Grand Chef Auto: Pizza City

By Jim Rossignol on May 12th, 2009 at 3:12 pm.

This flash game over on Adult Swim is a fun time. In Pizza City you take on pizza delivery tasks, driving around the pixelated city in a manner reminiscent of the GTA games. Collisions mean damaged pizzas – and disgruntled hippies/body-builders. As you get more cash you can upgrade to better cars, refuel, and so on. But damn, I wish they’d tipped like that when I was a pizza delivery boy. Maybe it was because I was terrible.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. jonfitt says:

You get penalties for running over pedestrians! What the hell!?!

Except for clowns. Phew.

Also, perhaps you would have got larger tips if you’d also had such an outrageous mullet?

2. phil says:

Strangely, a brief student stint as a bike courier was as close to ‘games in real life’ as I’ve got, thanks to rediculous time limits, GTA style driver aggression and the seemingly constant proximity of violent death; it would have been OK if I could’ve just saved between missions…

3. Narwolf says:

This is made by Pixeljam of Dino-Run and Gamma Bros notability by the way.

4. Rei Onryou says:

YOU were a pizza delivery boy?!? This. Changes. Everything…

5. MikeBiggs says:

While you may have been terrible it’s more likely because Brits don’t tip much and Americans tip a lot more in comparison

See the diner scene in Reservoir Dogs :D

Checking the game out now…

6. D says:

MikeBiggs: A) You’re not just confused because the dollar is worth less? B) Steve Buscemi was never british.

7. Sam says:

Try running into Sal.

8. MikeBiggs says:

@D the point I tried and failed to make was that there is a difference in culture.

In the service industry in America you get paid a lower wage and rely more on tips, not tipping is (As I understand it) not very common in America.
    Whereas in England the service charge is included in the cost so the company can afford to pay you more, this means tips are nice but not necessary. We tip for particularly excellent service as opposed to acceptable service.

Am I making sense?

The reference to reservior dogs was merely the first reference to the culture of tipping I got off the top of my head, I wasn’t trying to say that because he didn’t want to tip he was British.

I dunno, maybe I’m just sounding like an arse here.

9. HiroProtagonist says:

Why does delivery pizza tack a delivery fee now? Wasn’t that the purpose of the tip?

10. D says:

@MikeBiggs
    Sorry, I completely misread your first post as american biggotry! :D Your reference makes much better sense now.

11. LionsPhil says:

Wow. This fails in both retro charm (what the hell is with the mismatched pixel sizes, or awkward mixture of tone-generated and sampled sound?) and in actually being a compelling game. If GTA had handled so treacle-badly, they’d have never reached their big break with III.

12. hydra9 says:

I really like the controls. And the style. If this had’ve come out on the C64 back in the day, it would have been an all-time classic!

13. Crispy says:

Not as good as Pizza Tycoon, then.