Deconstruction Area: Crane Wars Alpha Video

By John Walker on May 29th, 2009 at 7:07 pm.

Real construction sites should do this.

There’s two weeks left to go until the next Blurst game, Crane Wars, comes out, and Flashbang Studios have released a video showing it in its alpha stage. Finally the purpose of the game begins to make sense, and it looks like it might be yet another cracking offering.

The video explains that this isn’t necessarily how the final game will play, but it certainly makes a lot more sense than the completely daft video released last week.

You have your plot of land, and a fixed crane. Pick up blocks of construction and stack them, and once you’ve reached enough storeys the building will solidify into something more substantial. Meanwhile on a neighbouring block is a rival crane, doing the same. And because it’s a Blurst game, it’s all about the physics, so you can of course use your crane to smash his stuff to bits. And he yours. Well, watch the video, it explains it all nicely.

, , , .

1. Dood says:

Wow, that actually looks like it could be loads of fun. In Multiplayer that is. Preferably while drunk.

2. The Hammer says:

Hmm, that doesn’t seem polished enough to release in two weeks time! I wonder how much work they can do in that time…

Still, that looks great! As with all the Flashbang games, the music is something special (I hope they release the soundtrack for download), and it looks cheerfully destructive. I hope they move the camera further in when you attack the rival’s buildings, however!

3. Serondal says:

Most games are fun in multieplayer while drunk. The only time I ever enjoyed WoW was when I was drunk. I miss how in EQ When you get drunk the screen gets all jacked up so you can’t even walk around until the effect wears off ;)

4. Marty Dodge says:

I will only play if I can be a scab… non-union all the way for me. Yes, this game does look like something to play several sheets to the wind.

5. Nallen says:

@Dood; Agreed, fun while boozed :)

6. Rei Onryou says:

Goooooood, gooooooood.

7. Matthew says:

@The Hammer: Fear not! You’d be surprised how quickly our games can improve when they’re in the final stretch. The playable version of Blush two weeks out had a single enemy working… ;)

8. Baris says:

@ Matthew: I don’t know whether destroying the neutral buildings was intentional or not, but that coupled with your response was hilarious. Good work!

9. LionsPhil says:

I love the “oh my god” halfway through. Crash. Bang. Massive, accidental property destruction. \o/

Two weeks is a quarter of the schedule? Blimey.

10. Matthew says:

@Baris: It was totally accidental! It happened during a camera switch, which is something we actually need to address (it’s hard to tell what will end up underneath your mouse cursor on a camera change). That, combined with distraction from narrating, and I wrecked half of the city block next to me.

11. DigitalSignalX says:

Most definitely a drinking game… destroy building.. drink.. get 5 stories.. make opponent drink… accidentally destroy all surrounding property … both drink.. etc.

12. PJ says:

Yup, looks (metaphorically, at least) pretty similar to real-life civil engineering.

I actually tried making a similar game myself once (only 2D, without the competitive element and a whole lot crappier), so its nice to see somebody competent has had the same idea. I’d like to see a little more depth in the building part, though; for example having different types of blocks that you can combine in different ways to produce different types of building (which might then provide different bonuses for use against the other player, faster spawning / better blocks etc).

13. A rather confused Bear says:

Meh, not too hyped about this.

14. Dr. Nerfball says:

If only there were tiny civilians fleeing in terror as you crush their flats/ places of work etc. Or if there was some kind of meta-game where you had to fight off impending lawsuits from angry land owners, by crushing yet more of their land (guess which part of the game I’m looking forward to =P).

Oooh, or a neat little newspaper at the end of the level, possibly highlighting the damage you caused (or avoided causing) and/or your victory/ defeat against the scabs… I wonder where I saw that before, it’s unusual for me to have an origional idea…

15. A Delicate Balance says:

Vimeo normally works for me, but all I’m getting is a black screen – same if I view it directly on the vimeo site :(

16. Mr. Sinister says:

Me too. I wonder what’s up with Vimeo?