Alex Mercer Is Having A Bad Day: Prototype

By John Walker on May 28th, 2009 at 9:41 am.

This happened to me once. It soon clears up.
Update: New mission walkthrough trailer with developer commentary added below, too. Tis a good one.

Boasting “disgustingly deadly confrontations”, the latest video from GameTrailers previewing Prototype doesn’t contain any new facts, but it does make this colossally fun-looking game seem even more enticing. Explaining who lead character Alex Mercer is, we learn some hints about how he came to possess his gruesome abilities, and then screens and screens of brutal violence. It’s a fun time. I’d watch it if I were you. Since I’m me, and I did.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bhazor says:

So GT review guy now does voice overs?

Still, it good to see the disguises are still in there. So long as they aren’t mandatory I’ll be very happy.

2. Catastrophe says:

I am getting this for the Xbox360 out of fear of under permformance on my PC.

I also feel its one of them games that will just “work” better on Consoles and look lovely on my 42inch TV.

3. Sephrilum says:

…He just bodyslammed a tank.

This looks like Crank: The Video Game.

4. Lewis says:

So, I just read the headline as “Alec Meer is having a bad day.”

5. weegosan says:

Throwing a body at a helicopter makes it explode?

6. MetalCircus says:

Nobody said it was realistic

7. pierec says:

Absolutely. Try it!

8. Denton says:

That top left polaroid looks a little bit like Tom Francis.

9. Little Green Man says:

@weegosan
    Don’t think of it as realistic, think of it as AWESOME!

10. Rosti says:

1) Like Lewis, I fail at reading today. On the other hand, this make me want to create an RPS game/mod – ALEC MEER’S BAD DAY!!!1!

2) Clearly, one of the unlocked abilities is a Gambit-esque exploding matter power. Which is fine, but civilians are the only easily available ammunition…

11. Lewis says:

“That top left polaroid looks a little bit like Tom Francis.”

Arf! It does.

In other “game journalists looking like characters” news, someone I know makes this: http://forthegamergood.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lolngaicroal.jpeg

12. Dominic White says:

I recently dusted off my copy of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on the OldXbox, the previous game by Radical. A little aside: It actually runs at 720p if your TV supports that (and, due to Microsoft idiocy, you have a US/Softmodded Xbox, as they removed HDTV features from the european dashboard), which is great.

What has become very apparent from comparing gameplay footage of Hulk and Prototype is that, if it weren’t for the change of main character, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Prototype is a direct sequel. The combat system is near-identical (including a very intuitive padlock-camera system), the upgrade method, the military alert system, the ‘enemies drop glowing health orbs on death’ thing, which can ‘overfill’ your health bar and let you do slowmo area-clearing smartbomb attacks, etc etc. Aside from the comic lisence, near everything else is an upgraded version of Hulk.

Prototype is Ultimate Destruction 2: This Time You’re Carnage/Venom. Pure and simple. This is a good thing, as even on a third play, Hulk is brilliant fun. Hammer-throwing tanks, punting soldiers a hundred feet into the air, and power-bombing mechs off skyscrapers will never, ever get old. And despite giving you ridiculous powers, it’s never a cakewalk either. Quite challenging in places, in fact. If they can replicate this, and the sense of escalation Hulk had (you start out fighting cops, then regular army, the special ops – by the end, they’re throwing squads of super-science giant robots with hojilions of guns at you), then it WILL be great.

Bring on the mutant hoodie-man, says I.

Seniath says:

So this is a game about a virus wreaking havoc, right? And the lead character is named Mercer. Which is how Americans (well, those who appear in House at least) pronounce MRSA. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

14. Ian says:

Elbow-dropping a tank doesn’t look any less brilliant than it did in the last trailer RPS posted.

MonkeyMonster says:

That’s a nice warm apple pie of awesome I want to stick my …

16. DarthInsinuate says:

Evil killer virus! I don’t know why, but I hate that as a plot device.

But flying like a squirrel looks like fun, and smashing stuff too.

17. Dominic White says:

Oh yeah, there’s a list of achievements from the 360 version here:

Nothing spoily (the ‘secret’ ones are still hidden), but it gives you an idea of just how ridiculously violent it is. There’s one for killing 50 people in under 5 seconds, and the amusing ‘nice guy’ achievement is your reward for eating less than ten civillians over the course of the game. You can still chow down on as many soldiers as you like, though.

One of the cooler ones: Speed Bumps – with a single tank, crush over 500 people. Splattertastic.

Oh, and the one-upmanship continues. There’s an achievment to kill 53,596 infected, which in itself is one more than Left4Deads ‘Zombie Genocidest’, which in turn was one more than Dead Risings ‘Zombie Genocider’. I’m just dissapointed they didn’t call it Zombie Genocidester.

18. DMJ says:

I need Prototype, because in real life I’m inexplicably not a super-powered carnage-wreaking one-man army capable of killing tanks with my elbows.

19. Dhomochevsky Static says:

Definitely liking the looks of this. Always had a fondness for Venom and Carnage, and this is basically as close as we’ll get to playing them any time soon. Have they released the system reqs yet? Most of the 360 ports haven’t been too system intensive, which is great for those of us with no Xbox and a less-than-stellar machine.

20. Optimaximal says:

Throwing a body at a helicopter makes it explode?

You didn’t know?

21. Acosta says:

“So, I just read the headline as “Alec Meer is having a bad day.”

So I did.

22. Alec Meer says:

I’m always having a bad day.

23. Paxeh says:

I once had a bad day. It went away.

24. JulianPierce says:

I’m afraid that the game will turn really repetitive and boring really fast. As GTA IV and Assassin’s Creed did.

25. Dood says:

Wow, the politicians here in Germany are going to love this game. Not as game a game though, I’m afraid. But “A game about ripping little innocent girls apart with giant claws”, as they will put it, will make a very good reason to ban violent computer games as a whole. Go dishonest politicians, woo!

26. Dominic White says:

@JulianPierce: It’s nothing like those two games. If it plays anything like Hulk (which it looks nigh identical to in every gameplay video) it’s less of a sandbox, and more of a constant arcadey smashathon in a semi-open environment.

Assassins Creed was a game about slowly climbing on rooftops and occasionally stabbing someone. This game is about being able to run vertically up the side of a skyscraper and wipe out entire military divisions with razor-tentacles.

27. Mort says:

That is ridiculously violent. :o Good stuff!

I saw the video with no sound (at work :() and the part where he´s pointing at the other soldier is hilarious. It seems like he´s bullying him into depression:
    -“You have a huge nose! You! yes you!”
    Then he walks away and someone randomly shoots the poor guy.

28. Monkeybreadman says:

Anyone else think it looks like an old ps2 game? I’m with Julian Pierce on this one. Alex will quickly mutate a large boring face that instantly kills all enemies making any challenge and any reason to play melt into some mutagenic goo.

But it might be fun for a day

29. Dominic White says:

So, is nobody reading the repeated comments that the previous game by the same studio ALSO gave you incredible ( and suspiciously similar) superpowers, yet still was challenging and consistently interesting?

My only concern at this point is whether they’ve managed to keep the balance between making the player feel like a god, and making the enemies feel like a swarming, heavily-armed force with enough weaponry to kill god. They’ve done it once before, so I don’t see them failing here though.

30. Zyrxil says:

Honestly I can’t see how this won’t play exactly like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction with a differently modeled protagonist. I’ll call it right here – the stealth and disguise aspects will be shallow and pointless, and the game will only be fun for an hour or two at a time before the ultra repetitiveness kicks in.

31. Ian says:

The only good day Alec ever had was when he first laid eyes on Tall-Nut.

32. IvanHoeHo says:

It’s nice how the character’s slaughtering civilians everytime the voiceover says ‘enemy’. Wasn’t he supposed to be the good guy? With allies?

If being an asshole were the point from the very start, maybe they should have created a different story/script accordingly.

33. Dominic White says:

Well, the idea is that you’re a morally ambiguous monster with no memory and a constant hunger for human flesh. Still, there’s an achievement for avoiding eating innocents, so you have the option to NOT kill everything and everyone.

It’s just that it’s hard not to, as it looks like a lot of your powers are very wide-area. The same was the case with Hulk – sure, you were fighting the bad-guys, but it was almost impossible to avoid flattening the occasional schoolbus, as you’re so powerful that precision becomes difficult.

34. moyogo says:

Looks like GTA, he’s just mowing down civilians willy nilly while they try to weave a hero story in the background. Also, guess what guys, mowing down civilians is not morally ambiguous.

Okami says:

Also, guess what guys, mowing down civilians is not morally ambiguous.

Whut? But some of them might have been not nice people.. like.. like… like they forgot to feed their little doggy this morning.

36. Nighthood says:

Did nobody else notice the comedy oversized rocket launcher at the beginning?

37. Dominic White says:

@Nighthood – Looks kinda like a Javelin missile launcher or equivalent.

Those things are seriously huge.

38. Tworak says:

low res, liek totally

39. Gravey says:

@Seniath: Then I’m glad they didn’t name him C. Diff, cos that game would be crap, ba-dum-tish.

Outside of House, or at least among health care professionals I know, they just pronounce it em-are-ess-ay, but I’m in Canada. So maybe that should be MRSEh, ba-dum-tish.

40. Shadowcat says:

hmmm… too much spoilerish information in that video, with no notable differences in the gameplay content compared to the previous video I saw here. Ah well. Time to stop looking at articles about this, and just wait for the reviews.

41. Dominic White says:

Oh yeah, there’s been one review in so far – 9/10 from PSW Magazine UK, apparently. Not the best of sources (in fact, they’re downright questionable), but that’s off to a good start at least.

42. Downloads_Plz says:

I think this game has got my attention far more than any other release in the past few years.

I’m hoping when they talk about evolution points being spent on skills, they mean there’s a wide range of skills to choose from and you won’t be able to get them all in one playthrough, hence encouraging replays. Though I’m thinking I’m going to be disappointed and it will be more along the lines of “you get this, then this, then this, til you have everything”. Ah well.

43. Post Maker says:

Dominic, it looks like no one is reading those comments about Hulk: UD and how it kept from getting stale! Perhaps they’re too busy making assumptions.

I’m fairly excited for Prototype, with it being all “Hulk: UD +1” and everything. The mix and match nature of the super-power system looks to be fairly fun too. Neat looking body armour and a long, stretchy, wiggly Gumbi arm? The fact that the arm can cut things is half is really secondary at this point!

44. phil says:

Does anyone else inwardly cringe when they hear the gametrailer voice over man? It’s like hospital radio.

I suspect the game will be more Saint’s Row 2 than Grand Theft Auto 4 – it’ll stay entertaining by dialing up the crazy, though I hope to Christ the protagonist is funny rather than a Spiderman 3/Warrior Within/Squall conflicted tossbag.

45. pepper says:

Throwing a body at a helicopter could make it crash, why? This is a turbine-jet driven helicopter, meaning cold air get sucked in at side A, squeezed bang blow and out on side B. If you would throw heavy stuff in at side A then the bad things happend. Google/youtube/whatever for a birdstrike on a airplane. It shows a thing you dont want to encounter.

46. Meat Circus says:

The Rule of Cool clearly applies to this game.

Anybody complaining about realism needs to question their priorities.

47. Leeks! says:

He surfed on that guy! He surfed his face into the pavement and kicked him into a tank!

!!!

48. teo says:

This game is 59,99€ on Steam

F-O-R-G-E-T .. I-T!

49. Dan says:

ShopTo have it for £27.99.

Y-A-Y!