More Just Cause 2 Lunacy

By Jim Rossignol on June 9th, 2009 at 8:46 am.

It’s amusing how calm Just Cause 2‘s lead developer is as he narrates the most ludicrous sequence of events I’ve ever seen in this footage. The trailer was insane, but this is just silly. If I have to die, I want this dude to choreograph it.

, , .

1. Marcin says:

Can’t wait.

(please remove the QTEs, brilliant otherwise, loved the first game, thanks)

2. OutOfExile says:

So far this game is the only thing that can compare to Dead Rising 2′s awesomeness. The hardest question ever will: What’s cooler, riding through a bunch of zombies on a motorbike with chainsaws attached, or attaching a jeep to your helicopter and using it as a wrecking ball as you destroy an entire base. Definantly looking forward to this.

3. Tei says:

I don’t want to play games with QTE. May make sense on a control pad, but are complicated with a keyboard. And I don’t want to use a control pad. So If your game have QTE, then you have lost a sale (me). *Jericho, I am looking at you*

4. Pedro says:

Looks like Chuck Norris meets Arnold Schwarzenegger in an old 80s flick…..and I love it : ). Totally over the top action.

5. Christian says:

@Noc: I see what you mean, and agree that it’s really a bit in the slapstick-direction and funny. But just imagine having to do the same thing over and over again..every time you want to steal a car.
    Sure it’s not that bad as in Mercs 2, but still I think it’s just a waste of time.
    And I’m not proposing to replace it with a nicely animated cutscene or anything. I’d very much prefer just an animation of my character entering the car and the former driver tumbling out in funny/spectacular ways. I don’t think I need any sort of (and not even an illusion of) involvement in stealing a car in a game (except Car-Stealing-Simulator 2.0, that is).

@ Starky: Yes, you make a good point there. But: if it isn’t a real challenge, why put in in there at all..but it did look way better than Mercs 2..

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much looking forward to this..it promisses loads of fun, and the possibility to move fluently, jumping on to and off of things and destroying other things while doing that is great :)

And: strangely, I didn’t have any problems with the lock-picking in Fallout 3..

6. Funky Badger says:

Tethering the “Elite” to the fuel canister, then shooting it. I think that was my favourite bit.

But yes, WIN.

7. Sunjammer says:

Haha i’m in!

8. Nerd Rage says:

You know, I always thought the title of the original game was supposed to indicate that all the mayhem this dude was creating was because he was pursuing a Just Cause (obviously I never actually played it), but now I’m starting to think it’s more like, “Hey why are you blowing up an entire island?” “/shrug Just ’cause”

9. Dominic White says:

@Nerd Rage: Your character in both games is basically Johnny Depps insane CIA agent from Once Upon A Time In Mexico. You don’t need a reason to do anything, because you’re awesome and cool.

10. Tei says:

Well… Is a game that don’t take himself serius, and seems a framework to make some crazy and fun stuff. Probably you can ignore the main missions, and just go crazy around.

11. Moonracer says:

What did he say in the video? Something like “even cutting edge AI can’t deal with exploding barrels.” Heh. Regardless this looks like a lot of fun, though I also dislike the QTE. Having to memorize random button combos (or follow them in a panic) is not fun for me.

12. Muzman says:

OMET says:
    @Muzman
    Apart from being a trifle risky, not much would happen (besides the ensuing explosion), as there is no recoil from an RPG.

True, such things are force balanced (if that’s the term) so a person can hold one. Still I’m having a tough time picturing the vast expulsion of high velocity gasses from one or both ends having no effect at all. I could well be wrong.

I know it’s not the pont of this game (or many at all for that matter) but it’s fun to see what sticks out. Jumping from a helicopter to a skyscraper, deploying an apparently rigid parachute almost anywhere, or turning cars into bolas on any surface (while being mostly bulletproof) doesn’t really get my attention, nit pick wise. But surfing on a speeding Humm Vee over rough ground and not even looking where you’re going. No one’s knees are that good.

13. Pan says:

Argh! He got me with his wiiiiiirrre….

14. Tei says:

Wait… I just remenber the *HORDE* of hook mods for Quake1. Actually even CTF (Capture The Flag) got one… Zoid! . Some of these mods (the simplistic ones) used a hook like this one, unrealistic, but others used one more phisic, and was also fun, in a spider-man-tarzan kind of way… .really fun.
    Unsurprising, the Smoker mechanism of L4D is somewhat like that one (Zoid again!). WAIT!.. the one on L4D is somewhat more realistic. There are gravity for the things pulled.

I will be fun If a L4D mod let Smoker controls the hook, with a key to pull and other to release. More advanced controls will help raise hell over the survivors :-)

WAIT!… Imagine letting the Smoker use his tongue as a hook, to move trough the map!

NO!.. It will be too powerfull, and godmode :-)

15. Andrew says:

Spiderman is NOTHING compared to this guy. And i used to think strength-throwing koreans into rickety shacks was silly physics fun. This sets the bar at a whole new level of crazy

16. Surgeon says:

That looks totally bananas.
    Bring it on.

17. sigma83 says:

Infonugget: The settlement in the video, Pasir Hitam, means Black Sands in Malay.

18. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

OH MY OD IT’S THE CABLE FROM ROCKET JOCKEY

(please tell me someone else remembers Rocket Jockey)

Brother, I only had the demo for that game, but it was AWESOME.

19. Wedge says:

Seriously, out of all this crazy un-scripted nonsense they showed you doing, people are bitching about ONE little QTE bit for hijacking a car? Or is everyone just complaining without actually watching the video?

It is funny when he says the games has “advanced AI” when enemies just seem like fodder to come up with fun ways to kill. Which from the looks of the game is fine by me. The double grappling hook is brilliant.

20. Ian says:

@ Nerd Rage: A little from Column A, a little from Column B.

@ Muzman: Assuming you’re talking about Rico being bullet-proof I’m fairly certain they had God mode (or something like it) on for the purposes of that. Not that he was exactly flimsy in the first game, but that still looked like he wasn’t taking any damage at all.

21. TCM says:

They have created a game that I would, without hesitation, associate with “awesomely stupid summer action movie”.

This is a must-buy, for me.

22. Eschatos says:

The grappling hook and vehicle combat looks about a billion times better than in the first game. Now I just need to see some real combat, and actual vehicle driving.

23. dsmart says:

Sold!!!!

24. Wisq says:

I liked the part where he said “the key is to keep moving” and then camped behind stuff for a while. Or when he said “I could order a helicopter on the black market, but this one is free, sooo… it’s better”. ;)

That said, yeah, this does look great. Like Mercenaries, only better.

25. Santiago says:

Ah I remember inviting a computerless friend of mine to play on my rig, getting, er, “drunk” and playing Crysis, grapping koreans and throwing them away, blowing up jeeps and all sort of stunts, I remember concentrating for full 15 minutes until finishing the first level then turning to my friend just to see him staring at the screen, mouth open, speechless like a kid. Then this looks like 10 times the fun!

26. Gulp says:

“I could have ordered a helicopter from the black markets, but this one is free – so that’s better.”

Cheapskate! If you don’t support the black economy, who will?!?