Fun Times: Browser Doom, Heretic & Hexen

By Alec Meer on May 21st, 2009 at 12:23 pm.

While adult-me might have baulked at Killing Floor’s testosteronal presentation, I still revert gladly back to dumb little teenage-me whenever I play the original Doom. To this end, I am diligently ensuring I’m able to play the thing anywhere and anywhen. There is nowhere in my house from which I cannot reach Doom within a matter of seconds, be it on my PC, my 360, my hacked iPhone. In case of grumpy, old-man-y emergency: fire up the game. This has become even easier now there’s a proper-shiny, free in-browser version of id’s medium-defining dumbass shooter. Bonus: it includes Heretic and Hexen too.

It’s the work of one of Newgrounds’ habitual mega-brains, a chap named, simply, Mike. An earlier version of his Flash port of Doom scooped a £3000 prize in an FHM-sponsored webgame compo, half of which he donated to charity and the rest to the free software foundation. What a gent.

The game is Doom (and Hexen and Heretic) as you’d expect – no fancy/silly modified graphics or whatnot – the major exception being that it doesn’t support standard mouselook due to a foible of Flash 10. Yes, I’m afraid it requires Flash 10 and thus cannot be said to be truly browser/OS agnostic, which will no doubt turn at least 12 of you into rage-pumped looneymen. But it’s free and it’s ace, so at least let the rest of us enjoy it in peace. Back to mouselook – you need to hold down the left mouse button to look around, which in turn shunts fire over to the spacebar, and use to the R button. Sounds a little clunky, but honestly it works just fine.

What next for old man Doom, then? I do miss the site itplaysdoom.com, sadly long-deaded, but at one time quite the litany of unlikely devices that could handle id’s singleplayer masterpiece. Perhaps RPS could resurrect it here…. Check out some of the late site’s more unlikely Doom finds courtesy of the Waybackmachine, however.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. diebroken says:

Excellent! Also, any new gaming platform/hardware should be expected to run a version of DOOM as a minimum requirement. :)

I miss itplaysdoom.com too …

edit: didn’t someone have it running the playthrough demo on an ATM? :P

2. pierec says:

Awesome, shame that there is no music.

3. l1ddl3monkey says:

@Pierec: http://www.afn.org/~afn04133/doom1.htm

Doomy doomy doom doom doom

4. phuzz says:

In the interests of arguments, what doesn’t run Flash 10? My crappy netbook does.

Also, Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom! If it won’t run Doom, it’s not a Turing machine!

5. CMaster says:

I still think that anyone with a PC is better off with Windoom or similar, rather than this flash port. And I believe there are similar versions for most other OSes and formats…

6. Aldaris says:

I’m gonna sing the doom song now!^^
    Doom doom doo doom doom do-doom dooooom…..doom dooom doom doom doom doom doom doomdoom.

7. Matt says:

Is this definitely legal? seems like there would be some sort of issue here

8. Chis says:

Newdoom recently posted their “community project 2″ for ZDoom, and while I’m glad to see that this flash port opens up Doom to – potentially – further platforms, for those of us that like to play the newest WADs such as this massive 30+ level collection, ZDoom is still king of the ports.

9. Alec Meer says:

It’s just the shareware WADs, Matt.

10. Ashurbanipal says:

The best game ever made in the doom engine was Strife, and until that gets converted, I’m not really interested.

I understand I can play with these magic wad port things to get it running in nice resolutions, but they confuse and enrage me.

Then again, Hexen and Heretic were pretty cool in their time…

11. Dominic White says:

To hell with Browser Doom. How about fully upgraded modern Doom with online multiplayer, an active community, and even an excellent wave-based arcade survival mode?

What you want it Skulltag. It makes Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife/Any Doom Engine Game awesome.

12. reaven says:

Bad thing is, Dominic, that there are like 25 players for 300 servers. Its like a Ghost town, and its a shame because its really fun.
    zdaemon has more players but misses some of the special game modes skulltag has.

13. Dominic White says:

At peak times, it’s usually pretty easy to find a game. Or just bring some of your buddies – there’s an advantage to most servers being empty at any given time.

14. Nobody Important says:

I echo an above question: What doesn’t have Flash 10? That seems pretty OS/browser agnostic to me (unless you’re a Lynx nut, but then again you’re probably not running a GUI anyway).

Game looks cool – hopefully Mike releases his code so we can get fan-made maps through this.

FYI: PrBoom is still the best Doom engine, on any OS.

15. JKjoker says:

No Music !??! thats like the best part …. -_-

16. Helm says:

What I do with Doom nowadays is every time I find a port I run the shareware levelpack in Nightmare difficulty. I play a single life and try to go as far as I can. I know the maps by heart after all these years, it’s just a matter of staying alive. Adrenalin.

I made it to the fifth map. I’d like to blame that I run out of mouseturn space (weird bug in the flash code) but I’ll be frank, the invisipinkies got me.

I think at some point the first doom (and the second? I like the double barrel shotgun) should be donated as public domain by id and at any point on any computer if someone holds the tilde key down and types ‘D – O – O – M’ on the keyboard their OS runs doom instantly, no questions asked.

17. Anthony says:

I swear to god I could not open any doors.

Here I am, hitting R like a madman, and nothing happens. Is it just me?

18. Radiant says:

This public domain D.o.o.m. on anything idea is car full of win.

19. Benjamin Ferrari says:

“I echo an above question: What doesn’t have Flash 10? ”

Android has no flash at all (it is in development and scheduled for release later this year).

20. Walsh says:

iPhone has no Flash.

21. Weylund says:

@Ashurbanipal: Strife kicked ass. I still keep the CD safe.

@phuzz: err, pretty much anything that isn’t a PC/Mac? And lots of those don’t support the latest Flash, and may not ever, given the atrocious apparent difficulty of updating to support the damned thing. No one who makes Flash “things” for the masses (i.e. folks who actually get paid for it) uses the latest version for precisely that reason.

22. greg says:

This is the best doom/II you can get now IMHO

check out addons page as well.

23. Benjamin Ferrari says:

@Weylund: “PC/Mac” is redundant, since Mac is a PC brand.

@Walsch “iPhone has no Flash.”

Sure, but the iPhone is a appliance. You don’t necessarily expect flash on an appliance (think consoles or washing machines).

Android is the only operating system for PCs (that is actually relevant for end users) that does not have any flash support yet.

24. Fumarole says:

Earlier this year I played Doom on a Virgin flight from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Too bad the fellow next to me, having put away his PSP, couldn’t play versus me in deathmatch. Step up, Virgin, LAN support is a must!

25. Xyzzy says:

@Dominic White

I love skulltag (play it at lunch every day with my friends, currently we’re doing TNT Survival), but my biggest complaint is the lack of a Invasion level that sufficiently seems epic. Sure, there’s d2inv2 which has 8 waves and a cyberdemon at the end, but when you have 8 people standing by you, each armed to the teeth, where’s the “oh my god we are getting our guts ripped out through our throats” 1000+ monster levels?

26. Dominic White says:

@Xyzzy

You’ll be wanting Armageddon Invasion 2, then.
    Inspired by Serious Sam, and it shows.

One of Supergods servers runs this WAD, I believe. It should auto-download upon joining.

Comment on this story