Ultra-Spider-Man: Just Cause 2

By Alec Meer on June 2nd, 2009 at 11:52 am.

I uttered “oh come on” at least four times during this footage of the sequel to Avalanches’ gloriously stupid GTA-with-a-parachute sandbox actioner. But they were, I assure you, happy “oh come ons”. Just Cause 2 clearly intends to push plausibility far past breaking point, turning hero Rico into a fully-fledged superhero who can do whatever a spider can, but without the fruity suit and restrictive moral code. Take a gander at his absurd parachute and grappling hook skills below. Grappling a moving plane while in free-fall! He’s some guy, that Rico. Some guy.

That’ll do. That’ll do. There is a genuine sense of escalation to a lot of this year’s E3 games. Of course, we’re all pretty well guarded against the hype vampires these days, but given we’re several years into the lifespan of the current console generation – which, for better or worse, does dictate an awful lot of what we get on PC – these promises have to be based at least partly on reality, not on wishful thinking about the power of future-consoles. If Just Cause 2 really can pull off the spectacular free-form carnage it’s suggesting, it could be a surprise action classic.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. waste_manager says:

I can’t wait for this. It’s just stupid fun.

2. Bear says:

Spy vs his teacher? Sounds a bit…cliche……right?

3. phuzz says:

Provided you think of it as a superhero game without the back story, this looks like a real laugh.
    Mind you, I said pretty much the same thing about Mercenaries 2…

4. Bananaphone says:

Looks fun. Hopefully there will be more to do this time round (and no more wonky driving mechanics).

5. Bongo says:

Looks rather funny. The prodecural generation stuff they have in this game is pretty cool.

6. Ian says:

The original was an absolute joy. If they can make the quests fun this time around and the sandbox tomfoolery is as good then this could be a game that makes me very happy in my special place.

7. Debaser says:

Anyone else look at the title and think Just Coz? It gives the whole game a far more anarchic tone.

8. PC Monster says:

Despite the problems with gameplay, graphics etc, I really enjoyed Just Cause. It had a great sense of presence, and the scale of the islands was fantastic. Sequel looks just as mad, just as fun – here’s hoping they’ve ironed out the kinks.

9. MonkeyMonster says:

Holy Physics Anomaly Batman. Surely this should be called Mass(dowhateveryouwantwiththe)Effect2?

10. MacBeth says:

Indeed. Momentum/inertia/gravity appears to be entirely optional, which just seems a bit old-fashioned these days. By all means have crazy action, but temper it with at least a little bit of physics?

11. Richard says:

Using the parachute on the ground is very MDK2.

Similar plot to Far Cry 2 but looks like a lot more fun!

12. M_the_C says:

I’ve really been looking forward to this. The first was great in its ‘do whatever you want’ attitude, and I don’t know of any other game that lives up to the parachuting.

I was slightly concerned when I saw this video, there are a lot of nice additions (no longer just one position on a vehicle) but the grappling all seemed a bit too quick. It seemed more like he was jumping from section to section rather than free-form.

I’m sure it’ll be good though.

13. CakeAddict says:

I enjoyed the first one although that included more just toying around then actually playing the game itself.
    Overall the game wasn’t really that good but I just loved the reusable parachute and that.. hookshot.. thingy.

14. Dead Fish says:

This game features one of the greatest I-need-this-IRL inventions ever: A backpack with infinite parachutes!

15. James T says:

Hmm! Must try the original. I think I confused it with Boiling Point and didn’t want the bother…

16. Legionary says:

There’s a lot to suggest that the game’ll be done well. The previous one is still a lot of fun and is still gorgeous. It suffered by being a bit buggy but I think it’s an overlooked gem.

If they can add enough polish, there might just be cause for celebration ahead. (Groan.)

17. Pemptus says:

So, it’s kinda like Mercaneries 2 but not shit? Plus the cool parachute and a Bionic Commando grappling hook? Yeah, should be fun for a while.

18. RacerX says:

Uhhh, is this the sequel to Bionic Commando?

19. SirKicksalot says:

Inb4 Johnny Rico

20. Rei Onryou says:

Free-fall, grapple jet, surf said jet, free-fall again, deploy parachute, pull rocket launcher out of back pocket, blow up radar in mid-air, land safely on vehicle, hijack said vehicle, drive off cliff.

DO WANT!

21. Baris says:

@Debaser: Just Coz actually works brilliant!

22. nakke says:

ENDS
    JUSTIFY MEANS

23. Ian says:

“Why did you hijack that plane, jump out, grapple to a helicopter, climb in, fly it around, aim it at a bridge before diving out, paraglide behind a car, take the wheel, run another car off the road, drive the car off a cliff and then jump out and parachute onto that beach before stealing a motorcycle and riding off into the sunset?”

“Just ’cause.”

24. cullnean says:

first one is free to play on gametap

http://www.gametap.com/ go play and then smile

nothing beats parachuting on to a beach killing some bads till they die of it and then ignoring the story and stealing a small plane, helicopter, milatary transporter and a gun ship one after the other without touching the ground.

then freefall into a volacno only to find a strip club filled with facist’s, kill them all base jump off said volcano and glide away to saftey

all in the first 15 mins of play.

ps, NAZI IN A GYROSCOPE!

25. Fede says:

With “ends justify means” they seem to be really saying that to obtain the most funny game possible they completely ignored physics. Which, I think, in this case seems to be a good decision :D

26. Ian says:

Oh, and I loved them for letting us get vehicles airdropped in.

27. Jad says:

Well, cullnean kind of beat me to this, but nonetheless, for your edification, my thoughts while playing the beginning of the first game:

Okay, so I’m some kind of secret agent, sent to destabilize and overthrow this island government. So, presumably I’ll be covertly inserted in: smuggled aboard some freighter, fake passports, all that, right? Hmmm, apparently I’m parachuting in. Seems sort of obvious, but okay, maybe I’ll be landing in some remote jung– nope a beach. With guys on it, shooting at me! Has my cover been blown?! Doesn’t matter, must shoot them, maybe I can get away and hide. Okay, now I’m getting away, but I’m stationed behind a machine gun, mounted on the back of a truck, blowing up cars following me. Does the CIA usually enter a country this way? Oh man now the army is after me! Die, die, you bastards! Ha ha! Uh-oh, a helicopter — yes! I shot it down! Explosions, whee! Holy crap, American F-16s just saved my secret agent ass by swooping down and blowing up a bridge. This game is awesome.

Later on, I got a little annoyed at the awkward controls and the general clunkiness, but man, that intro was the perfect example of a videogame knowing exactly what kind of game it wanted to be, and letting you know it upfront.

28. superking208 says:

I was accidentally listening to some early Job For A Cowboy and found that deathcore makes parachutey, grapple-happy Hollywood shenanigans just ball-quakingly awesome.

29. Moonracer says:

Only played the demo for this a while ago, but am looking forward to this one. I think a lot of sandbox games pass on adding lots of fun/random things to do for polishing up a linear storyline and scripted missions.

30. Funky Badger says:

Mercenaries 2 was great, and this looks just like it (plus a grappling hook and parachute, but possibly with less chicken-suits)

31. psyk says:

I hope they fixed the graphic glitch when you reached top speed even though it was fun driving in to another dimension.

32. ferret825 says:

Scorpion Wins! Loving the grapple action.

33. hrmf says:

DO WANT!

!!11
    I fell in love with that game after watching the trailer.
    (The number one reason I disliked GTA 4 was the lack of parachuting)

34. negativedge says:

This looks fucking grand. Game of the show so far.

35. Tim says:

“But my target… is the man… I love.”
    That’s what he should have said, I was convinced he was about to.

This game looks ridiculous, maybe it’ll be wonderful if it doesn’t take itself too seriously.

36. Meatloaf says:

Hm. It does rather look inspired by Bionic Commando.

Hope this turns out as good as it looks.

37. unique_identifier says:

c’mon! c’mon! c’mon! let’s go jet surfin’ !

edit: @tim, hahahaha

38. Marcin says:

Loved the original. Still the only game I ever 100%-ed (360). It was just that compelling to fly/drive/freefall over this ridiculously huge amount of terrain.

Even if the combat and story were all over the place. Hopefully if they can fix the combat a little bit and leave everything else alone … I’ll probably buy 2 copies just like the first one.

39. Jonathan says:

I can’t think of a game I more wanted to like but just couldn’t besides Just Cause. I’m rooting for them to get 2 Just Right, and accomplish whatever the heck they were trying to do with the first game. I really tried to love it, I swear.

40. Johnny Go-Time says:

I’d sure be embarrassed if I were the Bionic Commando guys…This just beat them at their own game x10!!!!

41. Tunips says:

I played the demo of the first one. Didn’t like the controls, got lost and never touched it again. May have to revise that decision.
    Also, this engine is on display in TheHunter, the best going-for-a-walk-in-the-woods sim I’ve come across.

42. me says:

This games needs more brighter/over saturated colors.
    The present ones don’t hurt my eyes enough…

43. Grey_Ghost says:

I assume there was a Just Cause 1?

EDIT: Just watched a trailer for the first one, looks just as over-the-top as this one.

44. Jochen Scheisse says:

I hated Just Cause 1. The concept leaves room for a glorious game, somewhere between Gothic 2, Tropico and GTA. The execution was a mediocre GTA clone. Soooo…no thanks.

45. Tomble says:

I loved Just Cause, it was wonderful to look at, and a big open sandbox of a game. Scouting around for base jumping locations, racing about in cars and all the other over the top fun was more interesting to me than most of the missions.

46. Snuffy (the Evil) says:

Huh. Looks like what we hoped the Mercenaries 2 grappling hook would be like.

I wonder if we can use it to scale buildings… and swing between them, of course.

47. Hmm-Hmm. says:

This could be great fun, indeed, but I’m not expecting it to be. Then again, maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment on this story