The RPS Bargain Bucket: Guns, Gromit, Ghandi

By RPS on May 16th, 2009 at 6:34 pm.

Another round up of luvverly gaming deals that are gentle upon that becredit-crunched wallet of yours, courtesy, as always, of Savygamer‘s duke of denarii LewieP. Big games! Big savings! Big, er, dogs, or something.

Call of Duty: World at War – £14.99/€24.99/$24.99
Probably the best COD game since COD4. Still, CODWAW is not really that good. If you enjoyed COD4, but thought “This would be much more fun if it had worse level design, more invisible walls, and more transparent, cheap, game mechanics”, it’s probably right up your street. Some of the weapons sound very good though, and the multiplayer is insanely popular. Here’s my full review.

Elven Legacy – £12.50/$14.95
Somehow Ino Co seem to end up on pretty much every Bargain Bucket. Good for them. This is a turn based strategy affair, and is the sequel to Fantasy Wars. It’s not even been out all that long, kind of surprising to see it so heavily discounted so soon, but we might as well take advantage of it! Demo here.

Telltale games for cheap!
I couldn’t pick just one, so I am listing all of them. Telltale games are 5 years old, and to celebrate, they are selling their games for cheap. Oddly enough, they have also chosen to let Steam undercut buying from them directly. If you want to buy these full seasons, Steam is the cheapest place:
Sam & Max: Season One – £8.49/€14.99/$14.99
Sam & Max: Season Two – £9.49/€17.49/$17.49
Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People: Season One – £9.49/€17.49/$17.49
However, if you want to buy individual episodes, or the Wallace and Gromit or Bone games, you want to head to their website, and use the coupon “247-6LE-8JW-H9Y”. Comes to $5 an episode.

Civilization IV: The Complete Edition – £22.49/€35.99/$35.99
Despite being slightly cheaper for UK gamers to buy this retail, it’s still a cracking deal on Steam. There has been two “Complete Editions” of Civ4 released, one complete, one incomplete. This is the former, and includes Warlords, Beyond the Sword and Colonization. That’s a hell of a lot of game for your money. Nice one Sid. Demo here.

Deal of the Week
Lost Empire: Immortals – £1.99/€1.99/$1.99
I really do like it when you can buy games for less than a Pint. Jim fairly limply suggested looking at the demo back when it came out, and I can’t really offer a more concrete recommendation that that, my copy is downloading as I write this. It is a Space 4X game, and it is from Denmark. Of the top of my head I don’t think I have played any other Danish games, so this is a first for me. I will try to post impressions in the comments before the offer has ended. Trailer looks neat. Demo here.

__________________

« | »

1. bitkari says:

One of these days, I’d really love someone to do a round-up of all of these online distributors.

I’ve had great experiences (Steam) and God-awful experiences (Direct2Drive).

Before I shell out cash in another delivery system, it would be nice to know which are worth using, and which should be kept well away from!

2. Erlend M says:

Of the top of my head I don’t think I have played any other Danish games

Played any of the Hitman games? Those are made by a Danish company, IO Interactive. The same company also made Kane & Lynch.

3. jalf says:

Of the top of my head I don’t think I have played any other Danish games

Ever heard of a chap called 47?
    Hitman, Kane & Lynch and Freedom Fighters are all made by IO Interactive, based in Denmark.

Deadline Games are here too, but they’re mostly noteworthy for a few almost-hits (Chili con Carnage and Total Overdose come to mind as typical. They *almost* got people’s attention, but not quite. They made that crappy Watchmen game too)

Anyway, hard to argue against the Lost Empire price tag. :)
    Shame the company already went under afaik. I met a couple of them a few years back, seemed like cool people.

4. Vinraith says:

@bitkari

Each online system is reviewed in some depth here:

Look at “Digital Downloads & In Game Ads Explained” in the left-hand column and choose the service you’d like to read about.

As for me, I picked up Elven Legacy and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance ($10) on sale on Gamersgate, and finally cracked and bought Plants vs. Zombies on Steam (not on sale, but so cheap it doesn’t actually matter). I’m still waffling on the Telltale games. I’ve been wanting to pick up all of those, but they still seem a little steep by the standards of $5-$10 games I’m been getting from sales lately. I think all these great deals are turning me stingy…

5. Pizen says:

Shush about Kane & Lynch! … And the Danish company in question is IO Interactive. They used to be 100% Danish around the development of the first (and possibly the second) Hitman game.

The recent Watchmen game was also made by a Danish company; Deadline Games. I haven’t played that, though.

Oh, and let us not forget the in-development dark platformer Limbo – by the indie (as far as I know) artist and designer Arnt Jensen.

There are probably hundreds more. In closing, I found a list (that seems to be incomplete, yet still fairly bloated) of the productions of Paradox Interactive, producers of Lost Empire.

6. LewieP says:

Ah yes, I have dabbled in the Hitman games, and played a lot of Freedom Fighters.

The demo of the end is nigh was enough to put me off. I don’t remember Rorschach spending most of his time pulling levers in the comics…

Edit: and Limbo certainly looks like it could be good, I’ve been eagerly watching it for quite a long time though.

7. Jason Moyer says:

Something worth pointing out is that the retail version has no DRM. No disc check, no online verification, nothing.

8. jalf says:

Huh? My copy of Civ4 (and Col) have disc checks at startup.

9. Jason Moyer says:

Huh? My copy of Civ4 (and Col) have disc checks at startup.

I’m referring to Civ 4 Complete and not the original retail copies.

Civilization 4 Complete has all 4 titles on 1 DVD and features no copy protection whatsoever.

10. LewieP says:

From what I can tell, the Civ4 complete with all 3 expansions hasn’t had a disc based release in the UK yet, just the USA. The additional deal I linked is for Civ4 complete (without Colonization), and then Colonization separately. Slightly cheaper than Steam at £19.21 delivered.

I think we can all take from this that disc checks are bad, and calling something “Complete” when you have plans for future expansions is also bad.

11. radomaj says:

Don’t know who does it, but I recently found this website helpful:

12. Hrm. says:

S & M season 1 can be had for cheaper through Amazon marketplace retailers.

13. abhishek says:

Slightly weaker deals this week but I went ahead and purchased both seasons of Sam and Max. Strong Bad’s Stupidly Named Game has an impressive Metacritic rating of 80+ but the name itself puts me off. If they were trying to be clever when they gave it this title I’d say they failed miserably.

14. Jason Lefkowitz says:

COD:WAW’s single player component is not great, true. But the multiplayer is terrific. And so is the co-op, if you can find anyone online to play with (the co-op arenas are most often empty, at least in my experience).

If you enjoy playing online then $25 is a pretty good deal for this title.

15. Adam says:

“coupon “247-6LE-8JW-H9Y”.”
    That’s a referal code by the way, and you’re directly contributing to savygamer getting free games if you use it, if you care about that.

16. Reggie says:

What?! How dare he receive compensation for attempting to save us money!

17. LewieP says:

@Adam

Actually, the plan is to use the store credit I get for a giveaway for RPS readers.

Edit: Maybe I should have said that in the post, but I wanted it to be a surprise.

18. Carra says:

Mmm, sam & max season 2. Tempting!

19. jalf says:

@abhishek: Not familiar with Strongbad, are you?
    The game is named as it is because it had to fit the character. It’s not “trying to be funny”, just “trying to be Strongbad”.

I only played a demo of the first episode (I think it was), and it was good fun.

20. Heliocentric says:

Weak week, welp.

Its not your fault LewieP, the internet just doesn’t want my money enough.

Anyone who wants civ col but already has civ 4 complete at retail, col is £10 at game. Still, steam is an attractive vector for games.

21. jalf says:

Which of the games is the referral code for?

22. Riaktion says:

For some reason I have been itching for a copy of supreme commander at the right proce recently, ideally the gold edition for under £10. Not sure why.. I didn’t really enjoy the demo..

23. LewieP says:

@Jalf

Any games bought from Telltales’ store.

24. Vinraith says:

I just have to counter some of the “weak weekend” talk. I thought last weekend was almost totally worthless, this weekend is actually so full of good stuff it’s kind of problematic. I’d ideally like to pick up all the Telltale stuff, Elven Legacy, Supreme Commander, and CoD. I’ve managed to pare it down to Elven Legacy and Sup Com in the name of keeping a little cash in my wallet, but I keep wavering about at least picking up Strong Bad too…

25. Jeremy says:

Wish I hadn’t recently bought Civ IV GOLD. I paid more for less, son of a ….

26. Xocrates says:

“use the coupon “247-6LE-8JW-H9Y””

Oi! What’s with using your widely popular blog to publicize your coupon :(

I kid! I kid! But if anyone wants another one, feel free to use mine: 8JZ-HDY-4NW-MS7

27. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’d recommend the Wallace & Gromit episodes; I’ve played the first through, and am partway through the second (none others have been released just yet). They’re cute, charming, and funny. Try the demo if you’re uncertain, but they do a very good job of capturing the appeal of Wallace & Gromit. The 1.5 episodes so far have been more consistently entertaining for me than any of the Sam & Max episode.

28. Nahkatakkimies says:

FFFFFUUUUUUU-

Why the €uro prices are so expensive? >%E~~

29. undead dolphin hacker says:

I’ve heard Elven Legacy may as well be a puzzle game in the sense that every map is extremely rigid in how to “properly” solve it.

The fact I used the word “solve” and “map” instead of “beat” and “mission” is probably a subconscious clue too.

30. bansama says:

Don’t know who does it, but I recently found this website helpful:

That would be me =) And it’s nice to hear that it’s being useful to some. I also hope to make it a lot more useful in the near future. I just need to find the time to do the necessary coding.

31. mcw says:

I thought I’d throw my Telltale code in the mix for those interested. (Delete comment if inappropriate)

PHE-GAV-T76-SRL

32. Kyven says:

Telltale is also giving away copies of Telltale Texas Hold’em if you fill out a survey:

33. dadioflex says:

FWIW Lost Empire Immortals has probably found its proper price point. If you’re buying it and haven’t already got Gal Civ 2, or Space Empires 4 (not 5!) then you’re mis-spending your money. It had some great ideas but unfortunately they broke up before fixing the game.

Incidentally – the S&M and SB packages from Telltale are cheap, ridiculously cheap, but can anyone offer an analysis of whether it’d still be better to buy the Telltale Everything pack for £38 quid?

The question is whether the two Bone games and Texas Hold’Em is worth an extra tenner (and that may as well be just the two Bone games if they’re giving away the poker game on their website.)

I’ve been keeping an eye on Telltale Everything for a while. (And Complete Popcap – £53 quid… so tempting. That’s the price of two full priced games for thirty games, including the Peggles, Bookworms, PvsZ, Bejeweleds, Insaniquarium etc etc) but the trouble is the longer I leave it the more they add. It’s like waiting to upgrade hardware. You give up the immediate advantage to get better value in the future.

Incidentally I already have the Peggles from that sale a while back. If I buy the Complete Popcap collection will I be able to gift them, the way I could with the Orange Box games I already had?

34. bansama says:

No. Sadly Valve still haven’t seen fit to allow gifting of any other games other than the few attached to the OB (and then not all of those either).

35. dadioflex says:

Well that sucks, but thanks for letting me know!

36. MeestaNob! says:

CoDWOW worth the money? I was kind of thinking of playing the single player only to be honest.

37. Bonedancer says:

MeestaNob! – Kinda depends how much you liked CoD4. It feels similar in terms of movement, though obviously with different and obviously more primitive weapons. It’s not nearly as well designed, and you notice the restrictions a lot more. There’s one part in one of the later Berlin levels where you literally can’t proceed until something happens, but the trigger for the action seems pretty random and you can just spend ages getting shot up by infinite enemy reinforcements. Some people have complained about the Japanese bayonet charges, but to be honest I found them easier to spot and easier to counter once they’d grabbed me than the attack dogs in CoD4.

It is quite pretty and I’ve played it through a couple of times and don’t feel like the time was stolen from me. At that price, for me, it’s probably worth it. YMMV.

38. Vinraith says:

I hope it’s helpful, FWIW their reviews match my experiences with those services I’ve used (Steam, Gamersgate, Impulse) quite well.

Comment on this story