Metal Gear Solid 5 On PC. Woo?

By Alec Meer on June 5th, 2009 at 5:54 pm.

HELLO MY NAME IS DAVE ROBO-CHIN

There isn’t much love for most of the MGS series in Castle Shotgun, but of course it has its fans and they’re totally entitled to that, regardless of the fact that we’ll eventually round them up and drown them all in the river. The news that the upcoming new’un, MGS: Rising – which apparently stars some half-robot ladyboy or something – is departing its traditional Sony-only shores for the PC (360 too) is a little surprising, though. I don’t believe we’ve had a Metal Gear since a port of number 2 yonks ago, so it’s odd for it to suddenly come back now.

I guess Rising is a new age for the series, seeing as it doesn’t star Solid Snake this time around and lacks a number in the title (I insist on giving it one nevertheless, because I’m an idiothole like that). All that cutscene jaffery might well drive me spare, but it’s always a happy day when the PC gets treated to something it’s normally denied. We don’t get much Konami stuff around these parts, so hopefully this is the first of many. Some footage’n'that below, if you’re curious.

That means literally almost nothing to me. Apparently Raiden… is baaaaaack, however. One of these days I should probably just head over to Wikipedia and work out what the hell MGS’ labyrinthine plot is about now, but frankly I’m a little scared to do so.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Taill4f4r says:

Was he expecting a reaction to no Solid Snake? I felt bad for him. :/

2. O.DOGG says:

I’m quite excited that this one is coming to the PC shores. Been a fan of the series for many years and I might get a PS3 just to play the fourth one.
    It seems to me the PC has been getting some love from publishers with many other games being ported over as well. Looks like someone is finally learning that the PC is a profitable platform.

3. Gap Gen says:

Raiden? Baaaaaack? But how?!

4. Dominic White says:

I’m expecting this to be a very different take on the MGS series. Raiden is a full-on cyborg ninja now, of the ‘ruins armies of tank-sized robots in seconds’ variety, rather than ‘sneaks past guards and stabs the occasional guy’ sort.

Should be fun. Even better that it’s coming to PC.

5. bitkari says:

Not sure if want

[insert appropriate comic animal jpg here]

6. Bhazor says:

Awww, poor Kojima was expecting a bigger response at the start. But he’s seriously trying to make Raiden into a character that isn’t hateful.

As for PC version? Well a new huge budget game in the shops isn’t going to do any harm.

But will someone please get him a decent editor, you could hack out about 35-55% of the MGS 4 cutscenes without losing any actual character development or plot.

Also “Lightning Bolt Action”? Are we sure this won’t just be a weird spin off like Acid?

7. Benny says:

Im not sure but i have a feeling that the robot lady person is actually a robot guy person. But then it is japanese and they have to accomadate for all those crazy girls and their Yaoi…

8. jsutcliffe says:

I haven’t played this series since MGS 2, but I enjoyed that one greatly even with the horribly mangled PC controls (psst Konami — we have these “mouse” things we can aim with) and I love stealth games, so I’ll be interested to see how this goes.

I also echo the sentiments welcoming console-type titles to the PC. I hope this trend continues. Last Remnant and Dead Space have been satisfying my gaming needs lately.

9. EyeMessiah says:

Lucky man. She’s a honey.

10. Psychopomp says:

I, for one, welcome our LIGHTING BOLT ACTION overlords.

11. Nick says:

Adam & Joe reference?

12. Simon Jones says:

I quite enjoyed MGS 1 back in the day, as it was a good, simple stealth game with a fun mechanic. Although I seem to recall even then finding the story absolutely laughable.

MGS 2 I only managed to get about an hour into, however, due to the really odd cutscene/gameplay balance. If the cutscenes and story were of a decent quality it might have been worthwhile, but if I’m going to watch badly written b-movie fare I’d rather it only last an hour and a half and start someon like Bruce Campbell.

There series seemed to fold in on itself in an astonishingly self-indulgent manner and I haven’t really paid much attention to it since. Maybe I’m doing the creator a disservice, and perhaps he’s got better with later installments, but he generally seems like a dodgy filmmaker that’s accidentally ended up making games instead.

13. waffles says:

Im guessing “lightning bolt action” means this will play like that dream sequence in MGS3.
    Also, i think there’s a summary of the entire MGS plot in narrated cutscenes or something alec, which is good for a plane trip or two.

14. nabeel says:

I’m happy about it, at least. I don’t own any recent consoles but I’ve always liked the MGS series.

15. jalf says:

Haha, love the *one* person clapping at the end of that clip… :D

I’ve never ever played a MGS game, so perhaps this is going to be my entrance to the series… Of course, she (assuming Raiden is a girl, which I wouldn’t know) does look better than Solid Snake, so it has my approval.

16. Psychopomp says:

Raiden…
    Raiden is a man.

Don’t worry, Kojima very aware of how feminine Raiden looks. There’s even one scene in two where a man goes to molest “her”, only to say “YOU’RE A MAN?”

17. Markoff Chaney says:

I loved the first MGS. Then Splinter Cell pretty much beat it over its head a bit after MGS2 showed it really wasn’t all that and I left for darker sneaking cornes, nary to look back. Seeing as this one makes it to the PC though, I might pick it back up, gameplay permitting. Good to see that we are getting quite a bit more of the console titles, even if the new Castelvania isn’t probably coming our way…

18. Crane says:

@Psychopomp: “There’s even one scene in two where a man goes to molest “her”, only to say “YOU’RE A MAN?””

I fail to see why this is reason not to worry.
    Also, just FYI RPS, this isn’t actually MGS5. It’s a sorta spinoff thingy, not the fifth main game.

19. Freudian Trip says:

MGS2 was my first true ‘import’ game in that I went to New York and bought it and took it home, installed it, found out I couldn’t use the mouse then realised that it didn’t tell you if 2 of your buttons conflicted so my shoot button caused me to attack the nasty masked man then lay on the floor. I never got off the boat.

I imagine this one will play much better [than MGS2] on the PC. MGS4 (from what little I’ve seen) looked more like a 3rd person action game.

20. Dominic White says:

I’m fairly sure that there won’t BE a Metal Gear Solid 5, what with Solid Snake being in no state to sneak anywhere as of the end of MGS4.

But that’s fine. It’s time for a new character and a new direction, and it looks like they’re going for high-speed violence with Raiden this time round, which is fine by me.

Kojimas last fast-action game, Zone of the Enders 2, was *excellent*, so I have faith in the guy.

21. Tom says:

What’s with the hate for Metal Gear Solid? I thought they were excellent games! Don’t tell me you hate Final Fantasy too?? :(

22. Tom says:

(that was an abysmal trailer though)

23. Hermit says:

@Jalf
    1. It’s a man.
    2. Specifically, it’s this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcOkwys57Y

I played through MGS2 and thought it wasn’t a patch on the first one, and I couldn’t get into MGS3 at all. Never happy with a game which puts action I could be controlling into cutscenes.

24. Will Tomas says:

Why won’t the angry PS fans just let Koijima be? The number of times he’s tried to quit making these games, and the number of times he ends up being dragged back in is just depressing.

I suspect his sporadic ennui with the whole thing is why it ended up a postmodern parody of itself. But I agree about the cutscenes.

25. SteveHatesYou says:

Metal Gear Solid: Rising is a very clumsy title. Why didn’t they just call it Metal Gear Raiden? The title change would make sense, since this is supposed to be a departure from the main series.

26. Awkwardness says:

Felt sorry for the guy at the beginning too. Reminds me of when Jet Li was on Leno and the audience didn’t laugh when he was making jokes. And it sounded like there was one person clapping at the end.

Trailer is meh. No gameplay. Creepy old guy saying “Rising” is creepy.

27. Ian says:

PC needs more interactive movies like Metal Gear Solid.

28. pkt-zer0 says:

ZoE2 was excellent because Kojima had little to do with it.

And on that note, more ZoE, less Metal Gear spinoff thingies please. A new Snatcher would be fine, too.

29. Hoernchen says:

“half-robot ladyboy” – nicely said, sir. No idea what a raiden is, but yay, a game ! A pc game !

30. Pavel says:

I will never forgive Kojima for not bringing MGS 3 and 4 to PC.I love the first two games on PC.

31. DSX says:

Going to chalk this up as “worst lazy developer console port of 2010″ already, sight unseen.

32. TheSombreroKid says:

I will never forgive Kojima for learning to breathe.

33. Dominic White says:

Now this is just getting silly. When a PC flagship title (lets use, say, Half-Life 2 as an example) comes to consoles, it’s hailed with cheers and joy.

When a massively popular console flagship series comes to PC? Outright dismissal or even bubbling anger.

34. Joseph says:

Yeah I really hope they do a proper PC version and not the worst port ever made like for MGS2.

35. subedii says:

Everyone’s already talked about the series trademark overlong cutscenes, so I’ll skip that.

I played and enjoyed MGS 1 on the PC (well, PS1 at first, bought it on PC later). Despite the melodrama it was a pretty entertaining game, Kojima knows how to work a set piece or boss fight.

MGS 2 though, well… that game was just bizarre in every category you’d care to mention. Where MGS tried to tell a largely self-contained action-espionage story, MGS2 went out there, way, way out there with its plot, introducing a hundred different threads all spinning around each other, gossamer strings knotting themselves into a tangled ball that just left us with more questions than answers by the end. The game’s penchant for breaking the fourth wall wouldn’t have been so bad except it did so at really bizarre times so you were never really sure (or at least I wasn’t) which parts were just self-referential parody and which were supposed to be actual parts of the plot.

*Minor Spoiler explanation follows*

The game is basically set inside a virtual “simulation”, but as far as I could tell, it was never made clear just what aspects were or weren’t part of that simulation, or even when the simulation took over from the “real” gameplay events. When you add in breaking the fourth wall you’ve really got no clue what’s going on.

*End Spoilers*

From what I understand MGS 3 was the best in the series and much more understandable, and MGS 4 worked hard to resolve everything that was left unexplained in number 2.

Personally I’m not so sure about jumping into the series again. In some ways the series still knows how to show us cool stuff, but it’s usually way overburdened with overlong cutscenes and melodrama masquerading as poignancy. On the other hand, if the gameplay’s solid, then it could still be fun, in a cheesy way.

EDIT: Dominic White: This really hasn’t got anything to do with console / PC superiority. MGS may be a flagship title for Sony, but frankly, the series has a lot of problems that are usually glossed over in the PS3 magazine reviews largely because it’s marked as THE platform exclusive. Multi-platform magazines mostly said it was an OK game but not really a timeless classic, and it certainly had its issues, really more of a “love it or hate it” kind of game.

Or to put it another way, despite every hardcore PS3 fanboy declaring it the game of the year, you didn’t find it claiming that spot in many places. Just because it’s a flagship title doesn’t automatically make it a great one. So the series is coming to the PC. That’s good, really. But to be honest, I was more excited when Devil May Cry 4 got ported. Sheer cheese aside, it was a fun game to play, where MGS I can have fun with, but I’m usually fighting the game half the time in order to do so.

36. JonFitt says:

So Trapjaw has a daughter?

Played through MGS1. Way too much self-indulgent waffle surrounding a good sneaking game, with terrible shooting.

37. Blast Hardcheese says:

Actually Alec, like Mario, Metal Gear Solid has a bajillion games that never came to the West. So it’d be more like MGS:15.

Well, Mario is an overstatement. That has over one hundred games.

38. whalleywhat says:

A lot of you guys are misreading that Kojima intro, at least imo. I thought it was more of his trolling, like “Yeah, you guys are getting an MGS game, but it stars pretty ass Raiden, hated by comically insecure gamers all over the world.”

39. Mike says:

This game will be a pretty standard action game I suspect. Kojima said in the PS3 conference that MGS: Peace Walker was the continuation of the storyline.

I implore everyone who hasn’t tried 4 to give it a shot. It’s one of the best games ever – but only if you like the idea of an interactive film.

40. Dozer says:

He’s baaaack, and he’s got a new trick
    Magical Raiden is ten times as slick as the last time
    The last time you saw him
    Now you can see why we really adore him

You might think his new trick is sick
    Sawing a pigeon in half with a stick
    Look at the pigeon, now it’s in two
    Oh my its rear end is having a poo

Look at the mess
    In Aisle 2
    Aisle 2
    That’s the place where we store the ragu
    There’s so much ragu

They should make that the title track. Or I’ll set fire to Japan.

41. Kohlstream says:

What are the chances of a PC port of MGS4? Even if it was horribly optimised id buy it.

42. Charlie says:

Yes I hate MGS and final fantasy.

43. Sam says:

This one should be good. I have MGS4 and it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played period. It was pretty much worth getting PS3 just for that game alone. I never played any other Metal Gear games, so don’t know much about Raiden’s history, but he appeared in the 4th part a bunch of times and is a really cool character.

44. Reverend Speed says:

Storywise? Gameplaywise?

MGS pisses on DeusEx from the greatest possible height.

Thank you Mr. Kojima. I hungrily await PacMan:RISING for the PC.

That isssssssssssssssssssssssssssss all.

45. Tom says:

Prolly give it a whirl.
    You never know.
    Might actually be good.
    Shows Sony what a massive balls up the PS3′s been.

46. Hajimete no Paso Kon says:

Castle Shotgun.

Amazing.

47. Lack_26 says:

If you need some help with the rounding up and drowning just ask, I’m happy to help.

48. Bhazor says:

Don’t hate Raiden just because he looks like a gay Geralt who joined a boy band.
    Hate him because he’s one of the thickest characters in videogame history. Honestly, how many times did Otacon have to explain “Metal Gear?!?” to him? Then theres the fact he starts to go all Marty McFly towards the end of MGS2 about his hot computer simulated double agent wife. Nudey cartwheels do not help the matter.
    But really I think the infamy comes from his replacing Snake and his entourage and also the fact that his section of MGS2 was terribly laid out and confusing compared to Snakes half of the game.

49. Miker says:

@Bhazor

Raiden’s section of the game was about 95% of said game. Not sayin’ it’s good or bad, just sayin’

50. hitnrun says:

@SteveHatesYou

Agreed. Or how about, “Metal Gear Rising?” The naming conventions aren’t going to help with marketing. There’s only so much abstract lingo people are willing to follow.

Speaking of which, I mark the exact moment when the MGS series jumped the shark to be when Snake looks up at Ocelot on the tanker and the hand starts talking. Before that point, the series was an excellent soldier-spy ride with a gripping, if slightly weird at times, plot. From that point on, the series is a surreal mix of the literally unbelievable, the blandly predictable, and the incomprehensible. “I don’t get it” quickly becomes “I don’t want it.”

(If you haven’t played the games, don’t mind the spoiler, it’s doesn’t make any more sense to watch than it does to read.)

Comment on this story