Wot I Think: Prototype

By Alec Meer on June 16th, 2009 at 3:45 pm.

On sale now is the oft-delayed open-world anti-hero killathon by Radical Entertainment, they of the hugely enjoyable console romp The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Prototype’s concept is similar, but it now stars a surly guy in a hoodie rather than the unjolly green giant. Promising an absurd level of mayhem and violence, can this possibly achieve the omnipotence it promises? Here’s my take on it. I even wore a hoodie while I wrote it.

“Do whatever you want” says the cackling devil on my shoulder, as I impale 40 people with bio-spikes then throw a lorry at a helicopter. “Anything“, it whispers, as I cleave a tank in half with my bare hands.

“No, you’re enjoying this too much” says the frowning angel on the other shoulder, as I’m knocked on my arse before I can reach my target again. “Do what you’re told”, it orders, as the game announces it’s turning off my superpowers for a while.

Angel? Devil? I’m not even sure which is which. Morality is non-existent in this game of mass, consequence-free killing, after all. All I know: half of Prototype wants me to have sustained, undiluted fun. The other half wants to keep that fun from me at all costs. This is a game that regularly strikes close an unprecedented degree of fantastical wish-fulfilment, but similarly seems determined to punish anyone with the temerity to play it.

It grants a slew of incredible powers, a sort of superhero greatest hits, then elects to remove most of them for an infuriating two hour stretch. It grants absurd amounts of health, and the ability to recharge it anywhere and anywhen, and then besieges you with so many knock-back attacks that you can barely hit half the stuff you’re supposed to. Prototype offers a sense of locomotion and destruction that gamers have bayed for for years (Crackdown and City of Heroes are the best touchstones here), then puts you in the shoes of a characterless, unsmiling goon based on some half-formed (prototype, even) idea of urban cool. It’s the game with two brains – and if only they’d been fused, this could have been one of gaming’s highest-ever watermarks.

We want the game that lets us do anything: it’s why GTA is so big. Against that is the problem of challenge: when there’s no serious obstacle to your crazed orgy of destruction, all that unbridled fun soon collapses into tedium. Prototype gives you the tools to pull a helicopter from the sky with a tentacle shot from your shoulder. Prototype gives you the tools to devour ten-foot monsters or to dropkick men into the horizon. Prototype gives you the tools to power-jump and glide across the length and breadth of New York in minutes. Prototype gives you the tools to assume the form of anyone you encounter. In free-roam mode, you can clock up jawdropping kill counts within moments, and become an unstoppable engine of carnage. But what then? How many tanks can you trash with a single elbow-drop from the top of a skyscraper before your interest wanes?

And so, Prototype understandably builds in purpose – a central campaign, telling the tale of the curiously unlikeable Alex Mercer and his similarly characterless comrades and enemies. There are bosses, there are daring chases and escapes, there are twists… It’s paperthin, but bar the relentlessly grim tone and Mercer’s disappasionate actor, it’s a workable enough loose structure for a game that’s only really about splatting people. He’s been infected with something dark and sinister, the military wants to kill him because of it, and meanwhile an even more ‘orrible strain of the malady is gradually spreading across the populace of New York, creating zombie-like creatures who also want to kill him.

Where this really works is in the effect of the tale upon the city – it begins as a crude Liberty City, wherein box-faced civilians bimble around doing nothing important and failing to react to anything, but as the infection spreads, turns into hell on earth. As Mercer glides across the skyline, screams echo up the concrete valleys, explosions and unearthly gas clouds flicker in the distance, while helicopters or hulking fleshbeasts will occasionally attempt to pull him to Earth. Many games – especially of late – have shown us the post-apocalypse. Prototype shows us the apocalypse itself, as it happens – this is an Armageddon simulator.

Perhaps that’s why its characters are so cold – this isn’t a game interested in hope or humanity. It’s only interested in decay and destruction. And punching a man clear through the chest then absorbing the bloody remnants of his body into yours, of course. This is a remarkably brutal game, though I didn’t realise quite how gruesome it was until I saw the screenshots – freeze-framed moments of the horror I was causing. At the time – well, I was just doing it. It’s why I’m here. I didn’t notice, didn’t even think that I was killing. I’m not sure I ever do, really – I’m either removing an obstacle or pressing a button to watch a man-shaped collection of pixels dance spectacularly.

Anyway, that’s another, well-trodden argument – the point is that Prototype takes its carnage very seriously indeed. To that end, there is very little colour and zero humour. The end of the world is hardly a happy place, but the dispassionate bleakness becomes wearying. As soon as you drop down from that birds-eye view of the end of the world, New York becomes an unwaveringly dreary city. Its cheek is entirely without tongue – which seems a terrible shame, given the open insanity of what you get up to in the game. The billboards advertising medicines in a time of bio-horror, the pedestrians failing to even blink at a man with a sword for an arm plunging towards them from the skies, that the areas of the city still free from infection seem oblivious to the fact there’s a zombie outbreak a block away, the fact Mercer is dressed like middle-class Britain’s bogeyman of the hour…

It all goes unremarked on, and even just a touch of GTA-esque satire would have made it an infinitely more characterful game. Its mechanics of movement and violence are glorious, but stylistically it’s hard to call it anything other than a failure. Additionally, jittery controls and and a cavalcade of pointless “are you sure?” pop-ups in the menus will do little to endear it to PC gamers convinced consoles are a halfwit blight upon the gaming landscape. It’s true this isn’t the most loving port, but really, on a technical level it’s all fine, and the controls eventually feel more natural.

Just as well, as there’s a lot of controls. As it wears on, your powers will escalate to godlike levels – able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, roundhouse kick a helicopter out of the skies, take down entire armies in a single move… The unbridled power is glorious, ludicrous and, much of the time, an entirely adequate substitute for the game’s absent charm. Follow the core missions, however, and it’ll do everything it can to undermine this omnipotence. In the late game, you’re knocked infuriatingly off your feet every other second, while there’s a clutch of bosses so punishing and grindy they prevented me from having a single good thing to say about the game when I first attempted this write-up yesterday.

One, a mammoth slug/anus creature who takes over Times Square, seems to have been designed by a guy thinking “oh, there’s still a chance the player might be having even a tiny bit of fun here. Let’s add an insta-kill attack. Nope, he’s still smiling. How about infinitely respawning henchmen? Hmm. Let’s throw in homing rockets. Huh. Alright, make most of Mercer’s hard-earned powers useless against the boss. And then make him repeat the fight three times. There! That’s it! There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that he’ll enjoy even a millisecond of this encounter. My work here is done.”

The angel and the devil. That a game can be so much fun and yet so jawdroppingly cruel makes little sense – I would guess it was the problems inherent in finding a compromise between omnipotence and true challenge. Prototype is one of gaming’s all-time greatest playgrounds for sure, a veritable ode to obliteration. A more individual art approach and an acceptance that most people who play it want to mash buttons and watch amazing things happen would have elevated it to one of the best experiences of the year.

As it is, I can gladly recommend it to anyone curious to see what action games are like when they do earnestly try to grant their players’ every wish. You’ll have fun. You probably won’t remember it a year hence, for better or for worse. You may walk away from it after one too many frustrated goes at one of the vertical-learning-curve bosses. But, God help you, when you make Mercer erupt into a hundred 50-foot spikes that instantly dismember anyone within range, you’ll have fun.

Oh yeah – the lack of multiplayer of any kind is absolutely criminal.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Rinox says:

But, God help you, when you make Mercer erupt into a hundred 50-foot spikes that dismember anyone within range, you’ll have fun.

Fuck yes.

2. Aldo says:

Hrm, I’m still not entirely sure whether I want this (especially as the wife will complain about the violence, like she did with FEAR). Perhaps once it hits the magic £15 mark.

3. Theoban says:

I find there’s a million things to be annoyed about, the control system is somewhat strange in places, the targetting system seems to like targetting everything else other than what I want to hit, the graphics are dull and uninspired for most of it, the story is shit and the masses of enemies it throws at you mean I end up dying rather more than I intended.

But what happens is that I think about these after I’ve been playing. While I’m playing I’m kicking helicopters out of the sky, picking up their charred remains and then flinging them at other helicopters. I’m pushing people over in the street then when they get angry I’m spawning massive claws and ripping their intestines out. I’m jumping off the Empire State Building and causing a crater so large Michael Bay would think it’s over the top and a bit gauche.

There’s a lot to be annoyed about, but at the moment I just can’t find it in myself to care.

Although I’ll have to see since it’s just pulled a second dick move and removed most of my powers. Hmm.

4. Freudian Trip says:

I’m not one to pick up on voice acting, hell I didn’t notice it was bad in Oblivion until other people pointed it out to me, and I’ve only played an hour or two (the monstery things in the 3rd screenshot just turned up) but your sister or whoever the ginge is seemed to have a decent actor playing her. Her lines actually sounded real and normal and the emotion fluxes were there. Then you pair her up with Alex “I Don’t Remember” Mercer (thats about all I’ve heard him say, I think they’ve tried to make it a joke but it’s about as funny as having your balls put through a pasta maker) and she sounds like the greatest actor of all time.

5. The Innocent says:

Spot-on review. I was disagreeing with some reviews about the abundance of unblockable knockbacks (most of which you can get away from, though usually by hopping in front of a different rocket — and don’t even get me started on how long Mercer stands on top of those damn tanks to crack his knuckles before he takes them over), and then last night I had this boss fight… It was the first Supreme Hunter, and with two dozen respawning monsters battling two dozen respawning special forces with tanks, it got pretty hectic. For a while I couldn’t stay standing for more than a few seconds, desperately grabbing zombies to consume for health. After a while the fight clicked (the boss still had around 80% health) (BOSS SPOILER) and I just ran around throwing things at him and now and then kicking him in the face. He went down pretty easily once I got the rhythm, and it was VERY satisfying to put that bastard on ice.

So it’s fun, and at times tremendous fun. I didn’t even mind losing all my powers, because even then I was still far too immense to have anyone actually stand up to me. But now and then one of those unblockable attacks comes, and I just want to shout at the screen — which I don’t, because my wife is under the impression that videogames relax me.

6. Fat says:

I think by trying to give the players their ”every wish” the whole game suffered. I played it up until the mission where you have to defend some building (about 4 hours into the game i think) aswell as doing some of the ‘challenges’ and exploring.

I just found the whole world to be so dead and disappointing. The control system was quite bad also, in my opinion. It’s quite easy to run up a building vertically when you were just trying to sprint down the pavement.

It just tries to do so many things and just ends up making a mediocre effort of them all. DEFINITELY didn’t live up to the hype for me, but then again, not many games do with the way they get hyped up over the interwebs these days.

Was there even a demo on the PC yet? So many games end up being a waste of cash because people refuse to let a demo out beforehand like they did in the good old days, 5-10+ years ago. Maybe that’s why they do it though, so that i have to buy their trash just to find out that it sucks.

7. phil says:

Not stumble unwittingly into spoiler town, but isn’t the player character meant to be unlikeable and characterless? Doesn’t the fact that’s almost impossible not to butcher the population of Norwich when you sneeze serve the narrative?

8. Catastrophe says:

I have this game on the Xbox360 (Blasphemy!).

It is very fun indeed. I think this Wot I Think is very accurate.

9. Fat says:

Oh also, it’s rather annoying how when im strafing a monster and trying to spin the camera, it shifts my target reticle to someone stood to the side of him. Pants.

10. luphisto says:

Great review. While the epic magnatude of mercers powers is “goregasmic” the setting is so bland and all the side missions so repetitive that i doubt ill be able to play this game again. Also the constant knockback attacks get very old.

11. Dominic White says:

So, I’m apparently the only person IN THE WORLD who had no problem at all with the apparently impossibly hard/un-fun boss. Aced it in about 10-15 minutes, zero deaths. Not only that, but I used a variety of moves and techniques to beat it.

Keep in mind that the first tutorial-level boss of Devil May Cry 3 has schooled me. I’m no gaming god. It’s really not that hard. How people are having so much trouble with it is just baffling to me.

As for that ‘instant kill’ attack. It isn’t. There’s about a five second HUGE tell – the boss glows orange brightly – and then it goes into SUPER-SLOWMO to let you dodge it, should you still have not gotten the clue, and are sitting right at the center of the attack. Even then, it’s not instantly fatal if you have the Adrenaline power (which you get right at the start).

I even did it without dying on Hard mode, where Hunters can tear you to shreds in seconds. Seriously, it’s not nearly as bad as you make out.

So bar, been one of my favourite games of the year, and I’m almost done with my second playthrough.

12. derFeef says:

Spent some hours with it. It really is fun but its getting frustrating. 10 tanks, 3 helicopters and 4 infected hunters unload everything they get onto you – jeeeze.

13. LewieP says:

Well, I’m further sold on it.

14. Alec Meer says:

It wasn’t that hard, Dominic. The greater problem was it was miserable and long-winded as all hell. it’s also an entirely different discipline to what you’ve been doing thus far. Which may well be fine for someone raised on more technical brawlers like DMC, but it’s jarring compared to the general level of anything-goes smackitude in Prototype.

15. psyk says:

“I find there’s a million things to be annoyed about, the control system is somewhat strange in places, the targeting system seems to like targeting everything else other than what I want to hit, the graphics are dull and uninspired for most of it, the story is shit”

Yep this

16. Simon says:

What I’ve found (this is a bit spoilerish so don’t read it if you like banging your head) is that the best strategy against almost every boss (including the worm) is to enable the armor power, sprint and jump constantly and just use the special whipfist attack.

There isn’t much in the game that can’t be killed this way, although it is fairly tedious.

Since you can normally run and jump away from most of the enemies and the whipfist has almost unlimited range, it reduces the difficulty greatly.

Granted, I still had to pick up and eat a few zombies on the way to stay alive.

Although, all that being said, I’m now a little stuck myself.. after the worm boss, you get thrown into a mission which I am finding very difficult. I won’t say too much else for fear of spoilers but I’m not sure I will end up finishing the game at this rate.

17. BigJonno says:

I thought everyone whinging about the bosses were whiney little sods until I got to the Times Square boss. It’s ridiculously boring. Defeated all the others first time, didn’t even hate the escort missions (and I LOATHE escort missions,) but that boss is horrible.

It’s annoying, because I’m itching to write an article on one of the things Alex touched on, but I need to finish the damn thing first.

18. MA6200 says:

Yeah, the Times Square boss was just a bore, but I loved everything about this game. After I was granted some of the movement abilities, I think I just ran around the city for a few hours straight trying to master the controls – it was a blast – it sort of fit with the story, too. New powers, taking time to hop from rooftop to rooftop to master before you went about your goals. The game is just FUN.

19. Lewis says:

Very much looking forward to playing this. It’s been heartily recommended to me by a few people now.

20. Taillefer says:

(I haven’t actually finished the game yet, but still)
    I feel it’s the biggest failing of the game that it doesn’t utilise the city enough. Especially in the way that the free roam city is separate from the missions, when I start a mission I expect it to just begin, but it resets changes I made, and sets everything up specifically for that mission, it’s not a persistent city. Imagine the Times Square battle was a massive, mutated, blobby thing, as big as a building, which used the whole city as the battle field. Creeping through the streets to track you down, giant tentacles piercing through entire buildings to try and reach you, a battle that seems like it could end with the entire city being destroyed. Instead (and all boss battles do this so far) it restricts you to some tiny area of the city and instantly kills you when you leave it. It builds up so much good faith as you play, then removes it all in an instant, over and over again.

I also found the lack of humanity off-putting. I was always conscious of killing civilians, and I never wanted to do it. I was surprised the game just didn’t care. In fact it tells me how many I killed, as though it’s an achievement and I always feel like they didn’t have to die. Everybody Alex meets seems equally unconcerned with how many people you kill on their behalf. Not the most endearing bunch.
    Alex, you saved me! …You killed HOW many innocent people to do that? What the hell is wrong with you?”

Overall though, the game is surprising amounts of fun. A truly guilty pleasure. And if you want to try the challenges, there’s a lot to keep you busy for a while.

The instructions for pulling off moves were often pretty unclear to me. But one tip for those using keyboard and mouse is that when it tells you to double tap a direction, it means you can use the ‘sprint button + direction’ instead. I found that far easier for air dashes and such like.

If you struggle at any point, jump around and use the whip.

21. DSX says:

From all the trailers I was really anticipating this game, all the explodey wide-open action looked like it would be really fun, and people raved about the Hulk game being similarly fun.

But the actual game play is sort of a let down. With the exception of the over the top boss annoyances, there really is no other challenge, I found it’s either extremely easy or idiotically hard, with no middle ground pacing. Perhaps it’s just living up to it’s name… nice to look at, but it’s just not complete.

22. Tei says:

This is maybe the first game I have finished this year, and the past year maybe. Its short, if you rush the historys missions, and play in easy. But is very rewarding.
    The history may not make much sense, you get lost on the twist evil/noevil/monster.

You are half-beowulf, half-grendel. I love this game.

And you can play it in a non-violent way. On the first hours of the game (post the intro) you can walk on the city much like a tourist, much like a civilian on GTAIV.

Prototype has made me want to play GTAIV to compare both cities :-)

23. SirKicksalot says:

I feel like I’m inside Michael Bay’s mind when playing this. Love it.

24. Alex Hopkinson says:

The final third of Hulk:UD did feature some painfully stupid missions/encounters that threatened to destroy all the goodwill the game had generated. Luckily the frustrations there were on the tolerable side, when compared to the rest of the game, but it does sound like (from here and QT3) the devs may have made more such mistakes this time around.

25. Azhrarn says:

“Is Alex Mercer supposed to be an utterly empty vessel of a human being or what? I’d rather pay for and listen to the Paris Hilton album than stand listening to Mercer grumble about how he doesn’t remember another second.”

@Freudian Trip: Considering what Alex turns out to be (and I won’t spoil that here) I don’t find it surprising he’s essentially an empty shell of a man. In a way, the actor portraying the man did a remarkably good job showing what Alex essentially is.
    A ruthless heartless bastard, which given the mentioned spoiler is no surprise.

26. Tei says:

My only problem with the game is the skyline of the city outside the island. Is horrible, feel draw by a 4 years old.

27. Y3k-Bug says:

I think if Radical wisely takes all these criticisms to heart, Prototype 2 can potentially be one of he better games in he forseeable future.

28. Markoff Chaney says:

I hope a demo drops so I can try this out. On another note, we get an anagram out of the protagonists’ name. Alec Meer, RX. Glad to see the right man took the pill for this review. I’m grateful we got our just medicine from the reviewer. I’m sorry. That was ‘orrible. 2 strikes and I’m out.

29. cullnean says:

Y3k-Bug says:

No, new ip please

30. Ian says:

How much fun is the travelling about in this game? Spider-Man 2 and (to a lesser extent, but a more relevant comparison) Hulk: UD lasted longer than they might otherwise have for me because just travelling around was good fun.

31. mandrill says:

I want multiplayer of this in an open world, and all the abilities unlocked. Think of the carnage we could cause together. Join me, you know it makes sense.

32. Tei says:

Strange comment:

The game has some inability to manage small thing. The smaller thing you can take is probably a weapon. The character is soo powerfull, he can’t drive a car. All he do is TAKE the whole car to launch it. In a way, this is a disability. He has to walk to work, he can’t drive to work. (humm… or jump and glide).

He has also a problem of attitude walking in masses.. much like the boy from assasin creed, pushing people around. But here is attitude is soo fatal, he can kill people for not reason, not even tryiing to. Killing is soooo casual in this game. Is like the “Wot it think” say: The game don’t care about kllings.

33. PaulMorel says:

I liked Prototype, but yeah, that boss encounter with Elizabeth Greene was just a wee bit frustrating. For anyone who hasn’t played it yet, the boss fight with Greene is most comparable to the boss fight at the end of Tomb Raider: Legend … in other words, it’s frustrating, and nearly impossible.

Still, with the exception of that fight, the game is pretty great.

My recommendation to all: set it on Easy and enjoy … trust me, beating it on Medium or Hard is not going to give you a sense of satisfaction … it’s not that kind of game.

34. Lewis says:

Greg’s just subbed his review over at Reso. Another rather glowing one. Definitely need to play this.

35. Weylund says:

Christ, that’s disappointing. I really wanted no-holds-barred gameplay. No-holds-barred is hard to do, though, I suppose. It’s much easier to let the inner artist creep in and make it *meaningful*. Or maybe I’m just talking about myself. :-)

36. superking208 says:

I’ve noticed the parallels between this and inFAMOUS, which also just came out. The main differences seem to be that you can be Good in inFAMOUS, and it’s also a PS3 exclusive, but anyway: “oh, there’s still a chance the player might be having even a tiny bit of fun here”; there are invisible, toaster-sized flying robots that are programmed to avoid your reticle like those green cunts in Geometry Wars. Oh, and they shoot fire grenades at you that throw you on your ass. So, just observing another parallel…

37. PaulMorel says:

@Weylund: It comes pretty darn close to “no-holds-barred gameplay.” Probably the closest that you’re going to get in the foreseeable future. On Easy, it’s pretty much a free-for-all, destroy-as-much-as-you-can -fest.

38. Dominic White says:

My mention of DMC3 wasn’t that I’m good at that kind of game. It’s that the very first boss in it repeatedly flattened me, and yet I didn’t die once to any of the bosses in Prototype on Normal difficulty, and only went down a couple of times (first and last bosses) on Hard.

And they hardly make most of your skills useless. Just your up-close brawling ones. You still have a hojillion powers and skills, and you have to use all of them. Oh, and keep moving. Never, ever stop moving. Sprint constantly and nothing can reliably hit you. Take damage? Keep running, grab a soldier on the go, dive behind some cover and eat him, then get back up to speed.

39. SirKicksalot says:

The protagonist is voiced by Barry Pepper, the blond sniper from Saving Private Ryan. And the main character of Battlefield Earth…

40. Weylund says:

@PaulMorel: Hmm. Thank you. $50 for pretty close, though? I’m not sure. Maybe with a price drop. I was ready to buy now if the thing played like it looked like it would. Getting knocked on my ass for hours and then having my powers taken away sounds frustrating.

41. Hoernchen says:

There is a lot of useless stuff in it – why would I ever feel the need to use an innocent bystander als a surfboard ? Why use the claws if there is a massive blade available ? Why is the “boss” in the middle of the game huge, impressive, and hard to kill, but the final boss is not ? And… GOD DAMN GREEN STUN ORBS.

42. Bhazor says:

Really if you’re standing still long enough to be hit you’re doing it wrong.

43. joe says:

Does that ever actually happen? Developers take the ‘right’ criticisms to heart, and make a sequel that is everything the game the first should have been, and it is thus, awesome?

HL1 was awesome, and HL2 was awesome. The general feeling I get is that developers either continue to make the same mistakes, or just don’t make them in the first place. Or they make shit sequels to decent games.

Maybe I’m just feeling particularly faithless.

44. joe says:

I was responding to:

Y3k-Bug says:

45. Vandelay says:

Quite tempted by this. I imagine that this could end up being an impulse buy on Steam, if it weren’t for the ludicrous price. If they half it (currently £34.99) I might take the plunge.

The slight frustration of boss battles aside* the game seems to get most things right. Playing as an all powerful killing machine seems to be such an obvious setting for a game and yet so many seem to get it wrong. Particular true with PC games.

* something that usually doesn’t bother me, except for the one in PoP:Two Thrones against the two guys, one with an axe the other with a sword. That took forever to complete and was made even more infuriating by not being able to skip the cutscene that precedes it.

46. Tei says:

My favorite weapon is the claws. Maybe slighty less damage than the blades, but it has a ranged attack that is area of effect, I target my enemy, and spawn that attack till is dead. Is like the “tree of spikes”, but directional.

47. Dominic White says:

Really, the claim that “you’re knocked infuriatingly off your feet every other second” is the mark of someone who hasn’t figured out the movement system. Even right at the end of the game, you’re fast enough to evade and outrun EVERYTHING.

A tip: Hop lightly then air-dash just as you’re about to land. This gets you from 0-100mph in one move, and if you use the Shield power, then you flip cars out of the way, rather than losing momentum hopping over them.

Yes, this is a game about having godlike powers of destruction. The primary enemy, however, are the US military, who have more firepower than god. The moment you learn to outmaneuver and outrun them, you’re golden.

Or you get knocked flat on your arse again and again and complain. One or the other.

48. Dominic White says:

Oh yeah – my main gripe about the game is that the enemy forces don’t scale up as much as in Hulk: UD. In Hulk, huge boss-class enemies like the Hulkbuster Destroyers get redeployed as regular enemy types, whearas in Prototype, the biggest enemies (Leader Hunters and Thermobaric Tanks) only appear in a couple of story missions.

I’d love to have seen the conflict escalate to the point where both of those enemy types appear regularly.

What I’m saying is that I wanted bigger, nastier, angrier enemies trying to kill me and each other.

49. Alec Meer says:

“the mark of someone who hasn’t figured out the movement system”

Alternatively, that a great number of people are complaining about the knockbacks in the later stages suggests the system hasn’t been implemented/taught/balanced well. Whether or not superelite gentlemen such as yourself have apparently done better with it, that doesn’t negate the concerns of others.

50. juv3nal says:

Playing this on 360 and having a blast. I basically have only progressed in the story missions enough to unlock a handful of abilities and now I just go randomly rampaging. The story missions probably suck, I haven’t really done enough of them to know. The textures definitely are not great. But I don’t care because it’s such a laugh chucking cars around and eviscerating people and having them scream and flee. I laughed out loud the first time I was walking along and instead just pushing a pedestrian out of the way, Alex clotheslines/slaps them out of the way. That’s how much of a dick he is. Which is hilarious.