E3 09: Borderlands Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on May 31st, 2009 at 8:36 pm.

Continuing the coverage of the E3 event in Los Angeles, which somehow seems to have started on the internet almost a week before it’s due to start in the real world, we have the Borderlands trailer. I rather expected them to remake the original trailer in the new engine, but they did not. Shame. And I am totally doing a trailer poll at the end of all this, and not for the best one, for the worst. Who made the biggest waste of corporate airtime this year? You can decide. I think this will be somewhere in the middle, because it does at least show fragments of game footage. And don’t get me started on this increasing footage-free teaser-trailer trend! (Chokes on pickle sandwich, oh God, must post before unconsciousness…)

, , , .

1. Xercies says:

That told me nothing! God i hate moderntrailers now

I’m going unconscious with Jim…

2. ...hmm... says:

just looks like every other generic corridor shooter to me :s

3. Lorc says:

Looks just like every oth- OH MY &*%! IT’S A DIGGER!

4. N says:

Seems like a retarded Rage mostly, and that shotgun looks like it’s Nerf brand for fuck’s sakes.

5. Stupoider says:

Oooh, I’m enjoying the stylised look they chose to go with.

@Hmm: If you think that looks generic, you should’ve seen it before they made the change!

6. Dain says:

Gosh, that told us less about the game than the first teaser..

Also, very much not sold on the new art-style. Just something about the thickness of the lines and suchlike.. it looked better in screenshots.

7. Jim Rossignol says:

I’m enjoying the art style, but I don’t think the trailer sells that, or the game.

8. JohnArr says:

That was slightly better than a bunch of screenshots, but not by much. Still looking forward to this, though.

Also; “…looks like every other generic corridor shooter…”

Reeeaaaally?

9. Reverend Speed says:

Whyfor picture of a giant bagger at end? I can probably do that too:

Dig the look, dig the vehicles, curious about the variety of weapons with randomly assembled characteristics, interested to know if the engine is any good, no indication that the game will be fun yet.

Huhh!

10. Rudolfo says:

Worst music eva! Or they’re just marketing it to the epileptic-fps-dude segment…

11. derFeef says:

Digging the trailer somehow. Would be better called teaser.
    Still one of the most interesting games of E3 this year.

12. dr_demento says:

I make it about two seconds of ingame in the whole of that trailer. It really didn’t sell me on the game (come on, four-player co-op vehicle mayhem RPG shooter? That’s a TOUGH SELL, right there.).

Art style still looks like Crackdown to me…

13. reginald says:

interesting choice of music. I think they’ve got some decent sound designers over at gearbox.

14. Riaktion says:

From the written previews I have read, this game *sounds* really promising, but of course we have all been at this gaming lark too long to put complete faith in previews. That said, I am hoping it turns out to be great and that art style is gorgeous. I love it :o), and nice to see it moving, even if it was only for a few seconds…

15. Alex says:

Depending on my mood, the trailer for the ‘new trilogy’ of Duke games is either the best or the worst ever made. The thing is close to four minutes long and does nothing but slide the names of the games, some old 2D Duke art and some stock explosion footage around the screen.

16. CommanderZx2 says:

That trailer appeared to be completely random and without any point to it at all…

It’s as if someone just stuck random clips together and called it a trailer.

17. Flint says:

Still really awaiting for this, the style (not just the graphical engine but the visual style in general) looks great. Plus having great outdoors in a scifi environment is so refreshing after all the damn murky indoors. Shame about the seemingly heavy emphasis on vehicles but ah well.

18. CakeAddict says:

Can’t wait to see some good Co-op gameplay soon.
    … They ARE still doing that right?

19. Bhazor says:

You think it looks generic? Really?

I’m totally digging the art style, even if it doesn’t work it’ll at least show theres an alternative to the usual “Grey pipe factory at night” setting of most other big budget shooters. Definitely a big step up from the original style.

Also Diggers and Dune Buggies! Surely thats enough to get the inner 5 year old brumming.

20. Meat Circus says:

OMG BAGGER = ME SO HORNY.

21. jim's mum says:

Is that pickles as in gherkins or Branston Pickle? Either way is that a suitable sandwich filling on its own? We worry about you Jim.

22. Turin Turambar says:

I suppose this is just a teaser for the real E3 trailer coming in two or three days…

23. Satsuz says:

Jim’s Mum: You may not be aware of this, Ma’am, but pickle sandwiches are the food of manly champions of the universe, and are a source of great power. Don’t be surprised when you fail to recognize your own son, due to the Great Transformation that is taking place.

24. Arca says:

This trailer is like a baby; short and sweet, but distinctly lacking in bite.

Doesn’t really sell the game, heh.

25. Tom says:

I don’t get why everyone hates borderlands so much? I love the art style (for the most part), and the small descriptions I have heard sound very promising, an open ended-space-planet-mercenary-thing… ok well it sounded better when I read it from the more eloquent words of a games journalist, but still…

26. Rosti says:

Let’s lay an elaborate trap for Mr Gillen (presuming he returns safely):

Modern Trailers Are Rubbish.

27. Lewis says:

If I’d have been in charge of the art direction for Fallout 3, I’d have drawn Borderlands.

28. Riaktion says:

@Tom

Not everyone hates it….

29. Golden says:

Nice art style, I enkoyed PoP for just that reason, refreshing. However this trailer has zero substance. Maybe more to come?

30. David says:

Trailer? Hardly… I’m pretty disappointed. I’m still digging the art style, but I’d like to see some actual gameplay footage please!

31. Psychopomp says:

Trailer just fell a little flat…

Though, I’m a sucker for that particular brand of electronica.

32. moyogo says:

Well it’s post-apocalyptic, but at least they still have RPG-Standard-Self-Opening-Chests-With-Goodies!

33. binkbankbonk says:

…hmm… says:
    just looks like every other generic corridor shooter to me :s

huh?
    Theres not one corridor in the trailer, its an open world
    rpg elements
    4player drop-in/out co-op
    millions of weapon combonations
    vehicle combat
    …yes, very generic

gah you guys are expecting wayyy too much out of pre-e3 trailers

34. Ben Abraham says:

It’s like Prince of Persia the FPS.

35. The Fanciest of Pants says:

Looks cool to me. All this did was show me what the new art style looks like in motion.. which is the only thing I didn’t really know about it to be honest.

The old dev walkthroughs showing combat, the random guns and the co-op capabilities filled me in on some of the gameplay details ages ago. Assuming they havent changed how the thing plays.

Day one purchase for me. It had my at co-op.

36. Quests says:

the visual style is absolutely embarassing.
    reminds of XIII, a very lousy insipid gamey.

plz do away with cell shading, people: face it, it just looks dumb. :)

37. Baris says:

@Quests: Maybe you should try to be a little bit open minded, might make you come off as less of an ignorant prick.

38. Quests says:

sorry for blowing against your wind, benito.

How’s the jews exterminating business faring, these days, btw?

39. BlueBallz says:

Wut no vagina monster? Awww….

And, *yawn*, looks like Rage on an overclocked video card about to go nuke.

40. Muzman says:

Where were all these skeptics when that first (basically ugly) screenshot of the new effects came out? Everyone loved that (except, like, two people). Now all these better and more detailed (and moving) looks at it and everyone hates it.
    What’s the matter with you people? Yes you’re all the same people. Don’t come crying to me about how you’re all individuals. Everyone does that. That’s how I know you’re all the same.

Anyway. Bucket Wheel Reclaimer of DOOOOOOOOM!
    If you can pilot one of man’s largest erections into battle with a giant vagina monster, this game will be written about for decades.

41. dartt says:

Having a Bagger 288 look-a-like appear in your trailer earns it a few points, other than that the only aspect of interest is that it demonstrates the new art style.

It might be an interesting piece for RPS to do some day, examine what makes a great game trailer and why; on a scale from generic-o FPS (checklist of shotgun, rocket launcher, sniper rifle with metal sound track) to Valve (Aperture Science, Meet The Spy).

42. Ashurbanipal says:

Way too brief, even for a teaser, but what I did see looked awesome.

Not sure what’s up with everyone’s grumbly mood.

43. James T says:

You want a pointless trailer? The Agency.

Some of those Borderlands environments look pretty nice and explorable; if the talk of RPG elements is more than just lip service — and it’s not written by the mental degenerates who came up with the term “Concept style” — I’m interested.

44. SwiftRanger says:

This better be a teaser for something more idd, if they’re willing to give away so few scenes then it’s due for 2011 I am afraid.

45. Supraliminal says:

When I first heard of Borderlands, I was excited. Half a million guns, a vast planet full of unfriendly faces, nicely working co-op…. But that was a long ago.
    Nowadays nearly every shooter has the same goals or precisely the same goals, Rage that is.
    Impatiense is not a virtue for a (PC)gamer.

46. Ian says:

Gosh, that was a fairly uninspiring trailer.

47. Optimaximal says:

Wut no vagina monster? Awww….

It’s in there… the PCZone preview a few months ago had it in full cel-shaded glory *cringe*

48. TheSombreroKid says:

hate to be pernickety but they havn’t got a new engine, it’s just a couple of new shaders (from a programming perspective).

49. SirKicksalot says:

There’s no vagina monster, but the lady has a damn fine ass.

50. Quests says:

When will they learn?
    Graphics must be detailed but humble, down on earth.