The RPS Bargain Bucket: Scribbles, Cars, Gods

By Alec Meer on May 23rd, 2009 at 12:55 pm.

Dear lord, is it really another bank holiday? What’s wrong with this country? Best to spend it gaming, anyway – and here’s a few money-saving morsels selected for you good people by Savygamer‘s prime minister of penny-pinching, LewieP.

And Yet It Moves – £7.99/€8.99/$9.99
Indie 2D puzzle platformer about rotation. Not played it yet, but Alec had this to say about it: “WASD moves your character, while the cursor keys rotate the game-world. Navigating the pseudo-hand-drawn levels escalates from simple running and jumping, through rotation to create safe egresses, to doing both at once – Portal-esque momentum-management, building up a head of steam then rotating the screen at just the right moment to ensure you land where you need to.” Demo here. RPS coverage here.

ToCA Race Driver 3 – £3.14/€3.57/$4.99
GoG must have filled up their hard drive or something, because pretty soon they are going to remove this game from their library. I kind of thought one of the benefits of digital distribution was that you never have to take a game of the shelves, but who knows what dodgy deals are going on behind closed doors. Perhaps sales of this were interfering with sales of newer racing games, or maybe I need to take off my tin foil hat. I hate racing sims, sorry, but I hear that this is a particularly good one.

The Atari Collection – £9.98 at PC World
Sorry, this one is just for UK folk. Ten PC games with Atari written on the box for £9.98. You get the complete Baldur’s Gate series, Neverwinter Nights 2, Test Drive Unlimited, GTR 2, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and other filler games of varying degrees of interest. £1 a game is incredible, and some of these would be great for an older PC or even a netbook. Stock levels are going to be pretty erratic, but you can check for stock online here. I’ve seen them at this price in two different stores, so I think it is safe to assume it is nationwide, but if you can confirm/deny this, please do so in the comments.

Demigod Coupon shenanigans
Also worth mentioning. Stardock have now started sending out Demigod 50% off coupons. Yes they shipped a game with some pretty serious problems, but half price is half price. I think it is a bit of a kick in the teeth to say “hey, you bought our broken game at release, here have a coupon so you can encourage one of your friends give us more money”. Some kind of refund, or store credit for Impulse would have been much nicer. What the hell ever happened to Stardock’s bill of rights anyway? There is a (at the moment fairly empty) thread here on the RPS forums for coupon swapping, which might be your best bet for getting a coupon. RPS coverage here. There is no demo as of yet.

Deal of the week
Team Fortress 2 – £6.99/€9.99/$9.99
I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be allowed to do a Bargain Bucket this week without included some mention of TF2. Not only is it free to play this weekend, and has had a bunch of new gameplay content added to it recently, but it is also ludicrously cheap. Not only are Valve very good at making games, but they are very good at drawing attention to the fact that they are very good at making games, and who am I to argue with that. They best still be working on things called Half-Life.

1. Griffinheart says:

I almost feel like buying a few copies of TF2 to hand out to friends…$10 is nice.

2. bansama says:

I’ve listed pretty much every DD sale I could find, over here once again.

Worth mentioning is probably the 2K sale on D2D, although most of the items have regional restrictions, I expect a few of titles may be of interest to people in either the US or UK.

3. Gremmi says:

The Atari pack is coming up at £24.96 for me.

4. Carra says:

Yeah, the Atari pack shows as £24.96. Where the heck is the pound sign on my keyboard anyway?

Flatout on gog.com also seems to be a fun game and that for $2.99.

5. diebroken says:

It’s not listed, and not sure if it was mentioned last week regarding the buzz around Thief 4, but I picked up the Thief Collection on Amazon’s marketplace for just over £10 – what a steal. :)

6. Lighthouse says:

I love this logic …

Publishers place their games on sale – obviously to increase sales and to try extract money from those who might not have otherwise bought the game if it were not on sale, but …

They still have regional restrictions in place.

So if someone like me was willing to spend money on their games on sale at Direct-to-drive, I cannot – just for the simple fact that I am not in North America.

7. Gremmi says:

I’ll be up at PC World anyway this afternoon though, so I can ask them to scan it through and see if it comes up any different – though as far as I’m aware the website and store price databases are one and the same.

8. Gremmi says:

“Can someone please enlighten me to the logic behind regional restrictions with regards to digital distribution sales?”

Depends on the publisher’s contract. GamersGate is the best place to see this – some games are listed twice, with one having ‘UK’ in the title. I believe it’s outside of the actual distributor’s control.

Direct2Drive is an odd site anyway – they have both a US and a UK store, yet some titles appear on the US site as region free, but not on the UK site.

9. bansama says:

They still have regional restrictions in place.

Yeah I know. I was all set to pick up Serious Sam until I noticed that Serious Sam 2 was regionally restricted. No point in buying the first if I can’t pick up the second.

Then I noticed it was on Gamersgate available in my region (no idea about the UK, but if it’s available in Japan on GG then chances are good it’s available in the UK too). But they don’t stock the first one. Which makes even less sense, but the really annoying thing is, why regionally restrict games from a certain publisher on some DD services but not on others?

I look forward to a day when at least one DD service manages to secure new games from all the major publishers for release in all regions at the same price. Yeah I know, there’s more chance of pigs flying while wearing tin foil hats.

10. Toca-deal says:

The GOG-guys said that the TOCA-removal is due to licensing issues with cars, et.c. If it’s true, I expect it to be removed/restricted at other portals as well, as Codemasters can no longer sell it (at least not worldwide).

It’s worth mentioning the other offers they have too – $4.99 for 1nsane (the right price for it in the first place, though it is an excellent LAN-game) and $2.99 for FlatOut + soundtrack. FlatOut is still awesome.

11. realsch says:

According to Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5265999/stardock-sending-out-demigod-apology-coupons) people will also get a 20% discount impulse coupon.
    Seeing people complain about the coupon is pretty silly. Most games don’t even bother updating their buggy releases.

12. Rolo says:

Thanks for posting the Atari collection deal.
    Just popped to my local PC World to get one and can confirm it is £9.98 in store.

13. dadioflex says:

If Toca is taken out of the library does that mean it can’t be re-downloaded?

14. Toca-deal says:

dadioflex: Nope. Just that it won’t be sold.

15. bansama says:

Re Demigod: Not only were the 50% off for friends/whoever coupon codes given out, there’s the already mentioned 20% off any title coupon code for those Demigod owners and the promise of additional deals for people who play Demigod regularly for more than a couple of hours a week (although I guess that’s online play only, which rules me out — I only play offline right now).

16. suibhne says:

Men of War is currently $19.90 through GoGamer (Stateside).

17. Dorsch says:

And yet it moves is actually a really good game if you are not frustrated easily, so if you like hard platformes, you should buy it. Its worth ten bux imo.

EDIT: If you play it, do yourself a favour and switch the rotate keys around, so that they rotate your charakter instead of the whole world around him. Makes it much easier.

18. Gremmi says:

Hm, strange. Went into my local PCW and the Atari pack was indeed £24.96.

19. Weylund says:

When will Dead Space go on sale? WHEN? Damned TF2, stealing the possibility of a Dead Space cheap weekend.

20. darth_careful says:

I got the Atari pack at PC World Worcester for £9.98 – I’m pretty sure it was the last one, though. They’re poor at updating price tags, so even if it is marked up at £25 it’s worth asking them to scan it through the till to see if it comes up for a tenner.

Incidentally, they also had Guitar Hero: Decades (for DS, with grip) for £15. Bargain!

21. sinister agent says:

Simple. Everyone in the games industry hates and despises us all.

22. FreezerBag says:

US based gamers might want to check out the GoGamer Memorial weekend sale.

As suibhne mentioned, Men of war is $20, and The Sims 3 for $40 is a nice pre-release discount.

(via CheapAssGamer)

23. Vinraith says:

Wow, this is the worst weekend for PC game deals in a long time.

24. Ian says:

All the Baldur’s Gates’ games for under a tenner? I should probably try that.

Hm. Just looked on their interwebsite and it doesn’t have it for a tenner. :(

25. Blast Hardcheese says:

A Dead Space weekend? Just because EA handles physical distribution of TF2 doesn’t mean there will be a Dead Space weekend. Dead Space is an EA property, whereas TF2 is Valve.

26. Baris says:

Ooh, my thread is listen on the main site! It’s a dream come true.

If only I could edit my original post to make it more for everyone instead of just focusing on me.

27. Jason Lefkowitz says:

I second FreezerBag’s mention of the GoGamer weekend sale. They have Battlestations: Midway for PC on sale for a whopping $2.90. That’s not a great game, but it is a pretty good game, and certainly worth three bucks if you haven’t played it yet.

28. Magnus says:

The Baldur’s Gate deal is a very good one, especially with the vast collection of mods available.

I’m currently replaying them for the umpteenth time, and I picked up a great collection of mods from a couple of sites:

very much recommended, you can make the Baldurs Gate series into one extended game, with all the benefits of using the BG2 engine.

29. dadioflex says:

Well, I bought Toca. Looking forward to many many crashes.

BTW, how sandbox IS Burnout Paradise? Can I just tool around in it for the lolz and mayhem or do you have to follow a “career path” to get anywhere?

30. Mull says:

Before buying TF2 on steam, it’s worth checking your local HMV for a copy… I bought three of ‘em for two pounds each about a month ago.

Win!

31. bansama says:

The entire world is open to you right from the start. With races, etc., starting when you want them to. So you can pretty much mess around as much as you want.

I used to enjoy it, but the fact that an in-game bug prevents my from buying the DLC and the total lack of support from the devs in that regard, turned me right off of the game and I haven’t touched it since.

YMMV.

32. Saul says:

Has Alec split into two people, then?

“Indie 2D puzzle platformer about rotation. Not played it yet, but Alec had this to say about it”

And the post is by… Alec.

33. KBKarma says:

Has Alec split into two people, then?

And the post is by… Alec.

I presume he meant Keiron.

That Atari thing sounds AWESOME. I already OWN all the Baldur’s Gate games, as well as NWN 2, though. So, bah.

Two things though:
    1) “Baldurs & Water front games” – Baldur’s Front? Water Gate? What the hell does that sentence mean?
    2) OH MY LORD, IT’S MORE THAN TEN GAMES. It’s nine. And EVERY Baldur’s Gate game. That’s 13 games. For £1.92 each. Awesome stuff.

34. LewieP says:

Yeah, to confirm about PC World, the online price is not the same as the in store price for a lot of clearance items. I think there is some sort of pattern to do with the last digit of the price, but I am not 100% sure. I think that if it ends in 6 (as in £24.96) it can have a different in store price. Even if the price sticker says £24.96, it is worth asking them to check the price at the till, because (as darth_careful says) they often just don’t put updated price stickers on everything.

Also, Alec published the post, but I write everything (for all the bargain buckets) except for the introduction paragraph.

Sorry there is fairly slim pickings this week. Gamersgate’s special offers are a repeat of a deal previously offered by Impulse (and wasn’t even that popular then) and a game that is available much cheaper at retail. Hopefully next week will be better.

35. abhishek says:

Yea slim pickings this week for sure. I went ahead and picked up Demigod for half off after I (luckily) managed to bum a coupon off some kind soul on the Impulse forums. Looking through a few popular gaming forums, the coupons are definitely in high demand with people and I do believe Stardock (and potential customers) would be better served if they offered this discount in the form of a weekend deal or some limited time promotion.

36. Blackberries says:

Sigh. I ordered the Baldur’s Gate collection from Amazon for £10 just a couple of days ago. Would have been nice to have got NWN 2 thrown in for the same price as well.

37. Carra says:

Too bad it’s a UK only deal, wish I could buy one :(

38. Nafe says:

Just stopped by PC World and picked up the Atari thing. Not sure how interested I am in the games but 9.98 – awwwwesome. Thanks for the heads up, I feel like a kid at Christmas.

39. Blather Blob says:

UK racer fans are probably more well served by the Atari Collection than TOCA 3. GTR 2 is a fairly realistic sim, with a good deal of content, is incredibly expandable, and still has a fairly active community (including many people who still prefer it to its sequel, GTR: Evolution). And TDU is a somewhat flaky, very arcadey racer, and is incredible fun. On the “Pro” setting, I’d even describe it as slightly more realistic than TOCA 3 (which isn’t to say it’s very realistic, but still…), and though it has problems, especially with maintaining a connection through a firewall to the online servers, it’s still a better job of console porting than TOCA 3.

And for us Americans, last time I ordered from GoGamer I noticed that the price of shipping per game seemed to be at its lowest when ordering in batches of 2 games per order. Just something to keep in mind if you’re ordering multiple games from them. Also look back at some previous weeks’ deal threads for some warnings about their import version of Men of War and its compatibility with patches. But in general GoGamer is great. I’ve been ordering from them for years.

40. Nafe says:

I found GTR to be pretty much the most realistic racing game I’ve ever played. On simulation level the things you had to be aware of in your average lap was astonishing. Just a shame I can no longer use my old MS force feedback wheel – it uses an old joystick port that I don’t have on my current machine. I don’t think Vista even supports it any more.

41. somnolentsurfer says:

This column is seriously dangerous. Like a regular weekly crit to my credit-crunched bank balance. Last week I bought the complete Sam and Max. I’ve not even finished Hit the Road yet.

I can confirm that PC World in Bradford is selling the Atari collection at £9.98. It looks like they have one left. Will anyone give me £7 for all the games bar Balders Gate and NN2?

42. Carra says:

And men of war is up at gamersgate for €12, damn my bankaccount.

43. Brass Gerbil says:

Lawyers. If something doesn’t seem to make sense, look for a lawyer in the mix and suddenly things will become clear. I learned years ago that lawyers are the root of all evil in a developed society, (money and women got a bad rap, there).