Slim Cell Shady: The Adventures of Ambages Demo

By Kieron Gillen on May 14th, 2009 at 6:11 pm.

If there’s one thing we like, it’s cartoon puzzle-adventures. If there’s one thing we hate, is screenshots with logos on which means we can’t crop them attractively. In which case, The Adventures of Ambages is scoring 1-1 before you even actually play the bally thing. The game’s coming out in the age known as “Q3″ but this is a cell-shaded and… waitasec. This is interesting. Its feature list states it’s “Free for all ages” and then says it’ll cost “$14.99″. Presumably it’s a translation error from German (“Accessible to all ages”?), but at least it fills this post until I get to the bit where we stick a video beneath a cut. Phew.

And here’s ADVENTURE! by Be Your Own Pet for added irrelevancy.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Ed says:

That music video is disturbing. I was kind of hoping the other rabbit would go on a rampage and make human sausages out of the band. Twist!

2. Ecko says:

A band which is sadly dead.

I enjoyed seeing them live greatly, wild fun!

And uh, cellshaded yay.

3. Bhazor says:

Isn’t that the music from Karoshi 2?
    Not too impressive debut trailer but I’ll wait to see some sample puzzles before I dismiss like it was a gay game by gays for gays.

4. El Stevo says:

That looks absolutely awful.

5. Sparvy says:

Sorry but this drives me nuts, its called cel-shading. One L, thats all, not two, it has absolutely nothing to do with cells.

Ah well, can’t really say that video impressed me anyway, time will tell I suppose.

6. JonFitt says:

He’s right you know.

Also, I can’t hear “driving me nuts” without thinking of the pirate joke.

7. Smee says:

Well, at least they get points for using the guitar riff from Karoshi Suicide Saleryman: http://www.venbrux.com/

8. Wulf says:

@Bhazor: Derogatory gay jokes, how could you?

Now from what I’ve observed, Britain has become forward thinking enough to leave that behind. I haven’t heard someone make a genuine gay sleight in years. Maybe it’s just Wales, I don’t know, but I’d like to think that the whole of Britain is fair-thinking towards minorities.

Now this presents me with two thoughts: You’ve either been dropped on your head too many times as a baby, and you haven’t caught up with everyone else yet, or you’re from some place else, apparently a place that’s apparently far less open-minded and fair than what I’m used to.

That’s the kind of thing that really drags the public appearance of a place down too, what’re you trying to do, make RPS look like XBox Live? As I said, how could you? Poorly played indeed.

9. LionsPhil says:

Did I just fall through a time vortex into the ’90s?

Because, if so, I need to go buy a few million copies of everything Looking Glass have released. Just checking.

10. noom says:

Gah. Thankyou for reminding me of my massive crush on Jemina Pearl Abegg. Now I am sad.

*edit*
    @Wulf

Much as I really don’t want to be involved in kicking off some interwebs argument, this idea that using gay as a pejorative term is offensive to gay people is infuriatingly short-sighted. Choosing to ignore the difference between a slant on gayness, and an ironic slant on homophobia, is in my experience usually just self-serving and self-righteous, or on rarer occasions just genuinely stupid.

I, for one, am going to continue calling things gay, as well as making frequent racial slurs, referring to children as c***s, and insinuating that women are inferior to men. I think perhaps you just don’t understand British humour…

(though it has just occurred to me that you may be joking too… >_> )

11. Michael Rose says:

I still have both Be Your Own Pet albums on my mp3 player and listen to them frequently. The death of both their… ‘alternative rock’ plus Test Icicles a couple of years back saddened me deeply.

I mean, need crazy in my guitar music.

12. Eli says:

I for one prefer the mysteriously cropped screen-shot.

@Michael Rose: Yes, these things have saddened me as well. I think we could all use a bit of crazy in some tracks now and then.

13. dingo says:

I just checked the German website of the team and they mean “Jugendfrei” which means “E” (Everyone) if you use the ESRP equivalent as rating.

14. graham says:

Holy Cow, this game looks dreadful.
    I’m all for puzzle adventures but this one will be at the bottom self of the PC game section in a supermarket or better still in those special stands in supermarkets that sell ‘my magical horse simulator’ or some dodgy train management clone for 4.99.
    bugger me, they should quit now.

Comment on this story