The RPS Bargain Bucket: Monkeys & Other Escapes

By RPS on June 6th, 2009 at 4:18 pm.

Spend! Spend it all! Don’t worry about the recession! Games will save the world! Savygamer‘s LewieP has more pixel-based discounts for you good people. You can’t stop him, you know. He’ll keep on finding bargains until either he or the rest of humanity is dead and buried.

King’s Bounty: The Legend – £9.99/€9.99/$9.99
This is a repeat offender in the Bargain Bucket, it seems to keep coming back at low prices. King’s Bounty is a tactical RPG with lots of resource management and other such fun, and is Alec’s favorite game of 2008. A tenner is not far off the cheapest it has ever been available for. RPS Coverage here, and demo here.

Gothic 1+2 – £4.69/€5.36/$7.49 each
I enjoyed Gothic 3 enough to be somewhat interested in the earlier games in the series. If they are anything like Gothic 3, they will have massive open worlds, really open ended story, but be seriously buggy, and kind of dull to play for too long. How have these two games stood the test of time?

Tales of Monkey Island – £21.87/€25.01/$34.95
New Monkey Island games are being made! Not just that, but they are out soon! When you preorder the whole season, you get:

Collector’s DVD at the end of the season, with a special, limited edition cover painted by legendary Monkey Island artist Steve Purcell.
A free Telltale game of your choice
Access to a special Monkey Island section of Telltale’s website

Seems like it might be worth it if you’re planning on getting the full series anyway.

Escape Rosecliff Island – £7.47/$9.97
A hidden object/puzzle game from Pop Cap, set on a ‘mysterious private island’. You get 50% off during checkout. There is a demo here.

Escape From Paradise – £0.62/€0.71/$0.99
A puzzle game from Big Fish Games, set on an ‘uncharted island in the Pacific Ocean’. It’s down to this price because the sequel is out soon. There is a demo here.

Deal of the Week
Penumbra: Black Plague [Gold Edition] (contains Black Plague and Requiem) – £3.25/€3.75/$3.75
Penumbra: Overture – £2.25/€2.50/$2.50
Penumbra: Collector Pack (contains Black Plague, Requiem and Overture) – £4.50/€5/$5

Really creepy first person horror adventure games, and you can get the full series for not very much money right now. They are very atmospheric, and have a brilliant and immersive interface. Highly recommended at this price. Turn the lights out, volume up and lock your door.

If that lot’s not enough for you, do check out SavyGamer.co.uk for constantly-updated bargains across all formats.

__________________

« | »

1. White Noise says:

I’m just praying they pull off the new MI games.

2. bansama says:

As always, you can find some more deals here too: http://www.coldbluesun.com/wishlist/en/onsale/

My personal recommendations would be the Unreal pack on Steam, grab it now if you haven’t done so already as that sale is going to end any day now (Valve time), and Light of Altair (11.99) — which almost slipped my mind. Thanks to one crying 3 year old >_>

3. anon says:

The first two Gothics are ridiculously better than the third part.
    That you haven’t played them is a shame!

4. Okami says:

I fully second anon’s opinion. The first two Gothics are among the best rpgs ever created and the third pales by comparison.

EDIT: I just remembered… Gothic 3?? There actually was no third part of Gothic. Just as there was no fourth Indiana Jones movie. And no Star Wars movies but the original trilogy.

5. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I just payed my credit card bill yesterday so no purchases until the trauma wears off. :( Is there an equivalent to saveygamers for the US? I doubt Tesco will ship me a rather well priced DoW2 for free to Yankeeland. :(

6. Jochen Scheisse says:

And Matrix has no numbers – it was a brilliant SINGLE MOVIE!!!1einself1!

+2 on the Gothic comment. Especially Gothic 2.

7. Rinox says:

Penumbra collection here I come! Thanks Savygamer and RPS Hivemind

8. Supraliminal says:

And there are only two Thieves.

9. M_the_C says:

I second Light of Altair, haven’t bought it myself (too many games, not enough money…) but played the demo and had more fun than I was expecting. An interesting middle-ground between 4X and basic strategy.

£9.59 on Steam and apparently equivalent on Impulse (exchange rate may affect it).

Oh and Freedom Force is still on sale, but not for much longer, a bargain.

10. Nero says:

Finally got the Penumbra collection thank you very much.

11. noom says:

Downloaded the *ahem* demos of the Penumbra games, but both black plague and penumbra had far too many graphical errors on mai radeon 3870×2 to play. Shame because I’d gladly buy them if I thought they were going to work :(

12. Optimaximal says:

Paypal told me £22.45 for the Tales of MI…

13. Carra says:

I think I’ll go and buy Penumbra package. Thanks for the list.

I’ll wait until the first reviews of the new Monkey Island come in before spending my money.

14. Urre says:

Gothic 1 is easily the best in the series.

15. Isometric says:

Hurrah!!!
    Penumbra collector pack is as good as mine.
    I have been wanting to play those games for quite some time now and deal that could i cannot refuse.
    Thanks for the heads up RPS!

16. jalf says:

Already preordered Monkey Island, and bought the Penumbra pack. I’m building up my own very personal financial crisis here, but eh, I wanted the former, and the latter was cheap. :p

17. PC Monster says:

Bought Penumbra pack. Tempted by Gothic 2.

18. Thirith says:

Yeah, I’m also waiting with Monkey Island. Sam & Max was okay but it was definitely a case of diminishing returns. Since I thought the same with all the MI titles after the second one, I’m simply not sure how much more can (or should) be squeezed out of the franchise.

19. The Poisoned Sponge says:

And I finally give in and get Kings Bounty.. goodbye week.

20. Matzerath says:

I went for King’s Bounty. Truly it is a very silly but immersive fantasy game, with awesome lighthearted graphics. Giant snakes scare me! But I can hardly wait for my frog bride to have tadpoles.
    (Also: there are some nice little mods on their site to raise the view distance and add some useful adjustments to the interface!)

21. malkav11 says:

I definitely recommend the first Gothic, but if you only have money enough for one of the two this week, Gothic II is the best in series.

22. Muzman says:

Would be in there for Penumbra in a flash, but the supposed three game pack lists only two games on the steam site.
    It’s hardly breaking the bank to get an extra one at these prices, but I can’t find Requiem listen on Steam anywhere for that matter.

Oh, wait, it’s an add on to Black Plague. I get it.
    Wow, reading has so many uses.

23. Dave says:

Having tried and hated Gothic 3 for several different reasons, even after the community patch, what was better in 1 and 2?

24. Kohlstream says:

How much will they charge for postage with the new MI games to send them to the UK?

and lol @ Muzman

25. Megazver says:

Gothic 1 and 2 aren’t buggy at all. The controls take a while to get used to, though – for some mysterious reason the developers decided that mice are for pussies and real men use keyboard only, the Use button should be Ctrl + Up and the attacks should be done by Ctrl + Arrow Keys. It stops bothering you once you’ve actually gotten used to this, but man, I still don’t know why they did it.

Great games, though. One of the best and immersive open game worlds in RPGs, lots of quests to do, lots of fun to be had.

26. abhishek says:

I picked up the Penumbra pack as soon as the weekend sale went up. I’ve been hearing good things about the games for years now, so it was a no brainer.
    I am very, very tempted to get King’s Bounty as well but after all the problems Gamersgate has been having over the past week or so, I just can’t make myself pull the trigger. If the same sale had been on Steam, I wouldn’t have thought twice. Since the game seems to be on sale so frequently, I’m hoping that Steam will get it’s turn soon.
    Last is Monkey Island, another pre-order when it shows up on Steam. The pre-order bonus is nifty, but Lewie didn’t mention that they will charge shipping for the DVD, which in my case, could turn out to be a substantial amount considering I live on the other side of the planet from them. The free episode doesn’t really interest me either since I own both seasons of Sam & Max and there’s nothing else on their catalog I’d like to play.

27. mcw says:

@Kohlstream: The Tales of Monkey Island games are delivered in digital form initially and the DVD is usually made available a couple of months after the last episode has been released. I think the cost for shipping should be about 10 US Dollars for most places.

28. GreyLord says:

Picked up the Penumbra pack and Escape from Paradise (can’t resist a $0.99 sale).

Wanting to buy King’s Bounty for a long time, it’s a pity digital versions are in english only :(.

Not sure about the Monkey Island one, still not comfortable with the idea of episodic games…

29. Kohlstream says:

@mcw

Ahh i didn’t realise it was all download only. I think im going to wait for the complete season compilation on DVD. Although missing the cool extras will suck.

@GreyLord
    The Sam & Max episodes were awesome, great puzzles and humour but the overall story arc (not that it was that important in a Sam & Max game) didn’t feel the same as a full length game, thats my only real complaint with episodic releases. Well, there’s also Half-Life 2 Episode 3 but i dont wanna get into that…

30. MWoody says:

I picked up the Penumbra pack, as I’d heard good things about it from a friend a while back. Are all the games different enough to warrant playing, or are there some in the series so superseded by their successors that I shouldn’t bother? What order are they intended to be played in? I hate it when sequential games get subtitles instead of numbers.

31. abhishek says:

The order to play them in is Overture followed by Black Plague and then Requiem.

32. jalf says:

@Kohlstream: If you preorder, you get to download each episode as it is released, plus you get the dvd with all of them for free (at the cost of shipping) at the end of the season. It’s not download *only*

33. redrain85 says:

Damn you, Steam! :) At $5 for the whole Penumbra collection, I couldn’t pass that up. That’s cheaper by far than buying a retail copy in the store.

34. Gorgeras says:

Steam still has a bug displaying Prototype’s price at £35. Will NOT be buying at that price without seeing a review and why Activision thought a review embargo would be a good idea is beyond me.

35. Subject 706 says:

Gothic 1 and 2 are to Gothic 3 what Morrowind is to Oblivion, i.e. a helluva lot better.

36. Dominic White says:

@Gorgeras: The ridiculous thing is that there’s a lot of pre-release streams of Prototype gameplay over at places like justin.tv, and every person I’ve shown these streams to has gone on to preorder the game.

From places other than Steam, of course, as Activision really price-gouge on digital distro, but there have been a lot of orders. It’s one of those games that actually fun to just *watch*.

37. Z says:

Holy crap, that King’s Bounty demo is rather hefty.

38. SlappyBag says:

Splinter Cell Double Agent and Splinter Cell the origional are both under a £5 at the moment.

39. Urthman says:

On one of the recent RPS podcasts, one of you was pining for a sequel to Ultima Underworld 1&2. I think Ultima IX could have been a spiritual sequel to UU, but it was, of course, rubbish.

Gothic 1&2, on the other hand, are the closest to a sequel to UU 1&2 that we’ve had, in terms of having similar gameplay and similar awesomeness. (I know Arx Fatalis also tried, to mixed reviews. I haven’t tried it.)

the developers decided that mice are for pussies and real men use keyboard only

But we should point out that you can play Gothic 1&2 with a mouse just fine – it’s just a little weird. Instead of clicking on something to pick it up, you have to click and press the forward key (‘W’ if you use a WASD setup). To attack, you have to click and press a movement key, as if every attack were one of the power attacks in Oblivion. It takes a few minutes to get used to, but quickly become as easy to use as standard FPS-type controls.

40. Optimaximal says:

Penumbra: Black Plague also contains Requiem as it’s the Gold edition.

The new PCZone just arrived and it’s got 70%, calling it a bit of violent indulgent fun but citing poor graphics, overkill features (too many special moves etc.) and the dull & forgettable mission/plot structure as downsides.
    In short, wait for either sub-£20 in the shops or a Steam cheap-weekend.

41. ArtyArt says:

Urthman, I think you mean that Gothic is a spiritual successor to Ultima IX, not to the Underworlds. At least that’s what several gaming mags called it, back in the day.

Arx Fatalis is, by the way, an okay game. Don’t know if I’d still spend money on it today, but I remember having some fun with it.

An now on to play my newly acquired Penumbra games…

42. Dominic White says:

@Optimaximal: That score confuses me. I’ve seen large chunks of the game played through now, in a variety of different ways, by several different people. At no point did it look like a ’70%’ sorta game. The people who have played it have nothing but gushing praise, too.

Those ‘too many special moves’ are the reason why each player I’ve seen has been able to do things in their own personal style. There’s more powers than you could ever really need, but isn’t that half the point of an open-world game?

Gut feeling tells me that it got the magic 20% knocked off the score because it’s a multiplatform game.

43. jalf says:

@Gorgeras: Eh, Prototype is €50 in the rest of Europe… :p

44. motherpuncher says:

I really enjoyed both of the original Gothics. I remember spending 6+ hours a day just playing Gothic 2 while I was on winter break in highschool. Some how its one of the few games to make npc’s feel somewhat dynamic. I remember morrowind and oblivion both failing badly at that. Fallout 3 did pretty good on that aspect. The controls in Gothic 2 were a pretty big improvement over the first.

45. Smurfy says:

This Rosecliff Island “bargain” isn’t. It’s about a quid cheaper on Steam, and that’s not a limited offer either >.>

46. Urthman says:

ArtyArt, when Ultima IX came out, it didn’t feel like the other Ultimas. In development, Ultima fans slagged it for “jumping on the Tomb Raider bandwagon” in that it had a 3rd person viewpoint instead of isometric. But the real difference was the single-character, real-time action/RPG gameplay that was much closer to the Underworld games than to any of the previous party-based Ultima games.

So you could say that Gothic is a successor to Ultima IX, but that wouldn’t be much of a recommendation since Ultima IX was so bad. Not very many people are yearning for a new U9. Or you could just say that Gothic is the best Ultima Underworld-Style game since the Ultima Underworlds.

But you’re right, when it came out, some people called Gothic “Ultima IX done right.”

Btw, one of my favorite features of the Gothic games is the level design, a concept I don’t normally associate with RPGs. But, wow, (especially in Gothic 2) they do an absolutely wonderful job of filling the landscape with interesting nooks and crannies and secret places to explore. I was constantly amazed how often I’d climb up on a rock ledge or investigate what seemed likely to be a dead end and find that I’d discovered a path to somewhere new. It was so common I almost wouldn’t call them secrets so much as an incredibly detailed world.

And secrets aside, the whole terrain is just interesting, it has character. It makes the overworld for Oblivion (which I like) seem really bland in comparison.

47. Thirith says:

Arguably Ultima IX felt more like an Ultima and Ultima VIII did, mainly due to being set in Britannia. Problem is that it was a very watered down Ultima.

48. ArtyArt says:

Indeed. So I should have said “Gothic was the game that Ultima IX should have been”, alright. Still, to compare the Gothic games with the Underworlds sounds rather misleading, at least to me. Ack, whatever. They’re all good, anyway (except for U9, that is). Long story short: Gothic 1+2 are well worth anyone’s time and money.

(And hell, how I do yearn for a new/different/alternate-reality-esque U9… sniffle.)

49. Z says:

I’m sure king’s bounty is a great game. The Demo makes my laptop die a violent BSOD, though, so I’ll never know.

50. Taill4f4r says:

More praise for the Gothic games from me too. They have what few games manage, and that’s a satisfying sense of progression. The world starts with the upper hand and will kill you mercilessly. There’s nothing flashy about how your character grows and yet you feel you’re learning and improving all the time. You start to overcome, you start to actually survive. You start to win! And it feels great.

Speaking of Ultima, I think my first experience of Angry Internet Men was how they loathed Ultima 8 because it wasn’t like the others. Ultima 8! It’s awesome!

Comment on this story