EA To Publish APB, Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on June 2nd, 2009 at 9:15 am.

EA have announced that they’ll be publishing Realtime Worlds’ gang-war MMO, All Points Bulletin. Creator Dave Jones is keen to compare the game to GTA or Call Of Duty. “WoW’s great, and it’s attracting huge numbers, but let’s face it there’s probably still more players on GTA and Call of Duty in terms of online,” Jones told Gamasutra. It’s looking pretty slick, and it’s hard to see it not being awesome. (Jones is, after all, a key brain behind the original GTA concept, and a pretty distinguished designer in the subsequent years.) The game is due “early 2010″ – and is PC-only, apparently. Woo!

PRESS RELEASE

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS – News) and Realtime Worlds, Inc. announced today that they have entered an exclusive marketing and distribution agreement for North America and Europe that will bring the highly-anticipated All Points Bulletin™ (APB) to PC in early 2010. Founded by industry veteran David Jones, creator of Lemmings, Grand Theft Auto 1&2 and Crackdown, Realtime Worlds’ latest project takes the universal theme of Criminals and Enforcement and brings it to a persistent, open world multiplayer setting in a modern, crime-ridden city.

“After a few years of quietly working on APB I’m extremely excited to be able to show it publically for the first time,” said David Jones, Founder and Creative Director of Realtime Worlds. “To also be able to announce our marketing and distribution agreement with EA Partners at the same time is the cream on top. It’s very evident that EA Partners are clearly in-sync with our vision for APB and between us we aim to ensure gamers understand why it’s unique, and share our excitement.”

“Throughout his career David Jones has continually forged new creative paths in interactive entertainment,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager, EA Partners. “David and the team at Realtime Worlds are set to do it once again with APB. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to partner with them in introducing online persistence to 3rd person, open-world action games and defining a new category within the genre.”

APB is a new breed of online game, set in a persistent living, breathing open-world urban environment where fame and fortune awaits all players. Some players will achieve this by feeding on the city, its people and its businesses…the Criminals. Some will live by a higher code and instead feed on the criminals and their organizations…the Enforcers. This dynamic where players become the core content for other players is one of the many unique features of APB. Its deep, rich customization system provides players with the ability to completely personalize their identity. Looks, clothing, vehicles and even music, all to astonishing detail and quality.

For more information on APB please visit http://www.apb.com/.

About Realtime Worlds

Founded in 2002 by Creative Director David Jones alongside gaming industry veterans Ian Hetherington and Tony Harman, Realtime Worlds is one of the largest and most successful independent game developers in the world. With an exceptionally talented staff of more than 230, the company’s experienced teams have a tremendous history of creating some of the world’s bestselling video games, including the global hit franchises “Lemmings” and “Grand Theft Auto.” Realtime Worlds’ first game, Crackdown, launched exclusively on Xbox 360 in early 2007, and won multiple awards including BAFTA and Develop Industry Excellence awards on the way to sales of 1.5 million copies. For more information on Realtime Worlds, visit www.realtimeworlds.com.

, , , .

1. teo says:

PC exclusives yay
    Doesn’t look terribly exciting though

2. Norskov says:

I just want to play with the character creator..

3. Larington says:

Looks interesting, but I confess, I’m not convinced by it at the moment, need a better idea of how it plays.

4. Schmung says:

ohh, I’ve had half an eye on APB ever since it was announced. I only hope that it lives up to its obvious potential. Hopefully we’ll get to learn a bit more about how it actually works at some point in the nearish future.

5. bansama says:

All this does is remind me of the original APB games….

6. clive dunn says:

Back in the days of arcades this was by far my favourite game. Many a 10p lost to this machine. So i’m curious about this but wish it was a faithful top down remake of the original. Ah well, generic GTA nonsense will have to do i s’pose.

7. Heliocentric says:

The character creation tool better have a thigh width slider. I don’t think I’m ready for that much jelly.

8. Markoff Chaney says:

As long as I can make my bald biker babe with big thighs I don’t mind.

9. sigma83 says:

Heliocentric; How the _hell_ do those qualify as fat?

10. distended says:

From what I hear, it’s not PC only, but coming on 360 too.

11. MA6200 says:

Looks pretty cool, but I’m not clear on how it’s a MMO with 100 players in a persistent world? Is it match based gameplay with saved stats? Perhaps he pulled a Dr. Evil?

“One… Hundred… Players!!!”

12. Heliocentric says:

Look at *him* in the middle. he’s totally wider at the thighs than his chest, if i’m going to make myself i need a weedy leg setting… What did you think i meant?

13. Doctor Doc says:

It there going to be a extra fee for playing and not just buying the game, like WoW? Because in that case I’ll have to pass.

14. James T says:

I just want to play with the character creator.

Haha, yeah.

I miiiight want to give the game a shot, not ’til I know how it works tho’ (obviously).

15. Rei Onryou says:

Must try that editor. It looks so powerful. If that’s any indication of the game’s quality, then it’ll be worth playing. One can hope.

16. simon says:

I was hoping for this to be an MMO like EvE, ie a couple of hundred thousand players on-line at any one time. If it’s going to be SSNOPO (stupidly small number of . . oh you get it) then I’m not going to bother. I want an alternative reality I can immerse myself in, and not doing that thing from last year where I have to look for other people to join an instance with.

17. Bananaphone says:

Is the combat real-time?

18. ChampionHyena says:

Can I admit my crime of hubris against the PC world?

I LOVED Crackdown. LOVED it.

I’ve been exposed to the history-making genre shattering glory that is Grand Theft Auto IV, and while I was drinking in the sights and sounds of the living breathing Liberty City, I was quietly wondering in the back of my head when the game was supposed to get fun. Not so for Crackdown.

Yes, the storyline blew, and the world was cartoonish, but that put the focus all the more on the game. If I can have THAT kind of experience (admittedly, probably not with throwing cars and jumping over buildings, but whatever) on my PC with 99 other players…

I’m gonna go pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-register for the beta.

19. Nick says:

@Bananaphone

Yes it is.

20. Stupoider says:

I’m looking forward to this! I need something to replace my MMO slot after I quit WoW. :)

21. Black Mamba says:

An Xbox 360 version of this game is being worked on but its not as far along as the PC version so don’t be surprised when it’s announced.

Alternatively MS are probably waiting to see if APB is success on PC before allowing Xbox 360 version, wouldn’t look good for first 360 MMO to flop.

22. Barky says:

I couldn’t tell the difference between the goods and the bads.

23. Smurfy says:

It’s an MMO, of course it’s PC only.

24. distended says:

‘Today, at the EA press conference, it was announced that Electronic Arts will distribute Realtime Worlds’ All Points Bulletin (APB), the urban-themed MMO from Dave Jones, the creator of Lemmings, Grand Theft Auto and Crackdown.

Though the press release doesn’t indicate that the game will appear on other systems than PC, a spokesperson told TeamXbox, “We’re not giving details out at the moment, but it is being developed for Xbox 360.” ‘

But Black Mamba could be right of course, they might just see how it does on PC first.

25. That Guy says:

It’s PC online now? Then it looks like my money goes to Champions Online.

26. Radiant says:

This and that secret world game are the only two moes that I have the least bit interest in.
    Mainly because I don’t want to pretend I’m an elf.

Unless they do something ridiculous with the items like Uzi’s giving you +12 attacking points.

27. Radiant says:

Yet I’m also totally going to walk around in bra and panties.

28. Heliocentric says:

And in the game?

29. Sonic Goo says:

Radiant: might want to check out The Agency as well, then.

Not sure if they have the bra and panties option, though.

30. ACESandElGHTS says:

@Schmung: I too have had my eye on this since… 2005 I think is when they first announced it. It must’ve been a mere concept at that point. I’ve nominated it for best vaporware of 200x ever since.

@Distended: This game is too cool not to be on 360; I’ll be a little hurt if it isn’t. GTA meets WoW would be so cool to have on 360. Sucks that Xbox hasn’t had a MMO title yet.

31. Kadayi says:

The character creator is utterly astounding (its worth checking out the earlier footage of it from last year) , but I’m ambivalent as to whether the game itself has legs. I like the idea of a much smaller tighter gameverse with less players, one in where you recognise people by their actual physical appearance, not by a name tag floating above their head. However I’m concerned as to just how much straight ‘cops and robbers’ you can play before boredom sets in. Also there is the constant issue of team/side balance. The trad MMO favours the hardcore, and with such small numbers it could be all to easy for one side to become wholly dominant and kill the game. Still its on my radar as one to watch .

32. Nighthood says:

The fact that it will be on 360 implies it might not have a monthly fee. Happyface.

This really does look good though, and by the looks of things you can make really gothy looking folk on it, so that’ll keep me busy for a while. And to be honest, free play GTA4 is good, and this can only be better.

33. Grey_Ghost says:

I’ve never been interested in any GTA style game, but this has piqued my interest.

That character creator appear to blow away anything say… Cryptic has done so far.

34. Bluto says:

Bear in mind, to the folks who might suggest they’re simply trying make some dough from the GTA idea, that Realtime Worlds core team includes most of the people who came up with, developed and coded the original GTA as part of Rockstar…