E3 09: The Agency Developer Walkthrough

By Jim Rossignol on June 4th, 2009 at 7:17 am.

We’ve not been paying much attention to Sony Online Entertainment’s new MMO, spy-shooter The Agency, but since 2009 is clearly Year Of The Spy, we thought we’d best post up some of the E3 09 insight. In this case it’s a GameTrailer’s-acquired developer walkthrough, posted below. The game definitely has a whiff of City Of Heroes to it, in that the public areas are “City Of Spies”, but there’s nevertheless something quite refreshing about seeing someone playing real-time FPS (or TPS) combat in an MMO instance. It’s going to take some successful hands-on time with this to really convince me, however, as it does just seem a little lightweight. Being an MMO, I do wonder where the grind will come from, and how cookie-cutter those missions are really going to be. Anyway, go take a look.

, , .

1. Tei says:

Announcer:
    [Blue Spy][In Red house]

It looks different for a MMO, and coop for a spy game is something new (to me).

Dr Kessler is my new favorite crazy evil doctor.

Also, nice crate on that screenshot…

2. Ziv says:

looks neat, wonder how much it’ll cost. if it ain’t too pricey i might consider it.

3. Rich_P says:

Hopefully SOE will manage The Agency better than they did PlanetSide. MMOs with genuine FPS combat are in short supply at the moment.

4. Inanimotion says:

Concept seems interesting.
    The FPS gameplay seems lacking in comparison to most FPS-only games. But if the MMO element makes up for it it could be worth it.

5. Ian says:

This is doing less for me than I expected, but there’s a wee while yet.

6. The Fanciest of Pants says:

is it just me or did that look super bland? I’m interested in what they’re trying to do however, so keeping an eye on it.

7. Sonic Goo says:

So we have the stun grenades, I think I saw a sort of equivalent of the glue gun (when the guy froze in place)… any news on whether there will be bananas or robot kitties? I want NOLF the MMO!

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yeah, looks really bland to me, too. Seems to shallow to keep someone occupied for too long.. but then, it’s not as if depth is needed in an MMO for it to do well.

Not to mention the fact that this is just a video showing of a few bits an’ pieces.. yadda-yadda.

9. Tom says:

I’ve stayed quite so far, but I feel the need to vent. “Cookie cutter” – I couldn’t hate that phrase more if I tried.
    What ever happened to the word generic?!

10. MrBejeebus says:

this game is just “meh” for me, dont really care about it, if it does look to be getting good ill look into it, much more an offline rpg person, so it seems alpha protocal for me.

like im getting mass effect 2 instead of old republic.

11. fucrate says:

Anyone know if there’s any difficulty scaling? MMO’s don’t generally have easy/hard type difficulty choices, but most of us will probably get bored with an FPS tuned for the average WOW player. It’d be nice if you could set the challenge at least for the instanced parts or something…

12. Tei says:

@fucrate: Most MMO’s lets you chose what missions to do, what mobs to attack. If you feel the game is too easy, you can enter a 90 men raid and kill “FLUFFLY-DESTROYER OF WORLDS” at level one with a wood sword and broken shield. On this one? no idea, but I suppose you can still pick mission +10 levels higher than your level, or attack bosses of random really high level.

13. Meatloaf says:

Hmm… a spy-em-up MMO. Interesting. Looks like a good time, I suppose.

Between this and Global Agenda, and Huxley it looks like we’ll have our fair share of MMO-shooty-games. This is a good thing.