Dying In The Gutters: America’s Army Comic Book

By Kieron Gillen on June 8th, 2009 at 11:02 am.

Children's picture narrative

This was announced last week, but when I checked, I couldn’t actually find the comic. Except now I have. Mr Linky, signing up. Anyway, popular army-recruitment device America’s Army is now doing a free comic. Which you can read the first issue online now. Now, I haven’t read it – I don’t really understand comics, so wouldn’t want to offer up an opinion. Besides – if I read it, didn’t like and said something like “America’s Army is useless”, we’ll probably get invaded. But I found this review of the comic by comics-gossip-wunder-waffen Rich Johnson at his new blog Bleeding Cool. Any good, Rich? “Not so much Generation Kill as Generation Kill Me Now” says he. Maybe not then.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. cullnean says:

terrible, and not becaues its linked to AA

2. Pidesco says:

It seems to me that Rich Johnston wasn’t harsh enough.

That bit with the clasped hands was terrible.

3. TwistyMcNoggins says:

I personally thought AA actually had the best training levels of any game ever. Having to actually sit down and listen to a lecture on battlefield medicine and then fill out a written test afterwards sent nerd goose-bumps down my arm.

Shame the rest of the game was shit.

4. Hmm-hmm. says:

I liked those training levels. Like the sniping test. Man, I believe they made it easier in a later version, but the one I did was hard. Such satisfaction when I actually made the grade.

5. Dinger says:

“kill me now?”

No, wait till you get home.

6. HidesHisEyes says:

AA had great training, I think BF2 could do with some mandatory training for certain kits :)

That said, the whole “both teams = america” and the poor gameplay ruined it for me.

7. Über Nerd says:

“Noise and Light dispicline are in effect.”
    “Gentlemen… I never really was on your side.”

Darada darada darada da da da da…

Way to shoot yourself on both feet with a single bullet.

8. Piispa says:

I hope next issue is of the teamkillers, griefers and pre-puberty kids swearing in the microphones.

Team America to the Rescue!

9. el_muerko says:

a granny told them to save the world so they did

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!

10. Jochen Scheisse says:

GRANNY…NOOOOOOOOOOO!

11. Bobsy says:

Man, that’s really quite revolting.

12. Gap Gen says:

Search for traps, pookie.

13. phil says:

Warren Ellis had some success revamping GI Joe, I’d have loved to see what he’d make of this commission.

The fact none of the recruits seems to playing PSPs, playing the America version of the biscuit game, throwing sand scorpions at fellow grunts or just experiencing the mind numbing tedium of occupation (with odd minutes of terror to stop you relaxing), detracts from the realism somewhat.

14. DBeaver says:

I really couldn’t bring myself to read this to the end… even though the alternative is studying physics. This is really horrible! It’s at the level of propaganda comics from the cold war

15. JonFitt says:

Aw, I really thought the newbie (noob) was going to buy it at the end there. He was a classic red shirt.

Also, I thought it was funny the way they decided to set it in Durka-durka-stan rather than naming names.

16. Gap Gen says:

Remember that you should never leave a man’s behind.

I mean…

17. Bongo says:

Leave it in a man’s behind surely?

18. Kurt Lennon says:

Reminds me of when they brought out a comic book peddling the official story of 9/11. Create young idiots, and you end up with a country full of adult idiots.

19. Nerd Rage says:

The most horrifying part was at the end:

“Continued in chapter 2…”

I know they’re still trying to fill the gap left by the ban on waterboarding, but you’re supposed to torture the enemy guys. Good effort, wrong target.

20. john says:

blah blah blah, patriotism is for people who aren’t as cool as me blah blah….

good job you guys only have to be keyboard warriors instead of the real thing.

21. Piispa says:

blah blah blah patriotism rules, america ftw! blah blah blah

Yeah, those commie sons-o-bitches!

22. undead dolphin hacker says:

You guys are acting like the US doesn’t go out of its way to embarrass itself. Like this is some kind of surprise.

Trolled, imo.

23. solipsistnation says:

I misread one of the fake country names on the map on page 6 as “Dubzilla.”

That would have been a better comic, I’m sure.

24. MultiVaC says:

I laughed at this at first, but after a while it started to sink in just how sinister these things actually are. We associate blatant propaganda with past wars, but it really hasn’t changed one bit.

25. Jochen Scheisse says:

If Warren Ellis revamped that, I wonder if they’d have an embedded reporter with multi colored shades.

26. theleif says:

I wonder why Jack Thompson isn’t all over Americas Army. It is the only game i know of that actively encourages you to go out and kill people. And not in the game.

Comment on this story