Zeno Clash Enters The Pit: Free DLC This Weekend

By John Walker on June 24th, 2009 at 9:55 pm.

Quite how they managed to make their pretty game look this bland for a released screenshot we're not sure.

ACE Team have just announced plans to release a new batch of free DLC for our well loved Zeno Clash. It’s to be called The Pit, and will offer three new Challenge levels for leaderboard competing. ACE explain, “Destructible floors and traps await the skilled who want to reach the bottom of the pit alive.” This will be accompanied by a 50% off deal via Steam over the weekend, for any who missed the super-fun first-person fisticuffs the first time. There’s a video of the new content below.

Those collapsing floors look pretty awesome, methinks. Well, bring on the weekend.

__________________

« | »

1. Vinraith says:

Free added content + 50% off sale = maybe I’ll buy this one after all. I should give the demo another try…

2. Elusive Pastry says:

Awesome, thanks for the advance notice! I was waiting for another sale before picking it up.

3. Bergotronic says:

Free?! I like the sound of that!

4. fdsgdshdhsdh says:

Iwas just thinknig about buying this one kewl

5. cubed2d says:

did they just punch c3po in to a pit of boiling lava? it sure did look like they just punched c3po in to a pit of boiling lava…..

6. Space Cadet Harris says:

@cubed2d

I thought the same thing :(

7. Dead Fish says:

Awesome! I really liked the Challenge Mode. Most people on my Steam friends list finished the story but didn’t bother beyond the second tower floor for some reason.

Makes me think of Fallout’s The Pitt…

8. Serondal says:

We’ve got pit demons, pits with monsters hiding in them, Pittsburg which is scary in and of itself. What happen in our history that makes us so afraid of the very word Pit that we named one of our nastiest body parts after it?

9. Alex says:

I wonder if Golem will kick himself in the balls and deliver some more loaded lines at the end of this challenge.

10. Centy says:

I can’t wait for this to come out and make me play it again hopefully the long awaited Editor will be coming out soon after.

11. yutt says:

They should have made this “too big for DLC” and then released it as Zeno Clash 2 a few months down the road.

Fun game, beautiful visuals, bizarre (but engaging) story. My only complaint is that it wasn’t as long as I would have liked given the full price. Free DLC definitely goes a ways toward remedying that.

12. Y3k-Bug says:

1) lol yutt

2) An absolutely fabulous game, I’ve come to eagerly follow the developers of this game, and I wish them all the best. Just really talented, creative guys.

13. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

downloading the demo atm…8 euros might be the right price for it..

14. toni says:

i payed full price on release and it was worth every penny. but i don’t like the challenges, I like my game to have a story or be multiplayer only.

15. Linfosoma says:

I never finished this game (I know, I know) so maybe this will give me a reason to reinstall it.
    The lack of a cohesive story was very notable though.

16. DigitalSignalX says:

next DLC: Broken Steel, where you fight one armed animated mechs.

17. Doctor Doc says:

Awesome, I didn’t think I would be reinstalling this one so soon!

18. Feintlocke says:

For those thinking of taking the plunge, this game is definitely worth £7 (the sale price). I had a blast with it and couldn’t complain about the length of the campaign for that kind of money.

I didn’t really bother with the challenge levels after completing the campaign so I’m more interested in talk of a sequel than this DLC.

19. Reverend Speed says:

Ace!

20. Devan says:

Woohoo! Yay for Ace Team!

21. PaulMorel says:

Everyone seems to disagree with me on this, but I thought this game was just okay. Great graphics. Great setting, and story-telling. And also, I applaud ACE Team for making a game that doesn’t involve space marines, or Tolkein-derived creatures.

Still, the gameplay is clunky. The combat system is cool, but it is not smooth, or necessarily intuitive.

And the level design is full of fail. Most of the levels are linear corridors.

The game is innovative. At $10 it’s a bargain; especially if you are a jaded FPSer who is tired of the same old formula.

Nonetheless, I will be more excited for the sequel, where, hopefully, ACE Team can remedy the flaws in this game, and put together a AAA title.

22. Hulk Hogan says:

Now this is DLC I can believe in!

23. JuJuCam says:

Aw I just bought it at full Steam price…

24. Joseph says:

“I wonder what it is about us humans that makes us fear pits so much. Is it the dark, where we once hunted by something that came from a pit?”

I think it’s because once you fall into a pit, you can’t get out, and you are going to die. Also, chances are it’s home to some beast or other who’s going to make your stay there even less welcoming.

25. pignoli says:

50% off you say? And I just got payed the bank says? Truely, this is too much for me to take, plus I’ve been meaning to pick this up since the great ‘convo-review’ of 2009. Sold!

26. Waste_Manager says:

Might just pick this up now

27. Wedge says:

I love the patches and tweaks they put into fixing it after launch all based on user feedback. And I did actually beat all the challenge arenas, so I’m definitely up for more.

28. GRIMDARK says:

wow Free DLC? For some reason I thought it was pay? I’m considering this game is a get then.

29. Smurfy says:

It’s not DLC if it’s
    a) Free
    2) for a download-only game

It’s an update.

30. Dominic White says:

Given that DLC is just an abbreviation for ‘Downloadable content’, and this is content, and downloadable, it is DLC.

31. Dominic White says:

Acronym, even. Not abbreviation.

32. Blather Blob says:

An acronym is an abbreviation, so you were right both times. Unless you go with what Wikipedia says is Bell Lab’s original meaning for the word, in which case DLC is an initialism, not an acronym, but still an abbreviation. Unless you consider DLC to be a proper, pronounceable word and therefore an acronym, and you’re looking forward to the upcoming “dalek” for Zeno Clash.

And I am looking forward to it. Not the DLC so much as the sale, since after the demo I figured I’d wait until this game was around $10. I didn’t expect that would be so soon! It’s the sort of game that even though I’m not really that into the gameplay mechanics, I want to play through it just to see all the wonderful creations of the developers.

Also, one of the developers on the Steam forum for Zeno Clash says it will be permanently price-dropped to $15 after the $10 weekend sale, just in case you only notice this sale on Monday afternoon.

33. Joe says:

In fact, not even an acronym. Unless it can be pronounced as a word (“dilluc?”), it’s technically an initialism.

So sorry…

34. Joe says:

Oh yes – more Zeno Clash. Super. I highly recommend it. Etc.

35. Hybrid says:

Definitely buying this now

36. Blather Blob says:

Bought and downloaded! Thanks ACE/Steam!

37. Serondal says:

Woot, just got the sale info forced into my face after playing TF2 , 10 dollars is just the right price ;P Bought and downloading.

38. bookworm8at says:

I’m still not sure which term is more stupid: “Downloadable content” or “WoW-Gayness”.

It’s a difficult decision.

39. Serondal says:

Wow, this game is fucked up! Fighting a blind guy who throws trained parachute squirrels at you with TNT strapped to their back is certainly a change of pace to say the least.

40. Crispy says: