Some Thoughts On Crane Wars

By John Walker on June 16th, 2009 at 8:34 pm.

Slightly more celebratory than the piece below.

I’ve been having a quick play of Blurst’s latest – as Kieron noted this morningCrane Wars. It’s a game with some cranes, and they’re at war. I didn’t enjoy it very much. More of this standard of journalism, and my thoughts, below.

Well, I think it’s disappointing. Which makes me sad to say, because Flashbang/Blurst (they seem to go by either name these days) are splendid chaps churning out superb games. Playing Jetpack Brontosaurus (which is no mean feat now they appear to have removed any button letting you access it from the main Blurst site) calms me from any mood and makes everything feel lovely. Raptor Safari is so ridiculously involved, so many different ways to play, so much fun to be had. Blush is a serene and oddly mesmerising way to swish and swoop. But Crane Wars? It seems to be an exercise in frustration.

My strongest feeling from playing is that this is a game of compromises. In fact, all Blurst games are, limited to very simple controls, and only one mouse button. But this is usually a point from which refinement emerges. Crane Wars is just the mouse, beyond pressing space to spy on your rival’s yard, and it leaves me feeling clumsy and out of control.

Your goal is to build towers from blocks, picked up with the crane, and dropped onto plots of land. Being Blurst, it’s primarily about physics, so you’ve got the combination of the sluggish crane moving the weighted line, and the gravity-loving building blocks to balance. And being a game from these guys, there’s multiple ways to approach playing. Do you focus on building super-tall towers? Or do you use your limited time to create many smaller ones? Or perhaps you want to spend your time throwing trucks at the opponent’s constructions? Or ignore him entirely? It’s about exploring the options to find the route to the highest score in the way that suits you best – the secret to almost all their games.

But here I found the process to be too frustrating to persist. By its very design, you’re operating a slow, clunky, clumsy and imprecise piece of machinery. Which is not my ideal list of features for a game. Add to this the restrictive controls and the problems pile you. One of the key elements of crane operation is the combined movements of left and right, back and forth (here handled by it following your cursor) and the raising and lowering of the hook. The latter happens automagically, and is completely out of your control, and whether it’s deliberately cackhanded (again, not a fun gaming choice) or poorly coded I’m not sure, but it’s a giant pain in the arse. Pick up a block (by holding your mouse button over it) and bring it towards a tower and the crane will raise it up above the top level so you can drop it down. But so often it won’t. So often it will crash into the tower and knock it all down. But that wasn’t my fault, that wasn’t my poor choice – that was the automatic feature failing to work.

The second compromise is the camera angle. How exactly do you set this up, a crane operating game? The choice that’s been made is to put you from the cabin-eye view, which makes sense on some levels, but it’s such a horrid angle to play from. This is made worse by your own constructions blocking your view of the site from which new building blocks appear. Again, if it’s a deliberate feature, it’s yet another irritating one. And this weird perspective makes stacking blocks far more difficult than it surely needed to be? I understand that half the game is accurately balancing the towers, but there doesn’t seem to be a rational way of knowing if you’re lined up. Since missing often results in the whole tower collapsing and catching fire, it’s incredibly punishing when you miss. And the traditional gaming trick of using shadows to make up for awkward angles doesn’t work here at all – instead they will just throw you farther off the target.

Finally, where swinging vehicles and blocks at your AI opponent should have been all the mean fun of kicking down a sandcastle, instead it’s a weirdly impotent experience, limply tossing things and rarely feeling any satisfaction if there’s a collision (even holding space to see his site barely lets you see the results of your destructive acts).

There’s only so much of a kicking a game developed in weeks and given away for free deserves. But we’ve heaped lavish praise on their many successful and beautiful games, and have come to expect a lot. I’ve no idea if everyone else on the RPS team will furiously disagree with me over this, and certainly any readers who think I’m out my mind will let me know below. But I don’t feel a desire to return to the construction yard to improve my pitiful 650th place. I do, however, feel very drawn to another couple of games of Jetpack Bronto.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Clovis says:

No, there should be more kicking! That buffoon wearing the orange hat in the screencap makes me furious!

2. Blast Hardcheese says:

I dunno if you should go easier on them or not. I mean the game idea probably came from a joke about Crane Duels by George Carlin.

3. Marcin says:

Hah, I just came back here to post pretty much the exact same thing in the original thread. The fact that the lowering and lowering is out of your control means that every time you bump into something it’s pretty much the game’s fault.

The only way to not bump into your own building with another block is to either build completely out of the way of your crane, or build short stacks. Both of which seem to go utterly against the grain of the game.

Very strange to see this, after the amazingly tight controls of Velociraptor. Even with the Minotaur, where the very concept tests your precision at controlling the ungainly beast, I always knew bumping into shelves was MY fault. Here, it’s all on the game’s side.

4. Krondonian says:

Yeah, I didn’t make it through to the end of a round, it frustrated me so.

Trying to accurately pick up blocks or determine if new ones were properly level with your others was a right pain in the arse, and as you note, resulted in all your progress lost.

I’m hardly going to get all angry-man about it considering the price of entry, but with Flashbang’s pedigree, it’s dissapointing that it doesn’t really hit the mark.

5. An Innocuous Coin says:

Yeah, I have to say I didn’t like it much either. It just felt way too finicky to get the things stacked onto one another, and was even worse when a skyscraper would fall over and cover two squares of building space, or the other side would toss a chunk of building over and block off one of my building-section generating thingies. Not their best work, I think. :/

6. DeliriumWartner says:

It’s slightly easier to throw things when holding the space bar, but still an effort in futility.

I agree that it’s not nearly as good as some of the others they’ve produced. I think it’s very likely they know this but got to the point where they’d already said they would make it, and couldn’t find a way to improve the controls.

Maybe the short development time will inevitably lead to some which shouldn’t have been made, or needed more time but couldn’t be afforded it. Maybe we just have to accept that this is something that will happen when production times are limited in this way.

7. Ging says:

It would be much, much better if I could use my scroll wheel to control the height of the hook – the automatic adjustment at low levels to pick up items is ok, but as everyone else seems to be finding it, when trying to build up towers it becomes a farce.

8. Hypocee says:

Well, I suppose the whole point of Blursting six idea-games is that you can just cut your losses on the portion that turn out not to be great after all.

9. Matthew says:

Good write-up! You mention many things that we would prioritize were we to spend additional time on the game.

By the way, on the controls: We realized too late that many players almost always hold down the mouse (they’ll click on a far away target and hold the mouse until the crane arrives). We didn’t fix this before launch, but wrecks havoc on the auto avoidance logic.

I get that many players feel constrained by the auto-height adjustment, but at the same time I don’t think user-controlled height is the solution (better auto height is). RE: The scrollwheel: have you ever tried clicking/holding the mouse and rolling the wheel? It’s bad.

At the end of the day the comment about risk management is correct; we do 8-week games because it enables us to try new things. A worst-case scenario is that people don’t enjoy the game as much as our others, and there will always be plenty of others.

For the record, I like Crane Wars quite a bit, myself, but it appears to have suffered from a lack of iteration time with observed playtest sessions. It seems like people either “get” how to control the crane, and have a blast, or don’t get it (and never figure out how to throw, etc).

John: I would be curious to hear how you view the game if you were to come back to it and play it every once in awhile…

10. Ian says:

Agree with not letting you see the fruits of your destruction.

Disagree with the automatic height adjustment complaint. Very rarely had any issue with it.

11. DeliriumWartner says:

Ah, I love this website and I love Blurst for this very reason. Direct contact! Of course, now I feel a bit bad about saying I didn’t like it that much…

Matthew, could I just ask – would you say your priority is to make games that you enjoy playing or that the interneteers enjoy? Obviously “both” is ideal, but which do you aim for or concentrate on more, would you say?

12. John Walker says:

I would like to tip my hat to Matthew and Flashbang. To be so warm and generous in response to a post that’s picking the game apart is a remarkable thing. I suggest posting something on the Blurst blog criticising one of my reviews, and we’ll see if I can be half as gracious : )

I will take you up on your suggestion of going back to it.

13. Steve Swink says:

Well, as he says, sometimes it’s difficult to judge the difference between games we enjoy and games others will enjoy. I think that as a general rule of game development and design, making a game that you have fun playing will always yield better results than trying to imagine another person’s idea of fun.

With an 8-week cycle, we are often putting features in and tweaking things up to and after the actual launch. In this case, we didn’t get to do much in-person playtesting with fresh users. It really does seem to be a binary thing for players: either you ‘get’ the crane mechanic immediately and work with the auto height adjustment, or you feel it’s totally clumsy and never get over the barrier of learning to find the gooey center.

I can’t speak for Matthew, but I think we make games that we want to play, and assume that people who enjoy them are the same kinds of people as us. In the case of Crane Wars, there is perhaps a higher barrier of entry than some of our other games, but there are definitely some delicious morsels of enjoyment waiting for the players who master it. I enjoy Ski Stunt Simulator and the Trials games, so I wasn’t too worried about that initial barrier, even though I encountered it as a player. If you make it through that initial frustration, all the concerns that John is mentioning evaporate and you end up stacking like a champ with great speed, and getting super satisfying tosses that crush 5 or 6 enemy buildings and yield a million points or more. Out of all our games, this one is second only Raptor Safari in terms of stickiness for me. I’m still playing it today, trying for that perfect round.

So I guess I’m saying that while we won’t try to argue you into enjoying the game (obviously), there is from our perspective a lot of fun to be had with the game. If you don’t find it, then I’m sorry for wasting your time and hope you’ll like the next game more :).

Pro Tips:

-Watch for the scab to accidentally knock over it’s own stack, then toss a building chunk or truck over. Mega points.

-For tossing, start the object at the bottom left corner of the site. To get a good toss, you need not only to rotate the crane towards the scab site, but have the cable slide along the crane arm (hence needing to start with it near the base of the crane.)

14. Steve Swink says:

And thanks for the honest write-up, John. We really do appreciate it and will incorporate your feedback into our future games :).

15. autogunner says:

i actually enjoyed it, i thought the buildings getting in the way was a feature, so you ahd to build from the top right corner, which put you in more danger of being attacked by the scabs.

also, how about an auto hooking feature, and the wheel for manual control, so when the hook came into contact with a block it auto altches on and can latch off once it connects to the other blocks or a present strain limit is reached? I reckon i could throw that together in garrys mod, but maybe after exams…

16. Marcin says:

I don’t think it’s a matter of “getting” the controls. It’s a question of representing a vertically growing 3D space on a tilted 2D plane. Invariably, where I am pointing the cursor can be interpreted as the top floor of a tall building, or an object on the ground – and when the engine interprets it differently from me (the player) that is seen as “bad controls”.

The only way to avoid this is to build buildings in the same manner every time (from top down), which limits your playing options and actually makes it harder to fling things at scabs, so at this point I’m feeling like it’s lose/lose.

Or am I missing something?

17. PJ says:

I agree with what you’ve written here; which is a shame because I was really looking forward to this, and it’s clear that if they hadn’t had the silly self-imposed time limit they could’ve made something a whole lot better. Conversely, the up-side of the silly self-imposed time limit that, if you don’t like this game, another one will be along in a minute so it’s not really a big deal.

18. Ben Ruiz says:

Hey John! Just in case anyone hasn’t already told you, if you refresh on the front page of Blurst a couple times you’ll get the Jetpack Brontosaurus link eventually. We’re sorry it’s clunky, in time there will be a games page with all of the links to the game on it. But it is definitely still there for you to enjoy.

And thanks for the article, for better or worse. I think it goes without saying that if you guys (journalists/players) aren’t honest with us we won’t get better. While all of the things Matthew said are painfully true, it doesn’t change the fact that we still want to be better at what we do.

Thanks for playing, we love you guys. :)

19. DeliriumWartner says:

Aw, it’s like a dev-player-journo conference. This is fun! I love delving into the way that opinions differ depending on which side of the dev-kit you’re on. Also, massive respect to all the Blurst-Blokes. We love you too :)

20. Steve Swink says:

@ Marcin: For me the ‘getting’ part was being able to intuit and manipulate the height adjustment. Putting the cursor over a building will cause the object to try to match that height. When I play, I use that to get the object to the height I want before trying to place it (or to get it over other buildings when I want to throw.) So instead of having a mismatch between what I intended and what it does, I control it by swinging the cursor around much more quickly than I intend the crane to move. When I first started playing, I was trying to use the crane arm like a cursor, which was super frustrating. The mismatch between intent and execution is there for sure, and I experienced it too. But that experience did change with more play, which is the ‘getting’ I’m referring to.

I mean, it’s still super frustrating when you’re building a big ass tower and accidentally hit it with the hook and topple it, or topple it with the finishing piece and get no points. I get pissed and restart when that happens to my first building, for sure. But I keep getting better and getting buildings up without toppling, and doing it quickly, which keeps me coming back.

Sooo yeah. If you feel like playing some more, go for it and hopefully you’ll have more fun. If not, that’s cool too. Thanks for trying it and for the feedback :).

21. Krondonian says:

Okay, after reading the Blurst guys’ responses here I decided to go back and give it another shot. Completely ignored the Scabs and concentrated on pure building.

I realised my biggest problem was patience. Before I was picking the blocks up in any way, and trying to get them built quick. However after slowing down and making sure to pick the blocks up in the centre I got all the sites built on, with one 7 storey building. Pretty fun when you’re not too reckless I reckon.

I got to 66th in the rankings, which I am super-proud of. It might not last long, but sure beats my various 10000th-ish scores on Velociraptor Safari. Just wished I decided to go ahead and create an account, so my glorious score won’t be attributed to ‘Guest3483934′ or whatever. Ah well. I take back what I said before- it’s a worthy companion to Blursts’ portfolio.

22. Matthew says:

Might be a short reply (I’m now in Atlanta on a tethered iPhone, and was previously on in-flight wireless. Ah, technology!).

Anyway, I think the answer to the “games for us” or “games for everyone” question is the nebulous “a little bit of both”. We probably focus more on the “everyone” part than many of contemporaries (other indies), partly as a holdover from our casual game development.

Partly, though I really want to take something I enjoy–endless hours of Ski Stunt Simulator–and take that kind of abstract experience to a wider audience. I think our most popular games have found a way to expose the endless perfectionism of gameplay physics in a soft, enjoyable way. Failing at Raptor Safari is certainly more fun than failing at Ski Stunt Simulator or Trials (and probably Crane Wars, speaking to John’s review).

Maybe there’s something there with the Crane Wars response; failing in CW isn’t as fun as failing in some of our other games.

But, on the controls again:

– There is a genuine bug where your mouse cursor will raycast “through” the top-most piece, so it’s really hard to get the piece to the height you want. Whoops.

– But the system is supposed to only correct upwards. That is, it should never move to any lower than your mouse cursor’s 3D position. If the mouse cursor is over a building, it will raise to a little bit above that building.

– It will auto adjust upwards, though. If there is a tall building nearby your mouse cursor, it will move upwards a bit in anticipation of not slamming into it.

– A couple things break this: People who move the mouse too quickly, leapfrogging whole buildings that would be in the way, and people who hold down the mouse waaay before a pickup. This is totally our bad, though, because we didn’t watch enough people learn to play; we just assumed people would hover the mouse to get to a target.

– As Steve mentions, you can manipulate the height stuff, because it’s based on cursor position and not hook position. If you want a piece to go way up, immediately move the mouse to a high position. If you have trouble slamming things, “lead” the hook by a small amount to leave time for height adjustment.

– Yes, the tuning on this could be improved. That’s totally my (personal) bad!

Finally, on throwing:

– One secret is pulley position. If you cock your throw on the inside of the crane’s radius, the pulley will be moving outwards on the swing of the crane arm. This is extra speed.

– Another is follow through. The crane arm rotation slows as it nears its destination. If you target the mouse on the scab site, the arm will start slowing too soon. Keep the mouse position 45+ degrees to the right of the crane (for a clockwise throw). This will keep it moving quickly.

– The final piece is height adjustment. If you get it moving upwards during the throw you can heave it super far. Ironically I didn’t tune throwing to be easier because Ben at the office had become insanely adept at smashing the very far city block. But again, our bad for not watching more people and getting more data points!

Okay, that wasn’t short at all. Time to choke down some airport food before my flight to Nairobi!

23. Matthew says:

Krondonian: If you make an account at any point it’ll actually upgrade your guest account in place (assuming you’re on the same computer with the guest cookie). You can still name that leaderboard rank!

24. Kieron Gillen says:

More simple tips from me:

1) Don’t press button until your crane is where you want it. Move your cursor to your destination swiftly to give enough time for it to autoadjust.

2) If you can’t see where your block is, press space to change the camera angle.

KG

25. FunkyLlama says:

This developer-response-in-comments thing is kind of like the All Aspect Warfare comment threads. Except without the flaming. And it’s actually constructive.
    Anyway, five llama points to Flashbang for going all ‘user feedback’ on our collective ass.

26. Matthew says:

One final thought from me before I sit more planes for 24 hours:

“There’s only so much of a kicking a game developed in weeks and given away for free deserves.”

I feel conflicted about this phrase. I actually think Blurst is up against some perception issues when it comes to game complexity. If you mentally lumped a Blurst game into the same cost/complexity category as ArmA2, or whatever, you would probably do your best to “get your money’s worth” out of the play experience. I know I would (and do; I loves me the OpFlash).

When we present Blurst titles as free web games, though, we compete against the super-obvious-addicting Flash games of the world. It’s a weird position to be in, because we have to earn and continually justify every second of the player’s attention. They don’t feel any debt to maximize their experience.

I do this all the time with quick-fix media. I’ll click on a funny video and bounce within 5 seconds if it doesn’t hook me (regardless if the clip is just 60 seconds total).

27. Railick says:

This game actaully interests me as I like cranes and buildings ect, will have to look into it if I ever get the chance.

28. BMcC says:

John, it seems like your biggest criticisms come from how you expect the control to work vs. how it actually works. It’s fair enough that you were frustrated, but I think you should have invested a bit more time before leveling so many complaints.

I mean, I’m not a particularly good player and I often have trouble with odd 3D camera angles, but now I’ve got most of the achievements in this game. Sure, the first few rounds were clumsy, but it’s an arcade game! You shouldn’t really expect to master it or place high in the leaderboards right away.

For example, using the auto-height adjustment you can avoid colliding with your buildings rather easily, and you do know when a block is over a building — just hold the mouse over it and wait for the crane to stop moving. I also wouldn’t call the blocks “gravity-loving.” There’s quite a bit of leeway with the physics, and blocks tend to stick when you drop them from above.

Oh! And try swinging around the back side of the crane. Big, satisfying throws. ;)

29. Railick says:

@FunkyLlama – Not a bad idea

@John Walker & Crew, get your delete button finger ready

I can’t believe I’ve never seen these games before, going to go play Crane Wars when I get home!

30. somnolentsurfer says:

You didn’t mention how it seems to be impossible to control when you complete a tower. It’s really annoying when the opponent has completed several and you’re never getting a completion block spawning. And even more so when you accidentally break the one you have got because of the awkward controls.

31. Krondonian says:

Aw feck. Just CCleaned my cookies. Guess I’ll have to work my way back up the scoreboard :).

32. Max says:

Yeah, I don’t know what you’re all complaining about. It took me a bit to get used to the automatically adjusting height but I found the game to be highly playable.

I was expecting it to be a clumsy wreck. I’m surprised that you gave it such a damning initial review. I imagine you turned a lot of RPS reader off of it.

33. Marcin says:

Ok, I figured it out. I blame playing at work and paying only half-assed attention, which worked for Velociraptor Safari. :P

My issue was guidance. It wasn’t immediately obvious to me that guidance is part of the player’s task – I figured the auto-height would jump over various bits as necessary at first, and that I only had to contend with time and Scabs.

34. Blast Hardcheese says:

Actually Max I wasn’t going to install their games software but the response from one of the developers has convinced me to give up my innate distrust of plugins this one time.

In fact he might not have responded had he been given a glowing review, which means I still would have ignored this piece too.

35. {HERO SQUAD} itsallcrap says:

Kieron’s post isn’t orange.

Impostor!

36. Kieron Gillen says:

I don’t always log in, comrade.

KG

37. Ian says:

That’s just what an imposter would say, Gillen, IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME.

38. Kieron Gillen says:

And sometimes I do.

KG

39. InfiniteAlec says:

I think -maybe- some extra visualization that helps explain where the cursor is might help. (like replacing it with a 3D object so you can see where it is in world space?)

I definitely figured out the controls pretty fast, but I can see why some people might be confused. :)

40. Jazmeister says:

I played it a little this morning before my google reader slog, and I didn’t really like it at first glance either. I usually come back to those kinds of games though, but it does seem a little bit of a crime that the failings are so obtuse and outside player control. Skidding off the track in pod racer was my fault. FUCK now I need to play pod racer. Great.

41. simon says:

I used to spend hours of my younger life on a ‘juggler’ game’n’watch, which i seem to remember my parents paying a lot of money back then for. A free game I can play for free? Thanks people! All you people criticising a game you can play for free? Put your own bloody game on the internet for free then!

42. Nero says:

@simon: Have you heard of something called opinions? If not, you might have to google it.. Just because it’s free doesn’t mean people can voice their opinions of it.

Anyway, back to the game. The first times I played it I pretty much agree with what John says, dropping a building block on a building made it crash and burn etc. But as I’ve played it more (and more) I find it pretty enjoyable. At first I did make big movements, but it’s all about taking it easy with your movements and throwing some stuff now and then at the other builder for major points. Also, it got quite lovely music :)

43. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

I want to like the game, I really do. The two characters are really getting on my nerves. How am I supposed to read their quips while I’m busy building? They are a distraction, and their gibberish makes it worse.

I am getting irritated at the other guy hurling stuff at my site so much. Maybe that’s part of the point of it, but does it really need to take the camera away from me?

I’ll probably come back to the site to play the other games, but not this one. It’s a shame, ’cause I really was beginning to like stacking things.

44. Serondal says:

I actaully did like the game. I find their little quips to be funny and the building isn’t all that hard. Instead of using the shadow you can use the guiding beams of light which help a GREAT deal. I managed to toss a truck at the enemies building and totally destroy it , it was about 8 blocks high :P

Also I figured out if you zoom the mouse round back the crane will flip out and launch stuff 60 – 70 meters easily which unlocked me some achivement goodiness!

I have to say though that I like Minotaur in a China shop MUCH better. This is possibly the best F@#$@# game I’ve ever played.

45. OldManTick says:

I like it, my favorite trick, hook up a block then hit the space bar. The sudden slewing of the view point will cause an awesome swing of the crane and some real good throws into the scabs.

46. Serondal says:

Yah but you lose money if you throw your own blocks at them. Try that same trick but get your crane swinging around backwards first you can seriously launch the hell out of those cars.

I’m confused though, in the videos we were shone the cranes were moving around on trucks and there was aparently a lot more control to them. I think this would be a lot more fun if you could control the crane with left right keys, up and down to move the winch forward and back along the range, and finally maybe W and S to raise and lower the hook with space to grab and release objects. Would make throwing them a lot better IF this web engine could handle that many inputs at the same time. I know when I was playing Rocket Brauntasaurus I key getting beep noises cause I was hitting to many buttons at once :P

Minotaur ANGRY (horns burst into flames) F@#@# CHINA!

47. Shawn White says:

@Serondal The engine does actually support that many inputs. What doesn’t support it are most keyboards. In order to make keyboards cheaper manufacturers will often simplify the keyboard circuitry which will cause given keys to be locked out when other keys are pressed. Unfortunately, each keyboard is different and it’s difficult to work around the issue. In Paper Moon we had people complain that if they were jumping (with up arrow) and popping objects to a different layer (with spacebar) they couldn’t move to the left. That’s one of the many reasons why try to simplify controls like this.

48. Serondal says:

Tried paper moon by the way, fantastic! It reminded me a lot of mario brothers for some reason in the way it was very simple yet rewarding to explore the levels and collect crap just because (not because there was any set goal)

It would be interesting to have a bit more control over the crane in this case though. For one when my tower gets high the crane doesn’t life the new block high enough and knocks the whole thing over because one corner is to low (And clips the pieces already there) If I could just make the crane lift the piece higher manually this would not be an issue.

This it is a lot of fun and I could see this getting to be very addictive. Well done guys :) Also Minotaur in a China Shop is like, the best idea for a game ever EVER

49. Thranx says:

Yea, sadly not up to the high quality of thier other games. LOVE raptor Safari.

50. Walter Mitty says:

Loved the game – found that flooding the scabs’ rear two spawn points with rubble, then pouncing on the yellow completion blocks in the middle spawn point, means they build tall stacks which they hardly ever finish and you can knock those down for points.

It’s a very addictive game.

However, I agree with Idle Threats & Bad Poetry (above) that the characters’ jibes are irritating and the switching of camera angles to show the scabs’ hurling of trucks at you is even worse. An option to switch those off would be nice.