Aliens vs Predator Resurrection

By Alec Meer on May 20th, 2009 at 5:10 pm.

Okay, most folk have known about this for a little while already, but today’s the day official word and oh-gawd-so-pretty pictures spill into the public domain. It’s Aliens! It’s Predators! It’s by Rebellion, creators of the still-splendid original AvP game! Admittedly, Rebellion have been churning out rubbish for the last couple of years, but I’m quite sure that, with this, they intend to reclaim their crown as one of the most accomplished FPS developers in all the world. Y’know what this is? This is redemption. Information, pictures and frothing follows.

Bigger pictures may be summoned by dancing widdershins three times around your nearest cathedral, or alternatively by clicking upon these smaller images.

Without having seen anything of it first-hand, I shall fall to the press release for the bulk of the details. As you’d expect, though (based on the first two AvP games), it’s a three-way argy-bargy between Xenos, Preds and Colonial Marines – so no worrying that it’s the tedious settings of the AvP movies. This is very much its own, back-to-basics thing. Each species gets its own campaign, and is playable in multiplayer. Head-chomping and flesh-removal, please.

Interestingly, the press release notes that this is the first in Sega’s ‘series’ of Aliens-related games, which throws up yet more few questions about Gearbox’s team-based FPS Aliens: Colonial Marines. AvP is due in 2010, but it seems like madness to release another Aliens FPS in the same year. So is ACM coming in 2011, or has it been canned while Gearbox knuckle down to get Borderlands right? Rumours have swirled for a while that ACM is as dead as Newt, but Gearbox have claimed otherwise. The planned Aliens RPG from Obsidian, meanwhile, does seem a slightly more certain casualty. Boo. Just come right out and tell us, Sega. It’s the only way to be sure.

Regardless: I am very, very excited for this puppy. AvP – especially its increditastic skirmish mode – has long been one my favourite FPSes. The idea of it getting a modern do-ever has me all a-tremble. Cinemaland may have been terribly cruel to Aliens and Predators of late, but in games they might yet find glory anew.

No serious footage yet, but the following teaser trailer gives a very brief hint of what to expect in motion. Mostly though, it’s a very slow look at a logo. Yeah, nothing gets the blood pumping like staring at at a couple of fonts. Presumably we can expect a torrent of halfway useful videos come E3, though.

And from the corporate horse’s mouth:

LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO (May 20, 2009) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today reveal details of the much anticipated FPS action horror game, Aliens vs. Predator™ (working title). It will be the first title to be launched in SEGA’s forthcoming series of Aliens games licensed by Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising (Fox Licensing).

Developed at Rebellion by the team responsible for the original 1999 classic, in the all-new Aliens vs. Predator players will have the chance to take the role of the three infamous species; the Colonial Marine, the Predator and the Alien. Each of the three species has its very own distinct story-driven single-player campaign mode that interweaves with the campaigns of the other two species. Aliens vs. Predator will also feature unique 3-way online multiplayer, allowing gamers to pit the three species against each other in the ultimate battle for survival and for the right to be crowned the deadliest species.

On planet BG-386 a colonist mining group discovers an ancient pyramid containing a dark and horrible secret. Across the stars a race of warriors is alerted to the discovery of their pyramid and a hunting party is dispatched to ensure that it remains sealed at all costs, whilst deep inside the ruined pyramid a malevolent intelligence awakes from centuries of dormancy.

The Marine’s story is an incredible fight against the odds, and the horrors lurking in the dark. Beset on all sides yet armed to the teeth, the Colonial Marine represents humanity’s last stand with the firepower to fight back.

As the Alien, players will discover what it’s like to be the most murderous and lethal creature in the universe, with the ability to traverse any surface with awesome agility in order to get close enough to unleash its deadly teeth and claws.

A master of the hunt, the Predator grants the player a suite of exotic weaponry and equipment with which to stalk its unknowing prey. Earn the greatest honour by ambushing prey up-close and butchering them for a gory trophy kill.

“The original Aliens vs. Predator game was a landmark title for Rebellion, and we are both proud and excited to be revisiting the license with SEGA and Fox L&M. Our new technology will enable us to produce a truly terrifying and visceral experience,” said Jason Kingsley, CEO and Creative Director at Rebellion.

“Aliens vs. Predator is a powerful franchise for Fox and provides endless possibilities in the interactive space,” said Gary Rosenfeld, Senior Vice President, New Media for Fox Licensing. “SEGA and Rebellion have created an excellent gaming experience that will help this legacy live on.”

Aliens vs. Predator is set to be released on Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Windows-based PC in early 2010.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Rook says:

One good FPS is enough to get you a crown these days?

2. The_B says:

I’ve got to take a leaf out of the PR people’s books and start revealing my words….

very….

…slowly.

3. TentSalesman says:

Hell YES.

AvP skirmish mode, *still* the best Co-Op experience I’ve ever had.

4. Dominic White says:

Rebellion are the most consistently inconsistent studio I know of. For every Aliens Vs Predator, Rogue Trooper or Sniper Elite they produce, they churn out two Shellshock 2’s or Judge Dredds.

We may as well toss a coin right here and now, because that’ll probably be a better indication as to whether the game will be great or crap than anything we see here.

5. PeopleLikeFrank says:

Yay!

Nomnom jarhead Brains.

Mmmm, the first was so grand for the SP, while the second had great multiplayer. Here’s hoping they manage to marry the two in this one.

6. toni says:

sound like they just copied the pressrelease from AvP1+2.
    but anyhow I DARE THEM to release a game AS HARD as AvP was nowadays. Is not going to happen. Let’s hope for difficulty settings (plz)

7. Dominic White says:

I loved the way the original AvP handled difficulty levels. As you raise difficulty, the levels get longer, have more objectives, more enemies, and you get fewer quicksaves. Beating a level on the highest difficulty was hugely satisfying, as you actually felt you had achieved something of note.

It was a system heavily inspired by Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, but those are pretty good games to crib difficulty scaling mechanics from.

8. Lorc says:

Oh my – that motion sensor sound touches something deep in my lizard-brain. “Danger, unsafe, look around you, hide, flee!”

9. jonfitt says:

After producing a lot of tosh for a while I’m going to personally determine if the original AvP was just a fluke or Rebellion can actually produce a good game based on this.

It will be doubly interesting because the original AvP was nothing like your modern fps, but AvP2 was. Will we see a game that has any resemblance to AvP1 besides setting?

10. Shadowmancer says:

@ Dominic White
    I agree that’s how difficulty levels should be stacked up, coincidentally I loved those 3 games.

11. Pani says:

I’m going for Prey

12. James Brophy says:

Brilliantly judged original game. Magnificent multilayer. Nothing matches it for sheer terror of truly asymetrc combat. Playing co op against bots was never less then excellent. Loved playing it through the first time. You really get a sense that going back for the hard mode meant that you were some how mad to click that option. Never finished the hard mode and barely survived the queen the first time round. But that multi player meant it stayed on my machine for years after it other games had been installed and removed.

Left 4 Dead is the only modern game that gives you this feeling of things just about to overwhelm you. However it lacks the OHJESUFUCKINGCHRISTINABARRELNOOOO surprises.

13. MA6200 says:

Please be awesome! The AvP games were so good.

14. Magnus says:

I really liked both AvP 1+2, but the second has a special place in my heart for the Alien campaign, in which you progressed from one alien form to another.

While they sort out all of this, perhaps they could release the previous two games, say, via Good Old Games?
    (waits for a million people to tell me I could get it from Steam/Gametap/etc., but I don’t care, I only have eyes for GOG.)

15. Stupoider says:

Rebellion has the rights to Evil Genius, right?

WHERE IS MY EVIL GENIUS 2!

16. teo says:

The original PC AvP by Rebellion is one of my favourite games ever. I didn’t even finish the marine campaign until recently because it’s too scary, I think it holds up really well.

I don’t think Rebellion knows how to make good games though. Almost everything they’ve made is crap, and AvP is a really weird game. It doesn’t feel good by design, it feels like they didn’t really know what they were doing and it happened to turn out really well. There’s a junkyness to it that you’d associate with a really bad game

Also, I don’t see anyone making such a hardcore and unforgiving game today. I bet it’s coming out for consoles and there’s no way they’re going to make the aliens as fast as they did in AvP. They were hard to hit with the pulse rifle, and that’s with a mouse! Forget a controller. AvP did the movies justice, but a modern FPS just can’t…

17. Spiny says:

ALL

KINDS

OF

AWESOME!

18. Markoff Chaney says:

AvP the First is still one of my defining Single Player FPS experiences. 3 completely different game plays, and each was original. I’ve been thinking back, and I think it was the first game that actually scared me, proper. That was during my first run through as a Marine, naturally. The second, for some reason, didn’t strike me as well. Here’s to hoping the third is the best.

19. a rob amongst many says:

Dancing widdershins around a cathedral is a bad idea. Do not heed the advice of this man unless you are prepared to slaughter some serious goatherds.

20. Agrajag says:

I had a tail (which, come release of this game I will) I’d wag it in excitement!

21. Fumarole says:

Oh glorious day!

22. Blather Blob says:

These worries about the effects of a console release are making me wonder… Can anyone tell me how much the “first” AvP shared with the earlier, Rebellion-made console version on the Jaguar?

23. MrMud says:

please bring back the aliens rpg instead.

24. Dood says:

I need to see that trailer in HD!

25. ChaosSmurf says:

That trailer is almost as good as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K00DCK1l98

26. DD says:

James Brophy said most of it for me. I have yet to play a game that matches AvP in multiplayer awesome. That game was flawless and the fact that they are pretty much remaking it? Amazing. Looking forward to this scenario again… 1-2 aliens, 1 predator, 5 marines with mini guns all huddled in a circle. Jockey. The best LAN party’s I ever had revolved around this game. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

27. JohnG says:

d’p… d’p…d’p… d’p blip.. d’p blip.. d’p blip blip blip *brown noises*

Man playing the original AvP as marines at night in a dark room was so fricking tense.

28. Ian says:

@ a rob amongst many: Why not cheery goatherds?

29. Nerd Rage says:

Game over man! Game over!

Bill Paxton, the only guy to be killed by both an Alien and a Predator. Also the only guy to wet himself in the presence of Arnold. Dude needs a better agent.

30. Serondal says:

I remember one time I was playing AVP multiplayer with my best mate . He was marine and I was alien. He was in the big room with the dead alien looking into the giant telescope thing from the movie and I was on the ceiling waiting for him. As he was talking to his mother I dropped down and ate his brains to wit he screamed like a 5 year old girl and made his mother pee herself in fear just from his scream alone O.o You can’t BUY memories like that.

31. DarthInsinuate says:

I want a plushie facehugger to keep my nose warm when I’m waiting for the train on a cold winter morning.

32. Rei Onryou says:

Yay for more AvP. Boo for me being too scared to play Marines. Still, being an Alien/Predator always kicks ass.

33. Dominic White says:

It just occured to me that the original AvP (with its randomized aggressive spawn system and crazy pace) had more than a little in common with Left 4 Dead.

AvP3 would be the best thing ever if the game introduced a Versus mode. You could even play it 1v1 – one player being the marine, playing it just like singleplayer, the other guy being randomly picked aliens – being just that little bit sneakier and smarter than the others, but no more powerful.

It’d ruin friendships in minutes, but it would be so very good.

34. Scandalon says:

Blather Bob – The name, from what I remember, but I only got to see someone play it for a minute or two.

More info

35. Dreamhacker says:

I don’t get it: Why is there so much hate towards AvP2? It was a genuinely new FPS experience! And so frightening!

36. Poita says:

Let’s build a camp fire and sing some songs, maybe that’ll help.

This game could rule but please, please, please don’t have a cover system.
    ‘Ooooo let’s have it so they press a button and your character does a swirly, divey, John Woo’ey scoot to a pre programed conveniently highted bit of cover.’ Balls i say.

Nerdrage. Bill paxton was also in Terminator 1. he was one of the three punks that Arnie borrowed his togs from.

37. PC Monster says:

Holy…YES! Best news I’ve heard from the franchise since the decision to not make AVP3! (so many great games being announced recently – PC seems to be doing well for a dying platform!)

@Dreamhacker – I’m with you. I loved AVP2 (the game). It totally nailed the predator and alien modes in my opinion. Hunting prey with your superior strength and eerie vision modes as a Predator has never been bettered anywhere. AVP1 was good, but I preferred the second one. Hopefully this new game will be a lovely blend of the two!

38. DigitalSignalX says:

Loved AVP2. . . but I also loved Rogue Trooper, which seems to get a lot of hate on RPS. It is what it is… sort of a tongue-in-cheek shooter that has no aspirations of being AAA but still delivers a decent bag of tricks. I believe (hope) that was their intention all along.

If that’s true, then I suspect it’s safe to say they can pick up exactly where AVP2 left off and only make it better.

Have to agree about the tracker sound effect… if there was a top 10 “best sounds of suspense” along the lines of the Jaws theme, Orff’s O fortuna from Carmina etc.. this sound would be right on it. *spine shivers*

39. Nick says:

Rogue Trooper got hate on RPS? I thought it was widely accepted as pretty good?

40. TheFatDungeonMaster says:

A huge fan of AvP, played it co-op and deathmatch and campaign alot. For some reason AvP 2 did not work out for me and I cant really remember all the reasons right now. I do recall that if you aimed at someone their name was displayed thus making it pretty impossible to hide. However that was corrected pretty fast? Why cant I remember this, it was not that long ago was it…

41. Gorgeras says:

I was actually a very late PC gamer: my first game was Alien VS Predator. This was a bad thing: it placed my expectations at a stupidly high level permanently from that point on and I rarely have anything nice to say even about clearly very good games.

I spent months just playing Alien VS Predator and Carmageddon 2(a mindless game that wasn’t even trying to be anything but instant gratification) before buying any more. AVP2 was such a disappointment, especially as an alien. Let’s hope Rebellion go back to the original as a model, with some nice new bits stuck on.

42. Toastie says:

The single player in AVP2 wasnt so good because in the marine campaign you ended up fighting more humans, in the form of grey boring mercenaries than aliens! The predator and alien campaigns were slightly better but still I think the first incarnation nailed predator play better for some reason.

The graphics also looked less gritty and more chunky imho.

The multiplayer on AVP2 was much better though I have to admit.

43. Serondal says:

I think the first level as Predator in AVP2 was good and the first level or so as Marine was okay, took me forever to beat the Alien levels up until you get to be an actualy alien. I still loved it and the multiplayer was a lot of fun online. I really liked the idea that you had to start as a face hugger and attack real players and depending on what kind of enemy you face hugged you could be a normal alien or a predalien (with the expansion pack that is, I believe) And then even become a Praetorion alien if you killed enough people and I think a queen ? O.o Any how it was fun.

Lot of AWP sucks kind of complaints there too. “don’t ues heat seaking gun, don’t use disc it tracks blah blah complain complain”

AVP however was perfect, I LOVED the alien levels, knocking out lights, waiting for marines to walk right under you so you could remove their brains the fun way.

They never gave you anything you could handle but also always made you feel like you were on the edge of dieing when you were space marine. And as predator you always had an edge over everything else ( I hate fighting aliens as a predator though, since they can see through your cloak which is the best part about being a predator!)

44. Spliter says:

This literally left me squealing like a 5 year old girl. I miss being Alien so much, and I’ve been logging for a game that made me jump and be afraid like the two previous AVP titles when playing marine (yeah, imho Predator can pretty much go f***k himself, since I’ve played him only for the completion of the story).
    Ah… if only I remembered when I put my game CDs I would start playing the originals right away…
    I remember the good old days when I played AVP2 on my pc that could barely hold it, and now with this release in 2010 I bet my new pc will barely hold the new one…. ahh… it’ll bring back so much memories!
    Also: Bursting out of chests and biting people’s heads of is the best. I loved the start of the chestburster part in AVP2 and I hope they’ll bring it back.

45. Cedge says:

I do believe that Rebellion can pull this off. I know that they can still make good games. Just look at the outstanding Rogue Trooper game, from just a few years back.

I expect something great here. I have a lot of great memories of both AVP games, and I hope this game only adds more.

46. Erlam says:

AvP is still what I refer to as the quintessential ‘multiplayer shooter.’ Nothing, and I mean nothing was as fun for me to play.

However, is this the same AvP3 that has QTE’s in it? Because if so, no thanks.

47. MacBeth says:

AvP used to make me regret launching the game. As soon as the intro studio fanfare turned into the rather menacing minor key drone I started wondering why I had decided to inflict the fear on myself again. This was while playing the Marine campaign of course. The skittering noise of a nearby facehugger. Setting yourself on fire while desperately trying to burn the little bastard. The noise of a door being triggered by a nearby alien. Moving towards an area you know is unsafe but you have to cross it. Argh…

But on the flipside – playing as an alien, wow that was fun. Unnecessary use of the taunt key to hiss and make the humans run away or cower in fear. Losing track of which way up you were and letting go in order to fall off and reestablish a sense of up and down. But best of all, playing one-alien-vs-a-bunch-of-marines in multiplayer, and making them brick it by knocking out the lights, so they have to use IR and thus can’t use their motion trackers… endless fun.

Anyway yes. A new current-gen version. YES PLEASE.

48. Digit says:

I still find this game more scarey than almost any other that has come out. I loved both of them, though I think the first slightly more as it had a definite sadistic bent in the difficultly curve. Truly they captured the feeling and atmostphere so well, and oh God, next gen graphics… as if it needs to bee more realistic :o I was scared enough when a meagre 2000 poly alien ran at me. :'(

49. TC says:

I enjoyed the slightly more polished SP of AVP2, watching the story unfold from 3 different perspectives was a nice idea and starting off as a chest burster in the Alien campaign was good fun.

50. Demikaze says:

The original AvP really was phenomenal. Brutally difficult! I loved playing the marine – I have never been so scared in a computer game and I haven’t been since. It was pure fear distilled (and it probably didn’t help that I was young lad of 14 when it came out). I still can’t believe how perfect it was, even if there was more or less a complete lack of narrative. The alien campaign was also brilliant with a strong balance between its speed/ferocity and its extreme vulnerability. The predator was probably the weakest of the tripartition, but it still had it’s moments.

Off the back of that, I followed Rebellion and when out and bought Judge Dredd without reading any reviews. I just knew it would be something else.

I completed it three hours later and gave it back to Woolworths claiming it was broken and wouldn’t run on my machine.

How do you from something sublime to such utter tosh?