Going Underground: Hellish Lemmings Desktop

By Kieron Gillen on May 18th, 2009 at 12:30 pm.

I used to have a girlfriend who found me sexually alluring as I looked a little like a Lemming. This was the early nineties and Stafford, I stress.

This was going around at the weekend, but (I think) Darrt forwarded it to me, so gets the heads up (or maybe it was Poisoned Sponge. Man!). A gentlemen of the internet has been doing some painted-style images of old 8-bit games. And as lovely as they are, he’s been keeping his attention to Games Without Mice And Keyboards. There’s an exception though: his fantastically murky image of Lemmings, as if they’d marched (in a large blob) out of Dante. Abandon All Hope Of Blockers Ye Who Enter Here.

, .

1. Optimaximal says:

Lemmings is a game that so needs a Street Fighter IV style makeover – no change in the mechanics but oh-so-lovely Braid/Pop Cap-style graphics.

The Street Fighter 2 one is mint, although the aforementioned SF4 makes it sorta redundant :)

2. Owen says:

So did she get you to do the voice too? For example, “Let’s go!” before the…y’know….’action’ started?

3. James G says:

This has been my desktop background since Saturday, absolutely lovely. More actual games should look this good.

4. Chris Evans says:

Lemmings, how I love that game and those little critters. That picture is now my desktop background! It was Dartt who originally made me aware of this stuff :)

5. Bobsy says:

I would love for someone to remake Lemmings to look like this. Come on, Rockstar can’t be THAT busy at the moment, surely?

Also, going to get my pedant-nerd hat on: that appears to be an artistic rendering of the very first Lemmings level “Just Dig!”, although the artist has them using MINERS rather than DIGGERS.

Also, there’s a floater coming out of the entrance.

6. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Dartt found it, I forwarded it. But yeah, it makes for an amazing desktop, so long as you don’t have it cluttered with icons. Sheds a whole new light on Lemmings.

7. mrmud says:

The Zelda one is probably my favourite but I would love it if more PC style games were featured.

8. dartt says:

I’ve got the whole gallery on rotation, they are all beautiful and very nostalgic. Lemmings and Zelda are my favourites :)

9. MeestaNob! says:

The Mario one is my background. It’s gorgeous.

10. Hmm-hmm. says:

Pweeeety pictuwes!

*cough*

11. Mo says:

Gorgeous. While browsing, I was thinking about how I’d write the render code to draw all of that and maintain the lighting effects, and my head exploded. :)

12. El_MUERkO says:

new desktop :D

13. CakeAddict says:

I’m suddenly in the mood for some lemmings after seeing that.
    Been awhile since I’ve played anything like it. Hmm..

14. Iain "DDude" Dawson says:

This is why I love reading RPS – ‘cos they find these kinda simply amazing things and point me towards them.

My favourite is the one based on Mario World. It is now my desktop. That sentence does not seem to do it justice.

15. Rich_P says:

Awesome. Bullet Bill has never looked so sexy :D

16. Rei Onryou says:

I find the image’s alt text both disturbing and sexually alluring.

O.o

17. noom says:

This is so utterly delightful. It’s no exageration for me to say that Lemmings if one my favourite games of all time so my love for this is vast. Definitely gonna go on rotation in mah Linux install at least <3

DarkNoghri says:

Quite nice. I had his Megaman one up for the longest time. It was replaced by Wall-E, which has now been replaced by this.

19. The Hammer says:

Man, this guy’s Deviantart page is just a hive of loveliness. Currently using the Ecco the Dolphin background. Yum.