Continuing Sky Wars: Air Buccaneers

By Jim Rossignol on June 20th, 2009 at 7:13 pm.

Update: Server is still up, so let’s get some Sunday afternoon games going for people who missed out on last night. Shall we try and fill the server again tonight at 8pm UK time?

Get the mod here, and make sure you get the .zip version for the Steam version of UT2004. If you’ve not played before, play the in-game tutorial!

The air wars were still raging when I dropped out last night, so do pop by if you’re able. Highlight of the evening was the mass suicide-boarding of an enemy battleship, leaving our battleship unmanned and drifting, only to be re-crewed via rocket-glider. Now that’s a videogame, yes sir.

Thanks to everyone who turned up last night, it seems Air Buccaneers lives again.

For more info look here and here.

1. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I got booted off, which is a bit annoying as the mod is a lot more fun when you’ve got fully crewed fleets of ships having at one another.

2. Massive Sheep says:

I’ve been thinking about starting a “revival” service for a while now – this whole Air Buccaneers thing makes me think it’s worthwhile.

You could have a system were people vote for games they want a server for. The top 5 get a server set up for them. The running cost would be pretty low (get a rented dedicated server from any colo reseller, or just buy a bunch of virtual machines, one per server). You could cover the costs with Google Ads, or small donations for players.

*puts on thinking cap*

3. AiglosCelt says:

I was horrified to find that I couldn’t even FIND the server once I’d gotten AB installed >: Any other way of joining?

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Aiglos: Do you have AB activated? You can join the IP directly 85.236.100.18:8077

5. AiglosCelt says:

^hero, thanks, I’ll give it a try!

6. Jim Rossignol says:

Server remains packed, anyway.

7. Scoops says:

Yarrr, I was in thee servyarrr and got tha boot. waiting on an open slot……………yarr

8. Petethegoat says:

I was just on that server. Terrific, frankly. It definitely needs a remake or some such. The concept is fantastic. Good times.

9. Wilson says:

Game is awesome fun! I joined at 6:30 since I thought this might happen. Was half full then. Very nice thought to get people playing the mod, I never tried it properly before now, but I’m glad I had the opportunity here. Thanks RPS!

10. Arca says:

Battleships could still do with a health buff, but eh… good times. We got hilariously stomped during the battleship duel map, but were kicking ass at MOVDOM and general DM for the most part. Derp.

11. Darkelth says:

Awesome! It really brings back some old golden memories. Thank you for this noble doing!

12. Schalken says:

I think that’s a fantastic idea, Massive Sheep.

13. Howard says:

That was indeed good fun. Much daffyness and general running about but some good solid play in there too. GG all!

14. Paradukes says:

Funniest thing I’ve seen: A bag of gunpowder lands on the deck of our battle ship. As one man, we all jump overboard, grapple to the bottom, and wait for it to blow.

15. Benny says:

Ah i suck so much at this. But mucho fun tho. More of the same, maybe next week/weekend, would be good :)

16. CakeAddict says:

Been having a lot of fun this evening, been going on and off.
    I love the battleship only maps where teamwork really is essential and the boarding aaaah.. best thing ever.

17. dartt says:

Man! Must have been in that game for about 4 hours or so! Great fun; I hope everyone makes the most of the server while it lasts :)

18. Tye The Czar says:

I think it’s imperative that we spread around quality mods like this. That’s one of the MSU contest winners and like the others, they don’t get ANY attention.

19. Davee says:

God damn! I totally forgot about it! *Fires up Air Bucaneers to see if anyone is still playing*

20. Man Raised By Puffins says:

And I got back on again.

Finally got the hang of the ropes, to the extent that I’m almost happy enough to swan-dive off my balloon and take on any ruffians dangling beneath. Still much more fond of manning the cannons though.

21. Thingus says:

I went on from around 6 to 7ish, and had an amazing time :D Was absolutely useless (kept falling off the battleship trying to load the cannon :S), but it was still fantastic.

22. Massive Sheep says:

@Schalken: I’ll get started immediately. :)

23. Gap Gen says:

WHY ARE YOU NOT DYING REPEATEDLY FROM PEOPLE YOU COULDN’T SEE / FRIENDLY FIRE / WONDERING WHAT “EJECT” MEANS WHILE IN A HELICOPTER OVER THE OCEAN IN ARMA2?

24. Ripsteakjaw says:

This article sure was informative for anyone not already an expert on all things Air Bucaneers

25. Wedge says:

Oh damn I forgot and played Planetside instead.

26. binkbankbonk says:

uh. Could some information possibly be provided?

27. MrBejeebus says:

is it neccesary to have UT2004 installed?

i do have the game, but for mac :(

28. Clippit says:

Damn, missed out, when’s the “next one”?

29. Senethro says:

Did all the “Huh?” comments in this thread find it too much effort to click one of the related stories links?

30. dan says:

@Senethro

I think so, yeah.

Also: Awesome fun! Even though I was terrible at it!

31. dartt says:

@MrBejeebus Yep, you need UT2004 installed. I imagine (someone please correct me if I’m being too optimistic) that the mod will work for the Mac version so long as it’s up to date.

Ah, it may also be necessary to get the UMOD installer rather than the EXE or ZIP installers.

32. dan says:

The server is still up, it would seem.

33. LionsPhil says:

Argh, you said next Saturday.

34. Jim Rossignol says:

I said this Saturday.

35. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

This mod sounds fantastic from what I’ve been reading. Thanks to Good Old GOG, I’m now downloading UT2004, ready for the next session.

36. Senethro says:

My favorite maps were the battleship duel maps where organisation and cooperation of 8 man crews was more important than the individual skills of solo deathmatchers. If someone wants to throw up a server they have control over next weekend I’d play a Duel-only, Big Crew Required evening from 7-10pm.

37. Howard says:

Having played this game into the wee hours last night I think I can now see why the mod failed and no one plays it anymore:
    It simply does not scale well with the number of players.
    While just about every other FPS, team based game out there can happily be played with half the amount of players per team, this cannot. Anything less that 8 or so per team and it just turns into a bit of a shambles.
    When it *does* work though it is damned good fun so I shall be popping on the server each night even if Jim doesn’t announce a game to see if anyone else is in the mood for a bit of swash and buckle =)

38. Jim Rossignol says:

I think 5v5 works fine, but that’s about the minimum.

39. Howard says:

GAH! The post was updated while I posted the above! DOH!
    Well I for one should be on again tonight. Hope to see you lot there once more =)

40. Howard says:

(really wishing for the edit function to return now…)
    @Jim
    5v5 *can* work but, last night at least, every time we were reduced to that number suddenly all the players went solo in the smaller ships rather than working together in the larger one so the fight turned into a bit of a farce as people tried to be gunner and pilot at the same time.

41. Crane says:

Last night was marvellous fun.

My personal moment of glory came when I singlehandedly downed an enemy battleship with gunpowder, then, when boarded, leapt from my balloon to dangle from a rope, before shimmying back up and surprising the boarders who thought I’d died.

Then I tried to jump and swing again, and went splat. :-P

A brilliant game though, and one of the least frustrating online experiences I think I’ve ever had.

Special shout-outs to me hearty CakeAddict!

42. H says:

That was hilarious fun, I thoroghly enjoyed it even though I am rubbish of the highest order (playing as Heron). I haven’t had that much fun in a long time.

It needs more servers and the game could do with some polish (that’s as in Mr Sheen not as in Warsaw) but it’s so much fun everyone should try it.

43. Howard says:

I still don’t quite get the scoring system; it seems unfairly balanced towards the cannoneers.
    I spent most of my time piloting the bigger ships last night (and doing so rather well I might add) but it was only on the odd occasion that I would get recognition for my endeavors when we took down an enemy ship. Not the end of the world as its not about the individual scores but just a little frustrating getting no reward, as it were, for your hard work.

44. Nurdbot says:

Oh god, please let there be another one of these next week, I’m considering getting UT04 for it!

45. Jim Rossignol says:

Cannoneers get score from killing enemy crew. The pilot only scores if you down another balloon.

46. Paradukes says:

Well done to Senethro as a pilot. That battleship was wreaking some serious havoc.

47. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Crane: I had a very similar escapade. I was getting badly mauled (I think my cog was limpin’ as she went) by a battleship, itself on its last legs from earlier scrapes, and by chance of wind and using a handy boost got close enough to finish her off with some hastily loaded gunpowder. Cue a sword fight with two of her scurvy crew who had latched on beneath (like barnacles, one might say), with dartt providing encouragement from the sidelines, which ended as I missed roping back onto my cog after I had chased them off the side for the second time.

48. Cutman says:

Who says we need to wait until Saturday? Let’s play all the time forever!

49. Professor says:

Augh I lost my manual and therefore my CD key for UT2k4. I can take pictures, I really do own the game but I lost the CD key. Does any kind soul have a spare CD key they’re willing to share with me?

50. Professor says:

I’m willing to trade it for an AvP2 cd key and a BF1942 cd key.