or summit, got some jewels, man. Totally having those!”

Still, helpful advice for Eidos: Don’t screw it up.

24. drewski says:

Eidos clearly dropped the ball on D3us 3x, in hindsight.

25. Taillefer says:

Prepare for trailer of dual-wielding Garrett performing a deadly pirouette and decapitating two guards, then swiftly letting loose an arrow in to the eye of a third. Cloak and hood blowing wildly in the dark, rainy night. Close-up of blood draining into a steamy drain. HE’S BACK. All to a Marilyn Manson song. Ah ah. No?

Sorry. I am terribly excited, really! Yaaay!

26. lumpi says:

Because the industry “has grown up as a whole”, the first changes EM will introduce to Thief will consist of regenerating health and the replacement of shadow-based stealth by a revolutionary “line-of-sight” approach. Also 3rd person only to because the fresh crowd of console-Gs wanna see the “cool animations”.

27. Sp4rkR4t says:

It’s bad enough that they saw fit to use l33t speak in a commercial title of a product but to go and get it WRONG is beyond a joke.

ThiAf, no thanks I’d rather have Thief 4 please.

28. Stense says:

Yay, Thief 4! One of the internet’s worst kept secrets, but nice to have it all gone done official like.

But Thi4f… Really? Someone needs to have a good hard talk to whoever came up with that.

29. jalf says:

Eidos clearly dropped the ball on D3us 3x, in hindsight.

surely you mean D4us 4x

30. Acosta says:

When they can’t even get the name right, what can you expect of the game?

I’ll keep the cyninc in me jailed, but I’m not amused seeing all this past raiding from no-name studios. Now get off my lawn.

31. Citizen Parker says:

@Sp4rkR4t Come now, their usage of 4 instead of e isn’t so bad, is it SperkRet?

32. Ginger Yellow says:

Se7en has a lot to answer for.

33. Wirbelwind says:

Compared to the abomination Deus Ex 3 is turning out to be compared to the original games I’m not getting my hopes up for th14f; g4gnsta 3d1t1on

34. jalf says:

Original games? Anyone thinks there was mor than one “original” Deus Ex game instantly forfeits any right to comment on Dx3. ;)

35. Petethegoat says:

At first I assumed that that was a mock up by RPS, but it seems this is the case. Oh dear.

36. TheFatDungeonMaster says:

Here’s hoping.

37. Stupoider says:

Here’s hoping too!

38. Lu-Tze says:

I hope the tutorial level features scrumping.

39. Gap Gen says:

Lu-Tze: That would be ace.

40. Lorc says:

It wants to be pronounced “thorf”.

41. ilves says:

don’t really get switching the E for a 4… the two symbols don’t even look alike, they would’ve been better off with one of the other letters. Thief is awesome, but who knows if they’re going to pull this off. They’re putting a lot of fanboi wrath on themselves by doing thief 4 AND Deus Ex. They’ll either be the most hated company in the world or the most beloved with not much in between.

42. Fat says:

That’s even worse than ‘Driv3r’s name.

43. diebroken says:

Fantastic news! :)

I guess the Dark Mod will have to suffice till then…

44. Ian says:

Isn’t the new Deus Ex a prequel? That’d make it 0eus Ex.

45. stormbringer951 says:

I’m going to be cynical and go for The Dark Mod. Until I get a proper prequel, The Dark Mod is where my taffing fix is :)

46. John Walker says:

I’m going to call it 44444.

47. JKjoker says:

i just hope they keep the good things about thief 3 (i actually liked the stealth and story from that one a lot) but fix the incredible small areas (which forced them to be very linear)

also, “Thi4f” is so stupid, what is the problem with “Thief 4″ ? is it because they think Yathzee will like it if the number is not at the back of the title or something ? how about “4 a Thief” or “Thief 4evah” (that one would make the Duke cry), …. “Left4Thief”?

48. Theoban says:

I reckon they’ll retitle it to Burgl4r instead.

More breaking and entering and nicking the stereo in this version.

49. Deadend says:

It doesn’t even work as leet speak! e = 3 not 4!
    Is it Thi 79? As 4f could be in hex.
    I just can’t wait to hear how anyone tries to say the name in promotional material and not sound like a douche.

Comment on this story