Super Soldiers Are Super: New Prototype Footage

By John Walker on May 22nd, 2009 at 1:21 pm.

Release new screenshots, you loons!

Prototype is due to appear early next month, and boy do we like the look of the flesh-tearing, car-throwing, super-soldier-exploding madness. If it can really deliver on the non-stop carnage the trailers imply, then cor, it could be splendid. There’s a new trailer showing off various enemies to splode, including the tentacular Hydra and the mysterious Specialist. There’s also another trailer with the president of developer Radical, Kelly Zmak (which should be a word used in comics when someone’s punching), chattering about why he likes it. Guess where the videos are. GUESS.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Schadenfreude says:

Prototype has broken the website!

2. Theoban says:

OH GOD THESE ARE THE END TIMES ABANDON SHIP IT’S ALL FALLING DOWN

3. theleif says:

This could be the best carnage ever.

4. Markoff Chaney says:

And art imitates life imitating art wherein a post about being able to break stuff breaks its own post. Brilliant sly wink analysis gentlemen. Sublime in its nature, yet perfect in execution. Well Played.

5. Sam says:

ohhhhh, that first trailer’s got me worried. The grapple-happy enemies from Hulk:UD reaallly tested my patience. There are few things less amusing in gaming than watching a long, inescapable grapple animation as your life drains precipitously.

6. jackflash says:

It’s amazing how easy it is to identify cross-platform games these days by how dated the graphics look.

7. Ian says:

If the big boss creatures are as fun-sapping as the ones in Hulk: UD were that’ll be a shame.

8. phil says:

Hulk Angry! Hulk smash Hulkbuster! Hulk smash Abomination! Hulk participate in fun multi-tier combat with satisfying boss opponents without losing sense he still strongest there is! Hulk speculate this bodes well for Prototype!

9. whaleloever says:

One word: Legendary

10. Nimic says:

Two words: Ledge and Dairy.

11. John Walker says:

I fixed it! I fixed it!

12. James says:

I absolutely REFUSE to guess. YOU CAN’T MAKE ME, MR. WALKER.

13. GeoffB says:

These guys really know how to hype. I have no idea what the game is about, aside from a sneaking suspicion that the Umbrella Corporation would fit right in.

14. ilves says:

so whats wrong with my browser when the area where the video is supposed to be is just a blank white box?

15. Andy says:

Sooo the enemies are called “Infected” and there is a boss type called “Hunters”? Really? They could have come up with something better than just ripping off l4d surely.

16. Gorgeras says:

Well the second video drops a hefty plot clue.

So I suppose as soon as I first load I should head for the nearest in-game internet cafe and search for ‘Hope+Idaho+outbreak’.

Radical’s solution? There will probably be no internet cafes in the game. I’ve actually become quite disappointed with games that don’t have internet cafes since GTA IV came out.

17. Linfosoma says:

The game looks good but Im worried about how they are going to balance such an overpowered main character.

18. John Walker says:

ilves – it likely means you’re adblocking our site, which means we hate you.

19. Tei says:

So the game has 4 enemy types?
    hunter
    super hunter
    ubersoldier
    super ubersoldier

Can I say “Meh…” ?

I know some VIC20 games with more originality…

20. Pavel says:

John Walker – I have two white boxes as well, but I am excused, with being at work behind proxy and all that :).

Prototype could be good relaxing game, but I will wait for a price drop and a few patches.

21. beef chief says:

this could be amazing.

22. Taill4f4r says:

The sounds are a bit weak, eh. Although, I have a feeling it’s not going to play as well as I’m hoping, it could still be fun. We shall see!

23. Dominic White says:

For anyone doubting whether this could be fun, or whether it will be balanced, you need to do yourself a favour and play Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on the original Xbox.

Aside from a chance of main character and a shift to the dark side, this looks to share 90% of the core gameplay with Hulk. This is a good thing, as phil so eloquently pointed out above.

And wrestling enemies are fun – if you didn’t feel at least a little pang of glee when you suplexed a Hulkbuster off a skyscraper, then you are dead on the inside.

24. ilves says:

hm… well, i’m at work, so my company could be ad-blocking you, which means you should direct your hatred toward them. But I don’t think ad-block is on since I can see other ads, including pop-ups, banners, etc.

25. hydra9 says:

Ah! It does look good… But I’m still upset that inFAMOUS is PS3-exclusive.

26. Gorgeras says:

Tei, these are the ‘bosses’, not generic enemies.

27. DigitalSignalX says:

It is completely normal, this joy at the final boss being called “mother.”

Seriously.

28. Pijama says:

The idea of saying “TAKE THAT MOM” is going to make some children happy.

You guys know I am right.

29. l1ddl3monkey says:

In homage to the title of this post:

Do want.

30. Deadend says:

I do indeed want this, as that trailer made me go “ah, so that is what the crazy combat system with multiple combat styles is for” now I am satisfied that I will be fighting stuff in the game that can survive for the finishing move in a combo to be done on it.

Hopefully it won’t have Hulk:UD’s issue of the overpowered heat-seeking elbow drop of massive damage. As that move was kind of broken, once I got it all I did was elbow drop to win.