Astral Projection: Allods Online

By Jim Rossignol on June 19th, 2009 at 1:57 pm.

This caught my eye earlier, perhaps because it involves dimension-hopping flying ships. It’s a Russian MMO that is perhaps best described as being something like “World Of Fantasy Naval Combat On The Astral Plane”. Allods Online is a fantasy MMO in which players adventure in the astral, and take up arms for two factions which are duking it out in giant magical galleons. Between, presumably, bouts of grinding mobs of astral demons that are kicking about in the various locations you can travel between. The two trailers below introduce the game idea and show some of the ship-to-ship combat that players will be getting involved in. Intriguing stuff.

CGI intro trailer:

Actual game footage with dodgy voiceover:

Here’s a bunch of images of the ships:

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Eschatos says:

Why are they all carrying bows and swords when the existence of cannons implies guns being available?

2. Dave says:

I like the concept, but that was some of the least exciting CGI sword combat ever made. I’m guessing the game itself is not much better.

So many people whine “why’d they make this an MMO?” In this case I think it’s justified… standing next to a cannon, waiting for it to reload, and firing it once in a while accompanied by a goofy animation just doesn’t sound like a great time.

skalpadda says:

If that voice over guy narrates the whole game experience I’ll buy it!

4. Crescent says:

Fancy graphics, but this looks like it’ll get repetitive fast cus it’s only about ship-to-ship combat and pretty much nothing else. Not really my kind of game..

Kelron says:

@Eschatos

I’m fairly sure handheld guns weren’t in common usage until a century or two after cannons, even longer before they made bows obsolete. Regardless, it’s a fantasy world where they fly around purple space in boats and wear silly armour. I don’t think realism is a consideration there.

6. Dominic White says:

Ooh, looks like the game is published by GPotato, who also host the european version of the surprisingly great arcade-brawler-MMO Dragonica Online.

As far as I’m aware, all of GPotatos games are free + cash-shop too, so everyone wins.

7. Dominic White says:

Ooh. Apparently this is from the same studio that made Heroes of Might & Magic 5, along with its many expansions, so they’re not some amateur bunch either.

8. Tei says:

Graphically I think is the best WoW clone, but also adds some interesting ideas. But making a MMORPG is just a bad idea. You can’t out-cocacola the CocaCola company, and you can’t win Blizzard out-wow-WoW. So, who knows? maybe even after this amazing show of taste, skills, talent and hard work, this end in nothing at all.

Looking forward to it, but very pesimist. It will be a good game, but not even a good game can win now, I fear.

9. Dominic White says:

Again, it’s going to be FREE, and free + cashshop MMOs are currently rising to new strengths at the moment, both bringing in huge playerbases and slowly becoming games worth playing in their own right.

It’s not going to be competing directly with WoW. It’s going to be competing, if anything, with Freerealms and its ilk.

On that note, Freerealms, Dragonica, Atlantica Online, Granado Espada and a couple of others are free (or mostly free), and worth playing. Here’s hoping Allods is another good’un.

10. Bossman says:

This MMO is set into the same universe as the old Rage of Mages games. Those were pretty nice action RPGs.

11. Catastrophe says:

Looked interesting until they said “The sails are made from magical cloth!” and “Astral monsters”. Sounded as though a 5 year old wrote his script. Also Axes versus LAZER CANNONS?!

12. Dominic White says:

Catastrophe: Never seen the official (and VERY old) D&D Spelljammer setting, I take it?

I even recall there was a Spelljammer PC game ages back.

13. Elusive Pastry says:

Dominic: Heroes of Might and Magic V was terrible :p

14. Lobotomist says:

Amazing

This looks completely like Spelljammer.

Also. Its very unusual to see graphic representation of (D&D) Astral plane. Which in itself is quite difficult to understand.

I must say that i am greatly intrigued

15. Mr Chug says:

Flying ships with cannons and sword fighting? Sounds a bit like Skies of Arcadia.

16. Dave says:

People keep saying stuff like this…

Just as there’s plenty of room in the soda market for profitable companies that are smaller than Coke, and plenty of room in the ocean for carnivorous fish smaller than great white sharks, there’s plenty of room for successful MMOs that do not have 30 godzillion players.

17. Serondal says:

I see people running around on the astral plane but I don’t see their astral anchor that is holding them to their body on the prime material plane. That makes me think they’re there mind and body! VERY DANGEROUS! Watch out for mind flayers and all that jazz!

18. Diogo Ribeiro says:

You know what I’d like? A MMO where dimension-hopping means travelling through already existing MMO’s. Like a planewalker, gliding past Azeroth on an EVE Online Manticore then warping straight into Conan’s Aquilonia.

Yeah.

19. undead dolphin hacker says:

Dominic: Heroes of Might and Magic V was terrible :p
    No it wasn’t.

20. Dominic White says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t ever call HOMM5 a classic, but it was good, solid fun. The many expansions improved it somewhat as well. My positive opinion may be slightly skewed by the fact that I got the entire HOMM series in a huge fancy boxed set at PC World for only £30 though.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic here, but as far as I can see, this is a free-to-play MMO from a veteran studio, with an interesting setting (based on an existing RPG line, too), and published by a fairly decent company. Helps that GPotatos EU servers are located in Ireland, so UK folks will get teensy tiny pings.

So long as the core gameplay isn’t dull, it should be worth at least a download and a play.

21. Megazver says:

The best part of Allods Online is this picture:

Russians are kicking it old-school.

22. Hümmelgümpf says:

Judging by what I’ve heard from beta testers on Russian forums, it’s a cheap Spelljammer/WoW knock-off with a very questionable sense of humor.

23. Psychopomp says:

Wow, some people think this, graphically, looks like a WoW clone?

When was the last time you lot picked up a Final Fantasy game?

24. Redford says:

They are going to have to do very well indeed to beat out Atlantica. I wish them the best of luck.

25. Thingus says:

I do like the idea of players having to use teamwork to fly their ships; it’s a very Air Buccaneer-ish thing. Having had some experience with GPotato games before, thought, I’ve got my doubts about the PvE. FlyFF was incredibly grindy.

26. Dominic White says:

The level of grind is dictated almost entirely by the developers. The publishers are just the one hosting and marketing the game, so you can’t really judge gameplay based on publisher.

What you can judge is hosting quality, speed and quality of support and other such things that they are in charge of.

27. Griffinheart says:

This has to be the least exciting MMO I’ve ever seen…and, my goodness, that narrator nearly put me to sleep. What I want out of a trailer is something flashy and/or cool. Hearing about how the crew comes together to maintain the ship is neither.