Autó-demo Internacional: V8 Superstars Racing

By Jim Rossignol on June 20th, 2009 at 2:00 pm.

Black Bean‘s new racer, V8 Superstars Racing, has a demo out. The touring car game is looking fairly buff, and this 391mb demo allows you to race around the Portimao racetrack in Portugal, aka Autódromo Internacional do Algarve. Download it here. The full game is out later this month. The hivemind is hoping that Black Bean will soon turn their attention to tractor racing.

, .

1. MrBejeebus says:

tractor pulling, they do that at the steam rally near me every year, so polluting, shouldnt RPS be more green?

im not a fan of driving games on pc, i prefer using a controller with sticks

2. Jim Rossignol says:

“shouldnt RPS be more green?”

Not when it’s as funny as tractor racing.

3. AndrewC says:

When I was in Canada I saw ploughing races. None of this Xtreem racing with souped up monster tractors. Just a field full of dirt with normal tractors competing to finish rows of perfectly straight furrows in the quickest time.

It, also, was hilarious. It also felt somehow more PC to me.

4. Howard says:

@MrBejeebus
    So…buy a PC controller…with sticks…no…? O_o

5. AndrewC says:

Hrrm, I’m not sure what critical skills are necessary to differentiate all these reasonable realistic racers, but I lack them.

6. Heliocentricity says:

Does it have time rewind? If not grid and trackmania win by default.

7. nakke says:

This is an absolute joke. Max resolution of 1680×1050, no G25 support (it doesn’t support the pedals, manual says you should use the buttons on the steering wheel instead.. wtf?), and it doesn’t even support analog steering with the 360 pad. Lol.

8. MrBejeebus says:

i prefer racers on console (thats just me) because my pc is kind of poo at the moment :)

and nakke, it is just a demo, although if it is coming out soon, then that is quite silly…

9. Jay says:

I already deleted the thing of my hdd and do not want to try that again, but the 360 pad seemed to be supported good enough. Not sure what nakke complains about :/

That said – the experience was horrible. The graphics are so so, the framerate acceptable, but the gameplay sucked big time. Cardboard racing at its finest. Waste of time if you are into racing games.

10. nakke says:

Well, I was just believing what people said on the virtualr comment thread, didn’t bother installing it myself. Seems to be a poor port regardless. Well, the Shift demo should be coming soon, one can only hope it is really what Bli…I mean SLIGHTLY MAD STUDIOS says it is.

11. ZIGS says:

Being from Portugal, I have to try this one out :)

12. Howard says:

@nakke

Are you SERIOUS?! O_O

That is astonishing…

13. Gpig says:

It’s really been Rossignol, Paper, Shotgun the last few days. Not that I’m complaining.

14. cowthief skank says:

ZIGS: Are there any (reasonably good) games in Portuguese? Estou aprendendo Português e gostaria de um jogo (?) em Português.

15. Jim Rossignol says:

It’s really been Rossignol, Paper, Shotgun the last few days.

Things are a bit quiet at Castle Shotgun. We’ll be closer to normality next week, but June as a whole will be fairly slow with people away, or buried in other work.

16. Heliocentricity says:

Just putting this out there. My son would love to play a game where you drive milk floats, tractors, diggers, street sweepers or any number of not another racing car vehicles. Trackmania has a few interesting models on the net, but if anyone can point out some non conventional driving games that would be great.

But if you are a driving game developer, and your engine doesn’t support checkpoint return or time rewind my advice is get a new engine and start again. Even if you turn it off by default in the realism settings, the precident has been set. Even though codemasters are chodes who try and force you to pay for cheats grid is the benchmark now. Seriously.

17. ZIGS says:

@ cowthief skank

‘fraid not >_>

18. IcyBee says:

Hmmm. I’m not sure if it’s wise to produce a racing game that’s inferior to GRID and then release a demo that features exactly the same track as the one in the GRID demo.

19. Blather Blob says:

I’ve noticed VirtualR has been very disappointed in this game, even when it was just releasing gameplay videos (while they seem to be holding out hope for NFS: Shift still). So I’m not expecting too much from it, but I might as well give it a try.

@Heliocentricity: Have you tried the free Rigs of Rods yet? It doesn’t really have any sort of racing/any-sort-of-gameplay-at-all modes yet (at least last time I tried it), but it does have a huge variety of cars to drive around the huge number of maps, with more to download from their users. Also Lego Racers (tried it on GameTap) lets you build whatever sort of car you want, though they still all look like they’re made of LEGO, obv. It’s more of a Mario Kart-style game, too.

20. Dave says:

I saw a tractor pull once. It was the dullest spectator sport EVER. 3 seconds of racing followed by 15 minutes of setup.

21. cowthief skank says:

ZIGS: That is a shame. I know of only one (Tríade, featured right here a few months ago) but it seems less-than-perfect and I’m not sure if I can bring myself to play it just to practise.

22. iSoLateD1 says:

The demo does support 1920×1200.