Sniper Spy Update Day 4

By John Walker on May 15th, 2009 at 9:56 pm.

Surprise.

So it was all true. The Sniper update for TF2 has indeed been infiltrated by the Spy, Valve’s URL for the new content now changed to “/spyupdate”, the “/sniperupdate” address now gone. What on Earth does it all mean?

Well, first of all the first three pages of Sniper update info are still there, so it’s safe to assume he’ll still be seeing his new bits and pieces come Tuesday. But it seems the Spy is now joining him, with his first two updates revealed today.

First there’s the Dead Ringer Spy Watch, a brand new golden pocket watch. As many speculated last night, this is a device designed to create a ‘feign death’ move. Activated once the Spy has received a non-critical hit, he cloaks for up to eight seconds, while a fake corpse collapses to the ground.

Then there’s the Cloak And Dagger Spy Watch, a regenerating cloak device. Stand still and it will refill your power gauge, only draining when you move.

These are the two items selected from the Spy’s Dapper Rogue Catalogue, “Catalogue for the Gentleman Rogue”. Others featured include a suit made of macrofilm and a ski mask grappling hook. Of all those mentioned, perhaps the only other realistic option might be the flamethrower lighter.

So yes, everyone who saw the Spy’s incredibly occasional appearances behind the Sniper on yesterday’s update, and then made the intuitive leap to believe this some sort of elaborate Spy-based stunt revealing a secret Spy update… good grief, your paranoid lunacy was right for once. Surely endorsement like this cannot be productive. But did the Spy write the postcard? Are there lies within the lies? Are the secrets to the truth behind the Mayan codes in the source of the update site? Only more feverish speculation can decide.

Update: Kudos to DF7 for his grabbing this from the TF2 front page earlier, with the slip (?) reference to the Pyro being a girl.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Wallace_a says:

Zut alors!

2. Mike says:

I never did believe it was the Sniper update, anyway.

3. Nimic says:

So there’s no Sniperupdate at all? I figured they could do both at the same time, but with there being no sign of an actual sniper update in the last one, it’s probably just the spy.

Interesting stuff, though. I’m a fairly good spy, though its far from my best (or most played) class.

4. Psychopomp says:

Gentlefops

5. Dick Nickerson says:

No, the Sniper is still getting that gear.

6. DF7 says:

And did you catch the reference to the pyro as a she? Myth: CONFIRMED

7. WeakLemonDrink says:

Surely they’re not fucking off the Sniper update after giving so muh info on his replacement weapons? That would be really stupid.

8. FunkyLlama says:

I think the Baccarat detector may be OP >_>

9. M_the_C says:

The ‘she’ll’ reference has now changed, didn’t see it myself so can’t even guarantee it was ever there.

10. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

And this, for only $0.47:

Crab-walking Kit
    It will change your skeleton! Excruciatingly painful but worth it.

:D

11. Nick says:

“Myth: CONFIRMED”

Or they said that because of all the stupid hubbub over it.

12. Po0py says:

I don’t get it. Am I dumb?

13. Psy says:

The Sniper update still exists. I’m so glad that they’re gearing the Spy too. :)

14. Mman says:

DF7: They changed the front page to remove the reference to the Pyro being a She. My guess is that we are going to get a meet the Pyro video.

Personally I hope the Pyro is an automaton.

15. Shadowmancer says:

I loled its a dual update folks to stop teams of only snipers or only spies form ruining games, valve said ages ago they were doing a dual update as it was unfair of achievement whores ruining the game for everyone.

16. Sideath says:

If they did meet the pyro and pyro is a girl my LIFE is COMPLETE

17. zak canard says:

Top shelf, but Spy already has the crab walking kit. Perhaps the flame thrower cigarette lighter’s the now standard taunt kill.

18. DF7 says:

I saw it with my own eyes. And with a screen grabber! linky

19. CommanderZx2 says:

I have a screencap of them referring to the pyro as “she”:

20. Shadowmancer says:

I hope they make the pyro ambiguous thats the whole point about the character bit like the joker in batman.

21. Theory says:

Hang on – BOTH of those unlocks are watches. Does that mean no knife unlock?

Also, “she’ll” has been preserved on Google Reader.

22. Shadowmancer says:

If you look on the page source it says “Spy sappin’ mah update” I loled again.

23. Psychopomp says:

They’re probably not done yet, Theory

24. Malibu Stacey says:

Question is which weapon does the dead ringer replace? My guess is the sapper.

Any idea how many “days” of updates left?

25. Nuyan says:

Hahah, that pyro joke is awesome. Good stuff.

I’m a bit unsure if I like it that Valve is changing my favorite class. Two weapons left to be disclosed, one for both the sniper and spy. Plus hopefully some good video.

26. Naurgul says:

It wasn’t all that paranoid, when you think about it. Valve freaking said they weren’t updating sniper on his own and a lot of people have enough memory to remember that.

27. Doctor_Hellsturm says:

I just love them for having such good humor, plain funny those people at Valve. We are indeed amused.

28. Larington says:

Makes sense to put the spy and sniper updates in together, it’ll disperse the “zomg everyone jump on class x” fever that happens with an update into two classes instead of one. And since they are counters to eachother anyway…

29. BooleanBob says:

Intriguing. My FPS rate is atrocious on TF2, so I long ago altered my config files to stop ragdolls (corpses of any kind, in fact) from rendering. I wonder how Valve intend to resolve this. I dare say not well from my poor old GPU’s perspective.

The Pyro reference was obviously bait. Let’s not get carried away here folks.

30. Shadowmancer says:

@ Malibu Stacey
    It could be 2 updates for one slot.

31. Zyrxil says:

I feel it’s possible they’re both non-weapon replacements; alternate versions of the cloak that allow a disguise centered playstyle or a …standing still based playstyle.

32. xt0rt says:

I’m going to jump on the butthurt wagon along with others who have been posting this past week…

Time to find a new shooter.

33. Colby says:

The pyro reference was a she, it went out on an RSS feed that automatically gets posted the Circle X Forums. So they changed it after the fact.

34. Shadowmancer says:

Its probably a joke anyway as last night someone did photoshop the spy behind the sniper.

35. Dr Lulz says:

I have to say that my brain hurts due to the epicness of this update.

(I was one of the few who actually kept on denying that this would be a Spy update, but the guys on the forums have been nattering on about it for so long, so it only made sense for Valve to deliver)

36. Krondonian says:

It’ll be a great time to finally pick up the Scout achievements, as they’re the hardest to Snipe, and too fast to backstab.

Can’t wait for all this though.

37. xt0rt says:

Dr. Lulz:

Epicness, yes. Epic fail.

38. Mister Adequate says:

Top shelf!

39. mrrobsa says:

More brilliant work from Valve. The only downside in my opinion is that I may not get to see an all-sniper team, or all-spy team go head to head. One of the things I look forward to is the hilarity of single-class teams. 12vs12 Scout teams were a riot!

40. Rosti says:

I like that Valve have attended the Popcap school of punning weaponry – this makes my day more pleasant.

Dead ringer indeed.

41. yutt says:

@BooleanBob

How is that even possible? My PC is 5+ years old and was a budget gamer rig then. TF2 runs perfectly. You might try verifying your cache/defrag/update vid drivers/lower vid driver settings, etc.

On topic: As some have said, updating two classes, especially counter classes, at the same time is a much better route.

42. Hulk Hogan says:

YES! THE PYRO IS A SHE! I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG! HULK HOGAN’S HULKSENSE WAS TINGLING, BROTHER!

43. Valkyrie says:

Also note the date has changed on the blog front page, too. It’s coming Thursday, not Tuesday, so there’s still a lot more to unveil.

44. Sideath says:

Although they’ve changed the main post, all the sites and functions that take a direct RSS of the site (such as the facebook fansite http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/TeamFortress2?ref=ts) still has the original post where the pyro is (hinted) at being a she. However, you have to take everything into context of the whole paragraph.

45. Cymril says:

I’m pretty sure there’s going to be two more unlocks for the spy. I don’t think the fact that there’s two watches precludes the fact that the one or even any of them are replacing a weapon.

Remember the completely unused backpack they just added? Yeah…

46. PleasingFungus says:

There is nothing in this update that does not fill me with joy.

(Very, very curious detail: the Baccarat-detecting engine (!), which claims an effective range of 200 miles, has on its readout ’469.237 KM’. Which is nearly 300 miles.

Clearly, this out-of-place number is the KEY TO ALL MYSTERIES. Use it in your favourite conspiracy theory! Decrypt it as a cypher! It’s only appropriate, after all. It’s the Spy update!)

47. Shadowmancer says:

I hope they don’t let the community choose which watch is the alternative watch.

48. Mad Doc MacRae says: