Act Surprised: Official HD Meet The Spy

By John Walker on May 19th, 2009 at 12:26 am.

Aw.

Just a quick note to say the official version of Meet The Spy is now available on Valve’s Spy Update pages, and available to download in HD via Steam. There’s also the traditional unveiling of the achievement names, with their descriptions to be added tomorrow. Also, kudos to Valve for their good humour over the weekend’s accidental early leaking of the video via YouTube, with the bonus achievement shown above.

, , , .

1. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

So. Does this mean that the entire time, Red Spy was disguised as his own son?

2. Vinraith says:

@mgl

It is a hell of a piece of animation isn’t it? I don’t see how anyone could argue against that.

3. Tenorek says:

I think this video is the best because it balance the funny parts with a bit of good action. It seems the spy is the only one who takes his job seriously,lol. Another funny part is the engineer just admiring his lvl 3 sentry. If he’s anything like me, it got sapped just after getting it to lvl 3.

4. Duke Nasty VI says:

Take a look at the package the sniper has received, but not opened up yet. “URGENT”, indeed. This is probably my favorite meet the team video so far. The cinematography is very good

5. DarkNoghri says:

@Wulf

Pull open the download page for the ‘Meet the Demoman’ and read his character description. :D

As an engineer, I can definitely see where all those grad students got their favorites from. But honestly, I think this one may have topped it for me. Just the cinematic awesomeness of the character, mingled with humor (Alarm-o-tron 5000?), plus the great strides that Valve has made in animation make this a great one for me.

That and I was totally thinking the same thing the BLU soldier was.

Thinking back, though, my first impression was that the scout was the spy and the soldier was gonna get backstabbed in front of the door, but that went out the window once the heavy showed up.

6. Yargh says:

Some of the achievement names are ver very good.

7. Optimaximal says:

I originally twigged that it could be the Scout when he spun ‘his’ butterfly knife around but wasn’t hurt when it hit his fingers – He feigned pain, but there was no blood.

Still, I then expected the Spy to change colours and start stabbing 3 slack-jawed gawpers.

8. Jahkaivah says:

I know I shouldn’t be analysing the boards actual use, but they’ve got “red spy” on there twice and not a single “is a spy”, “has briefcase” or “sentry down” which I would imagine be very useful.

@Psychopomp

WHY DID SHE EAT THAT GRAPE??????

9. Rei Onryou says:

I’m surprised. No really. This Meet The … was awesome and I don’t know why some people dislike it.

Also, the Demoman video is the best. “I’m a black Scottish cylcops. They got more £$£$% $%^*&^% £$% £$%^ $£%£ %^ $^$%£ than they got the likes of me.”

10. Overwatch_UA says:

@mgl
    Heh, you noticed Kate Archerish appearance too? No surprise here — Kate’s the hottest and most sophisticated lady in the biz =) They’re meant for each other!

And yes, it’s a little bit unexpected how Valve grows in their various “cinematic” skills. We just never thought they’re going that way.
    If they progress at this rate, we could see some really mind-blowing stuff in the future. I’m even afraid to imagine what that would be.

11. gulag says:

Well, that was nice.

As ‘Meet The…’ vids go, it’s a marked departure in tone and structure. While the rest are mostly ‘to camera’ pieces, this is more ‘fly on the wall’, much less jocular, but packed with a wry humour, quite befitting of the Spy, who always stands apart as a loner in a team game.

I imagine part of this is an effort by Valve to guage public tastes for longer pieces, focusing on a story set in the game world, in the vein of Red Vs. Blue. I’d buy it.

My 2 Cents – Meet The Sniper was the ‘best’ one so far, with Soldier a close second.

12. Paradukes says:

Well did you notice that just about in between the two “Red Spy” panels, there’s a “Has an Evil Twin” panel? Probably coincidental, but there you go…

13. Nimic says:

I think this was my favourite. It didn’t make me laugh as much as some of the others, perhaps, but the overall theme of it was great.

And I have to say, after the last Class Update’s crushing disappointment, this one has started off quite well. I think it might even make up for it, and more.

14. Polya says:

Red Spy murdering the sniper was downright nasty, as were the sweet moves with the medic.
    @Dorian Cornelius Jasper
    Just occurred to me. Now that’s just messed up, even without the idea of the scout being his son.

Anyone think the scout’s mother could be the announcer?

15. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

“Nein!” – classic

16. Fazer says:

You really should write about Robin Walker’s firing spree – http://www.tf2.com

17. Wilson says:

I like the bit on the title panel at the bottom where it has:
    COPYRIGHT LOLOLOL
    A Valve Picture

18. Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

I think it is the quality of the animation that really stood out for me with this one. It looked good in the leaked YouTube version, but in HD it just looks stunning.

I think this is also the first of the Meet the… videos that actually has a real story going on, which really stands it apart and could be where some people are less interested in it. The humour isn’t just random one liners that look funny by themselves, but require the background of the characters and the story to fully appreciate. Perhaps some experience with playing the classes wouldn’t hurt as well.

This, as well as the Sniper video, really show that some people in Valve have a real talent for this.

A TF2 film anyone?

19. Spliter says:

My 2 cents:
    Spy is one the most complicated class of all. Playing with other’s minds, pretending to be someone else until they feel safe, and sneaking around like a tarantula ready to leap at an unsuspecting prey.
    I think the reason they put less funny stuff about the spy himself was this: so far every video showed the nature of the class, but most of them are funny/cheery by nature, spy on the other hand is more of a professional that takes his job seriously.
    Also: the “one one one…uh….. One!” joke cracked me up XD
    Also2: why did they change the two “Intruder Alert” at the beginning into one? I liked it that way…

20. LionsPhil says:

This video wins by virtue of having a GENTLEMEN reference. That is all.

(Note that Meet The Sniper also wins for the Pure Pwnage reference. Boom, headshot indeed.)

As for the “his own mother”—he’s impersonating the scout, you fools. Why would his real mother be also impersonating the scout’s mother? She’s not a spy. Probably.

(…I guess that wasn’t all.)

21. Tei says:

“This video wins by virtue of having a GENTLEMEN reference. That is all.”

Yea. But, is references to memes something that add or remove value from a original creation? I think it raise the quality of a “mashup” like the uncyclopedia. But for a dramatization of a videogame?

The spytech world is supposed to be the “clean world of iconic’s”. Where a phone as the shape of a phone icon, a box of ammo look like a box of ammo, a car will look like the icon of a car, ….. thats probably why is soo apealing. It shows that the icons are “right”. Our dayly life teach us that today phones look nothing like the phone icon
    ( like this: http://orquestasms.com/imagenes/phone.jpg), and this is a unpleasant surprise for our poor brain. Phones don’t look like phones in real life.

Memes are a culture product of the “post-modernism iconclast internet culture” It breaks my inmersion.
    Memes are not clean. There are like a zillion of then, and If you are not much “into” then, you can’t get then. Are probablly the nemesys of what the spytech world suppose.

22. Vanderdecken says:

Oh dear, a bunch of computer geeks debating the compatibility of people’s sense of humour. I fear the epitome of the RPS comments ecology has been reached.

Also, vid made me lol. Note that another entry on the signboard simply says “SMELLS”. http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8145/112a3pu.png

23. Stupoider says:

You got something against computer geeks, Vanderdecken? :(

24. Serondal says:

I think one thing that would make the spy FAR more effective is friednly fire. I dunno if every single server I ever played on just disabled it or if it isn’t even an option or what, but FF would make a spy a LOT more effective.

When I do play TF2, which isn’t often, I just shoot everyone that I see even people on my team just incase they’re a spy:P As I normally play as a pyro if they catch on fire I know they’re a spy and finish them off. I wouldn’t go around doing that if I could actually hurt my team mates.

25. Psychopomp says:

There is a FF option, it’s of by default because almost every weapon in TF2 has a spray/splash; in addition to griefing.
    As for the fire thing, when FF is on, fire still down not harm teammates.

26. Serondal says:

I wouldn’t know Psychopomp as I’ve never seen a server with FF On for TF 2 :P So I guess that means the Pyro is the natural enemy of the spy if the pyro has any common sense or roleplays a true pyro

27. Calabi says:

I was on a server with FF on once, it was a rain of death………no one should ever have to witness such horrors.

28. Funky Badger says:

There’s also a Doom sight-gag, down Sacha (diminutive of Alexander?) when the Heavy smashes the door.

29. argh says:

Delete me

30. Ryan says:

Hey Wulf! From the Meet the Demoman page on Steam:

A fierce temper, a fascination with all things explosive, and a terrible plan to kill the Loch Ness Monster cost the six year old Demoman his original set of adoptive parents. Later, back at the Crypt Grammar School for Orphans near Ullapool in the Scottish Highlands, the boy’s bomb-making skills improved dramatically. His disposition and total number of intact eyeballs, however, did not.

31. Ryan says:

Jarate is on the board!

32. RodeoClown says:

The Ambassador is out.

Pistol with sniper accuracy, increased time between shots.

Mmmmm…

33. Bursar says:

Does ‘sniper accuracy’ imply headshot crits and increased damage?

I thought the standard pistol was pretty accurate anyway.

34. Jon Kristinsson says:

One of my favorite line, which hasn’t been mentioned is the Soldier’s:

“And a knife!” after the Spy’s “We have a problem.” Could have been awfully unfunny, hadn’t it been for the perfect timing and the off-camera delivery.

35. besttrendsshop says:

It was a very nice idea! Just wanna say thank you for the information you have shared. Just continue writing this kind of post. I will be your loyal reader. Thanks again.

ugg black boot