Duke Nukem Footage

By Jim Rossignol on May 11th, 2009 at 8:13 am.

This splurged its way all across the web yesterday, but we might as well report it for The Eye of RPS to gaze down on it with a fiery stare. It is apparently a demo reel from developer Bryan Brewer, who worked on the game until the recently closure of 3D Realms. Various sources managed to grab the video before he pulled it off his site, presumably at the sabre-rattle of parties who remain interested in what exists of the game. The actual game footage is spliced with a lot of modeling roughs and concept stuff, but it gives us a fairly good idea about how Duke might have played: it’s a first-person shooter videogame.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Duouk2000 says:

If the game had come out and had the general vibe and personality of this demo reel I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

2. Jason Moyer says:

The most frightening part? The nippleless stripper.

I dunno which video you’re watching, but the DNF one linked in the article certainly features nipplage.

3. Zero says:

@Marilena: Yeah, the “ego” thing appeared in Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. It was a hybrid of health and Duke’s “force of personality” (read: you regenerate health by killing enemies and being awesome.)

@jon_hill: Hell yes. I thought Serious Sam 2 wasn’t as inventive as it could’ve been, but hand Croteam the engine and assets and I’m sure they’d throw together something that was a winner.

4. Spanish Technophobe says:

Looks like it would have been fun but painfully ’90s. And they definitely needed a better voice actor, if those are real voice clips from the game.

5. Dominic White says:

I’m fairly sure the audio is a mix of the Megadeth cover of the Duke Nukem theme, and voice samples from earlier Duke games. I doubt they had any voicework done for the game – I’m fairly sure that’s one of the last things that happens when making a game, as you have to have the levels/script all worked out first.

6. IratePundit says:

its a shame. I would have bought this game. Looks to be on par with painkiller and serious sam 2, both games i really enjoyed.

People need to pull their heads out their asses and realise that Half Life 2 and Bioshock are not the entire FPS scene, just a small part of it.

I think Duke Nukem Forever would have been an entertaining, macho, humerous shooter. Remember when we had games that made us laugh??? What happened to those?

7. jonfitt says:

Looks pretty fun. I’d play it.

8. Duoae says:

I think the footage highlights how little FPS gaming has progressed and how awesome DNF would have been.

9. Rohit says:

That did look fun.

Not all shooters have to aspire to be HL2. In fact, I wouldn’t want that.

10. Dave Gates says:

It looks like a good game. The setpieces look like standard fare, and not much better than something infinityward could have throw togther in a year or so. To an extent, I don’t think we would have ever had a game to live up to the DNF moniker, but it would have been nice closure for us all to make up our own minds… it is genuinely sad this will probably never see the light of day, but really after 10 years unless it cured cancer and make us all bikes out of sandwiches it wouldn’t have been good enough.

11. SmokingKipper says:

@Duoae

But how the hell could an fps be different? Whenever they differ too much they are put into another box, such as action rpg or whatever. Look at the differences between Serious Sam and Deus Ex, or maybe Thief.

12. Joshua says:

From what I read at Shacknews, this is stuff that doesn’t represent the final game.

What final game?

There is no final game.

Maybe there would be, though, if George Broussard spent less time posting bullshit on Shacknews.

13. Benny says:

I think alot of people seem to miss the point slightly. Duke isn’t redefining any genre it’s just kicking ass and chewing bubblegum. You laugh at the one liners, blow shit up, then kick back and crack open an alcoholic beverage of your prefered choice.

One problem might have been that DNF was completely self funded, and the lack of the ever hated, feature removing, game destroying publisher always breathing down the neck of the developer might have led to the constant restarts and slow progression of the game. The whole ‘last 10% takes 90% of the time’ rule sticks strong and i feel that there was a mass of tweaking on extra fine details when they still had the rest of the game to get sorted.

Either way, maybe one day Duke’ll finally see the light of day. I really hope so atleast.

14. suibhne says:

The animation is really stellar, a cut above even most current games. It also looks like they were placing a high priority on the “embodied” perspective done so well in Far Cry 2.

Not saying it would’ve been a good game, but I feel more regretful after watching that clip than I did before.

15. LionsPhil says:

The minecart sequence dates back to the Quake-engine ’98 trailer (and also appears in the 2001 one).

Like I said in the previous thread, though: Enh. Too grey, too brown, too shiny. Boss fight that looks like “kill it three times, with button to press after each”.

And what happened to the pig cops’ glowing red eyes? If you’re going to have a dark level, at have some of those glaring back at you. Bipedal ungulates are not exactly stealthy assassin types.

16. graham says:

Shame, it looks pretty good.
    Considering the time they had spent on it would expect a little more polish.
    I did like to pole dancer just standing around waiting for the show to start…..Sadly she is going to have to wait a little longer

17. Tei says:

@Benny:{{The whole ‘last 10% takes 90% of the time’ rule sticks strong and i feel that there was a mass of tweaking on extra fine details when they still had the rest of the game to get sorted.}}

The good thing: now we have a cautionary tale for newborn game dev’s. “Finnish your stuff!, If you run it forver, maybe you will never end it”

18. Erlam says:

The industry really needs this game to be finished. Someone needs to prove you can make a shooter that isn’t gray/brown, with regenerating health mashed into a ‘realistic’ combat system.

I want rockets, I want lasers, I want stupid enemies, I want awful, so bad it’s funny humour.

Basically, I’m tired of the Gears of Duty games. I want something that is based on fun, not shoveling new buzzwords at me.

19. Stupoider says:

Wholeheartedly agree, Erlam. Gray and brown is so boring. :<

20. SmokingKipper says:

This whole argument is stupid, I would argue that the FPS genre has had more innovation than any other.

You have your standard point and shooty such as:
    Doom
    Serious Sam

then you have your team based shooters, requiring co-ordination and planning:
    Battlefield
    Unreal Tournament

For story please turn to:
    Bioshock
    Possibly Fallout 3

What, exactly is the problem?

21. ChampionHyena says:

@jon_hill987: Seconded.

Oh, wow. Through all the delays and everything, it never occurred to me that THEY WERE ACTUALLY WORKING ON A VIDEO GAME. Jesus. This makes it worse. This is just a tiny little snippet of footage, most of it going through the motions of stuff we’ve seen before. But look at it! It looks like Duke! It looks like a fucking blast!

Aaargh, I’m so gee-darn pissed right now.

I’m going to play a little DukePlus and pretend it’s a new game.

22. MetalCircus says:

Okay, I have to admit I was sceptical, but seeing duke flip the finger to the alien ship warmed my heart :D

23. psyk says:

How the hell do make an original shooter nowadays?

24. MetalCircus says:

@psyk right, exactly. Duke wasn’t really that inovative anyway. Okay so it added an extra dimension of interaction with destructable objects etc but apart from that it was another FPS back then, too.

I think most people want to play duke as a remake. They want the trademark humour to be there, and the silly, kick ass action stuff still there too. That’s why I love duke 3D and I was hoping Forever would bring that.

25. SmokingKipper says:

Looking back, was Hexan not seen as a bit different too? With all the spells and such?

26. Solar says:

Come get some!

Making bacon, I could do this all day.

Don’t worry girls there’s plenty of Duke to go around, forever…

The king is dead, long live the king of the world baby.

RIP DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

…. /cry

27. SirKicksalot says:

The entire plot was leaked. FFS.
    I ain’t gonna read it.
    Here’s a link:

28. PJ says:

Shame, looks like it would’ve been silly, over the top fun. Though with those weapons, bosses and enemies it does look a bit like more of a remake of 3d than a whole new game. Where was the new stuff?

29. MetalCircus says:

having just watched it again it seems like it was going to use the Prey engine?

The shotgun “pump” animation was weaaaak. In Duke 3D he really pumps away at it, made you feel all manly. ¬_¬

30. Pod says:

Looks great.

SNIFF SNIFF. SNIFFUS. :’(

31. Spanish Technophobe says:

Damn, what a stupid plot. Probably still woulda been fun, though.

32. Adventurous Putty says:

Hm, looks like they actually made good progress with the levels.

Someone really should take over this and release it.

33. bildo says:

sad…sad world we live in when a bad ass gets canceled. Pour some out for Duke who can’t be here. Hopefully the game will get picked up by someone who has played the shit out of Duke Nukem 3d

34. Vincent Avatar says:

It may be nothing but misguided nostalgia, it may be that the passing of 3D Realms has clouded my mind.

But damned if I don’t wish this game saw the light of day, and damned if I don’t wish I could play it.

35. CG says:

I was all ready to mock it, but then I watched the clip and it looks… really fun. Refreshing in its cartoon-campiness after the seriousness of shooters nowadays, exactly the same way the original was refreshing after Doom and Doom II.

36. Muggins says:

Who would have thought that it would actually turn out this well? I was expecting a mess of half developed ideas after this long in development (and probably redevelopment!)

Of course it never saw release so all we get are cut scenes :(

37. Martin K says:

It’s rare that I rescind my completely worthless two cents, but having looked at the design documents and the leaked hi-res images, I’m actually now convinced this would have been quite good fun. Pity, that.

38. Aftershock says:

Health is for women. Real men have ego meters.

39. Schmung says:

So, with the serious info dumps and like that have gone on people are starting to speculate that this is some sort of utterly genius PR campaign. Case from that being that there are usually really strict agreements that govern what people are allowed to post about a game – even after it’s cancelled and that in other cases it’s many months before you start seeing stuff from cancelled games on peoples portfolios. An interesting theory, but I fear that it’s little more than that.

40. Sonic Goo says:

I doubt a 90s throwback would be the answer to the averageness of the average shooter these days.

Though it would have been nice to have a game like this around.

41. LionsPhil says:

Dang. Some of those SirKicksalot leaks aren’t grey.

42. LionsPhil says:

Oh dear god. The plotting documents. So bad. So reads-like-Duke-3D-fanfic bad.

Someone has pointed out that they start on April 1st. Please let this be a sign that they are an injoke, hoax, or such.

And at one point you have to give Duke a lap tance, as Bombshell, who I thought had been ditched some time before 2001. “Press X to shake it, baby”. “Press Y to feel dirty and cheapened”.

43. phlebiac says:

if you asked me the duke is not dead … the brand’s potential is just too big to let it die that way … i am sure one day we will be able to play the duke again!!!

Comment on this story