Drift To Experience: Metal Drift

By Kieron Gillen on May 20th, 2009 at 2:09 pm.

When Metal Drifts, it becomes soft rock.

One thing which ensures we’ll post your game is if you have an awesome name. In fact, even if for a second we think you have an awesome name. So when Brian Ramage mailed us, I got all excited thinking he was called BRIAN RAMPAGE. But he’s not. Momentary sad-face, turning smiling when you realise he’s here to tell about a soon-to-be-released-game-on-Steam. It’s a multiplayer-hover-craft sports game called Metal Drift, and it’s the first fruit of indie Black Jacket Studios, who certainly have the multiplayer lineage being Tribes 2 vets. I had a quick go at the preview-code now, and it seems to walk that line between Battlezone and Speedball 2. Which is a good line to walk. More when we’ve played more, I suspect, but until then there’s info on their site, and beneath the cut you’ll find some footage of the game in action.

Worth clicking through for the HD version, as it’s a little fuzzy in normal resolution.

And then here’s some later footage showing off the Stealth mode. You’re able to select different abilities for the ship at the start of the game, you see…

Metal Drift – Stealth Upgrade Demo from Black Jacket Studios on Vimeo.

I wish I had a hovercraft with guns and/or was called Brian Rampage. Sad face again.

(Er… the title’s a terrible pun based around the awesome Lift To Experience)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Dave says:

BRAIN RAMPAGE! would be even better. And that’s how I read it.

2. Lucky Main Street says:

I’m having flashbacks of “Hover!”

3. LionsPhil says:

I was going to say—if that’s got Capture the Flag and powerups, it’s almost Hover!

4. Saul says:

@Dave: was going to make the exact same comment. Someone needs to make a game called that.

5. AndrewC says:

BRAIN RAMPAGE – the sequel to Bookworm Adventures.

Also I now have that slightly bittersweet nostalgic feeling for Battlezone, like the warmth after you’ve just wet the bed. Sigh.

6. Jim Rossignol says:

I recommend watching both those videos at the same time. Awesome.

7. jon_hill987 says:

@Lucky Main Street: I thought of Hover as well. Best hovercraft game to come free with windows 95 ever.

8. Ben Abraham says:

I am always glad that I can rely on RPS to tell me about new and exciting ways to spend my money.

9. c-Row says:

Hover? Pah… HI OCTANE! This just needs some more open spaces.

10. Ian says:

Way to make me wish my surname was Rampage, Kieron.

11. Ben says:

The arena made me think of pinball, must be all the rounded bumpers, kept thinking I would see a flipper any second and lots of neon lights!!

12. espy says:

I actually read “Brain Rampage” and thought: not such a bad name for a studio.

13. Jad says:

I think that Brian Ramage is now legally obligated to change his name to BRIAN RAMPAGE!

There are laws about these things, right?

14. MonkeyMonster says:

Ooooh, dual finger movement + mouse pew pew pew.
    Looks rather entertaining!

15. Wulf says:

Another entry for the List of Good Things About Most Indie Developers.

- They can take something that you fondly remember and revive it with such passion that it’s a welcome homage to those memories, rather than a heartless raping-for-money thereof.

Indie is like the antithesis of Hollywood, but I digress.

This looks amazing, frankly, and I do love vehicle combat games. And I’m absolutely fascinated by the gyroscopic cockpit, which seems to be able to roll around in the vehicle whilst the vehicle is in motion. Someone needs to make a car that has that!

16. Optimaximal says:

Like c-Row, my first thoughts were Hi-Octane… Miss Bullfrog :(

Still, if this has proper races w. weapons alongside CTF/DM then I’m sold… (If it comes on Steam for reasonable money with Steamworks integration, it’s pre-sold!)

17. MrBejeebus says:

I totally read that as Brain Rampage…

and this game looks pretty good, might give it a looksee, DAMNIT RPS STOP ENCOURAGING ME TO SPEND MY MONEY!

18. Pijama says:

Bullfrog :’(

On that note, WHERE ARE THE BRITISH INDIE SOLDIERS TO KICK MOLYNEUX’S ARSE AND MAKE A SPIN OFF OF DUNGEON KEEPER OR SYNDICATE?

I blame YOU, RPS collective.

*breathes deeply*

19. Serondal says:

Ramage in and of itself could be a good name if he changed his name to something like A$$ Ramage he’d be a shoe in for pron movies.

I always wanted to play Battlefield and Battlefield 2 but could never find a copy to purcase, found some on amazon recently but figured it was to late ;P It’d feel so out dated I’d be angry.

Anyone remember that game Flames of Freedom where you could run around on islands trying to start a counter revoltuion against a huge government and it let you get in any tank/plane/submarine ect in the game and even had deformable terrian?

Man good times!

20. Chis says:

So is indie gaming is bringing a new PC gaming renaissance in the face of bland commercial sequelage? Most of the fun I’ve had with PC gaming lately has been with independant titles such as Plants vs. Zombies, Pioneer, Zeno Clash, Braid… etc.

This feels like it’s the sort of thing you’d get in a 90s PC title, as others have said, like Hi Octane. Looking forward to this! :)

21. Wedge says:

Brian Ramage is awesome. I think he lives down the street from me. I played a test version of this game a few years ago, and it was fun as hell back then. Looking nice and polished now, and surely just as fun.

Also pretty sure it’s coming out over Instant Action, so you won’t have to pay for it, though there will probably be some optional charges, at least given how they’ve been doing things there.

22. Wedge says:

Oh and the cockpit isn’t fully gyroscopic and rotatable, the vehicles are just hovering, so you can turn them without altering their vector unless you apply thrust. Y’know, like asteroids. I think there’s a bit of wiggle room for making aiming easier though, works really nice.

23. Larington says:

I saw that first image and for just a second I thought I was looking at a new Descent title… Awwww.

24. WarFalci says:

Reminds me of DeathDrome. Ah… good old memories. I just hope it comes out cheap as hell and with a good single player portion. Nobody deserves multiplayer only games.

25. Noc says:

It reminds me of a really, really old game that I am forgetting the name of. Something like “Locus” or “Locust,” which was essentially the same “first-person vehicle-driven ball game with shooty,” except that it was in all of these crazy, geometric three-dimensional arenas.

It was pretty great, at least to my 10 year old self. Hmm.

26. ordteapot says:

Someday Kieron will be captured in a games-journo-war guerrilla action, and, as Their mad scientists are busy readying themselves to pick his brain for all the dark secrets it holds, the nurse makes a startling discovery: “Oh shit!,” he was actually a purpose-built obscure-music reference-generator robot — from the future.

Seriously though, they don’t even have a wikipedia page.

27. Sajmn says:

Somehow, the arenas seemed too small for really clever maneuvering or combat. Looks very interesting though. The fact that you can see your vehicle makes it that much cooler.

28. ordteapot says:

Also: is anyone else having nostalgia for that crummy hovercraft game that came with Win95?

29. Wedge says:

Oh OK, checked the forums and it’s coming out over Steam now too/instead? Interesting…

30. Rustkill says:

The game that this reminded me of most is Locus; the first game I ever bought that came on a “Compact Disc” :O

Complete with the sci-fi sports theme, hovering vehicles, shooting of metal balls into goals and zapping of opponents.

31. Lucky Main Street says:

@Jim re: both videos at once: synched explosions!

32. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I know, I’m late commenting on this. Can’t even go away from the net for four days without missing things like.. this.

If it were available on the mac, this would be so very much an impulse ‘must-buy’ for me. As it is, I’m hoping against hope it’ll have a non-Steam-plugged demo. Maybe it can even convince me to buy into the whole Steam thing.

33. Nahkatakkimies says:

Metal Drift is now available for preorder on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/32200/

Worth 7,19 EYPOs?