Men Of War Expandalone: Red Tide

By Jim Rossignol on June 26th, 2009 at 8:45 am.

My favourite RTS so far this year will receive an expansion in the Autumn. It’s a 20-mission campaign in a standalone release. Russian publisher overlords 1c say: “Men of War: Red Tide has players take command of the feared “Black Coats,” the nickname given to Soviet Marines, an elite combat group specializing in engagements near the shoreline. The player has direct control of new game units including the Black Coats, new tanks, self-propelled guns, armored trains, landing craft, artillery and new enemy emplaced weapons to capture and use. New air support options include new fighters, bombers, hydroplanes; cruisers, destroyers and gun boats which provide naval fire support.” No word on multiplayer options, however. I hope it supports co-op, which is one of the best features of the original game. (Via Blues, and mysteriously absent from the 1c site.)

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Psychopomp says:

This makes me happy in places it shouldn’t.

I really should get farther than 6 missions into Men of War, but FUCKING WOW ate me alive recently >_>

2. Real Horrorshow says:

Will it have reasonable performance? One of the main things that prevented me from enjoying the demo.

3. Laco says:

@Real Horrorshow:
    Eh? I just tried the demo for the first time last night, and it ran perfectly well on my nearly 3-year-old rig, at max res and high detail.

Loved it, by the way. I can’t wait to get home and waste the entire weekend playing the full version.

4. Tunips says:

Drivable armoured trains.
    I’m sold.

Did they ever put the Japanese into multiplayer? I recall that being promised a while ago.

5. MrBejeebus says:

OoooOOOoooOOOOoooOOOoooOOOOooOOOOooOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

*wants* both the multiplayer and singleplayer stuff in MoW is awesome, I hope the content in this is put into multiplayer, although there ARE quite enough tanks already…

6. Matt Casey says:

This is really bad news… I can’t not buy this. The “… of war” series should come with some kind of heath warning. I’ve been addicted since Soliders.
    I’ve not even finished MoW yet (stuck on the Armastice level, I mined every where but there are too many Tanks!)
    So now I’m going to have to find more excuses to explain why to my Wife an Daughter why I can’t spend more time with them…

7. Heliocentric says:

Barely even played MoW but this is good news. I made the mistake of getting it from d2d turning patching into a chore. Impulse or steam is becoming a must for multiplayer games lately. So few titles have reasonable auto patching. Warcraft 3 did it, is it too much for me to expect you to do it? And even when autopatching exists its stupid like coh needing you to do a dozen half gig incrimental patches on top of a 2 gig update.

So, yeah, i might hold out for a mow pack over steam, how does arma patch? Its so much cheaper on retail but is it worth it?

8. Gabanski83 says:

Awesome news, love the game (apart from the atrocious voice acting). Completed the Soviet, German and Allied campaigns, now stuck on the first of the bonus missions.

Really pleased for the amount of game you get with this title; I’ll definitely be buying this new standalone release.

Anyone know where I can find user made singleplayer maps, if they exist?

9. Dood says:

Oh yes, pleaaase let it have Coop. Playing the MoW campaign with friends is huge fun. Capturing semi-wrecked tanks and repairing them while under fire. Good times.

10. Carra says:

Ah good news. Started the original game last week. And I’m currently playing the last German mission. Great game so far which makes you think first before acting. Although I still prefer the missions in Soldiers: heroes of WW2 which were on a slower scale (~three soldiers or tank). Micromanaging twenty units usually means that most are put somewhere in some trenches while I pick out three and play with those.

11. blerg says:

Wonderful news, easily my favorite game of the last 12 months, if not more.

12. Bongo says:

Sweet.

@Heliocentric: I’ve not had any patching problems… I think it needs bit of space to be able to patch it, but the patches so far have been around 200 – 300 mb each. There are only one patch version too, so no stupid “Patch for german version” etc.

13. the affront says:

Nice.
    Playing Men Of War on a 1-room LAN with friends ranks way up there on my “most fun had with RTS ever on a LAN” scale, even if those huge zerg fights in singleplayer (when not co-op and splitting command) really demand more APM than is enjoyable for me in a relaxed singleplayer experience kind of way (maybe I’m just shit at it, also quite possible :P) – I’d play some StarCraft multiplayer if I wanted that.
    That said, its co-op is so damned fun that SP matters not (and thus if this had none I’d disregard it entirely – would be too bad).

14. Real Horrorshow says:

@Laco – It surprised me too since I rape everything else. It did fine in isometric but when I angled the camera horizontally to use direct fire it didn’t run too good…playable but bad enough to hamper enjoyment.

15. BooleanBob says:

There’s something about the armoured train, on the conceptual level, that makes all right-thinking men tingle inside.

I would love the details of any actual, historical engagements that involved armoured trains. Please don’t fail me, RPS-readin’ history grogs.

16. washingm says:

I actually tried it with X800GT and found it very playable. I was pretty surprised as the graphics are good – especially the explosions.

17. Dominic White says:

So, this is a standalone expansion to two expansions worked into a standalone game by a western publisher?

My head hurts.

18. RogB says:

i’d like to request an ‘even easier’ skill option is MoW is excruciatingly hard, even on the current Easy mode. its kind of put me off it a bit..
    It took me quite a few go’s to even do the first russian mission, and just as i’d got the hang of it, it says ‘okay now youve got the hang of controlling 5 guys, heres an entire town full of 60, which is under attack from all directions by considerably more german units that you have. Have fun’

Baptism of fire?

19. Heliocentric says:

I was talking about d2d not having the up to date patch. But yeah, the patches were not too big.

20. A-Scale says:

I wish this was a game I could get into. The voice acting threw me for a loop, and the uber-micro-realistic options/menu made it nearly impossible for me to sink my teeth into. I think of myself as a hardcore gamer, but an interface like COH is about as complex as I’m willing to get.

21. Lucas says:

Men of War has a unified patcher now (for v1.11.3) that works for all releases except Metaboli’s. I was stuck with the mp-only beta patch until this came out because they didn’t patch my particular game (that 1C EU published). Future versions are supposed to be unified also to avoid the big mess that all the different distributions made the first time around.

22. bah says:

I wonder what new AFVs they’ll have. Anyone know?

23. TychoCelchuuu says:

A-Scale, I made a video to introduce people to the multiplayer aspect of the game; maybe that will help ease the difficulty factor. Men of War isn’t a very hard game to play. It just has a lot of options. Once you get your head around them, it’s as easy to order your units around as in any other RTS. The only difference is that the actual game is much deeper.

24. autogunner says:

anyone ever heard of officers? it seems really similar and is available on steam, but the demo causes a massive crash for me so ive never played it

25. Vinraith says:

@autogunner

Yeah, Officers looks interesting. Awhile back when I was making inquiries about games similar to the old “Close Combat” series someone pointed me towards it. For some reason the Gamersgate version is region restricted, and I hadn’t noticed it was available on Steam. I’ll have to see if I can get the demo to work. It’d be nice to RPS took a look at it…

26. Dodomaster says:

@Carra

I totally agree, the small scale missions were way more intense then mows 50 men missions. If you lost 1 man in soldiers it would get twice as hard to finish it. Also, if 1 of your men died, they wouldn’t respawn the next mission, instead you would have one man less forever(so you would care for every man and be furious(and in tears:)) when one died).

27. The Innocent says:

This makes me excited. I was out of single-player missions (so few!).

28. yhancik says:

Men of War: That Time of the Month

29. destroy.all.monsters says:

Any idea of who the actual developer of this is?

Has anyone here played Silent Heroes: Elite Troops of World War 2 the expandalone to Soldiers:HOWW2?

30. nate says:

does mow red tide have multi player and coop?