Released, Demoed: Blueberry Garden

By Jim Rossignol on June 13th, 2009 at 9:42 am.

IGF-entrancing Blueberry Garden has found its way into the realm of (incredibly cheap) release, and it also has a demo. The game is indeed a kind of garden: an open-ended side-scrolling world in which many different things can by made to happen. Your flying, beaked protagonist is like something out of a child’s illustrated storybook, and travels about the strangely sketched landscape interacting with the beautifully imagined flora, fauna and inanimate stuff that resides there. Developer Erik Svedang says it’s “about curiosity and exploration”, and that pretty much sums this oddity up. You’re going to want to experience this one for yourself, I think, so go and download that demo.

, .

1. Lambchops says:

It”s definitely worth trying out the demo to see if this is your cup of milk.

Personally i got bored of it pretty quickly. on the positive side it certainly looks pretty; but for a game about curiosity a image of some water coming down from high up in the sky just isn’t enough to pique my interest. Maybe the pay off is worth it, maybe there’s some interesting ideas behind the areas locked off in the demo but I know that I just wouldn’t have the patience to find out.

2. bansama says:

The full game is a lot better than the demo. The demo simply doesn’t really have a purpose which makes it rather pointless. However, as much as I want to enjoy the full game, the random crashing and lack of saving current progress really ****es me off.

3. allyjweir says:

unfortunately due to the incredibly high system requirements ive not managed to play it yet. Hopefully i will be able to play it when ive built my new PC in a few months.

4. Howl says:

It reminded me of ‘Exile’ from the 80′s but I agree with Lambchops. I wasn’t really having enough fun to care about the next discovery or the patience/curiosity to explore.

5. Kohlstream says:

This game is fun. I think he could have expanded the game with new gardens that have new animals, foliage and fruit that did different things, but for £4 im not complaining. I felt i got way more entertainment from it than the price would suggest.

@Bansama
    The game only lasts 15 mins then you have to start again so there isnt much point to saving. The game has crashed on me once and if i have anything running in the background it gets a joggy framerate for some reason.

6. Anton says:

Hmmm, so far I could get past getting stuck in random places to start actually understanding the gameplay… shame. Hopefully this will be fixed soon, as the feedback from most other people is really good. Am I playing some special elite-bug version?

7. Carra says:

Downloading demo… Looks like an interesting game.

8. Heliocentric says:

Can’t run it on the pc i’m near. Shame really wanted to play it. I can run stalker and mass effect but not a 2d platformer.

9. El Stevo says:

Very juddery. It’s too much for my machine.

10. The_B says:

Demo runs smooth for me but keeps crashing, unfortunately – so I’ve put off purchasing for now. Shame though as it seems pretty cool.

11. FatMat says:

This game is a little jewel. It wins where indie games usually fail, producing the feel of a truly open world. Did a short review (in french) on my website, in case of : http://www.gamersepicerie.com/?p=927

12. bansama says:

@Bansama

I disagree. Having spent a while to get that tap turned off only for it to crash while then performing the second task, is very very annoying. Thus, it really should save at the point a stackable object is picked up or the tap turned off. It’s not exactly like you can enjoy exploring (one of the points touted by the dev.) if it keeps crashing everytime you reach a point where you *can* freely explore.

13. chris k says:

I did not have any crashing or slowdown problems with the demo on my pc.

14. oddbob says:

I love this *so* much. It’s got a few niggly glitch things which can drive you spare at times like getting stuck amongst the fruit or wildlife, but that’s not enough to stop me loving it.

I knew it was really working for me when one of the little party hatted folk went to wander down a dip heading for the water and for some reason I felt the need to go and pick him up and put him somewhere safe.

It’s quite magical.

15. cowthief skank says:

I think I’m rubbish at it. I couldn’t figure out what to do. I mean, I got myself a nice big tower of stuff but then all I could fly to was a locked off bit (demo) or a spiky piece of land on which I could not stand. It was nice though.

16. Rinox says:

It’s certainly…different. I tried the demo a bit and there wasn’t much of a point indeed, even if I liked playing around with the fruits and the little guys.

5 € investment might follow. Is it really that much more involving in the full version?

17. Wulf says:

I haven’t had much of a chance to test for crashing yet, but the demo is perfectly smooth on my laptop, and it’s certainly no butch thing being a gaming machine, this.

I can’t help but wonder if people are running bad software designed to murder games into submission, one such instance I can think of is XFire, others would be badly programmed virus scanners, and I don’t even want to consider a combination of the two. Some just don’t care about the upkeep of their machines.

So those having problems with stuttering framerates, if you really can run Stalker and the likes, try shutting down some of the programs you have running, stuff like XFire and your virus scanner, see if that helps. The problem might not be Blueberry Garden or the PC, but simply what the user has put on the PC (in other words, a PEBCAK issue).

I’ll be getting the full version soon, and I’ll give that a nice, long play to see if I experience any crashes. I may experience one or two, but I have my doubts it’ll be many. I’m worryingly OCD about the performance of my PC and the apps I put on it, so if something is within my PC’s specs, I usually get the best experience out of it.

18. QuantumTurk says:

So, until now, I thought that our “beaked protagonist” was a man with a very large bushy mustache. Color me confused.

19. Nighthood says:

Well, this is the only demo ever to give me a Blue Screen of Death. I won’t be buying.

20. Realsch says:

Lambchops: 3DAP says hi! (So does noodles).

21. MrBejeebus says:

I love this game…

Its brilliant, after aimlessly picking up fruit and animals i discovered that standing on things doesnt cause you to die, but it adds them to the giant pile! after collecting everything in the demo i found a few pieces of land in the sky. after finding a trick with the flying i can get as high as the game will let me, and soar around doing spins and stuff!

may buy this

also, on the subject of poor performance, with fraps running (to test fps) im getting 80, with 2gb ram and a 256mb card on my laptop

22. nordwindranger says:

it is without any doubt, a moustache

23. Jayteh says:

Didn’t find it very appealing, the gameplay was quite dull and repetitive. The art was pretty but other then that, not my cup of tea.

24. LewieP says:

Got the full version yesterday, and loved it so far.

25. cowthief skank says:

I forgot to add that despite feeling as though I was rubbish at the demo I have actually purchased the full game. Will give it a go later. Was incredibly relaxing.

26. Lambchops says:

Why hello Real, fancy meeting you here!

That’s got me feeling nostalgic about past banter.

27. qrter says:

It’s okay, nothing incredible. 5 bucks/euros seems about the right price.

28. Valentin Galea says:

Add me to the pool of people with very poor framerates but decent system that can run stalker & such.

In this day and age even the greatest indie cred and hype won’t get you far without solid execution.. Jonathan Blow delayed the PC Braid for a reason ;)

29. Lach says:

Would be nice if it would even, I dunno, install on my system. Doesn’t say much for the game when the damn *installer* crashes.

30. Wedge says:

Bought it as soon as I saw it released on Steam, and pretty much immediately regretted it. It’s easy to see why it was released out of nowhere without any hype or previews, as this is the kind of thing people normally release as a cute artsy Flash game for free online. Except this one seems to be horribly unoptimized and plays rather clumsily.

How it won the grand prize at the IGF is well beyond me.

I mean it’s not a terrible game, but it’s really nothing special with everything else out there.

31. An Innocuous Coin says:

Beat it in an hour or two – only got one crash, and slowdown when the terrain moved. Is it just me, or did the terrain-movers seem kind of…useless? I kept expecting to be able to use the terraforming to solve puzzles. Regardless, quite a fun little game. Worth its five dollars, I say.

32. A says:

Wedge is pretty much dead on. It was very nice, but I mean this in the most limited sense possible. $5 is not much money, and there still isn’t enough substance (intellectually, aesthetically, whatever) there to justify it. Hell, $3 for Windosill seems more justifiable. Everything meaningful and magical about it could be seen in the trailer that was released a while ago, and it delivered basically nothing more.

33. cowthief skank says:

I Thought it was worth the asking price.

34. qrter says:

Has STALKER become a new benchmark for PC performance?

I mean, my rig (as the kids like to call it, I believe) is over 3 years old (and wasn’t “all that” even then), can more or less run STALKER (although my framerate regularly drops to a miserable low) and has no problem running Blueberry Garden..

What does it all mean..?

35. Jim Rossignol says:

I think it means that Blueberry Garden is cursed by voodoo magic, and we must burn it as a witch.

36. qrter says:

I bet what will happen then is that we only release its true, most powerful form!

37. Bruce Lee says:

My box is like a tiny god and this game lags. Very poorly optimized for what it puts out. XNA FTW

38. wviperw says:

The game is totally worth the $5 if you’re into that sort of thing. The demo really only establishes the game’s style, it unfortunately doesn’t demonstrate its main gameplay all that well and it couldn’t really, without being the entire game. :) Needless to say, if you at all appreciated the style/feel of the demo, then the full game will be worth it.