CrimeCraft Footage, Dev Speak

By Jim Rossignol on June 9th, 2009 at 8:17 am.

The other PC-based MMOFPS (or is it a PWNS?) at E3 was CrimeCraft. It’s operating along rather similar lines to APB: a gang-based theme, with guns, hip hop stylings, and ongoing RPG elements. Sadly there’s no open world combat, because the game is driven by story-led PvP and PvE in instanced missions. Despite being “massive” and being powered by the Unreal 3 engine, the footage here seems a little uninspiring, with sub-Gears of War combat and dreary environments. If it can’t offers ome of APB’s living world dynamism it seems unlikely to be the MMOFPS of the next couple of years. That’s not to say it won’t be a success, because I think gamers are more than ready for some hybrid games in the MMO vein. Anything with guns and persistent characters is going to get a fair shake. CrimeCraft is already offering beta signups, so that might be worth a look.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. OutOfExile says:

So it’s Gears of War with slight RPG elements? This looks like one of those games promising to be a MMOFPS/TPS that just looks like any other shooter . IMO APB looks 100x better.

2. Morph says:

CrimeCraft? That’s a pretty poor attempt to try and jump on the Warcraft bandwagon. Naming yourself ‘craft’ and hoping people might accidentaly play your game or think Blizzard made it?

3. MD says:

Crimecraft will be [chuckle] available on the PC August 25th.

That man knows something he isn’t telling us! Or maybe he involuntarily started thinking about the word PWNS. Either way, I don’t trust him.

4. diebroken says:

@Morph: Exactly. I’m not sure if Blizzard has done anything about CrimeCraft, but they certainly did with FreeCraft…

5. Lu-Tze says:

Oh god, Martyrdom grenades.

6. Rei Onryou says:

Does Blizzard own the Craft trademark? If so, then yes, they may be in trouble. Otherwise, its going to head the way of the Tycoon name!

The TPS didn’t sell it to me as a PC player and like OutOfExile said, APB is looking 100x better.

7. Stupoider says:

I think I’ll stick with APB! :)

8. Sunjammer says:

Hilariously bad name

9. Jonas says:

Maybe I’m just seeing it wrong, but doesn’t it look like that machinegun’s spread is along a horizontal line rather than being an actual gaussian spread? If so, that must be fairly awkward.

It seems like really bad timing for these guys that they’re developing their crime MMOG at the same time as APB.

10. Tei says:

MMORTS and MMOFPS are lesser genres, with less players than MMORPG. So what this games are tryiing, is hard. I say.. Good luck!.

11. The Sombrero Kid says:

this and APB seem to be the first ever first person games in third person! :S

12. Clovis says:

@Lu-Tze: My little brother had COD5. He kept using the craziest word and it took me forever to figure out what he was saying. I eventually caught on when I realized that dead bodies were exploding. The problem was that he was pronouncing it “Marty Dom”. I pointed out the mistake and got an incredulous, “That’s what Mom said!” response. I think he, and his friends, still pronounce it incorrectly. Martydom grenades never really bothered me when I played COD5 though.

I imagine Blizzard could have a case against the title if a reasonable person would assume that the makers of Warcraft and Starcraft also made Crimecraft. A reasonable person might not assume that though since Blizzard is not dumb enough to name something Crimecraft.

13. Heliocentric says:

Blizzard has nothing.

Get back from over the shoulder and no-one gets hurt, first person ffs, will no-one go fps?

14. Wooly says:

“So it’s Gears of War with slight RPG elements?”

Nonononono. It’s Gears of war with slight RPG elements AND monthly fees!

15. Nerd Rage says:

Hellgategang: LondonAmbiguous Urban Environment?

16. ChampionHyena says:

Waitaminute. Last time I checked on CrimeCraft (which, admittedly, was a helluva long time ago), it was free-to-play. Whahappen?

17. Tei says:

A few years ago a game of this type (short name, Oz, or something similar) whas widly popular. I suppose the ones like counter-strike only need to be fun and easy to install.

18. DrazharLn says:

Is it just me, or does this game look boring?

It seems to me that it’s a T(hird)PS with a glorified lobby and a set of probably irritating skills. In the end it all comes down to old-as-the-hills team deathmatch arenas.

The PvE missions look terrible! Kill 20 dudes with a particular gun (or whatever). So artificial.

APB, on the other hand seems to actually be trying for something a little bit different. It might not turn out good (though personally I think it’ll be fun for a while at least) but it’s ambitious and new, not some kind of ill-designed mashup of Unreal Tournament and WoW.

IMHO, of course.